Code of Conduct
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SotD Thursday April 11, 2013

Twolf,

Thank you for telling us of your friend's passing. A hard blow for the family at present, of course. I'm sure you will be comforting them, and we will be thinking of you as you do that.

My mother's lower legs have been swelling the past month or so-- on and off-- last night Mom called and said they were worse and aching, despite having them elevated. She uses a recliner and although it elevates, it also puts pressure on the back of the calves. A footstool might be better...but it would be one more thing to trip over and to have to maneuver around with her walker in what is already a tight space. I have to head over to measure them with a tape measure before she gets up and then go shop for support stockings. Elevation and compression....

SotD is Fleur d'Oranger by L'Artisan.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SotD Thursday April 11, 2013

(((Wolfie))) really sorry to hear the sad news about your friend. It is a blessing that he went peacefully and surrounded by the ones he loved. Your support will have meant a great deal to them. Thinking of you...

SotD is Creed Neroli Sauvage.

Happy Birthday RainDropSparkle
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th April 2013 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Twolf, I was so sorry to hear of your news. What a lovely quote by what sounds like a lovely gentleman. We can all hope we have that kind of spirit toward the end, the kind that transforms lost marbles to diamonds.

I am wearing Chergui today, since I needed something warm and comforting. It's April, we shouldn't be getting two weeks of grey/black skies coupled with sleet. I am soooo tired of this, and in need of sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday April 11, 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Bonjour Mesdames!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her Eau Delicate EDP
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, dear ones, for all your kind words of support. I am grieving, I guess, something like I did when my own dad passed away back in 1994, could not spend a day without thinking of him for about a year. I could not sleep well last night, Mr.T was with me and providing for whatever I needed: a gentle hand squeeze, a loving hug, a nice word. I feel fragile today.

In Chanel Beige and with 6" of fresh snow outside.
    Last edited by Twolf; 11th April 2013 at 12:36 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

(((Twolf))), I'm so sorry to hear about your friends passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

Happy Birthday, RainDropSparkle! I hope you have a lovely day.

Wearing Gucci Rush this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Twolf, I'm adding my condolences to those of everyone else. I'm so sorry for your loss, dear. It is very hard to say goodbye to friends and loved ones. I do believe that we will meet again under better circumstances. I cherish that thought each and every day.

This morning it is Liberté by Cacharel for me. I haven't worn it in a long time, and I'm enjoying the vanilla/patchouli/orange combination.

Happy Birthday Raindropsparkle!!

(I've always loved your username).
    Last edited by lilybelle; 11th April 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Bois Du Portugal From a sample

Sampling a fellow perfumers fragrance today. Today i am in "Cafe Diem" by PK Perfumes. On my skin, it's mainly an incense and vetiver that hints at opening a gourmand, yet never fully enters the kitchen. It's quite well blended. Comforting and definitely unique. It opens with a blast of what I think is Artemesia or wormwoord and a pleasant incense. ALthough coffee is listed as a note, I can't quite tickle it out. The fragrance feels like the inside of a northwest coffee house on a rainy autumn day. It's warm and inviting. Definitely worth a go if you ask me.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, everyone -

The French Quarter Festival starts today, so we're getting set for four days of music, food and dancing - hooray! This is such a fun festival - there are 21 stages and more than 60 restaurant booths set up throughout the FQ, so we've got a lot of ground to cover, lol! Although, Tony's saying he's sort of done with crowds for the moment, so we might have to get our festing and feasting done early. Good thing today is "Locals' Lagniappe Day" - the crowds aren't expected to roll in until Friday night, so I've got today and most of tomorrow ...at least, hehe.

Oh, I'm in L'Instant, edt. Y'all have a fantastic day!

((Wofie)), I'm so sorry for your loss ...thinking of you, always.

Happy Birthday to dear RainDropSparkle! Drop by and visit us sometime!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

(((Twolf))) l am so sorry for your loss.

Happy Birthday RainDropSparkle, l love your username too!

Draining my sample of Jasmin et Cigarett today, from the back of the wardrobe.

We've got a mixture of sunshine & showers here, with some very heavy rain last night, but at least it's warmer. lt looks like spring has finally sprung!

More hugs to all who need them.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Rouge Assassin by Jovoy Parfums

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry your friend has died, Twolf, but glad that it could be quick and he had his friends and family. The grief, there is no way out but through.... It is good that he had a friend like you.

Datura Blanche today, another one that is good in the hot humid time.

Post Thanks / Like

(((Twolf))), I'm so sorry.

Busy week here, a good chunk of our property is being dug up so us country folk can connect to city sewage. Neither pleasant nor wanted; our septic is perfectly fine. But the city wants their money. Have been making a mad dash to rescue any plants that may be in their path, now the back yard is full of displaced plant life. Must find them all new spots.

Guerlain AA Jasminora today, have a great day!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

May I offer my condolences too Wolfie. Sad news indeed. Look after yourself.

Happy Birthday Raindropsparkle Many happy Returns!

I was at the dentist yesterday and they have Prada L'Eau D'Ambree in the loo. Of course I had a spray. It's very nice but wasn't I surprised when I realised that it is on almost exactly the same base as Prada Candy.

Enjoy your festival Evangeline. It sounds fantastic fun!! New Orleans is on my travel wishlist.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

((((Wolfie)))) You have my sincere condolences as well.

30R I hope you'll be able to find a good, easy solution that will keep your mom comfortable. xxoo

Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess for me today. Take care, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon.

SotD is ELDO Nombril Immense.

(((Twolf))))
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

Walking back to my car last night, I was brought up short by an unmistakable smell of spring... and looked around to see a lovely magnolia tree that had just come into bloom. I was unable to locate my sample of Aqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile this morning, so I went with my other magnolia-centric standby, Lalique (new). On my skin, the magnolia heart note really jumps out, and the gardenia (which I normally cannot abide) supports the magnolia rather than overwhelming it. Go figure.

Top Notes: Chinese gardenia, Sicilian mandarin, blackberry
    Heart Notes: Grasse magnolia, Tunisian orange blossom, peony, Bulgarian rose, ylang-ylang
    Base Notes: Reunion Island vanilla, Virginia cedarwood, East Indian sandalwood, Tibetan musk, Colombian amber, Yugoslavian oakmoss
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

Twolf sorry for your loss(((

Black Orchid again
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Tom Ford ~ Black Orchid

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I raised h*** at Mom's residence and they got a maintenance man in to correct the faulty thermostat. This temperature regulation problem recurs periodically and if one is not very insistent, nothing is done. They have a rather unresponsive maintenance department.

I hope this will result in the leg swelling going down (sending increased blood supply to the extremities is the body's way of regulating core body temperature when it is hot-- which in Mom's case causes more leakage of fluid into the tissues.)

I did buy some Scholl's knee high compression socks to try out but they were just too long for her. If the problem is not resolved adequately on its own, I think I will have to have her Dr. order fitted compression hose-- and then I will either have to go there and dress her every day myself or pay Assisted Living services to have someone come in daily to do it, as she will never be able to pull them on herself. We shall see.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Busy day, can't stay & talk, I will later...

Vetiver vintage Eau de Cologne by Guerlain

Yes, more vetiver. I know, I know. But this one is one of my favorites.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Guerlain AA Jasminora today, have a great day!
    Oh, my goodness, me too!

(((Twolf))) I am so sorry for your loss. Don't be too hard on yourself today.

Perturbed with the E-bay seller. After I paid she will not ship as she is waiting for Paypal to release the funds: her being a new-ish seller it's not going to happen until she ships.There are days when Ebay can be a source of a major headache, but sometimes, it is the only place to find truly amazing fragrant treasures.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whitefluffy,

She is not supposed to wait the 21 days for her funds to be released before shipping. If you have not received your perfume within 10 days of having paid, file Item Not Received.

Chanel „Cuir de Russie”, current version.

Good morning all.

Take care of yourself today, Mrs. T.
    Mrs. E, that is a great poster! And enjoy your festival before the "tourists" get there

I reached for Ava Luxe No. 23 today. Lovely!

Post Thanks / Like

(((Twolf))) I'm so very sorry

30Roses, I hope the thermostat fix does the trick and helps reduce the swelling.

I'm house twins today with cello, wearing Ava Luxe Bois Exotique.

This weather has me wanting to hibernate.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wish all of us could be celebrating Raindropsparkle's birthday in Evangeline's neighborhood today. So many of you could use the spirit-replenishing atmosphere of beautiful New Orleans and its warm weather.

I'm giving Chanel 1932 its first real spin today. ’32 is just so effortlessly likable. It's soothing, yet makes me feel alert. Am I giving it too much credit? Only repeated wearings will tell.

PerfumedLady, it's too bad you're forced to hook up to utilities you don't want.
    Twolf, be kind to your delicate self.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello all! Thank you for the lovely birthday wishes!

I am sorry that I haven't been around as much. I took on a different position at work last year, and while it can be rewarding in its own way, it is also sometimes grueling, stressful, and time-consuming.

Not sure what the birthday SOTD will be....probably my favorite, Chanel No. 19, but maybe I'll go nuts with Eau de Shalimar.

I wanted to also add my condolences to the passing of Twolf's friend. (((Twolf)))

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Wish all of us could be celebrating Raindropsparkle's birthday in Evangeline's neighborhood today. So many of you could use the spirit-replenishing atmosphere of beautiful New Orleans and its warm weather.

What a wonderful idea!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Whitefluffy,

She is not supposed to wait the 21 days for her funds to be released before shipping. If you have not received your perfume within 10 days of having paid, file Item Not Received.
    Thank you, 30 Roses, you always come through! After I sent her e-mail explaining E-bay policy and that I have no control over funds anymore, she said she will ship it. We will see...She seems to be quite inexperienced, and it's quite annoying, frankly.

A party in New Orleans sounds veeeery gooood!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    A party in New Orleans sounds veeeery gooood!
    Count me in - can I tag along as your guest ?. I am house trained .

SotE - Zino Davidoff.

Post Thanks / Like

Calvin Klein Truth for me today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Roses, l hope you are able to get things sorted for your mom. And don't forget to get some rest yourself!

SOTE is Narcisse Noir, vintage EDT.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wearing Jimmy Choo edp and lotion this afternoon. Smells so good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Count me in - can I tag along as your guest ?. I am house trained .
    Of course, Jon, I would be absolutely delighted! But as for house trained...I am afraid I will still need to see the official certification

30 Roses - She shipped the package, woohoo. Thank you for your support!
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 11th April 2013 at 07:06 PM.

This afternoon I switch it up to some vintage Shalimar extrait from the 60's. Breathtakingly beautiful. I Must admit that I thought it would be louder. It's a shame they cheapened it from this. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan of current formulation but wow this one is a stunner.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, TWolf, please take the best care you can of yourself and your friends family/relatives. ((big BEAR hug))

Afternoon in more vetiver..

Vetiver by Annick Goutal

This one I haven't sampled for AGES. I remember KevinGuyer (we spoke via email a few days ago) sending me a sample my first few months as a Basenoter. It's still as harsh as I remember. In a good way. Perhaps the only other vetiver, besides Vetiver Exercise No. 1 by Les Nez, that is so watery, iodine-prominent and aqueous. Love it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

My samples arrived. I'm in my latest crush for SotA/E...

Yes, a BN meet up during French Quarter Festival sounds like just what we need! Count me in.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been snowing for the last few hours, it's suppose to continue for the next 4 days. Going to New Orleans sounds pretty good right about now.

Wearing Mitsouko this evening.

Have a nice evening, everyone!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, good Whitefluffy! Sounds like she just needed a nudge to do the correct thing -- but one can understand why sellers don't like shipping until the money is in their account. Some who are struggling financially need the money to pay for shipping.

I've been checking on Mom by phone throughout the day. The swelling is reduced and the apartment is cooler. Crisis averted for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, 30 Roses!

SOTE Kenzo Jungle Elephant

Notes include...no this is just a vanillic spicefest

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Arabie.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Today I layered Eau de Shalimar and Shalimar Eau Legere Parfumee. Nice. Turned out subtle. Not a "projection monster" by any means. I actually think the former has more projecting power, while the latter is richer and stays closer to the skin.

Stay well, y'all.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Twolf, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Sending hugs ...

I've not felt well all week ... not quite sick enough to stay home from work, but definitely too yucky to wear fragrances. I've logged in most days (trying to help keep the spam at bay!) but haven't kept up with the daily postings. Sincere apologies for any birthday wishes I missed.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

((shades)) Here you are feeling unwell and you've been logging in anyway to deal with all that spam! We do appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I've not felt well all week ... not quite sick enough to stay home from work, but definitely too yucky to wear fragrances. I've logged in most days (trying to help keep the spam at bay!) but haven't kept up with the daily postings. Sincere apologies for any birthday wishes I missed.

Shades, I hope you are feeling better soon. A really nasty lingering bug made its rounds here, and I hope you haven't caught something similar.

SOTBirthday was SL A La Nuit, a relatively new purchase, but very pretty. Possibly my favorite jasmine and perfect for Hawaii. Thanks again everyone for your kind wishes and for filling my head with the wonderful thought of having a BN party in New Orleans.