Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Dior Homme Intense

Do women really like the smell of this? I bought a decant and I'm not saying it's a bad smell, just different. Smells like a women's make up bag. I haven't worn it yet. Does it smell better once it dries down? I'm assuming this is a night out fragrance only?

Banned

Default Re: Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by buckjunkie View Post
    Do women really like the smell of this? I bought a decant and I'm not saying it's a bad smell, just different. Smells like a women's make up bag. I haven't worn it yet. Does it smell better once it dries down? I'm assuming this is a night out fragrance only?
    Whats wrong with the smell of women's make up bag?

Most women love the smell of DHI. I haven't seen one that didn't yet.

and yes i would only recommend it for nightouts and weekends. Will get you a lot of compliments on cold winter nights.

Great frag IMO. Can be worn day or night. Definitely one of my favorites.

ALL women I've came in contact with while wearing DHI have most definitely loved the smell. Perfect night out, winter, date scent. My holy grail!!
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Banned
    Blog Entries

top ten stuff definately. i have 3 bottles

If you associate iris, cocoa or vanilla with a woman's make up bag then so be it. This stuff smells like the aforementioned and women love it as do many men

Have never heard a woman complain of a guy wearing this before.

The make up bag beginning definitely is an aquired taste, but now i love it. And the vanilla coco drydown is amazing. I have the reformulated version, but i scored a vintage bottle this weekend at the mall at some random perfume store. They had one bottle left buried behind a bunch of junk.

Definitely one of my top 3, and never have seen a lady complaining on it.

If someone were to tell you that it smells amazing, and it yes the dry down is also amazing, will it make you like it any better?

if you don't like it, you don't like it. Good thing you only bought a decant!

Basenotes Plus

Buckjunkie, if I became a woman I think I still wouldn't like it.

Always get compliments when I wear it. I have both the reformulation and vintage, and they never fail to deliver.

Banned
    Blog Entries

dior homme intense is pretty different than stuff out there. women may find it sexy, or they may find it too powdery. don't worry about pleasing women (women are most pleased when you don't try to please them).

I own it, and I certainly can appreciate the quality. However, I don't wear it in public very often.

I despise it. My woman told me to "never buy this" along with Fahrenheit.

Received two compliments from this one from ladies....

"You smell like baby powder you smell good"

"Whatever you are wearing smells so sexy"
    Last edited by frostyicy; 9th April 2013 at 01:08 PM.

keep using it till you get past that makeup smelling phase and then you might enjoy the scent a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    ALL women I've came in contact with while wearing DHI have most definitely loved the smell. Perfect night out, winter, date scent. My holy grail!!
    You use the reformulation or vintage ? Not that it matters to my nose, because both are excellent.

A great scent.

Definitely not a "manly" scent, but women absolutely love it. Not for every man or women to love.
    As I've stated before and others have too, DHI is my man whore scent. I'm single, mid twenties, I dress quite well suave or what have you and DHI fits my persona perfectly when it comes to my self and the opposite sex.

If I were in a relationship, i don't think I would wear it as much, unless my significant other voiced their liking for it. But as i'am single now, i love the attention that comes from women while wearing DHI
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

To my nose at least, Dior Homme has a far more pronounced makeup bag/lipstick note, while DHI an additional gourmand touch (possibly sensing vanilla, even dark chocolate, marzipan and mocha notes). While still being a rather heavy and thus almost exclusively evening wear fragrance, I still think that quite a few subtleties and complex facets are quite likely to be sensed in DHI.

Sound Scents

I have no idea if "women" like it, but I certainly don't...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Wore it on a date or two, but didn't receive any compliments. A few women smelled it on me after we'd started dating, and said they preferred my other "date night" colognes like The One, New Haarlem, or even Neroli Portofino. DHI/DH were then moved to the "nighttime formal event" slot, along with Chergui.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    dior homme intense is pretty different than stuff out there. women may find it sexy, or they may find it too powdery. don't worry about pleasing women (women are most pleased when you don't try to please them).
    Won't that mean he'd be trying to please women by not trying to please them?
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Basenotes Junkie

DHI is effing amazing. Great for that special occasion in a suit and tie. I think it can also be worn on summer nights if sprayed lightly. Beautiful, just beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    You use the reformulation or vintage ? Not that it matters to my nose, because both are excellent.
    I have both and have been complimented on both versions.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Some women will like it. I think mine probably wouldn't (too sweet, too much vanilla, perhaps) but I haven't tried it out yet.

The reformulation debate has gone on now for many months. IMO the reformulation is just as good as the vintage, with very minor differences. While sillage and projection may be slightly better in the vintage, the reformulation lasts just as long. I don't think Dior used cheaper ingredients per say, but Francois Demachy did one heck of a job making the reform as close to the original as possible. I hope it's never discontinued.

To answer your question, yes most women seem to like it while just as many are indifferent. Yet to meet one who disliked it. Wearing it won't get them running after you unless you have some other kind of extraordinary appeal. Once you accumulate a few hundred bottles chasing that one lady killer, you'll finally understand what some folk say when they tell you to 'wear fragrance for you'.

The reformulation is just as good. I have the vintage and the new stuff smells 99% the same to me.
    Last edited by Critic; 10th April 2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: duplicate
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Not sure about most women, but my wife is ho-hum on it. While she doesn't dislike it, it doesn't do anything special for her.

in short, women love this stuff. I've had a female friend of mine smell aventus, MI, pure malt, and neither of the three elicited the response that DHI did.

DHI is a very safe lady killer IMO. though I can see how some men may not like it.

easy on the spray though... stuff is POTENT.

Women will like it. You see, women all have the same tastes.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Women will like it. You see, women all have the same tastes.
    +1 Thanks, LloydL for bringing some needed reason to this discussion

This is one of the fragrances that grow on you. It is a bit different, especially the top note.

I love the fragrance from beginning to end, but the drydown is just darn amazing. In fact I sprayed some of the reform on my forearm last night and there's still a trace of it. That's 20 hours ago!

OP, have you worn your sample yet?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Totally agree with you. Love DHI from beginning to end.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    OP, have you worn your sample yet?
    I haven't worn it in public yet, but I did try it. It definitely smells better to me when it dries down. I can smell the cocoa in it.

Just go easy on the sprays, or the amazing smoothness turns.. Not so smooth.
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I just got my first bottle of DHI. First full wearing today. Maybe I am anosmic but it is not a powerhouse on my skin by any means. I put 3 sprays on under my shirt (done up with a tie, which is how I wear all my fragrances to work). I added 2 more mid morning. I catch the odd whiff but nothing overpowering by any means. My daughter said she could smell it faintly this morning. An all too familiar story for me. Same deal with Fahrenheit. I like it but good thing I got 100 ml.

This fragrance is Top 10 material for sure. Not only because it smells so damn good, but because the girls loves it too!

Without a doubt!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    This fragrance is Top 10 material for sure. Not only because it smells so damn good, but because the girls loves it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    I just got my first bottle of DHI. First full wearing today. Maybe I am anosmic but it is not a powerhouse on my skin by any means. I put 3 sprays on under my shirt (done up with a tie, which is how I wear all my fragrances to work). I added 2 more mid morning. I catch the odd whiff but nothing overpowering by any means. My daughter said she could smell it faintly this morning. An all too familiar story for me. Same deal with Fahrenheit. I like it but good thing I got 100 ml.
    Boy oh boy wait till you get accustomed to it, you're gonna feel bad about putting that much on, I know I did as I was anosmic to it for a couple of days and then it changed around the 4th day, now 2 sprays are more than enough ( that is if your bottle is a real one)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It's a wonderful fragrance. I admire it greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by craniumbash View Post
    Boy oh boy wait till you get accustomed to it, you're gonna feel bad about putting that much on, I know I did as I was anosmic to it for a couple of days and then it changed around the 4th day, now 2 sprays are more than enough ( that is if your bottle is a real one)
    Quite possibly Sir. As I have continued to wear Fahrenheit, I have found it to be increasingly noticeable. Perhaps the same will happen with DHI. Hopefully it will, before I choke out all around me.