Code of Conduct

Default L'Eau du Navigateur pyramid?

Just bought a sample of L'Eau du Navigateur. I was expecting to love this one but instead I find that I dislike it quite intensely. There is a very strong - I want to say 'thick' - note that drowns out everything else which I can't identify. The closest I can get to it is the Indian spice adjwain, which is a cumin relative with a very bitter, burnt rubber aroma. On my skin this persists from opening to the last breath of the dry-down.

I'd love to see the actual pyramid for this one so that I can identify this note, though I suspect it may be part of a particular accord which I find in quite a few classically 'male' fragrances. I've discovered that I really can't stand anything that could even vaguely be described as aftershave as they all seem to have dense, suffocating hearts that shout masculine! but don't, as the politicians say, 'do nuance.' To my disappointment, LDN is one of those.

Default Re: L'Eau du Navigateur pyramid?

I thoroughly enjoy this L'Artisan.

Luv it very much - coffee, tobacco, spices and musc. no cumin for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Me too -- smokey and soapy, very nice. The first fragrance to use a coffee note (supposedly).

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Many do! That's what interests me. I also love many L'Artisans, and whether I enjoy them or not they're almost always complex in a way that I appreciate, even if I don't fall in love. With this one I don't get complexity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mangalor View Post
    Luv it very much - coffee, tobacco, spices and musc. no cumin for sure.
    Interesting. I get a cumin bomb up front, very like Rose 31 (without the rose).

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I love this on my husband and would not like it at all if it had a cumin note.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I love this on my husband and would not like it at all if it had a cumin note.
    This is why I'd love to know the actual ingredients. I believe that there's no actual cumin but to my nose, it's a case of something + something else = cumin. In fact it isn't necessarily cumin but some herb in the umbellifer family like ajwain or caraway, celery or even lovage. Plus some sort of burnt toast note.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that this is how EDN smells to anyone else, because plainly it doesn't; but I'm trying to analyse my subjective reaction so that I can avoid this ingredient in future...

One of my favourite perfumes.
    It may be the bitter coffee note combined with rum and tobacco that rubs you the wrong way...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I'd be all over rum and tobacco, so yes, I suppose it must be the coffee.

I've also just sampled Dzing! - which seems to be quite a polarizing fragrance, judging by reviews - and totally love it... Ultimately, I suppose, reviews are great but it all comes down to your own skin.