Code of Conduct

Default Looking for Sandalwood...

I currently have Egoiste, and love it. I am newer, about a year in my fragrance journey and I am really bad a picking out notes.

Question: If i like Eogoiste, which has some nice sandalwood, would i also want to get Art of Shaving Sandalwood or Tam Dao? Or would it be redundant?

P.S. I also just got a small decant of Bois de Iles, which many say is a step up from Egoiste. I only wore it once so i need a bit more time with it.

edit: Thank you all so much for the responses. One more question, how much will these kind of sandalwood fragrances get used in the warmer months? Or is it not a good investment with the MD summer coming up?
    Last edited by axmaster45; 12th April 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Default Re: Looking for Sandalwood...

Tam Dao would not be redundant.

Basenotes Institution

All of those scents are different types of sandalwood - one can own all of them & it wouldn't be redundant.

Depends on if you want a range of sandalwood scents in your wardrobe. I do. I own several bottles and decants (probably 8 or 9 different ones).
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    All of those scents are different types of sandalwood - one can own all of them & it wouldn't be redundant.

Depends on if you want a range of sandalwood scents in your wardrobe. I do. I own several bottles and decants (probably 8 or 9 different ones).
    Good question. I am wondering if say i had all 3, would they get any wear, or would one be the main one i reach for. An example: I got a sample of Midnight in Paris. I like it, but i have abosultely no need for this with Armani code and Bvlgari black in my wardrobe and no way would all 3 be reached for frequently. Perhaps i will get some decants of each...

My favorite sandalwood was one that used to be sold by Creed called Santal Imperial. It is a creamy, lighter sandalwood than that found in their (also discontinued) Bois de Santal...which many consider to be one of the finest sandalwoods ever.

I also like Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche for a good sandalwood fragrance.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Tam Dao is good but The Art of Shaving to me was similar to Santal Noble, a far superior and robust fragrance. My favorite sandalwood note in a fragrance is in Richwood.

Sandalwood fragrances differ greatly. The same can be said for almost any main note. The ones you mentioned are all quite different. You will not really be able to guess which ones you will like the best, so your best bet is to get samples of as many as you can find, and determine your favorites from those. The Perfumed Court and LuckyScent come to mind as places you can order a wide variety of samples.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Himalaya by Creed is my favorite Sandalwood fragrance.

Santal Noble by MPEG, underrated like most MPEG parfums...

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. Love the basenotes crowd...

Dave

Best extant sandalwood is Villoresi Sandalo. Best sandalwood in the last thirty years is Creed Bois de Santal.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Best extant sandalwood is Villoresi Sandalo. Best sandalwood in the last thirty years is Creed Bois de Santal.
    Creed Bois de Santal is such an amazing natural sandalwood. Shame they had to dc it because ingredients were no longer available. Tam Dao is good but very light and does not last very long on me. Dunhill Pursuit has a great, sweet sandalwood drydown and is very inexpensive.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Dependent

Amouage attars tend to have the highest quality sandalwood I've come across

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Tricorn by Caswell Massey had beautiful sandalwood...no longer.

Interesting to note as it was prized Bangalore Sandalwood in the original juice. The key is to spray from a bit of distance and not over-apply. A gentlemanly scent that goes back to 1941.

But, just don't take my word for it...http://www.vintagepaperads.com/1968-...y_p_70005.html

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Anyone know where to find a bottle of Sandal Attar ?

I dont think sandalwoods or vetivers could ever be redundant for me. All three of those are great and worth owning. IMO sandalwood does great in the heat so buy away!

You can get real mysore sandalwood attars OR I find Santal Blush and CDG wonderwood very good sandalwood fragrances especially in the drydown. They smell virtually like my Mysore sandalwood elephant figurines.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    You can get real mysore sandalwood attars OR I find Santal Blush and CDG wonderwood very good sandalwood fragrances especially in the drydown. They smell virtually like my Mysore sandalwood elephant figurines.
    I have actually tried the Santal Blush from a generous giveaway from SaNielsen. That one was wearing a bit feminine on me though!

^CDG Wonderwood would be perfect, the mysore sandalwood accord in it is wonderful. I did not find SB feminine at all, and I am usually particular about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Amouage attars tend to have the highest quality sandalwood I've come across
    agreed!