Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default A little help please

My sister is turning 50 soon and she never likes to pamper herself instead focusing on her family. I wanted to get her a really nice fragrance for her birthday however I have no idea what to get. My wife does not wear fragrances so I have nothing to go by.
    My sister is a 3rd grade school teacher and lives on the Texas gulf coast so there is always heat and humidity. Any suggestions would be welcome so I can go smell them.

Thanks

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: A little help please

You may want to list a price range you are wanting to spend. This will give posters a better idea in what to suggest.

What a lovely brother you are to want to pamper your sister. Are there any friends you could ask what she already wears so you can get an idea of her taste? Can you have a 'fishing' conversation where you mention someone else's perfume and see what crops up in her conversations? Can you bribe a child to go and examine her dressing table and see what bottles are already on her dressing table. Not to copy, just to get an idea of what she already likes.

We can suggest a million perfumes but it would be much more fun to get it right. Have you got much time to get any clues? If we could obtain a list of all the perfumes she has ever loved, then we may be able to do a perfume analysis of them and suggest some new ones more along the right lines.

Some that I think would be nice in the Texas Gulf Coast climate: Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte, Chanel No 5 Eau Première, Bulgari Mon Jasmin Noir l'Eau Exquise, Estee Lauder Pure White Linen Light Breeze. They are all citrussy with floral components.

I agree, it would be helpful if we knew what type of fragrances she likes. Does she have a sweet tooth? Maybe she would like Prada Candy L'Eau or something gourmand. Another one that I wore last summer in Florida that held up surprisingly well in heat and humidity was Valentino Valentina.

Do you have a price range? Are you looking for something mainstream and easy to find (like those suggestions above), or more niche/artisinal, classic or very modern? We love to offer suggestions here, but maybe need to narrow the field a bit.

Acqua di Parma original Colonia (citrusy) is very refreshing in the heat too, but maybe in short supply?

Basenotes Member

Enlisting the help of my niece I found out that my sisters favorite is Bath and Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom. This is typical of my sister, spend $150 on shoes for her kid to play basketball and spend $20 on herself. In researching Japanese Cherry Blossom I found it discribed as this:
    Top Notes: Asian Pear, Fuji Apple and Ume Plum
    Mid Notes: Japanese Cherry Blossom, Butterfly Lily, Kyoto Rose, Mimosa Petals
    Dry Notes: Vanilla Rice, Imperial Amber, Silk Musk, Cinnamon Incense, Himalayan Cedarwood and creamy Sandalwood

For those of you who asked on price I would like to stay around $100 (US)

Banned

then i think she would love Liaisons dangereuses but this is unf more then 100 usd refill bottle.....

another summer frag: Eau d Hiver.....Frederic Malle....

for me its much easier to pick winter frag......seems like there are more options and my sugestions are all expensive

Serge Lutens BOis de Violette its 150 usd frag...etc

lpp gave you nice hint

I'd check out the Jo Malone or the Guerlain Aqua Allegoria line.

Banned

oh parfums de nicolai L eau CHic....is nice summer frag!! its very youthful uplifting....you can buy it from luckyscent i think 30ml 45 usd and 100ml is 115 usd

if this was my sister i would buy that one

How about Jour d' Hermes? It's the new Jean Claude Ellena scent - a little more interesting than a light cherry blossom, and more modern.

Whatever you purchase, see if they can set you up with a sample size in addition to the bottle purchase. Include the sample with the gift and that way your sister can try it out and confirm she enjoys it over the course of several days. If this is not something she'd usually buy herself, it's a nice way to ease her into the idea of a new fragrance.

Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien - fits your price range and is a very gd frag particularly for summers.

Thanks iivanita - u can re-apply those sort of colognes when it's sticky weather
    Last edited by lpp; 14th April 2013 at 08:02 AM.

With seattlelight -- One word: Hermes. More than one word: check Caleche Eau Delicate and Un Jardin (4 fragrances, all different) line.

This is another one for Chanel Cristalle - both, the original or verte - or Annick Goutal Eau de Hadrien.

If it is hot and humid I would pick a scent that follows the classic Eau de Cologne structure. Those scents are refreshing and inoffensiv but might require reapplication. Others that come to my mind are Chanel Eau de Cologne or Guerlaine Imperial Eau de Cologne. The green tea scents from Bulgari (Eau Parfumée au thé verte or the extreme version) by Jean Claude Ellena might be an option as well.

Quote Originally Posted by belt2606 View Post
    Mid Notes: Japanese Cherry Blossom, Butterfly Lily, Kyoto Rose, Mimosa Petals
    Dry Notes: Vanilla Rice, Imperial Amber, Silk Musk, Cinnamon Incense, Himalayan Cedarwood and creamy Sandalwood
    Ok, let's have a look then... It's not a heavy duty thing, there is a gentle fruity sweet note there, some fairly light hearted florals on the very feminine side supported gently with some gentle woods and not too sweet notes, with a gentle twist of spice. So she's a girly floral, rich but not too heavy based.

Here are some ideas based on that but headed in different directions for a change:-
    Go green with Gucci Envy - a fresh green floral of good quality. Veers away from the rosy floral slightly if she wanted a change that was still light hearted but well constructed.

Go citrus with Xerjoff 1861 - fresh citrus with some interesting florals. A natural smelling fresh perfume.

Go pretty lily with Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Lys Soleia - a gentle and inoffensive lily slightly sweet vanilla light frag.

Tropical floral with Bvlgari Omnia Coral. A well blended red fruits without being heavy.

And just because she loves her children, then maybe she will like the story behind this one. Oriental lily with GoodTrueBeautiful ForeverLily or LoveLily.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I think there is a matching book with the last suggestion.

Try Chance Chanel, Coco Noir or Mademoiselle Chanel, Chanel N5 Eau Premiére, Lacoste Pour Femme, Champs Elysées Guerlain, Bulgari Jasmin Noir, Elie Saab Le Parfum, Elle YSL, Pure Poison Dior.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Ok, let's have a look then... It's not a heavy duty thing, there is a gentle fruity sweet note there, some fairly light hearted florals on the very feminine side supported gently with some gentle woods and not too sweet notes, with a gentle twist of spice. So she's a girly floral, rich but not too heavy based.

Tropical floral with Bvlgari Omnia Coral. A well blended red fruits without being heavy.
    Before I jumped into this fragrance adventure, I wore BBW Japanese Cherry Blossom almost exclusively for 2 years. I still really enjoy it. So I second these two suggestions: Bulgari Omnia Coral and Jasmin Noir. They would be similar to something you already know she likes -- and both of these are well within your preferred price range.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 15th April 2013 at 03:43 PM.