Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down Encre Noire: Eau Hell No!

There is a class of fragrances people buy, not because they are enjoyable, but because they want to see if they can get away with wearing them publicly, this is one of those fragrances. It's in the same league as Secretions Magnifique, and Kuros, an olfactory dare to those around you "I dare you to tell me I reek!" Wearing Encre Noire is like being in a wedding party and farting in your tuxedo, oh the gaucheness, the cheek, how jejune! It's not a mature fragrance, it's a "pull my finger" fragrance for those out to passive aggressively assault others around them.

I can kind of understand the draw of this fragrance to some conspicuous consumers out to show how stinky they can get and pull it off, but this stuff can only be worn as a dare or the olifactory equivalent of a power tie. It's got a sharp vetiver that just doesn't stop, it's abrasive and unpleasant from start to finish. Longevity? It's a beast, mercilessly clinging to you like an infernal leech sucking away your resolve to go on, you wanting only to run home and shower repeatedly.

Suffice it to say I hated everything about this fragrance, top, mid, base. Its eau de rotting wood and mulch. It starts as a very chemically vetiver, and it stays that way throughout, though mercifully, it doesn't project much after the first hour, I actually found myself avoiding people so they didn't have to smell me. This stuff is headache inducing and even two sprays had me gagging by lunch time; I would say this is a definite smell before purchase.

As for popular appeal, I validated my suspicions by having a couple of friends, male and female smell it, all found it highly objectionable with one commenting that it smells like compost. Since decomposing organic matter isn't what I want to smell like throughout my day, I won't be wearing Encre Noire ever again (thank god). I'm as big a fan of grit and balls masculinity in my fragrance as the next guy, I love Gucci pour Homme I, Dirty English, and Bang, but Encre Noire isn't manly, it's just just rank.

I realize Encre Noire is widely acclaimed, but so was Beavis and Butthead do America and Titanic; to quote Kierkegaard "the crowd is untruth" this stuff is totally unwearable. Even those who give it kudos either confess they don't wear it often or call it a "suit and tie" fragrance (I.e. I might wear it once a year, but will probably reach for the Guerlain when the time really comes). I can see liking it as a piece of conceptual fragrance art or something, but what's the point of a fragrance you can't wear anywhere without being self conscious about the appropriateness of it...thumbs way down folks.

Default Re: Encre Noire: Eau Hell No!

Decent frag IMO. I wear it in the fall and winter months.

To compare Encre Noire and Beavis & Butthead Do America to Titanic is just appalling. Titanic sucks!!!

I know that some people do not like the dry, stark aroma. I once was in a training seminar with a girl who mentioned that something smells like 'headlice treatment'. I draw a distinction between 'synthetic' and 'chemical' - EN may smell synthetic, but to me it doesn't smell chemical.
    Granted, this woman could not use boolean operators to save her life, and also mentioned her fondness for the tv program Two and a Half Men, so her opinion was dismissed almost immediately.

I don't see EN in the same vein of fragrance as Kouros and DEFINITELY not SM. EN is not a "let's see how obnoxious I can be", nor is it akin to breaking wind in a tuxedo.
    I find it to be really rather wearable, and the vast majority of people that smell it really like it. I believe the very best time to wear it is in casual clothes on a rather chilly autumn day, and I sooner reach for the smoother and less dry Sycomore on days where I'll be in meetings, but I do occasionally* wear EN in the office and I think it's entirely appropriate.

I, too, dislike the approach of prioritising the artistry of a fragrance at the expense of wearability, and my digs at Andy Tauer are numerous and constant. I do not, however, view EN as avant-garde or wildly experimental, and I must express surprise that you consider Dirty English an overtly masculine fragrance.

I think EN is a very nice fragrance that smells different to most other fragrances out there, but it's no Secretions Magnifique.

*With a rotation of over 150 fragrances I don't wear many fragrances more than a few times a year anyway.

Marquis, do you enjoy other vetiver fragrances?

I didn't like this one much when I smelled it, but I think it was because I had never smelled vetiver. But it's since grown on me, and I like it quite a bit. It's my SOTD. To me, I get a nice smokey wet wood smell which reminds me of camping and the forest. Definitely not a crowd pleaser and a try before you buy frag.

I think it smells very natural. It is a dark, "basenoty", woody, soft perfume . I don't think it is difficult to wear it at all. I think it is a very masculine fragrance and I wear it proudly.

I think it's a wonderful scent. Glad I own it.

It's a "chemical nightmare" to me but thankfully I found some old ones that do what I hoped EN would do in a "natural" way, for example Pierre Cardin's Paradoxe. Due to regulations or cost cutting it's hard to find those scents any more; even niche companies often use large amounts of iso e super and other chemicals that seem to irritate me.

I couldn't help laughing at how outraged you are. Sorry. It`s not disdain, it`s sympathy.

I actually like Encre Noire and I`m not fond of stinky scents. Whenever I wear it I give it one third of a spray - twice (sorry I`ve never been a math genious) because it projects and lasts a lot. I actually get just a few droplets of it and it gives me a nice warming sillage throughout the day (and it usually gets me compliments).

I actually felt like you when I first smelled Guerlain Vetiver at a store. It smelled like a decaying carcass to me, believe it or not.
    "Unfortunately" I had already blind ordered a bottle. I went to the store again a few days later and I couldn`t believe how awful it smelled.

When mine arrived, I didn`t think it smelled like a dead animal anymore. This time it was sickingly sweet! I know it`s crazy but that`s how I perceived it. Anyway, I kept on sniffing the bottles (of the 20 or so fragrances I bought) and it suddenly started to catch my attention. I started wearing it. It was my signature scent in 2012 and the first fragrance I actually reordered. Crazy!

It might take some time until you start liking your Encre Noire. But anyway, that might just not happen because people just have different tastes and that`s how it goes. I could never pull off The Dreamer, for instance. It`s just so overhyped here and for me it`s simply AWFUL, strong, impossible.

Bon courage!

I love the way it smells, and I'm not one who typically enjoys 'stinkers.'

For some reason I really like wearing it to bed. But I'll wear it out too.

Early on in my hobby I remember thinking it stunk, but I quickly acquired a taste for it. It doesn't smell unusual to me at all anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I love the way it smells, and I'm not one who typically enjoys 'stinkers.'

For some reason I really like wearing it to bed. But I'll wear it out too.

Early on in my hobby I remember thinking it stunk, but I quickly acquired a taste for it. It doesn't smell unusual to me at all anymore.
    I agree that "stinker" is for a scent like Kouros (and anyone with a bottle of Kouros he doesn't want can PM me about a swap LOL), whereas EN is a scent some of us find too "chemical" or "synthetic."

I am quite surprised at this comparison between vetivers and rotting stuff. To me vetiver smells quintessentially fresh and natural. Perhaps you are hypersensitive to some material present in some of these perfumes. Encre Noire is full of woody ambery materials (iso e in particular), and while I like it at first, I do find it too synthetic smelling eventually, so I can see your point as being too sharp and synthetic. Sycomore occupies the same territory, but does it much better than the earlier EN, and smells vastly more natural and pleasant.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I am quite surprised at this comparison between vetivers and rotting stuff. To me vetiver smells quintessentially fresh and natural...

cacio
    Our cultural background influences a lot! Lavender, for example, it typically associated with masculine fragrances out there whereas in Brazil, where I live, it's associated with a woman's fragrance.

I can tell you that vetiver is not a "fresh" smell to an average brazilian nose! (DanielPlainview?)

Other terms like "old lady", "christmasy" and "soapy" are also rather subjective if that cultural background is taken into account.

BTW, I still haven't smelled Sycomore and I believe I'm going to love it!
    Last edited by Duver; 10th April 2013 at 04:44 AM.

Interesting. I can see how associations change from country to country.

But I still wonder about vetiver. If you get the chance, you should try Vetiver Extraordinaire. That's the freshest, zingiest vetiver around. If that still smells rotten, I am really confused ...

cacio

Wow, now that is a decided opinion! I am one of those people who like Encre Noire.

Maybe it's the Iso E Super?
    Last edited by Primrose; 10th April 2013 at 08:07 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    To compare Encre Noire and Beavis & Butthead Do America to Titanic is just appalling. Titanic sucks!!!

I know that some people do not like the dry, stark aroma. I once was in a training seminar with a girl who mentioned that something smells like 'headlice treatment'. I draw a distinction between 'synthetic' and 'chemical' - EN may smell synthetic, but to me it doesn't smell chemical.
    Granted, this woman could not use boolean operators to save her life, and also mentioned her fondness for the tv program Two and a Half Men, so her opinion was dismissed almost immediately.

I don't see EN in the same vein of fragrance as Kouros and DEFINITELY not SM. EN is not a "let's see how obnoxious I can be", nor is it akin to breaking wind in a tuxedo.
    I find it to be really rather wearable, and the vast majority of people that smell it really like it. I believe the very best time to wear it is in casual clothes on a rather chilly autumn day, and I sooner reach for the smoother and less dry Sycomore on days where I'll be in meetings, but I do occasionally* wear EN in the office and I think it's entirely appropriate.

I, too, dislike the approach of prioritising the artistry of a fragrance at the expense of wearability, and my digs at Andy Tauer are numerous and constant. I do not, however, view EN as avant-garde or wildly experimental, and I must express surprise that you consider Dirty English an overtly masculine fragrance.

I think EN is a very nice fragrance that smells different to most other fragrances out there, but it's no Secretions Magnifique.

*With a rotation of over 150 fragrances I don't wear many fragrances more than a few times a year anyway.
    Tim,

nice post. That first paragraph is gold. Two + a half men. LOL

Sound Scents

Didn't you have the same kind of over-the-top outlandish commentary about Terre d'Hermes? If that is how you feel so be it, but I love the stuff (both of them).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I really cannot understand such opinions.

Its one thing not to like it but its another to write paragraph after paragraph bad mouthing a perfume.

Especially because you are very wrong in your opinion.

Given the stats (price, brand not being an actual perfumery, availability) it is an excellent perfume and an accolade among designer perfumes.

When I don't like something, I try to learn why and then in the end I simply say I disliked it for so and so reason. I don't condescend it and the people who enjoy it.

for swap/sale:

Sounds like you just don't like vetiver. Just stick to the aquatics, let the big boys rock the vetiver
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

EN is great. Masculine and very unique between designer scents. My girlfriend, mother and father also love it.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Basenotes Plus

EN is absolutely awesome, and nowhere near the Secretions Magnifique category of scents. On the contrary, it smells incredibly fresh, clean, almost clinical in its cleanliness. It smells like freshly pressed linens, or a just-starched dress shirt with a bit of starch spray still in the air. Yes, it is extremely dry, bone dry, with zero flowery/sweet/sugary things that most other fragrances are based on. Perhaps that's why it's not working for you, as you are expecting something different. Do you like vetivers at all? Have you tried Chanel Sycomore by any chance? It's the closest thing you can get to Encre Noir, with a touch of burnt leaves added to the mix, but underneath that it's pretty much dry vetiver - just like ER. Sycomore is praised for its scent and quality (rightfully so), and I definitely keep Encre Noir in the very same category, in the same playing field. If you don't like ER because it's too dry for you, it may just be that dry vetiver and/or dry woodsy scents are not your thing, in which case - simply move on to something else. Don't knock ER just because it doesn't work for you. It's not a nasty scent made to make people gag by any means, it is quite the opposite - for those who love dry woods and vetiver - it's very very close to the holy grail, and it smells A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    an olfactory dare to those around you "I dare you to tell me I reek!" Wearing Encre Noire is like being in a wedding party and farting in your tuxedo, oh the gaucheness, the cheek, how jejune! It's not a mature fragrance, it's a "pull my finger" fragrance for those out to passive aggressively assault others around them.

Longevity? It's a beast, mercilessly clinging to you like an infernal leech sucking away your resolve to go on, you wanting only to run home and shower repeatedly.

Suffice it to say I hated everything about this fragrance, top, mid, base. Its eau de rotting wood and mulch.

I'm as big a fan of grit and balls masculinity in my fragrance as the next guy, I love Gucci pour Homme I, Dirty English, and Bang, but Encre Noire isn't manly, it's just just rank.

I realize Encre Noire is widely acclaimed, but so was Beavis and Butthead do America and Titanic; to quote Kierkegaard "the crowd is untruth" this stuff is totally unwearable. Even those who give it kudos either confess they don't wear it often or call it a "suit and tie" fragrance (I.e. I might wear it once a year, but will probably reach for the Guerlain when the time really comes).
    Never smelled the scent, but LOL.

Like many scents, I may not ultimately want to wear this post myself, but I can appreciated the skill and artistry that has gone into its composition. I still want to try it, and I'm pretty sure it's a scent that I'll like.

Riley: I actually don't mind Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver and Occitane's Vetyver is a nice Cyprus Vetyver I find quite wearable.im not anti-vetiver, I'm anti- filthy filthy chemical spill vetiver a la Encre Noire. I mean if I had a choice I wouldn't reach for a Vetiver as my staple fragrance, but I don't find them objectionable per se.

Finally someone that hates EN as much as me. Overpowering obnoxious Vetiver Unrelenting.

It's the kind of crap that you can almost taste.

I love the stuff! I wear it all the time and get complimented every time I do. I cant detect any rotting smell at all. Very fresh and snappy IMO. Guess that leaves more EN for the rest of us.

Hating Vetiver on Basenotes is blasphemy lol.
    I think Encre Noir is wonderful, I have 2 bottles of it, I prefer it to sycomore now. Its complex yet and simple at the same time.

Riley: I actually don't mind Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver and Occitane's Vetyver is a nice Cyprus Vetyver I find quite wearable.im not anti-vetiver, I'm anti- filthy filthy chemical spill vetiver a la Encre Noire. I mean if I had a choice I wouldn't reach for a Vetiver as my staple fragrance, but I don't find them objectionable per se.
    IMO you dont like raw vetiver note.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver shouldnt not even have vetiver in its name. Vetiver there is so light.
    And L Occitane has prominent spicy and sweet notes that makes it very different. I personaly like this one too.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Encre Noire is a fragrance that I enjoy and am happy to own. It's masculine and unique. Decent juice!

What's crazy, IMO, is how regulations prevent scents being made the way they had been for decades, but EN is fine with them, despite the clear physical symptoms that occurred when I wore it. One day it will likely be regulated into oblivion too but at least in this case I will agree with IFRA or whatever agency does it. LOL.

I love many vetivers but also found Encre Noire to be too synthetic/unnatural/chemical-smelling - though I did enjoy it for the first half hour.
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Some people like Encre Noire, some Dirty English, it's all good. Which one is more Beavis & Butthead is in the eye of the beholder.

@Marquis... well, if you would like to......I'm ever so willing to take the hateful thing away for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Duver View Post
    I can tell you that vetiver is not a "fresh" smell to an average brazilian nose! (DanielPlainview?)

You're right, vetiver doesn't smell fresh to me. It is rooty and earthy.

I can relate with this one as after the smoky woody opening I get twelve hours of a pungent sour vetiver accord. I got rid of this as I found it very unpleasant.

Someone told me early on in my hobby to be wary of the very negative and very positive things people say about fragrance (and by extension others matters of taste)

Encre Noire is the tonal centre of what i like in perfume. It is reductionist yet detailed, smoky yet fresh, chemical yet smooth, wet and dry at the same time. It projects well, lasts well, doesn't break the bank, blends well on both clean and end-of-the-working-day skin and brings on a calm yet sharp mood (a sort of peircing silence)

I like it more than most fragrances out there today, yet not nearly as much as my favourites. It is not extreme in any sense of the word (there are far more extreme fragrances out there on any scale of measurement, be it chemical, stinky, poopy, clean, sillage, longevity, woodi- and smokiness, whatever)

I wear it to work in 90F+ weather in a sunny, dusty, hot and sweaty enviroment (and that too a hospital) and only as a point of personal reference it is cleaner than most of what i see/smell/touch during the entire day. To consider this mixture dirty is to live in a hygiene condition so superior to what I know that I have no idea what it would smell like, perhaps even beyond laundry-musk clean.

So while I understand OP's reaction, I feel that I cannot relate to it much, and as a result while OP may consistently dislike EN over time, I cannot apply his findings to any other time, place, or person. To each his/her own I guess.

Your quest for "truth" is heavily biased.

As for popular appeal, I validated my suspicions by having a couple of friends, male and female smell it, all found it highly objectionable with one commenting that it smells like compost. (...) I realize Encre Noire is widely acclaimed, but so was Beavis and Butthead do America and Titanic; to quote Kierkegaard "the crowd is untruth"
    Your opinion is your opinion and you're entitled to it, but your argument contradicts itself. Why did you "validate your suspicions" by checking "popular appeal" if "the crowd is untruth"?! Is "popular appeal" not an indication of what "the crowd" likes?

I love EN but it's something that I would never use more than a single spray of. I find it does justice to it's name: 'black ink'.

I love it because it reminds me of when I was younger and spent days at school spilling ink over myself while learning how to write in cursive with a fountain pen. It brings back memories of eating arroz negro (sp?) for the first time in Barcelona and that amazing experience of tasting the black squid ink.

I'm not a fan either. Your use of a "pull my finger" fragrance is freakin' priceless. Hilarious.

@chopwet, that second picture pretty much killed my appetite.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

I can't say that I love EN but I definitely like it and respect it . Many friends have complimented me on it right on the first day I wore it so that must be something .

I love Encre Noir. This has been one of the few fragrances I get repeated compliments on. Its odd for sure though.

I don't know about Encre Noir but I could go for some arroz negro right now!

Sadly, I'll never get back the 60 seconds it took to read the OP. Lost me at the Kouros/SM comparison (I mean, really? You really find it the olfactory equivalent of those two fragrances? Find that so hard to believe...), stayed lost by referencing Bang as an, ahem, grit and balls masculine, then sealed it with the B&B/Titanic references, which are complete and utter nonsense, particularly when you make a comment about EN as conceptual fragrance art just a sentence later. (Then again, maybe Beavis and Butthead WAS conceptual art after all! All these years I was missing it!)

You don't like EN. Congrats. But that review was worse than rotting wood.

Of all the fragrances to spit venom at, you choose Encre Noir, which to me is a fairly innocuous but rather nice vetiver. A mis-directed rant imo.

Encre Noir or any other vetiver are normally earthy and fresh, I like this frag, got no issues, definitely don't get any rotting wood / mulch when i wear this...

There is nothing rotting about Encre Noire. It is just dark woods put together.

Yes it reminds of black ink.

As a child, I use to write with an ink pen and thats the smell I get.

I don't like it one bit. I've worn it several times and can't get my self to accept it or even see why anyone would like it. I really wonder how many people force themselves to like it just so they can be in the special club of Encre Noire lovers.

I'm with Dane77, who said,

"Why did you "validate your suspicions" by checking "popular appeal" if "the crowd is untruth"?! Is "popular appeal" not an indication of what "the crowd" likes?"

You blew it by saying:

"I realize Encre Noire is widely acclaimed, but so was Beavis and Butthead do America and Titanic; to quote Kierkegaard "the crowd is untruth""

and then saying,

"As for popular appeal, I validated my suspicions by having a couple of friends, male and female smell it, all found it highly objectionable . . .".

Which is it, man!

All right, end of university logic lecture. Keep on ranting, though, brother. A good rant is a beautiful thing. It feels good to scorch some earth sometimes.

Thumbs up Re: Encre Noire: Eau Hell No!

My favourite vetiver scent. Dark and tenebrous. I love ENCRE NOIRE
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

EN is very bitter. I was a little disappointed, but tit does better in cold weather.

I am very happy to have it in my collection
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Encre Noire is probably the best blind buy that I have ever made.

So what if Encre Noire is 45% ISO E Super? Terre d'Hermés (which I also love) has 55%, and the ubiquitous Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce (which I will not wear because of my personal Abercrombie and Hollister boycott) has about the same level. ISO E Super or not, I love the smell, and others love it on me as well. While dark and different, it's also extremely versatile - it can be worn in virtually any temperature because of the vetiver dominance. And if you skip Neiman Marcus and search the discounters, you can get a 1.7 oz for about $40 shipped - a true bargain in the fragrance world.

Oh well... haters gotta hate.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I really cannot understand such opinions.

Its one thing not to like it but its another to write paragraph after paragraph bad mouthing a perfume.

Especially because you are very wrong in your opinion.

Given the stats (price, brand not being an actual perfumery, availability) it is an excellent perfume and an accolade among designer perfumes.

When I don't like something, I try to learn why and then in the end I simply say I disliked it for so and so reason. I don't condescend it and the people who enjoy it.
    Totally agree! A 5 paragraph rant is not needed for what is a masterpiece fragrance . The OP does not like Kouros either , go figure lol.

Bad mouthing? Op gave an honest and quite entertaining "opinion" on the fragrance. You can disagree or agree.

If someone spent fine paragraphs praising a universally hated fragrance in the community, would it get the same response?

How hypocritical is it to come and say, op I don't agree, and your opinion is wrong.

Is this forum only accepting of positive reviews?

Some of the responses to the op really reflect the cult like attitude of the community in general toward these type of fragrances.

Banned
    Blog Entries

encre noire is very affordable, and even if it were double or triple it's price, it would still be an excellent deal.

however, it's not for younger people or warm weather, so it lacks wearability.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    @Marquis... well, if you would like to......I'm ever so willing to take the hateful thing away for you.
    Me, too. I hate to see a fragrance make someone cranky. I really like Encre Noire, but I'm guessing you don't? You might want to check in to one of our "Free to a Good Home" threads. Find something more up your alley and put the Encre Noire up for adoption to someone who enjoys it. Win-win for all, and balance in the universe is restored.

EN is an fragrance that breaks rules. Normally when people are wearing something you can tell its ballpark, EN is playing a whole different game with rules most don't comprehend.

You need to be <this> mysterious to wear it.

There is a class of fragrances people buy, not because they are enjoyable, but because they want to see if they can get away with wearing them publicly, this is one of those fragrances.
    You are absolutely, without a doubt, dead wrong, and I'll tell you why: You're making the mistake of assuming your taste is right and anyone who disagrees must be lying or have an agenda. And you're wrong.

You dislike Encre Noir. That's cool. I don't care for it either. But that's just you and me. Other people genuinely love the stuff. Who are either of us to question their taste?

As I said, I don't like Encre Noir and for quite a while I didn't even understand it. I ordered a sample because I'd read so much about it here on basenotes, and when the sample arrived, I was dumbfounded. I thought "What the heck is this?!?" I absolutely hated the stuff. Then I sampled more vetivers and suddenly, Encre Noir made sense. I still don't enjoy it, but I totally understand the appeal for others.

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly, I don't mind Grey Vetiver either. I might even enjoy it. I suspect you and I have similar taste in vetivers in that we like them more on the bright side than the dark. Maybe. Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme is more of a halfway point between Grey Vetiver and Encre Noir.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Michael Kors, Azzaro Visit and Terre D'Hermes? I find that each of these shares a note with Encre Noir - not the vetiver though - and I dislike them all for the same reason I dislike Encre Noir.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    encre noire is very affordable, and even if it were double or triple it's price, it would still be an excellent deal.

however, it's not for younger people or warm weather, so it lacks wearability.
    Agree on the first part: there's a reason why Neiman Marcus sells a lot of bottles of Encre Noire at $92 for a 1.7 oz and $125 for a 3.3 (when comparing it to discounter prices, it also explains why they are nicknamed Needless Markup).

Disagree on the second: I'm 26, can pull Encre Noire off just fine, and have gotten compliments on it as well.

Can't comment on the third part, as I got my bottle late last fall.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I own it and love it. Not my favorite vetiver, but certainly in my top 10 vetiver fragrances.