Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Encre Noire: Eau Hell No!

Quote Originally Posted by mtheory8 View Post
    Bad mouthing? Op gave an honest and quite entertaining "opinion" on the fragrance. You can disagree or agree.

If someone spent fine paragraphs praising a universally hated fragrance in the community, would it get the same response?

How hypocritical is it to come and say, op I don't agree, and your opinion is wrong.

Is this forum only accepting of positive reviews?

Some of the responses to the op really reflect the cult like attitude of the community in general toward these type of fragrances.
    Yes it has cult status on Basenotes and your problem is ? Its ok to dislike fragrances but as L'homme pointed out, making it seem like other members have an agenda or buying into some sort of hype, is wrong.

Sound Scents

Op gave an honest and quite entertaining "opinion" on the fragrance. You can disagree or agree.
    I have no problem with someone hating a fragrance (or fragrances) I personally like and I am sure I dislike many fragrances that many others enjoy. We all have different tastes and there is no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to one's subjective preferences. That said, the OP was *way* over the top ridiculous, IMO, and it is *highly* debatable as to whether it was entertaining. We must have very different senses of humor...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I thought the title was clever...

One day last summer after a hard day of physical labor, I needed to quickly head for the grocery store before it closed. There was a bottle of Encre Noire on the shelf as I passed toward my door so I grabbed the bottle and gave a couple of sprays to my neck... Standing in line with my groceries, I eventually got near the register and the very attractive blond-haired, blue-eyed eighteenish check-out girl abruptly perked up, scoped out the various people in line and quickly settled on me and said "O.M.G. do you smell great!"
    Now... I'm seventy-ish and, believe me, I usually don't get that kind of attention from a normal teenage girl, let alone the very attractive ones. I have no choice but to believe she was genuinely expressing her opinion of Encre Noire. It's a great scent!
    Last edited by foetidus; 10th April 2013 at 08:49 PM.

^ nice experience foetidus

Thumbs up Re: Encre Noire: Eau Hell No!

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    One day last summer after a hard day of physical labor, I needed to quickly head for the grocery store before it closed. There was a bottle of Encre Noire on the shelf as I passed toward my door so I grabbed the bottle and gave a couple of sprays to my neck... Standing in line with my groceries, I eventually got near the register and the very attractive blond-haired, blue-eyed eighteenish check-out girl abruptly perked up, scoped out the various people in line and quickly settled on me and said "O.M.G. do you smell great!"
    Now... I'm seventy-ish and, believe me, I usually don't get that kind of attention from a normal teenage girl, let alone the very attractive ones. I have no choice but to believe she was genuinely expressing her opinion of Encre Noire. It's a great scent!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Haha, brilliant story, foetidus! So many different noses out there, there's room enough for Encre Noire...and Dirty English/GPH/Bang as well

Have to add that, personally, I find it interesting so many people seem to find EN so dark. As cacio implied, vetiver in general tends to strike me as a refreshing note, even in its nutty, earthy, rootsy incarnations. EN, once past the inky opening, settles into a nice, fresh, zingy vetiver note, IMO (thus the reason I didn't comprehend the OP's "rotting wood" comparison). So many noses, indeed; we all seem to smell it a bit different!

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Yes it has cult status on Basenotes and your problem is ? Its ok to dislike fragrances but as L'homme pointed out, making it seem like other members have an agenda or buying into some sort of hype, is wrong.
    my problem is when people attack the OP PERSONALLY for having a strong opinion on a little bottle of juice. like how dare he spread false rumors and facetious verbal assault on the beloved Encre Noire, we gotta teach him a lesson!

he gave a vivid description of what he think the juice is, he gave reasons to his opinion, and thats what makes a good review.

an equally strong, "over the top", 5 paragraph vivid PRAISE of the same fragrance would not be put down would it? so it has nothing to do with the way he reviewed it, but everything to do with his opinion.

I mean, the fact that you guys are attacking some dude's opinion on a bottle of juice is just silly. honestly. did he say something about your family? your religion? no... its a bottle of scented water man...

So would it be safe to say that, for you, Encre Noir is a Panty-Dropper?????

Got a sample, based on the hype. Didn't like it at all. Definitely did not get the dark, woodsy, smoky thing folks refer to.
    Just a dry, chemical type not. Don't know if it was the vetiver or ISO E Super.
    Got this same thing with Terre d'Hermes, but at least with that one I did detect some of the bitter orange.

It's either me and vetiver, or me and ISO E Super that don't get along.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I kind of understand your rant.

I also went crazy over testing a 5 ml sample of Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan and since it smells of fecals on my skin started a pointless discussions with fans of MKK, which I should never had started in the first place.

Encre Noir may smell rotten to your nose and on your skin, stop using it. Sell it or don't buy it.

I didn't enjoy it on its own to be honest, it smells like a mix of Commes des Garon Wonderwood and L'Occitane Vetyver on my skin - but now I blend or layer my Encre Noir with Terre D'Hermes EDP and EDT, with Montale Dark Aoud and with Creed Royal Oud and love the way it smells on my skin.

I happen to enjoy earthy Vetiver scents, while the more fresh Vetiver frags are just boring and old fashioned smelling (there I sold my Guerlina Vetiver and Mugler Cologne only just deciding to hang on to my Creed OV)

My advice: Avoid Encre Noir
    I stay clear of Musc Koublai Khan, be sure of that
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    That said, the OP was *way* over the top ridiculous,
    That's YOUR opinion. I don't think it was ridiculous at all. I had the same reaction if not worse. I think it smells terrible, and had a very over the top reaction when I smelled it.

I like Encre Noire, but it's very demure on me. I don't get the longevity beast thing at all. I guess it's there, but I actually find it pretty light. Maybe if it wore heavier on me, I would feel differently about it, so I'm fine with it as it is.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    He's not into dirty 70's stinkbombs like you and the other 1% of people are. Get over it.
    Thanks for that great insight... And the personal attack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    That's YOUR opinion. I don't think it was ridiculous at all. I had the same reaction if not worse. I think it smells terrible, and had a very over the top reaction when I smelled it.
    Indeed it is... As I clearly stated in my post (that you conveniently clipped where I said IMO). Nothing wrong with saying it smells terrible if that is how you (or anyone else) feels... I have zero issue at all with that kind of statement. My reference was to the way the opinion in the OP was conveyed, not the opinion itself.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Encre Noire has good reviews, and it smells terrible. OP is baffled by this. Disregarding the possibility that his subjective perception of EN might not be shared by others, he comes to the "obvious" conclusion that all the reviewers & buyers have some convoluted reasons for stating their appreciation of the fragrance.

I wonder if he feels the same thing in music, food, movies etc. Maybe people should just stop producing things he doesn't like. Obviously they are not good, and we should just stop pretending we like them. How is this not egocentrism?

Some guy once honestly asked me if I listened to jazz at home. He was so convinced the music was impossible to like ( well, basically anything other than Turkish Pop & Folk music ) the only conclusion he could draw was that I was for some reason pretending to like it, and I listened to regular music at home.

The reality is different.

The majority of the fragrances you don't like are actually made by lizard people to control humans. They have not succeeded in creating mind control juices that at the same time smell good. But because they are mind control juices, weak willed people think they smell good, and they will tell this to others. Some other ones like Yatagan and Kouros are just large scale pranks by the fragrance companies. They also help in creating a new bottom line so their not-so-good fragrances smell good in comparison.

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth.

Blog Entries

Not really a fan of Encre Noir. The vetiver is too dominant, I just can't take it. Same thing for Chanel's Sycomore. For some reason, I really like Terre d'Hermes (both EDT and Parfum).

Banned
    Blog Entries

i was one of the 10 of the 130 people who wrote a negative review of it on basenotes

There are a whole lot of people on this forum that get butt-hurt when someone knocks something they like. Yowza.

Another bad thing about Encre Noire is that people make it sound WAY too interesting in their reviews.

This is why I never base a purchase on any reviews.

Franchizzy on YouTube said EN smells like Black Afgano.

Whaaaat!

There's not even anything complex about EN. It's HUGE Vetiver. Ink? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    but now I blend or layer my Encre Noir with Terre D'Hermes EDP and EDT

now that is a good idea... I will have to try this combo!

I love Encre Noire and have loved it from first sniff. EN was my first Vetiver and because of it I am anxious to get my hands on some more vetiver fragrances. The only thing that holds me back is because I keep buying scents that are not a struggle to wear year around. EN for me is fall and winter fragrance only. Oh and it also helps that EN last forever on my skin .
    Living each day one spray at a time

Sound Scents

There are a whole lot of people on this forum that get butt-hurt when someone knocks something they like. Yowza.

Another bad thing about Encre Noire is that people make it sound WAY too interesting in their reviews.

This is why I never base a purchase on any reviews.

Franchizzy on YouTube said EN smells like Black Afgano.

Whaaaat!

I don't know who Franchizzy is (as I don't watch YouTube reviews as a general rule) but I confess I don't get any Black Afgano relation with EN either (thankfully). I *do*, however, get the ink-like accord at the open that others have mentioned in printed reviews I have read. EN is a huge Vetiver for sure, but there is more to it than just that, to my nose at least.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I don't know who Franchizzy is (as I don't watch YouTube reviews as a general rule) but I confess I don't get any Black Afgano relation with EN either (thankfully). I *do*, however, get the ink-like accord at the open that others have mentioned in printed reviews I have read. EN is a huge Vetiver for sure, but there is more to it than just that, to my nose at least.

He is actually one of the best YouTube frag reviewers out there.
    We all have different noses, but I don't get any resemblance between EN & BA either
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    There is a class of fragrances people buy, not because they are enjoyable, but because they want to see if they can get away with wearing them publicly, this is one of those fragrances. It's in the same league as Secretions Magnifique, and Kuros, an olfactory dare to those around you "I dare you to tell me I reek!" Wearing Encre Noire is like being in a wedding party and farting in your tuxedo, oh the gaucheness, the cheek, how jejune! It's not a mature fragrance, it's a "pull my finger" fragrance for those out to passive aggressively assault others around them.

I can kind of understand the draw of this fragrance to some conspicuous consumers out to show how stinky they can get and pull it off, but this stuff can only be worn as a dare or the olifactory equivalent of a power tie. It's got a sharp vetiver that just doesn't stop, it's abrasive and unpleasant from start to finish. Longevity? It's a beast, mercilessly clinging to you like an infernal leech sucking away your resolve to go on, you wanting only to run home and shower repeatedly.

Suffice it to say I hated everything about this fragrance, top, mid, base. Its eau de rotting wood and mulch. It starts as a very chemically vetiver, and it stays that way throughout, though mercifully, it doesn't project much after the first hour, I actually found myself avoiding people so they didn't have to smell me. This stuff is headache inducing and even two sprays had me gagging by lunch time; I would say this is a definite smell before purchase.

As for popular appeal, I validated my suspicions by having a couple of friends, male and female smell it, all found it highly objectionable with one commenting that it smells like compost. Since decomposing organic matter isn't what I want to smell like throughout my day, I won't be wearing Encre Noire ever again (thank god). I'm as big a fan of grit and balls masculinity in my fragrance as the next guy, I love Gucci pour Homme I, Dirty English, and Bang, but Encre Noire isn't manly, it's just just rank.

I realize Encre Noire is widely acclaimed, but so was Beavis and Butthead do America and Titanic; to quote Kierkegaard "the crowd is untruth" this stuff is totally unwearable. Even those who give it kudos either confess they don't wear it often or call it a "suit and tie" fragrance (I.e. I might wear it once a year, but will probably reach for the Guerlain when the time really comes). I can see liking it as a piece of conceptual fragrance art or something, but what's the point of a fragrance you can't wear anywhere without being self conscious about the appropriateness of it...thumbs way down folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I really cannot understand such opinions.

Its one thing not to like it but its another to write paragraph after paragraph bad mouthing a perfume.

Especially because you are very wrong in your opinion.

Given the stats (price, brand not being an actual perfumery, availability) it is an excellent perfume and an accolade among designer perfumes.

When I don't like something, I try to learn why and then in the end I simply say I disliked it for so and so reason. I don't condescend it and the people who enjoy it.
    Bad mouthing? Op gave an honest and quite entertaining "opinion" on the fragrance. You can disagree or agree.

If someone spent fine paragraphs praising a universally hated fragrance in the community, would it get the same response?

How hypocritical is it to come and say, op I don't agree, and your opinion is wrong.

Is this forum only accepting of positive reviews?

Some of the responses to the op really reflect the cult like attitude of the community in general toward these type of fragrances.

No he bad mouthed. I highlighted it for you above. Read.

He compares EN to beavis & butthead. Beavis & Butthead is not regarded very well and you know what I mean.

See saripatates' reply to this.

Always good to read you contributions foetidus.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    He's not into dirty 70's stinkbombs like you and the other 1% of people are. Get over it.
    Your tone is not appreciated. You'd better stop.

for swap/sale:

Stick to Nautica Oceans or something.... you will love it.... nice aquatic smells real, umm, fresh. So, seriously, you'll love the fresh scents.

Basenotes Member

I love EN. It's a smoky, fresh, airy and woody scent that feels very natural and well executed. Stinky is the last thing on my mind.
    Very wearable, I'm actually wearing it today to work. Must be something wrong with your nose.

I don't think t's offensive, but I'm not particularly impressed by it either.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Exactly.

Criticising a well respected fragrance is one thing. I have no problem with that. Criticising the people who like it is just being fallacious and in this case hypocritical in some respects since the OP is doing the very thing that he claims wearers of EN are essentially doing: looking for attention by being trolls. It's worked too!

Criticisms aside, I wonder what the EDP is like compared to the EDT. Does anybody know?

EDP:

EDT:

I'd buy it for the looks of the bottle alone. Besides I think EN has its value quite well set.

Basenotes Plus

I love EN and would love to try the EDP version. At some $795 here in the US that's a little steep though. Anyone willing to part with a small decant, or even a 1-2ml sample?

I like Encre Noire, but it's not up there in my top 10 favorites. It's a very very nice for the $30, 3.4oz bottle IMO. It also serves as a hell of a spring scent when I don't want to spray my much more expensive bottle of Sycomore. It's obviously not on the same level as Sycomore...I believe Sycomore is one of the better fragrances out there. Encre Noire is a little dirtier, doesn't have the aldehydes and isn't nearly as crisp. I could see why it might rub some the wrong way...and hell I might even be a little ticked if I bought a bottle blind thinking I could save $100 and skip on buying Sycamore. But I don't think it's an awful fragrance, maybe OP is sensitive to ISO Super E?

Add that story to the 'sticky' thread at the top of the page!

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Exactly.

Criticising a well respected fragrance is one thing. I have no problem with that. Criticising the people who like it is just being fallacious and in this case hypocritical in some respects since the OP is doing the very thing that he claims wearers of EN are essentially doing: looking for attention by being trolls. It's worked too!

Criticisms aside, I wonder what the EDP is like compared to the EDT. Does anybody know?

EDP:

EDT:
    The EDP is actually Encre Noire pour Femme and has nothing to do with EN pour Homme. There's no Vetiver in the ladies' one.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Are you sure you are not thinking about Encre Noire Pour Elle??

All reviews of the EN EDP do mention vetiver, in stronger concentration than EDT, though perhaps not quite as strong as "EDP" would suggest. I guess most of the exorbitant price tag of the EDP is for the crystal flacon, not necessarily the juice being that much better than the EDT. Lalique is famous for making over the top flacons and selling them for $2000-$3000, or more... (can't wait to try their new Bentley fragrance!)

my problem is when people attack the OP PERSONALLY for having a strong opinion on a little bottle of juice. like how dare he spread false rumors and facetious verbal assault on the beloved Encre Noire, we gotta teach him a lesson!

he gave a vivid description of what he think the juice is, he gave reasons to his opinion, and thats what makes a good review.

an equally strong, "over the top", 5 paragraph vivid PRAISE of the same fragrance would not be put down would it? so it has nothing to do with the way he reviewed it, but everything to do with his opinion.

I mean, the fact that you guys are attacking some dude's opinion on a bottle of juice is just silly. honestly. did he say something about your family? your religion? no... its a bottle of scented water man...
    Firstly there is no reason to get hyper, are you the OP's defense lawyer, it is a forum not a judicial court. I am not going to bother addressing the rest of your harangue.

MarquisdeSod, this is the best topic I have seen in years on this forum.
    I've said it before, I'm a fan of your posts.
    The funny thing is, that I don't agree with what you said about Kouros and such.
    I do agree that EN has a sharp and pungent vetiver that I don't like either.
    Nobody should feel offended. MarquisdeSod is not holding back and I love that.
    Please add this review to the Fragrance Directory.
    I'm looking forward to more of your reviews.
    You should try Eau Sauvage Parfum. It's my holy grail vetiver.

Yes, ink, really. Sumi ink. Not the stuff that resides in plastic tubes and comes out of ball points.

I have no problem with someone disliking a fragrance I like. I do have a problem with someone who claims that those who like something he dislikes must enjoy offending people.The Op didn't just register his opinion. He impugned the character of anybody who might not share his extraordinarily pinched taste.

it smells exactly like vetiver by guerlain for me, not my piece of cake..

I'm mixed on Encre Noire. I do like it, but the synthetic/inky vibe in the drydown is not my favorite.

I'm thinking Timbuktu may be a better vetiver for me.

Vetiver with mistery and darkness in its composition, definitely not an everyday scent
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Especially the latest formulation is great.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Basenotes Plus

Encre Noire is one of my favourites. But then I love vetiver. YMMV.
    I love cologne.

I really dislike EN, and it is not at all fresh smelling. Not at all a scent I would want to project. I like Guerlain's take much better, in fact that one would be a favorite if they toned down the spice just a bit.

OP, congratulations that was the dumbest post I've had the pleasure of reading this month. You would've saved everyone the time having to read through paragraph after paragraph by simply stating "I don't care/like encre noir." I don't even like EN, for the record. Have some negs for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty Coppersmith View Post
    I really dislike EN, and it is not at all fresh smelling. Not at all a scent I would want to project. I like Guerlain's take much better, in fact that one would be a favorite if they toned down the spice just a bit.
    Ha! Guerlain Vetiver is a tad sour and entirely musty to my nose. EN blows it out of the water, in my humble opinion of course.

This happens to be my favorite post in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    You would've saved everyone the time having to read through paragraph after paragraph by simply stating "I don't care/like encre noir."
    Could've saved yourself some time by reading the thread title, but more than half of those five words weren't English, so I can understand that there may have been some struggles involved.

Meh, horses for courses ... that's English for YMMV, or some such.

It's nice stuff.

There, three lines.

EN is something I enjoy wearing anywhere and anytime; it's a beautiful fragrance that is appropriate for any occasion. I don't find it too "dark," as the musk in the dry down softens it and adds to it's beauty. I actually purchased a back up bottle as a hedge against possible reformulation. Amazing reading how different people's perception of a fragrance can be!