Code of Conduct

Thread: Wedding perfume

Default Wedding perfume

I always thought I'd wear Chanel No. 5 on my (December) wedding day, but it has not grown on me. I am leaning towards Joy by Jean Patou or Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. Both smell really nice so I'm not sure. I like how classic Joy is and maybe worry that Coco Mademoiselle is too ubiquitous, although I think my fiance might prefer it. Any thoughts? Also interested in Chloe. I want something sophisticated, feminine, classic, and sexy!
    Last edited by Vanessa7; 8th April 2013 at 11:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wedding perfume

Congratulations on your engagement, Vanessa. And good wedding choices, especially the vintage Joy. And you can't go wrong with a Chanel, in my book.
    Some others to consider: I just bought Creed Fleurissimo last week. It is also highly touted as a wedding perfume. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it. I pair Fleurissimo with Creed Spring Flower lotion to liven up Fleurissimo's more elegant and formal edge. It was actually Grace Kelly's wedding day perfume, her own literally. Vera Wang's Vera Wang is also a classic wedding day perfume and I pair it with the lotion to give it better silage and longevity.

Congrats!

Coco Mademoiselle is yummy and if it expresses you, then go for it . Joy is beautiful also...mostly I just want to say, Congratulations!
    Have you had a chance to sample any of the Chanel Exclusifs like no. 22 or the new 1932, for that matter? You might take one of them for a spin and see what happens. No. 22 always reminds me of pink champagne and has an aura of celebration.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!

A wedding requires something substantial, resplendent, enormous, elegant. A big yes to heavy doses of Joy. Elegant, complex, floral, it seems to fit the occasion well. Even in december, a floral theme seems to fit a wedding well. I have not smelled the latest formulation, apparently, it is now more rosy and less jasmine-y. But should be great nonetheless. In its vintage formulation, the deep drydown would have plenty of sexy civet, not a bad thing.

I agree with you on No 5 or Coco Mademoiselle. No 5 smells great, but it is too restrained for the occasion. Coco Mademoiselle, to me, would be all wrong for a wedding. It's too girly, sweetish - good for the bachelorette party perhaps, but not for the big day.

I also second Tamara's idea of No 22 (which is sold in the expensive Chanel exclusive line). Its opening aldehydic rush (sparkling as per tamara) seems right. And then it has some incense and resins, again, appropriate for church. It is however a bit sweet in the drydown, so you have to be ok with it.

cacio

Thank you, all! Creed Fleurissimo and Chanel No. 22 both sound intriguing!

- - - Updated - - -

Coco Mademoiselle sounds perfect for the bachelorette party! Thanks for the suggestion!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I prefer Chanel No 5 ELIXIR, it's a dewy floral, different that the regular No 5. You've got plenty of time to decide, if the weather will be cold, I'd personally be tempted to go for something warm and spicey like Parfum Sacre or Mauboussin, or since you prefer classic something like Coco or Shalimar.

First, congratulations!

I would second (third) the Chanel 22 suggestion. If you'd like to stay with the Chanel family, I'd also recommend trying Bois des Iles. Chanel 5, 22, and Bois des Iles all share a similar vibe with their aldehydes and smooth bases. Also, all three have an abstract sweet quality on me. (For an extra oomph, you can try the pure perfume version of Bois des Iles.)

Have you tried Chanel Coco Noir yet? It has the patchouli in Coco Mademoiselle, but it's more interesting to me. After the initial patchouli blast, it turns pleasantly spicy. Or how about Coco itself?

Outside Chanel, perhaps Houbigant Quelques Fleurs for something classic?

oohh, the idea of trying classic Coco for the wedding sounds quite good also.

do report back when you can and let us know your impressions and thoughts as they unfold. how exciting!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I agree with Fleurissimo Creed, and also suggest Fracas, Coco Noir and Chanel No5 Eau Premiére.
    Congrats!

Hello again,

I am back, still trying to decide on my wedding perfume (our wedding is in three weeks!). I am still undecided about Joy or Fleurissimo, but I was hoping to get your thoughts on Chanel Gardenia or Chanel Cormomandel.

Thanks so much!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

If you would like a 5ml vial of 31 Rue Cambon, 28 La Pausa, or Bel Respiro....to try and perhaps use on your big day....feel free to contact my wife at the link in my signature. I will let her know to make it " on the house " and Congrats!
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Post Thanks / Like

Getting close ... you must be in the middle of preparations!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Joy wins hands down. More complex and interesting than Fleurissimo.

Gardenia to my nose smells a bit shrill and confused, and not really serious and structured enough for such an occasion. Coromandel is great, but a completely different genre. It's a warm patchouli, certainly cozy and refined. But somehow I'm still tied to the traditional idea of a big elegant floral explosion for a bride.

Whichever you choose, you should spray liberally, to be smelled in the farthest reaches of the hall. It's your day!

cacio

Thank you very much!

I will have to reconsider Joy!

Thank you, WillyB, too! I appreciate the offer!

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to thank you all--I decided on Joy! I appreciate your help!