Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Encre Noire: Eau Hell No!

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    One day last summer after a hard day of physical labor, I needed to quickly head for the grocery store before it closed. There was a bottle of Encre Noire on the shelf as I passed toward my door so I grabbed the bottle and gave a couple of sprays to my neck... Standing in line with my groceries, I eventually got near the register and the very attractive blond-haired, blue-eyed eighteenish check-out girl abruptly perked up, scoped out the various people in line and quickly settled on me and said "O.M.G. do you smell great!"
    Now... I'm seventy-ish and, believe me, I usually don't get that kind of attention from a normal teenage girl, let alone the very attractive ones. I have no choice but to believe she was genuinely expressing her opinion of Encre Noire. It's a great scent!
    Add that story to the 'sticky' thread at the top of the page!

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Exactly.

Criticising a well respected fragrance is one thing. I have no problem with that. Criticising the people who like it is just being fallacious and in this case hypocritical in some respects since the OP is doing the very thing that he claims wearers of EN are essentially doing: looking for attention by being trolls. It's worked too!

Criticisms aside, I wonder what the EDP is like compared to the EDT. Does anybody know?

EDP:

EDT:
    The EDP is actually Encre Noire pour Femme and has nothing to do with EN pour Homme. There's no Vetiver in the ladies' one.
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Are you sure you are not thinking about Encre Noire Pour Elle??

All reviews of the EN EDP do mention vetiver, in stronger concentration than EDT, though perhaps not quite as strong as "EDP" would suggest. I guess most of the exorbitant price tag of the EDP is for the crystal flacon, not necessarily the juice being that much better than the EDT. Lalique is famous for making over the top flacons and selling them for $2000-$3000, or more... (can't wait to try their new Bentley fragrance!)
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by mtheory8 View Post
    my problem is when people attack the OP PERSONALLY for having a strong opinion on a little bottle of juice. like how dare he spread false rumors and facetious verbal assault on the beloved Encre Noire, we gotta teach him a lesson!

he gave a vivid description of what he think the juice is, he gave reasons to his opinion, and thats what makes a good review.

an equally strong, "over the top", 5 paragraph vivid PRAISE of the same fragrance would not be put down would it? so it has nothing to do with the way he reviewed it, but everything to do with his opinion.

I mean, the fact that you guys are attacking some dude's opinion on a bottle of juice is just silly. honestly. did he say something about your family? your religion? no... its a bottle of scented water man...
    Firstly there is no reason to get hyper, are you the OP's defense lawyer, it is a forum not a judicial court. I am not going to bother addressing the rest of your harangue.

MarquisdeSod, this is the best topic I have seen in years on this forum.
    I've said it before, I'm a fan of your posts.
    The funny thing is, that I don't agree with what you said about Kouros and such.
    I do agree that EN has a sharp and pungent vetiver that I don't like either.
    Nobody should feel offended. MarquisdeSod is not holding back and I love that.
    Please add this review to the Fragrance Directory.
    I'm looking forward to more of your reviews.
    You should try Eau Sauvage Parfum. It's my holy grail vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    There's not even anything complex about EN. It's HUGE Vetiver. Ink? Really?
    Yes, ink, really. Sumi ink. Not the stuff that resides in plastic tubes and comes out of ball points.

I have no problem with someone disliking a fragrance I like. I do have a problem with someone who claims that those who like something he dislikes must enjoy offending people.The Op didn't just register his opinion. He impugned the character of anybody who might not share his extraordinarily pinched taste.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

it smells exactly like vetiver by guerlain for me, not my piece of cake..

I'm mixed on Encre Noire. I do like it, but the synthetic/inky vibe in the drydown is not my favorite.

I'm thinking Timbuktu may be a better vetiver for me.

Vetiver with mistery and darkness in its composition, definitely not an everyday scent
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Especially the latest formulation is great.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps" (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Dior Sauvage (Francois Demachy,2015)

Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas/Roger Pellegrino,1980)
    Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir [vintage] (Pierre Wargnye,1982)
    Aventus by Creed (Olivier Creed/Erwin Creed,2010)
    Armani Code Special Blend (2015)
    Armani Code/Black Code (Antoine Maisondieu/Antoine Lie,2004)
    YSL La Nuit de l'homme (Anne Flipo/Pierre Wargnye/Dominique Ropion,2009)

Basenotes Plus

Encre Noire is one of my favourites. But then I love vetiver. YMMV.
    I love cologne.

I really dislike EN, and it is not at all fresh smelling. Not at all a scent I would want to project. I like Guerlain's take much better, in fact that one would be a favorite if they toned down the spice just a bit.

OP, congratulations that was the dumbest post I've had the pleasure of reading this month. You would've saved everyone the time having to read through paragraph after paragraph by simply stating "I don't care/like encre noir." I don't even like EN, for the record. Have some negs for your post.
    Currently wearing: Full Incense by Montale

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty Coppersmith View Post
    I really dislike EN, and it is not at all fresh smelling. Not at all a scent I would want to project. I like Guerlain's take much better, in fact that one would be a favorite if they toned down the spice just a bit.
    Ha! Guerlain Vetiver is a tad sour and entirely musty to my nose. EN blows it out of the water, in my humble opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    One day last summer after a hard day of physical labor, I needed to quickly head for the grocery store before it closed. There was a bottle of Encre Noire on the shelf as I passed toward my door so I grabbed the bottle and gave a couple of sprays to my neck... Standing in line with my groceries, I eventually got near the register and the very attractive blond-haired, blue-eyed eighteenish check-out girl abruptly perked up, scoped out the various people in line and quickly settled on me and said "O.M.G. do you smell great!"
    Now... I'm seventy-ish and, believe me, I usually don't get that kind of attention from a normal teenage girl, let alone the very attractive ones. I have no choice but to believe she was genuinely expressing her opinion of Encre Noire. It's a great scent!
    This happens to be my favorite post in the thread.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    You would've saved everyone the time having to read through paragraph after paragraph by simply stating "I don't care/like encre noir."
    Could've saved yourself some time by reading the thread title, but more than half of those five words weren't English, so I can understand that there may have been some struggles involved.

Meh, horses for courses ... that's English for YMMV, or some such.

It's nice stuff.

There, three lines.

EN is something I enjoy wearing anywhere and anytime; it's a beautiful fragrance that is appropriate for any occasion. I don't find it too "dark," as the musk in the dry down softens it and adds to it's beauty. I actually purchased a back up bottle as a hedge against possible reformulation. Amazing reading how different people's perception of a fragrance can be!
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Herms by Herms