Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fragrances with reported poor perfromance that perform well for you?

My skin must be strange, because there are very few fragrances that I get really good performance from, yet some notoriously bad performers seems to work well for me.

Gucci Pour Homme II, John Varvatos and Burberry London all last a good 8 hours on me. How do these 3 perform for you and are there any others that work well for you, when most people say they are weak/don't project etc?
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Default Re: Fragrances with reported poor perfromance that perform well for you?

I get eight or so hours from Millesime Imperial which is always reported to have poor longevity due to batch variations.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fragrances with reported poor perfromance that perform well for you?

Horizon by Guy Laroche, a light and often fleeting woody-spicy aquatic tends to perform well on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I get eight or so hours from Millesime Imperial which is always reported to have poor longevity due to batch variations.
    I recently bought MI and gave it it's first full wearing yesterday and it lasted pretty well for me too. Strange smelling frag, but very good!
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Silver Mountain Water, Gucci Pour Homme II.

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    My skin must be strange, because there are very few fragrances that I get really good performance from, yet some notoriously bad performers seems to work well for me.

Gucci Pour Homme II, John Varvatos and Burberry London all last a good 8 hours on me. How do these 3 perform for you and are there any others that work well for you, when most people say they are weak/don't project etc?
    The three you have mentioned all worked 'long time' for me -- are they supposed to be bad performers?My skin is very generous although I spray quite profusely, back of hands, chest and neck. One of Gantiers 'musks' lasted about 3 hours on me but they are notoriously weak.

GPH II does well on my skin as well. I smelled it a good 12hrs on Mon when I wore it. Even got a compliment on it which means that it was projecting fairly well.

Edition Blanche also does well on my skin yet it catches some flack in the longevity department.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been as lucky. Actually the opposite. Sometimes I feel like I was lied to.

The ones that do work for me are the less controversial scents that most everyone agrees works :

Amouage Interlude
    Dior Leather Oud

Are 2 examples. There is no question that these perform.

YSL L' Homme. I get at least 7 hours. With GPH I get at least 6 hours (good enough for me). I get about 6 with Silver Mountain Water.

I actually think that my skin eats this stuff up. When I hear you guys bitching about getting only 5 hours I'm like "wtf? I wish I had that sort of staying power on any of my scents."

Same thing applies for projection

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this yesterday. For over 2 years after I first ordered a sample, I put off buying Idole de Lubin EdT because, although I loved the scent, I thought longevity was lousy. Most reviewers agreed. I waited with breath baited for the EdP only to find it smelled like HP sauce.

Then, recently, the dreadful rumour broke of the EdT's discontinuation. Palpitations ensued during the desperate hunt for the dwindling remaining stock of the EdT.

Anyway, yesterday I wore it properly and gave it a good 10 sprays (plus 1 for luck). That was at 7 AM and it was still easily detectable by 6pm. Not loud but there.

The trouble with samples is that you get so little it makes you wary of spraying 'enough'. Especially as I like to re-test and then keep a bit for reference. So false conclusions can be drawn.

Post Thanks / Like

As LeeRoyDaBoy stated:

Silver Mountain Water

Lasts all day for me and great silage.........

TLS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I was thinking about this yesterday. For over 2 years after I first ordered a sample, I put off buying Idole de Lubin EdT because, although I loved the scent, I thought longevity was lousy. Most reviewers agreed. I waited with breath baited for the EdP only to find it smelled like HP sauce.

Then, recently, the dreadful rumour broke of the EdT's discontinuation. Palpitations ensued during the desperate hunt for the dwindling remaining stock of the EdT.

Anyway, yesterday I wore it properly and gave it a good 10 sprays (plus 1 for luck). That was at 7 AM and it was still easily detectable by 6pm. Not loud but there.

The trouble with samples is that you get so little it makes you wary of spraying 'enough'. Especially as I like to re-test and then keep a bit for reference. So false conclusions can be drawn.

Having to spray yourself 10 times is rather pathetic IMO. Not to mention extremely expensive if we are talking Niche.

A good fragrance for me works it's magic with 4-6 sprays.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

eau fraiche and rochas man

Post Thanks / Like

that's good to hear, i have been wanting to try this for a while and the notes look promising. I was just skeptical because some people say it goes away before the 4 hour mark.
    ANDERSON = GOAT

I get OUTSTANDING longevity from 3 sprays of Gucci Pour Homme II. I'd say at least 10 hours. I get really good longevity from John Varvatos original too. gain, just 3 sprays. But here's a frustrating one for me: I barely got 4 hours from CdG 2 Man. It performed so poorly on my skin that I ended up selling it, which is odd since many get excellent longevity from 2 Man. So odd.

I recently rediscovered Happy For Men and I got around 8 hours from it, which seems to be more than most people get. What an underrated spring/summer scent that one is. And what a perfect name.
    Anybody want to get rid of H.O.T. Always? Andy Warhol? I've got vintage M7 & others in my swap list here.

I agree with Jack, I get really good longevity from my bottle of MI...probably 8 hours or more.
    Fragrance blog returning in May 2014!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Having to spray yourself 10 times is rather pathetic IMO. Not to mention extremely expensive if we are talking Niche.

Bully for you!

Gucci Pour Homme II and Burberry London both perform quite well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, if you have to spray more than four times that's just pathetic (on the cologne's part). I expect more from a scent that I paid good money for. If I spray more than that I get nervous that I'm going to clear the room.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    To me, if you have to spray more than four times that's just pathetic (on the cologne's part). I expect more from a scent that I paid good money for. If I spray more than that I get nervous that I'm going to clear the room.
    THiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiS!!!!!
    Anybody want to get rid of H.O.T. Always? Andy Warhol? I've got vintage M7 & others in my swap list here.

Post Thanks / Like

GPH II is always a good performer for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see lots of you also getting good performance from GPH II, this gets quite a raw deal from a performance point of view on YouTube in particular.
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Post Thanks / Like

Bully for you!
    LOL

I used to watch Monty Python. After re reading my post it does sound a little pissy....sorry

Cheers Mate

Post Thanks / Like

I get 7-8 hours from John Varvatos original (and 10+ hours from John Varvatos Vintage). And I get 6-8 hours from Ananas Fizz. I even got 6+ hours from Bvlgari The Vert (EdC strength).
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Most scents last pretty well on me. John Varvatos I can smell at the end of a work day, so I get 8+ hours from it.

I never get why people say Creeds have poor longevity. They all last all day for me. I can smell them 8-12 hours or more later. Silver Mountain Water in particular has monstrous longevity on me.

CdG has the poorest longevity for me, but still, I get about 6 hours on 2 sprays, and I easily get 8 if I up the number of sprays to 3-4.

My worst performing scent is Santa Maria Novella (the cologne) which I only get a max of 3-4 hours from, but that's to be expected from a traditional EDC.

Gucci PH2 and D&G the One

Post Thanks / Like

Set sail St.Barts. This stuff lasts a long time on my skin (8+ hours).
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Dior Homme Sport 2012, Mauboussin M Generation, Zino Davidoff, Pal Zileri Viaggio D'Africa, and Rive Gauche.

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London, I usually get 6-8 hours.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    THiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiS!!!!!
    Its comments like these that land us with the stuff we're getting now.

You say "it should only require 4-6 or whatever arbitrary number you thought of" based on what?

Your budget? The muscle power of your finger? Your perceived perfume experience?

Is all this based on your very subjective opinion or are you in some way professionally qualified to make an objective point?

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

+1 Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Its comments like these that land us with the stuff we're getting now.
    Huh ? You mean we get rewarded with weak fragrances because we ask for stronger perfumes ?

I think it is fairly reasonable to expect a fragrance to work for you within the 4-6 spray range. If you expect them to work with less sprays then you either have ideal skin for fragrances or are looking for the Holy Grail. Not many fragrances including those during the 80's did anything with any less.....and those were the days.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first got my current bottle of Silver Mountain Water I'd only get 4-5hrs, somehow it has blossomed giving 12hrs easy with 1 generous slow spray to the chest, with excellent projection for the first 4 or so, in fact, if I used more squirts I'd become that guy. D&G the one last 8hrs minimum, with nice projection for 3-4 hrs using 2 squirts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    When I first got my current bottle of Silver Mountain Water I'd only get 4-5hrs, somehow it has blossomed giving 12hrs easy with 1 generous slow spray to the chest, with excellent projection for the first 4 or so, in fact, if I used more squirts I'd become that guy. D&G the one last 8hrs minimum, with nice projection for 3-4 hrs using 2 squirts.
    Interesting about D & G the one. This has gotten particularly bad reviews for lasting power
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Post Thanks / Like

Same here for MI and also Original Vetiver. They last forever on me and my clothes.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't worry me as once I know a frag's strength I will dose accordingly. If the cologne is 'pathetic' the risks of room clearing are pretty small anyway!

LOL

I used to watch Monty Python. After re reading my post it does sound a little pissy....sorry

Cheers Mate

Expecting all frags to have similar longevity is analogous to expecting all clothes to have similar warmth, regardless of the material. Different batches of chemicals will have different characeteristics and need dosing accordingly. Demanding great longevity from a self-imposed maximum nuimber of sprays will rule out a lot of scents you might enjoy.

Why impose an arbitrary upper limit of 6 sprays? Why not 7? Or 11? These things aren't set in stone and vary from frag to frag and person to person. I do think some of these 'rules' are responsible for the all-too-common longevity gripes (not to mention suspicions of fakes, lies etc).

I have almost 200 bottles, so if I want to spray Idole de Lubin 11 times, it'll still take me years to use it up, as I will probably only wear it a handful of times a year! I might be more fussy if I had a smaller wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

D&G The One - I get 6 to 10 hours from 4 sprays of this stuff. This is one of my all time favorite scents so I am very thrilled that I get the longevity out of it that I do!!!

- - - Updated - - -

This doesn't worry me as once I know a frag's strength I will dose accordingly. If the cologne is 'pathetic' the risks of room clearing are pretty small anyway!

Expecting all frags to have similar longevity is analogous to expecting all clothes to have similar warmth, regardless of the material. Different batches of chemicals will have different characeteristics and need dosing accordingly. Demanding great longevity from a self-imposed maximum nuimber of sprays will rule out a lot of scents you might enjoy.

Why impose an arbitrary upper limit of 6 sprays? Why not 7? Or 11? These things aren't set in stone and vary from frag to frag and person to person. I do think some of these 'rules' are responsible for the all-too-common longevity gripes (not to mention suspicions of fakes, lies etc).

I have almost 200 bottles, so if I want to spray Idole de Lubin 11 times, it'll still take me years to use it up, as I will probably only wear it a handful of times a year! I might be more fussy if I had a smaller wardrobe.
    I kind of think the same way you do... each frag is different in composition and how it reacts to my skin so if I need to spray something 8 to 10 sprays to make it last all day then I will. This does not mean this fragrance has very poor longevity because the next person using this may only need 3 sprays and it will last all day.

My only worry is that I may perceive a fragrance to be very weak when I am wearing it but it is only weak to me and not the people I am around. Lucky for me my friends / family and those I work with do not hesitate to tell me I have over sprayed .
    Living each day one spray at a time

I recently rediscovered Happy For Men and I got around 8 hours from it, which seems to be more than most people get. What an underrated spring/summer scent that one is. And what a perfect name.[/QUOTE]

Holy longevity -- 8 hours from Happy? I have always been put off by its supposed lack of...thinking it was more of a 'spritz'. Will purchase now.

Post Thanks / Like

Then I'm pathetic
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Tom Ford „Jasmin Musk”; both, nice sillage and longevity to/on me.

Rochas Man - I've heard a lot people say it doesn't project or last well and is mainly just a skin scent. I wore it the other day in fairly chilly weather (3 skin sprays) and it projected well for 6-8 hours & lasted as a skin scent well into the evening, still with a fair amount of sillage.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot depends on what you're looking for out of a fragrance. I can get 8+ hours out of Bvlgari pour Homme, but I also expect/appreciate mellow skin scents. If you're looking for something that has major projection at the 8+ hour mark, there's really a much narrower range of fragrances that can accommodate that.

Post Thanks / Like

burberry london
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London & La Nuit de L'Homme
    Spring-Autumn : Aqua Fahrenheit & Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Summer : Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Indispensible : The Dreamer & Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Pour Homme & Bvlgari Aqva

I have a travel size bottle of the one that can last all day. Litterally ive smelled my self in the morning.. Big bottle doesnt. Sad but true... I actually bought a couple other travel size bottles since then... Never tried them yet but I hope they last as long as the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Allure Edition Blanche
    Mugler Pure Shot

I get excellent longevity from both + very good projection.

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

Platinum Egoiste
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud