Code of Conduct

Lightbulb weather appropriate & effect

hey guys

i'm a bit lazy to dig into the threads and find the informations about how weather would affect how fragrance is perceived, so i think it would be good to get one thread in here, as a compilation on why we ought to wear certain fragrance with certain notes in a certain weather condition.. i've read the opinions in postings and it's clear in some situation (hot day = wear orangey citrus smell for fresh impression) but sometimes it's just unclear like why some things would smell better in humid hot place or what to wear in humid rainy season... i've never lived in snowy places or any autumn, so i have no first hand experience.

your thoughts?

Default Re: weather appropriate & effect

My feelings are simple. I don't choose my fragrances to wear based on weather or climate. It's completely irrelevant for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't choose my fragrances to wear based on weather or climate.
    <<<-----Same here...

Popular choices here on BN are heavier leathers / incense / oud's / musk for the colder weather and any citrus / aquatic's for summers...

Banned
    Blog Entries

While you could wear any fragrance any season you want but some fragrances are better suited for particular seasons

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My feelings are simple. I don't choose my fragrances to wear based on weather or climate. It's completely irrelevant for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    <<<-----Same here...

Popular choices here on BN are heavier leathers / incense / oud's / musk for the colder weather and any citrus / aquatic's for summers...
    well, the one thing i want to know is the rule of thumb, sort of what to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    While you could wear any fragrance any season you want but some fragrances are better suited for particular seasons
    i know, i mean what's the reasoning behind which suited for the particular seasons? oud may choke people in hot humid summer?

Banned
    Blog Entries

yeah, something heavier will project a lot more in the summer. for fragrances that dont project well, that's a blessing. but a fragrance like le male for example, even one spray, on a hot day, will create a giant mist around you and you dont want that kind of attention

but this only applies outdoors. keep in mind that indoors, will always be room temperature, even in the winter

As others have said, to a large extent it is a matter of taste. Heat increases the power of a fragrance, so substances that are already very powerful may become overwhelming (for instance, leathers or dirty musks). Also, some substances tend to be perceived as cozy, warm, conforting (eg vanilla, certain woods, gourmands), which is not necessarily what you want when it's already hot. Other substances, in contrast, may smell fresh and cooling (like citrus or vetiver), which is perhaps what one wants when it's very hot.

cacio

Agreed. Also, when it's very hot outside, one might perspire. Perspiration, in my experience can make the fragrance smell sour depending on what type of fragrance it is. That's why when it gets quite hot outside people aren't TYPICALLY reaching for something super rich as cacio stated. Although, I do enjoy wearing woody and light spicy frags in the summer, particularly because they are indeed amplified. When most keep these fragrances typically for fall and winter use, I bust mine out in late May

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others have said, to a large extent it is a matter of taste. Heat increases the power of a fragrance, so substances that are already very powerful may become overwhelming (for instance, leathers or dirty musks).
    cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 0101 View Post
    hey guys

i'm a bit lazy to dig into the threads [...]
    I'm a bit lazy to think of reasons.

Blog Entries

Only thing I can think of is...

Ever been on a crowded bus in the middle of summer and SOMEONE on the bus is choking everyone out with their thick and heavy perfume? Don't be that guy.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Default Re: weather appropriate &amp;amp; effect

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I'm a bit lazy to think of reasons.
    why, thank you for sharing that...
    i see you're lazy to think too, well, i said threads, as in multiples probably more than 20, each asked for certain season or weather. i was suggesting we have a complete compilation of what to choose in which weather & why choose a particular fragrance, so that unworthy newbie like me can have a better idea in a continuing thread instead.

again, sorry to bother your brain, your highness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    Only thing I can think of is...

Ever been on a crowded bus in the middle of summer and SOMEONE on the bus is choking everyone out with their thick and heavy perfume? Don't be that guy.
    i agree, that's what i want to avoid, and i would also want to avoid being that guy that stinks of something awful in a dark humid rainy day outside when we take cover from the rain...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others have said, to a large extent it is a matter of taste. Heat increases the power of a fragrance, so substances that are already very powerful may become overwhelming (for instance, leathers or dirty musks). Also, some substances tend to be perceived as cozy, warm, conforting (eg vanilla, certain woods, gourmands), which is not necessarily what you want when it's already hot. Other substances, in contrast, may smell fresh and cooling (like citrus or vetiver), which is perhaps what one wants when it's very hot.

cacio
    that is a perfectly great explanation, thank you cacio

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Agreed. Also, when it's very hot outside, one might perspire. Perspiration, in my experience can make the fragrance smell sour depending on what type of fragrance it is. That's why when it gets quite hot outside people aren't TYPICALLY reaching for something super rich as cacio stated. Although, I do enjoy wearing woody and light spicy frags in the summer, particularly because they are indeed amplified. When most keep these fragrances typically for fall and winter use, I bust mine out in late May
    hmm, that's very true, i guess even how the fragrance will smell after perspiration is depending on the person's natural odor as well...

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    yeah, something heavier will project a lot more in the summer. for fragrances that don't project well, that's a blessing. but a fragrance like le male for example, even one spray, on a hot day, will create a giant mist around you and you dont want that kind of attention

but this only applies outdoors. keep in mind that indoors, will always be room temperature, even in the winter
    does something heavier in summer equals more projection or that heat boost the projection, regardless of the fragrance? i'm such a newb i seriously have no idea

wait, never mind, cacio explained that in his post, sorry...
    Last edited by 0101; 15th April 2013 at 11:31 PM.

My taste tends to change depending on the weather, and I just go with what I feel like wearing. So I'm indirectly affected by the weather. But I don't categorize my fragrances as "weather-appropriate." Also, humidity sometimes seems to magnify fragrances a bit, which can be worth remembering. Your mileage may vary, though, so I'd suggest you experiment for yourself. Don't let us tell you what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    My taste tends to change depending on the weather, and I just go with what I feel like wearing. So I'm indirectly affected by the weather. But I don't categorize my fragrances as "weather-appropriate." Also, humidity sometimes seems to magnify fragrances a bit, which can be worth remembering. Your mileage may vary, though, so I'd suggest you experiment for yourself. Don't let us tell you what to do!
    i think what makes you feel like wearing certain frag might be the fact that you've had better nose / instinct (and experience as well) on what's going to work for certain weather.., because i have no idea what will work other than what i have, and i'm quite certain for other newbies it's also harder to know what's the guideline, which what i'm trying to figure out...

re: humidity, dry air doesn't boost the projection as much as humidity? i have to take notice more on this kind of things, and maybe i should wear more than 2 sprays some day... but i don't want to be the "cologne guy" in the office

do you think that hot night cause the same effect as daytime heat? i mean of course nighttime wouldn't be as hot, but you know, in general, compared to cooler days/nights...

not so much season and temperature, but humidity level is what i believe makes the difference. f.e. some say l'humaniste by frapin is a wonderful summer scent... go wear it in a humid hot climate... the synthetics were killing me last summer. horrible.
    a classic masterpiece scent like caron pour un homme gets totally ruined on me under the same conditions, but at least does not make me sick, since the ingredients are more natural.
    i would say... in a hot humid weather best choice is alcohol free deodorant stick... most perfumes don't wear well on a very humid weather with extreme temperatures (this includes cold)
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 12, by quartets:
    1. Zafar, Onda, Tuba, Reve en Cuir
    5. Coromandel, Ex-Idolo 33, Bois D'Encens, Dia Man
    9. Ore, Montecristo, Danger Homme, Derby

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Quote Originally Posted by 0101 View Post
    i think what makes you feel like wearing certain frag might be the fact that you've had better nose / instinct (and experience as well) on what's going to work for certain weather.., because i have no idea what will work other than what i have, and i'm quite certain for other newbies it's also harder to know what's the guideline, which what i'm trying to figure out...

re: humidity, dry air doesn't boost the projection as much as humidity? i have to take notice more on this kind of things, and maybe i should wear more than 2 sprays some day... but i don't want to be the "cologne guy" in the office

do you think that hot night cause the same effect as daytime heat? i mean of course nighttime wouldn't be as hot, but you know, in general, compared to cooler days/nights...
    Yes, you make a point: experience with fragrances tells you how they'll wear in warmer or cooler weather. But the same fragrance that kills me when it's warm out might work well for you. The only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself. Once you do that a bit you'll also get a better feeling for what works and what doesn't. There's no way around it - The only real way to answer your question is to put in a bit of mileage!

Overcome By Fumes

I mostly live at temperatures near room temperature. If it's very cold or very hot, I'm probably indoors where the temperature is, uh, room temperature, or trying to get to a place that is near room temperature. Yes I can put up with some heat or cold to do something fun like skiing or hanging at the beach, but I'm usually not that aware of fragrance in such settings no matter what I'm wearing. I like to wear spicy, aromatic, green, chypre, leathery, gourmandish, oriental, woody fragrances when I'm in room temperature settings. I like to wear watery, melon-y, aquatic, synthetic-smelling fragrances when hell freezes over.

I wear what I want when I want.

I do like heavy/thick fragrances in the cold because it cuts through the cold, and I like lighter fragrances in the hot weather because the heat warms my body and keeps the fragrance pumping, yet it isn't cloying.

Lighter fragrances in the cold seem to dry up quick and thicker fragrances in the heat seem to over do it.

I am one of those who think the climate is rather important in choosing your fragrance. Coming from a cold country and now living in the tropics - it makes you consider how fragrances relate to the environment. We all live in a 'context' including climate, whether we care or not.

Since the tropics is hot & humid, there are some fragrances that easily become too 'heavy'. From personal experience, I have problems wearing very sweet fragrances, very ambery, or fragrances with strong oud in the tropical climate. I find the most suitable ones to be chypres, florals and woody/spicy. This might only be my preferences though.....
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule

Scents evoke certain sensations that are linked to temperature.

Bergamot, lemon, orange and the citric family for example react to warm weather and smell great in the heat.

Resins, leather and others give a sensation of warmth in the cold.

That said, I've worn leather in 55 degrees Celsius.

for swap/sale:

vetiver is great in the heat. you can find your version, within the fresh, green or grassy ones, with citrus or else with flowers, or even the light woody ones, there are so many with it as a main note.
    it can sometimes mix really well with body heat.
    I particularly enjoy the for men 'Noir' by St Dupont ,and the mostly natural one by Korres 'Vetiver root ..' , (as well as the vetiver note in Chanel no 19 and other feminine florals). but you can do a search

also good Eau de Colognes (Hermes, Guerlain, Mugler), last less but if the need you can re-spray. they are made for refreshing, and they somehow refresh the mind too..
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

A while ago, I still used to match my fragrances quite carefully with the weather (or, what I thought to be weather-appropriate). Now, it's pretty much going with the flow and whatever I feel like, since few of my fragrances are heavy projection and longevity beasts anyway.