Blood concept
    L'Artisan
    On the fence with ADP
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Worst Niche Line And Why ?

Xerjoff .... Mediocre juice in fancy bottles . The emperors new clothes

Post Thanks / Like

creed, the batch variations they have just ruin most fragrances they have.
    ANDERSON = GOAT

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the majority here and say Bond no 9. Also, Comptor Sud Pacific (many of their fragrances are very unbalanced), Phaedon (not a very common house, tried a few from their line, all were failures).

As for Creed, I wouldn't go as far as saying they are the worst, they have some batch variation problems for sure, but some of their scents are epic. If you can't get the batch you want, then don't buy it. Simple.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Post Thanks / Like

Killian, Xerjoff, Montale, Lelabo are you guys serious? Quality of their juice comparing to bondN9 and greed is not even in the same league. That is regardless of personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Killian, Xerjoff, Montale, Lelabo are you guys serious? Quality of their juice comparing to bondN9 and greed is not even in the same league. That is regardless of personal preference.
    Well, this topic is very subjective and it is pretty much based on personal preference, haha.

I'll just again defend my selection of Kilian by noting that the quality of juice RECENTLY has been pretty mediocre, to be generous. They started off with some pretty good fragrances, but the recent releases have been lackluster.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Phaedon...sampled the whole line...some really nice smells...
    but to me was nonexistent longevity and projection...

Post Thanks / Like

Killian has more quality juices than Amouage.
    Outside of the subject but this is by far the best designed candle I've ever seen.

http://www.aedes.com/Ryan-Korban-Can...ck_p_1439.html

Proves they're pushing the envelop and using quality products.

Is Etat Libre d'Orange considered niche? If so, by far I think it is the worst line. I've sampled a dozen of its colognes. Not a single one was bottle worthy. Most smelled just plain bad. And the marketing isn't "edgy" or "funny" -- it's just stupid, like a 13-year-old-boy was put in charge of a cologne house.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

All of the popular niche houses will more than likely be the most talked about in this thread. I haven't read one single comment (I promise I haven't) with that said I guarantee Bond no.9 and Creed will lead the worst niche line.

Creed: Because of batch variations

Bond no.9: Over priced and synthetic.

Okay time for me to view the results to see how right I am.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol ok after tallying of course my suspicions were right Creed and Bond no.9 were the most mentioned which only markets them more to people.

Creed pulled in with 17 votes

Bond no.9 with 16 votes.

That is 33 votes out of 70 posts. Many posts were comments and not even votes, so that goes to show the success of both fragrance lines. People love to hate or hate to love em.
    Last edited by frostyicy; 15th April 2013 at 03:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Is Etat Libre d'Orange considered niche? If so, by far I think it is the worst line. I've sampled a dozen of its colognes. Not a single one was bottle worthy. Most smelled just plain bad. And the marketing isn't "edgy" or "funny" -- it's just stupid, like a 13-year-old-boy was put in charge of a cologne house.
    Looking at your current top ten list. I can see why ELd'O doesn't appeal to you.

I have to say though. Expand your scope because you're missing out in a lot. ELd'O has a lot to offer really.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    Lol ok after tallying of course my suspicions were right Creed and Bond no.9 were the most mentioned which only markets them more to people.

Creed pulled in with 17 votes

Bond no.9 with 16 votes.

That is 33 votes out of 70 posts. Many posts were comments and not even votes, so that goes to show the success of both fragrance lines. People love to hate or hate to love em.
    My guess is that many of the people that voted for Creed or Bond are not qualified to be voting on this topic in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

...common denominator with Blood Concept: Antoine Lie...

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotta wonder if these Creed guys are the ones I'd want to have with me in a dark alley. Constant whining about a house being hated. You ever hear about Guerlain haters, Chanel, Serge Lutens haters, etc? Seems to be a lack of character somewhere. There are many great stories about this so-called perfume house called Creed but it has nothing to with what I think of the individual fragrances. The fact that very few of them contain even a drop of mystery doesn't mean I haven't worn a few over the years. As far as moving perfumery forward I'd put em on the bottom of the list. Basically, great dish washing liquids and shampoos for people who don't really love perfume.

Lol@ this thread. I was actually quite surprised when I tried the Bond No. 9 fragrances because I liked so many of them, yet I recalled many on here giving them a bad rap for being Creed ripoffs. But interestingly enough, I found Chez Bond considerably more likable than GIT. So I think I wanna disagree with the Bond No. 9 mentions.
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

Surprised no one has mentioned Eccentric Molecules as 1/2 of their fragrances are literally one ingredient and sold for Niche prices. Most of this topic, as mentioned, screams "OMG X HOUSE IS OVERRATED" than an look at why a line is bad in general.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    Bond #9 because most of their fragrances are junk. Chinatown and New Haarlem are great, but I would die happy if I never smelled another scent from this house.
    +1 on this.

Also, http://www.thenonblonde.com/2008/01/...l#.UWxC9MokSt8

And this: http://www.thenonblonde.com/2008/01/...l#.UWxDBsokSt8
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Looking at your current top ten list. I can see why ELd'O doesn't appeal to you.

I have to say though. Expand your scope because you're missing out in a lot. ELd'O has a lot to offer really.
    Well, I kinda resent a phrase like "expand your scope." That implies I have a knee-jerk reaction to a house after trying one or two scents. I've tried at least a dozen ELdO scents (off the top of my head, I am fairly certain I've tried Fat Electrician, Like This, Je Suis un Homme, Tom of Finland, Delicious Closet Queen, the one that used to be called Sex Pistols or something like that, and several more), and didn't like a single one. That's plenty for me. I'd wager I've tried as many, if not more, ELdOs than many people here on basenotes. I think my scope is just fine. I retain my belief, based on the MANY ELdO scents I've smelled, that it's the worst niche house.

On the other hand, lots of people seem to be pretty content to call Creed the "worst" niche line. I know lots of people don't like Creed, and raise some very valid complaints about it (I know I've complained about it in the past), but to say that it's a candidate for "worst" line? Seems kind of bombastic to me.
    Current Top Ten:

2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    8. Bulgari Blu
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to find a Jo Malone that I would buy, but hope springs eternal.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of Creed, that being said the only fragrance I've tried from the line is GIT. I found it mediocre and rather boring to be honest. I should test further, but the hype surrounding GIT really threw me for a loop when I tried it and found it to be nothing special. This made me really not want to try Aventus.

Another vote for Jo Malone. Terrible, terrible longevity, and most lack much depth as they intended to be layered with each other. Their performance does not in any way correspond to their price, so even if you find some you like (and I don't mind a few of them) they aren't worth purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Trojan View Post
    Most of this topic, as mentioned, screams "OMG X HOUSE IS OVERRATED" than an look at why a line is bad in general.
    On the other hand, lots of people seem to be pretty content to call Creed the "worst" niche line. I know lots of people don't like Creed, and raise some very valid complaints about it (I know I've complained about it in the past), but to say that it's a candidate for "worst" line? Seems kind of bombastic to me.

Yes, as expected. The question was not "most overrated" - but WORST Niche Line. I find it hard to believe so many people would gladly take every niche houses offerings over that of Bond No. 9 or Creed. I would bet those people either didn't read the question, didn't care about the question and just saw another chance to bash Creed/Bond, or have not smelled very many offerings from either of those houses, or many other niche lines for that matter.

Aventus
    GIT
    Jardin d'Amalfi
    Spice & Wood
    Imperial Millesime
    Silver Mountain Water
    Original Vetiver
    Bois du Portugal
    Erolfa
    Himalaya

So, basically all those people are saying EVERY niche line they can think of (not one or two - but EVERY SINGLE ONE) has 10 fragrances currently in production today that can beat those hands down? If you don't like some of those, I can understand that (I don't love all of those either), but to not be able to list a single manufacturer that doesn't match up with that?

Please.

Post Thanks / Like

You also consider, not everyone has tried or branched out into multiple niche lines. "Worst" is also a very loose term. In my experiences I've enjoyed offerings from Bond No. 9, Lutens, Slumberhouse, Sonoma and CDG (if you consider it niche.) These are niche houses that I have only tried one or two fragrances from quite often. My experience with Creed is GIT and I have not been tempted to try other offerings due to my general distaste for the one offering I have tried. I was not a fan of Bond at first, we'll see if I open up to Creed...as of now I don't find they meet the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Yes, as expected. The question was not "most overrated" - but WORST Niche Line. I find it hard to believe so many people would gladly take every niche houses offerings over that of Bond No. 9 or Creed. I would bet those people either didn't read the question, didn't care about the question and just saw another chance to bash Creed/Bond, or have not smelled very many offerings from either of those houses, or many other niche lines for that matter.

Aventus
    GIT
    Jardin d'Amalfi
    Spice & Wood
    Imperial Millesime
    Silver Mountain Water
    Original Vetiver
    Bois du Portugal
    Erolfa
    Himalaya

So, basically all those people are saying EVERY niche line they can think of (not one or two - but EVERY SINGLE ONE) has 10 fragrances currently in production today that can beat those hands down? If you don't like some of those, I can understand that (I don't love all of those either), but to not be able to list a single manufacturer that doesn't match up with that?

Please.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    You also consider, not everyone has tried or branched out into multiple niche lines. "Worst" is also a very loose term. In my experiences I've enjoyed offerings from Bond No. 9, Lutens, Slumberhouse, Sonoma and CDG (if you consider it niche.) These are niche houses that I have only tried one or two fragrances from quite often. My experience with Creed is GIT and I have not been tempted to try other offerings due to my general distaste for the one offering I have tried. I was not a fan of Bond at first, we'll see if I open up to Creed...as of now I don't find they meet the hype.
    I understand not liking GIT, but perhaps it's going a tad far to say you don't think Creed meets the hype based on not liking a total of one scent. I hate Aventus (most overrated cologne ever, in my opinion) and Bois du Portugal (smells disgusting to me nose). If I had judged Creed based on just those two, I'd certainly agree with you. I guess it's a question of degree: how many colognes you have to try from a given house before you write it off. I'd just suggest that one is too few.
    Current Top Ten:

2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    8. Bulgari Blu
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

Bond No. 9 must cease and desist

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I kinda resent a phrase like "expand your scope." That implies I have a knee-jerk reaction to a house after trying one or two scents. I've tried at least a dozen ELdO scents (off the top of my head, I am fairly certain I've tried Fat Electrician, Like This, Je Suis un Homme, Tom of Finland, Delicious Closet Queen, the one that used to be called Sex Pistols or something like that, and several more), and didn't like a single one. That's plenty for me. I'd wager I've tried as many, if not more, ELdOs than many people here on basenotes. I think my scope is just fine. I retain my belief, based on the MANY ELdO scents I've smelled, that it's the worst niche house.

I see your point.

When I said expand your scope I didn't mean try more from a line before judging.

I meant perhaps you could expend the scope of what appeals to you.

I say this because eldo has a lot of nice perfumes. i don't like them all but appreciate the effort that went into creating the composition.

just friendly advice

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I'm just saying it's the worst of the ones that I have tried. This could be due to the fact I have tried and enjoyed the other niche fragrances I've sniffed. It's not fair for me to say it's the worst niche house, as I'm sure there are definitely worse out there. It's just the worst I have personally tried. I could add CB I hate Perfume to the list as I've only tried November and dislike it slightly less than GIT.

I understand not liking GIT, but perhaps it's going a tad far to say you don't think Creed meets the hype based on not liking a total of one scent. I hate Aventus (most overrated cologne ever, in my opinion) and Bois du Portugal (smells disgusting to me nose). If I had judged Creed based on just those two, I'd certainly agree with you. I guess it's a question of degree: how many colognes you have to try from a given house before you write it off. I'd just suggest that one is too few.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why people complain on and on about Creed prices. It's as if they don't want to acknowledge they are available at discounters for prices closer to their worth; which isnt much more than the price of a nice designer scent.

From the sound of this thread, niche is not living up to the asking prices in general. From what I've tried, they all perform about the same wih a few exceptions from each house. In reality, doesn't each house have its winners and losers, not to mention, lovers and haters of the winner/loser scents?

If you like it, buy it. If you don't, pass on it. Pretty simple.

MONTALE

I have tried many of their scents I'm yet to find one that I like or even one that is wearable.

Post Thanks / Like

Montale is just alright, I tried quite a few at Skins in Vegas this past week. Wood and Spices smells pretty good, but definitely doesn't smell like wood and spices. The new oud was nothing out of this world either IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LoPsOrange View Post
    MONTALE

I have tried many of their scents I'm yet to find one that I like or even one that is wearable.

Post Thanks / Like

The only way that I can rate a house as a whole is to consider the percentage of fragrances that I like versus what they offer. With the majority of niche houses, there are only 1-3 fragrances out of there line-up that I like, so it's easier for me to list the niche houses that I think are worthwhile.

Creed-has the highest overall number and % of fragrances that I wear and enjoy.
    Serge Lutens-I enjoy most of their fragrances and love the artistry and journey that many of them take me on.

Given my method of judging a house, rather than a certain individual scent, all other niche houses are rubbish.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to go with Bond.

I've smelt entire lines of a few houses now, and even fragrances I didn't like too much in other houses, I can remember. Tom Ford Italian Cypress. I didn't like that too much, but I remember it.

I can't even remember what most of the Bond fragrances smell like. They were just all... 'meh', and for the price it's a bit crazy. Forgettable scents.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Agreed. I'm just saying it's the worst of the ones that I have tried. This could be due to the fact I have tried and enjoyed the other niche fragrances I've sniffed. It's not fair for me to say it's the worst niche house, as I'm sure there are definitely worse out there. It's just the worst I have personally tried. I could add CB I hate Perfume to the list as I've only tried November and dislike it slightly less than GIT.
    You know, I just looked at your wardrobe, and it's a fine collection -- I'm very surprised you have a 43-bottle collection, with lots of diverse niche and mainstream scents, and have only tried one Creed. I think to really have an opinion on the house, I'd recommend you try at least a few others. Even if you don't like any, it's a fun journey.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thegoon24 View Post
    Bond No. 9 must cease and desist
    My favorite post in this thread.
    Current Top Ten:

2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    8. Bulgari Blu
    10. YSL Kouros

Probably Bond, though I don't know many of their fragrances outside of New Haarlem (which I own). Generally speaking they have a crap load of fragrances, high prices, etc.
    Fragrance blog returning in May 2014!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usedtowork View Post

The herd of Creed astroturfers and fanboys here on Basenotes need an enemy to galvanize against, and Bond is the target.
    That's an astute observation. It's the Mets vs. the Yankees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    On the fence with ADP
    IMO junk. Smell any ADP then a really cheap drugstore fragrance or a dept store frag and you will smell a general "cheapie" note that is common in all of them. I can't figure out what it is but it is in all the low end fragrances. If I get any wiff of it I drop the bottle right there.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also like to call out Guerlian. YES people Guerlain. I put them on the fence as of now. I've purchased way too many great smelling fragrances from them that just fizzle out like a match after 2 hrs. The last hour being a QUIET hour.

Somehow Guerlian has figured out how to still make an amazing scent that lasts long enough to FOOL YOU into believing it is quality. Then 2 hrs later you are jones' ing for a wiff.

I call it like I smell it !

Post Thanks / Like

With my limited experience I would say Bond No. 9 far too many synthetic scents that are passed off as Niche quality.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes to Blood Concepts. Just the name alone is just wrong, unless your an actor on Twilight/True Blood/Vamp Diaries..
    Live Aloha! Live Da HIlife!

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.antonioli.eu/en/designers...cept?gen=Donna

uber cool. they even have MA+ perfume

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    IMO junk. Smell any ADP then a really cheap drugstore fragrance or a dept store frag and you will smell a general "cheapie" note that is common in all of them. I can't figure out what it is but it is in all the low end fragrances. If I get any wiff of it I drop the bottle right there.

I would also like to call out Guerlian. YES people Guerlain. I put them on the fence as of now. I've purchased way too many great smelling fragrances from them that just fizzle out like a match after 2 hrs. The last hour being a QUIET hour.

Somehow Guerlian has figured out how to still make an amazing scent that lasts long enough to FOOL YOU into believing it is quality. Then 2 hrs later you are jones' ing for a wiff.

I call it like I smell it !
    Ok I'll bite. I know you say you can't figure out what it is, but can you narrow down at all this note in Acqua di Parma that also exists in these drugstore cheapies?

Also, nominating Guerlain in this thread are you talking about Guerlain's 'niche' line - Tonka Imperiale, Cuir Beluga and the like - or their regular offerings? Either way, I have to disagree with your assertions about their longevity.
    With the exception of the L'Eau range, I get excellent longevity from Guerlain.
    Shalimar (wearing it today), Habit Rouge and even my despised Vetiver each give me at least 5-6 hours.
    TI, LIDGE and SDV each go above and beyond that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    http://www.antonioli.eu/en/designers...cept?gen=Donna

uber cool. they even have MA+ perfume
    Ill def give them bottles and names, theirs are kinda cool (ok pretty cool)
    Live Aloha! Live Da HIlife!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Ok I'll bite. I know you say you can't figure out what it is, but can you narrow down at all this note in Acqua di Parma that also exists in these drugstore cheapies?

Also, nominating Guerlain in this thread are you talking about Guerlain's 'niche' line - Tonka Imperiale, Cuir Beluga and the like - or their regular offerings? Either way, I have to disagree with your assertions about their longevity.
    With the exception of the L'Eau range, I get excellent longevity from Guerlain.
    Shalimar (wearing it today), Habit Rouge and even my despised Vetiver each give me at least 5-6 hours.
    TI, LIDGE and SDV each go above and beyond that.

Sorry I don't know what the note is but I co named it the "Cheapie" note. I've smelled it in the Giorgio Beverly Hills Reform also Quorom and ADP Assoluta. Add a few Sephora bombs to the mix.

I have not tried many from the Guerlian Niche line. My accusations come after owning or trying Vetiver Heritage Sous Le Vent and Mitsouko EDP. Sous Le Vent being the biggest lie of about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Sorry I don't know what the note is but I co named it the "Cheapie" note. I've smelled it in the Giorgio Beverly Hills Reform also Quorom and ADP Assoluta. Add a few Sephora bombs to the mix.

I have not tried many from the Guerlian Niche line. My accusations come after owning or trying Vetiver Heritage Sous Le Vent and Mitsouko EDP. Sous Le Vent being the biggest lie of about 15 minutes.
    Haha I like that name. I'm gonna try a couple of ADPs next to Quorum next time I head to the department store. From memory there was one from the Colonia line I didn't like at all, but it certainly wasn't Colonia itself - I think that stuff is wonderful.

I've never tried the latter three Guerlains you mentioned - anyone else shed any light on them?

Post Thanks / Like

But then it's equally "bombastic" to name any fragrance as "worst." But that's what the OP was asking for.

It's funny how many people seem to think that if you answer with Creed, then you're either an idiot, or you haven't tried the fragrances, or you didn't understand the question. It's just not possible that you dislike Creed's fragrances and their image. And if you answer Creed and explain what you don't like about them, then you're bashing and hating on Creed. So essentially, you can't give Creed as an answer.

My problem is just that I find their scents for men boring. And a few of the ones for women are screechy. Fleurissimo is the only fragrance I've tried that's guaranteed to give me a headache. And I dislike their stuffy image and the sales people who seem to be trained to spout nonsense about which celebrities wear which fragrance. The whole package just puts me off.

I'm also not a fan of Montale, but I don't find their fragrances boring, so they don't get the vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Byredo, ELdO and Tauer. I haven't found a single one bottleworthy in their series and rest assured I've tested at least 90% of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    But then it's equally "bombastic" to name any fragrance as "worst." But that's what the OP was asking for.

It's funny how many people seem to think that if you answer with Creed, then you're either an idiot, or you haven't tried the fragrances, or you didn't understand the question. It's just not possible that you dislike Creed's fragrances and their image. And if you answer Creed and explain what you don't like about them, then you're bashing and hating on Creed. So essentially, you can't give Creed as an answer.

My problem is just that I find their scents for men boring. And a few of the ones for women are screechy. Fleurissimo is the only fragrance I've tried that's guaranteed to give me a headache. And I dislike their stuffy image and the sales people who seem to be trained to spout nonsense about which celebrities wear which fragrance. The whole package just puts me off.

I'm also not a fan of Montale, but I don't find their fragrances boring, so they don't get the vote.
    See, I think you actually hit the nail on the head in the middle of your post, without intending to. You say:

"If you answer Creed and explain what you don't like about them, then you're bashing and hating on Creed. So essentially, you can't give Creed as an answer."

That's where we totally disagree. This is an internet forum, and I love to hear other opinions about houses. In your post, you give excellent reasons why you don't like Creed. While I may disagree, it's enjoyable reading your opinion, and it shows you've actually given it some thought. For example, I hadn't even thought of Creed's female scents.

I was responding primarily to a poster who said he thought Creed was the absolute worst niche house because he had tried a grand total of one scent he did not like. I retain my belief that it is bombastic to call a house the "worst" in the world having tried a total of one out of the 75 or so fragrances it produces.
    Current Top Ten:

2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    8. Bulgari Blu
    10. YSL Kouros

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had a ton of experience with Niche, but I'm exploring it more and more all the time. I will say this, though, I find it weird that many on this thread state which niche house they think is the worst, yet then say they like a few of their frags or own a few of their frags. That doesn't make sense to me...if that house didn't exist then you wouldn't own that frag that you obviously like because you bought it, etc. You should be grateful that that house produced that fragrance then for that one frag that they produced and that you enjoy. For me, the worst niche house should be the one that you haven't found even one frag of theirs that you like...case in point for me, Montaleor Killian- I haven't found one frag in their lines that I have enjoyed. I do have to state, though, that I have only smelled about 8 Montale frags so my opinion could or should change by experiencing more of them...but, as for my limited experience I haven't liked any of them...not even a little.

Killian, on the other hand, I don't like any of them...and I think I have smelled and resmelled the entire line a few times. They are all powdery to my nose and I hate powder so thus I hate that they use powdery notes in all of them...seriously, they all smell powdery to me.

Call me crazy or weird or something, but I like to base fragrances on the sense of smell...I know, weird huh...not on the bottles, not on the advertising, not on which celebrity endorses what frag, not on if it's popular or not....just on what my nose tells me when I smell it. If it smells good, then...wait for it...I like it no matter the bottle shape or the story behind it...go figure...I'm weird like that. So, thus I'm not swayed by a name. I'm a big Bond fan even though it's pretty much spit upon and looked down upon here on Basenotes...and I just don't care. I've liked a lot of their frags...I've said it before and I'll say it again, they have quite a few great ones and quite a few not-so-great ones, but EVERY HOUSE has the same thing going on.

Creed...yeah, I'll mention it, I am not a fan of. I have yet to find a frag of theirs that I like, and I have smelled practically the entire line over and over again. BUT, that being said, I don't consider it the worst niche house because there are a few "pleasant" one's in the bunch...not saying that I like them, but they are "pleasant". It's just that Montale and Killian are worse to my nose than Creed.

So, after my much rambling, that's my 2 cents. I base my decision on my nose and what it tells me...the end.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Apologies for being predictable but:

Bond No 9/ Creed

Closely follwed by (the non-entity that is)

Byredo

Post Thanks / Like

Montale is the one house with many fragrances and only one that I like. My vote went to Blood Concept because I find the whole thing stupid and the scents bad, but as far as the total number of fragrances versus the number that I actually like, Montale takes the cake. I've sampled at least 15, maybe 20 Montales. Blue Amber is the only one I liked. In general I find Montales thick, heavy, stuffy, clumsy, over-powering, and very obnoxious. However, I don't think I can say their the worst niche line, as they have a hard-core following and scents like Black Aoud get repeated mentions on Top Ten and Top 5 lists. I've never heard one person name a Blood Concept in their top 10.

I also dislike oud, which makes me prejudiced toward Montale in general. But Mukhalat? Yuck! No oud in that and its absolutely terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Goutal and yes Bond 9 is overpriced even though I like and own some of them!
    you can't pay a fortune for inconsistent stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Strangely enough, the intense hate for Bond no. 9 is largely limited toward Basenotes. Go anywhere else, and you'll find that people actually like Bond no. 9

I can guess this is because Basenotes is heavily dominated by men and the Bond no. 9 house is more popular with women. Go anywhere where the male-female ratio is even, and I doubt you'll see this much hate toward Bond.

But also, because people here tend to prefer heavier more masculine fragrances, whereas Bond is largely unisex.
    Well,... I was about to name Bond no. 9 as the worst niche house I know when I read your post. Boring scents sold for way too much money. I can appreciate Chinatown from a distance (though my teeth would rot away if I were to put it on) and I do like Andy Warhol Silver Factory. The rest? Don't waste your money...

You might be right though that people outside Basenotes like the house much more. I sold my unwanted samples and the buyer was totally smitten by then. I also regularly get the question if I have Bond no. 9 scents up for sale.

Romea d'Ameor is also worthless, a collection of nondescript aquatic florals.

There are some other houses which do have a few great scents but I find the majority of their offerings boring/pointless: Creed, ELdO, Montale, By Kilian, Juliette Has a Gun.
    Last edited by bonsai; 17th April 2013 at 02:47 PM.