Code of Conduct

Default Potent Amber - Better than Ambre Sultan

I am looking for a potent amber scent, something that had radiance and suits a gent.

I have Ambre Sultan, which has excellent longevity and reasonable projection.

I quite like the sound of Ambre Russe and the boozy notes mixed with Amber and hint of leather.

What is your opinion on longevity and projection of Ambre Russe?

Default Re: Potent Amber - Better than Ambre Sultan

Prada Amber Intense

Ambre Russe is not as strong and longlasting as Ambre Sultan. I like it, but I can see it being a very polarizing scent as it is quite unique. Definitely try before you buy.

Basenotes Institution

Well, I think Ambre Sultan is one of the best ambers in perfumery, so it's hard to recommend an amber that's 'better'.

I personally didn't like Ambre Russe, it just didn't sit well with me. No particular reason - just didn't feel like it clicked with me.

If you like sweet/gourmand scents you should try Hermessence Ambre Narguille by Hermes. It's extremely radiant. Another great go-to amber is Amber Absolute by Tom Ford.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Micallef Royal Amber

Dior's Ambre Nuit is very nice.

Amber Absolute -- no question. It's hard to find now, though.

Basenotes Plus

Profumi del Forte Versilia Vintage - Ambra Mediterranea is my reference Amber. Being a big fan of Amber, to me this is the best Amber.

For me Ambre Précieux by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier is the best: a smooth and classy long lasting, rather sweet amber. But as for your question I like Ambre Russe also. The boozy notes are not that long lasting though.

If you want more dry and less sweet Amber I'll suggest Ambre Soie by Armani Privé.

TLS.

Hermes Hermessence Ambre Narguille is good but I find it a bit too feminine and sweet for my tastes.

Ambre Sultan, Ambre Russe, and Amber Absolute are my Holy Trinity of ambers. I'm not sure I would classify any of these as "radiant," though -- it's not a word I personally would associate with amber. So I'm trying to figure out what you're after, beyond longevity and projection.

Ambre Russe has excellent longevity and projection -- it's strongly boozy at the top, but that burns off pretty quickly on me and it settles into a wonderful albeit straightforward amber with just a touch of leather. It doesn't have any of the herbal tinge that Ambre Sultan has.

Amber Absolute is as much about fabulous smoky incense at the top and vanilla at the base as it is about amber in the heart. Amazing amber overall, and the first one I bought in full-bottle form. It's been discontinued and is hard to find now, but a decent substitute for it is Kerosene Copper Skies. It's pretty butch -- it starts out with a blast of gasoline/creosote (reminiscent of the rubber note in Bulgari Black) and then it smooths out into a fantastic amber and it lasts FOREVER.

Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche is another butch amber, featuring leather and birch tar; it's a smoky, leathery Wild West Bonanza in a bottle.

A funkier amber (both in terms of execution and muskiness) is Parfumerie General L'Ombre Fauvre. It's an excellent change-up amber. As with most PG fragrances, though, it cants gourmand, and so the base is as sweet as Ambre Sultan's.

I find Ambre Precieux quite powdery, so it's not one my favorites.

If you don't mind patchouli in the mix, Mazzolari Patchouly or Bois 1920 Real Patchouli are fabulous. They're both a bit misnamed because they're more about amber than patchouli to my nose. The Mazzolari is the next FB amber on my list...

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Amber Absolute is as much about fabulous smoky incense at the top and vanilla at the base as it is about amber in the heart. Amazing amber overall, and the first one I bought in full-bottle form. It's been discontinued and is hard to find now, but a decent substitute for it is Kerosene Copper Skies. It's pretty butch -- it starts out with a blast of gasoline/creosote (reminiscent of the rubber note in Bulgari Black) and then it smooths out into a fantastic amber and it lasts FOREVER.
    Interesting! I do love both Amber Absolute and Copper Skies, but I find Copper Skies to be quite different because of the cloves which, in my opinion, dominate the scent. It's lovely, but I find it to be closer to Sultan than Absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    A funkier amber (both in terms of execution and muskiness) is Parfumerie General L'Ombre Fauvre. It's an excellent change-up amber. As with most PG fragrances, though, it cants gourmand, and so the base is as sweet as Ambre Sultan's.
    Interesting that you point this out. I've owned and loved L'Ombre Fauve for some time, and have never been able to figure out how it gets that animalic effect given that it's not deploying that many notes. I'd tried other PG scents and found them a bit too gourmand, but I'd never thought of Fauve as being so. Then just a few weeks, I read a review in which someone noted that it had a caramel element to it -- and now I can't wear it without smelling caramel!

I dislike gourmands immensely, so I hope this doesn't kill it for me. It's still a really radical take on amber all the same.

Sonoma Scent Studio-Amber Noire A beautiful amber that is NOT a gourmand. Amber and smoke.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Profumi del Forte Versilia Vintage - Ambra Mediterranea is my reference Amber. Being a big fan of Amber, to me this is the best Amber.
    +1 This is imo the best masculine amber that has decent projection and longevity.

Ambre Nuit.

I did not like Ambre Russe at all. IMO, it smells unpleasant, in a dirty, heavy, cigarette and skanky b.o. kind of way. And I generally like Amber scents.

I've heard wonderful things about Ambra Meditteranea. You may want to look into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Ambre Nuit.

Nersh, you didn't find Ambre Nuit too feminine? I just got a sample and immediately associated it with women's perfume. Maybe I'll have to revisit it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Prada Amber Intense
    That and By Kilian's Amber Oud.

Sounds like we have another convert in the house!

No even close. If anything it was on the masculine side. Spend some time with this one. Also honorable mention is Ambre Topkapi.

^ This one.

Ambre Nuit is very enjoyable too, I'd avoid both of the Prada's as they are a little shrill and really low quality. The Intense being the worst of the two and borderline abysmal imho.

+1 incredible longevity
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

Although Ambre Sultan is my favorite/preferred amber, I find L'Air du Desert Marocain to be a very potent amber. Sweeter than Sultan and with more of an incense vibe, but it outlasts and out-projects Ambre Sultan.

Amber Absolute. I think it's better in every way.

...Ambre Russe is too feminine for me; my favorite amber is Ambre Précieux...!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Amber Absolute -- no question. It's hard to find now, though.
    This.

something better than Ambre Sultan? hahahahahahaha.

If potent is what you're after, I'd suggest Blue Amber from Montale. It was way too big for me.

L'Artisan Amber Extreme

Dependent

Opus Oils Heavy Sugar -- not particularly sweet despite the name. Excellent dry amber with a slug of patchouli and a hint of nicely animalic real ambergris. Resembles the drydown of Balenciaga pH which is no bad thing.

My favorite ambers have been Sonoma Scent Studio's Amber Noire, PG's l'Ombre Fauve, and MPG's Ambre Precieux - all suggested by previous posters. My favorite is probably the PG for its rich base, although Amber Noire is pretty intense.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I quite like the sound of Ambre Russe and the boozy notes mixed with Amber and hint of leather.

What is your opinion on longevity and projection of Ambre Russe?
    I am wearing Ambre Russe for this first time and I absolutely love it. The boozy opening that others mention is quite boozy to my nose and that's just fine with me. The booziness stayed on my skin for about 20-30 minutes, then the fragrance transitioned to a wonderful amber/leather/spice core that was substantial but not overpowering.

I sprayed about 3/4 ml six hours ago and it is still going strong, so longevity is at least good. I don't think it has huge projection but I did receive compliments on it tonight from folks 5-10 feet away.

Ambre Russe is a winner in my book and is the favorite amber-based fragrance in my collection (I also have HdP's Ambre 114, Smell Bent's Never Neverland, and I Profumi di Firenze's Ambra Grisea and Ambra de Nepal).

As others have said Amber Absolute.. is the way to go

For a warm, comfortable Ambre, I really like Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums. Some have described it as "textbook" for the genre. I personally find your reference scent, Ambre Sultan, to be an original take on the dry variety of ambres, but it's just too "herbs de provence" and salty for me to cozy up to it. Ambre 114 is spicy as well but with a tad of sweetness without getting syrupy. Ambre Absolute by TF is a fair contender... but dips deeply into the syrupy realm and feels a bit too pure.. in other words... boring for my tastes.

Since you want projection and power, and an element of booze (alcohol) - Amouage Opus VI would be my top pick. It is the HOTTEST and most radiant ambre I have experienced. Go lightly on the trigger.

From the mentions above, I really need to try this Ambre Russe. It sounds like everything I would desire in an Ambre-based scent.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    If potent is what you're after, I'd suggest Blue Amber from Montale. It was way too big for me.
    Yes, blue amber is very potent! Good juice

Go buy a bottle of Ambre Precieux right now!

No but seriously it is amazing.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Ambre Russe is gorgeous and one of my favorite ambers, along with Ambre Précieux, Ambra Mediterranea, and L'Air du Désert Marocain. You'd be well served with Ambre Narguilé, as well.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Majority of amber's project and have good longevity..
    you must sample as I did..
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute is my absolute favorite amber

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Majority of amber's project and have good longevity..
    you must sample as I did..
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute is my absolute favorite amber
    Agree with all this.

Personally I hate Ambre Russe - one of my least favorite amber (actually ambergris not amber, but we have played that one out before).

My favorite ambers that I would call "potent" other than Ambre Sultan:

TF - Amber Absolute
    Tauer - LDDM (ambergris)
    Bond No. 9 - New York Amber
    by Kilian Amber Oud (but leans a bit feminine)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Go buy a bottle of Ambre Precieux right now!

No but seriously it is amazing.

yes - almost forgot about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Sounds like we have another convert in the house!
    Count me in too.

Basenotes Plus

I just sampled 10-12 Ambers
    These are what I would pick..
    Buy samples and find that you like..

Profumi del Forte Versilia Vintage - Ambra Mediterranea

Histoire de Parfums - Ambre 114

Profumum - Fiore d'Ambra

Parfum d’Empire - Amber Russe
    Last edited by rarebear; 15th January 2014 at 03:53 AM.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

I am among the small band who actually like Ambre Russe. It is strong rounded and long lasting. Booze and pipe tobacco, some find too feminine??
    I must add that I don't have others to compare with, except for Korres Saffron Ambre Cardamon, but that's another story I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    I am among the small band who actually like Ambre Russe. It is strong rounded and long lasting. Booze and pipe tobacco, some find too feminine??
    I must add that I don't have others to compare with, except for Korres Saffron Ambre Cardamon, but that's another story I think.
    I also never understood why ambre russe is listed as feminine. I like it a lot but still prefer other ambers.

I think Ambre Russe is a lovely scent but, like others, I find it much too feminine: the booze never goes away for me and it goes with a sort of tarte tatin sweetness that I can't get along with. My wife likes it on her, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I did not like Ambre Russe at all. IMO, it smells unpleasant, in a dirty, heavy, cigarette and skanky b.o. kind of way.
    Now that I would probably like!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post

+1 the strongest amber i used

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Sonoma Scent Studio-Amber Noire A beautiful amber that is NOT a gourmand. Amber and smoke.
    this!

Another one for Profumi del Forte Versilia Vintage - Ambra Mediterranea, I get phenomenal projection and longevity with this one.

+2 Definitely more masculine than feminine, last forever and smells gorgeous! A must try!

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I also never understood why ambre russe is listed as feminine. I like it a lot but still prefer other ambers.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

..not considering that unholy better issue, + 12.5 on

Earlier last year, I said that Prada Amber Intense was a potent amber. That was before I purchased Ambre Preceiux, Ambre Russe and Ambre 114. Great scents.

My vote goes to Ambre Russe followed closely by Ambre Fetiche. Russe for its booziness and Fetiche for its smoke and leather. Ive tried almost all the ones listed in this thread and they all are great ambers with the amber note very similar. The only differences are how they are dressed up with smoke, leather, spices, vanilla.....the only one here I cant stand is the great Ambre Sultan. Unfortunately too many spices for me.

Ambra Mediterranea is a gourmand amber which makes me think of chocolate. Longevity is a monster. Too sweet for me tho.

Better than Ambre Sultan? I don't even know how to answer this.

I will name another one that i love. Tom Ford Tobacco Oud. I don't care about what the notes say, Theres amber in here.