Code of Conduct

Thread: Scales

Default Scales

I am looking for a good set of cheapish digital scales for weighing ingredients, any suggestions guys?

Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Default Re: Scales

I second that recommendation. I actually found the MyWeigh i101 on eBay for $70 but have purchased other scales from the link above with great satisfaction. I think this scale works great for this purpose.

paul

Researched this recently and found a scale I am very happy with, the JS-200XV. I think the brand is J-scale. Found it for cheap at a head shop, and a cute hippy girl sold it to me, as an added bonus.

This scale has a good balance of all the qualities you look for, as well as cheap price. I went on the advice of Chris B and others, as far as criteria. It seems better than the ones some were using, at a better price.

Basenotes Member

I found a 300 gram/ .001 g scale at Tmart.com for about $150 US.

I have the ibalance Iweigh one and it does have a very serious shortcoming. If one is putting really micro amounts in a blend and being a little slow, the dratted thing cuts out and goes to sleep in mid weigh. It is essential to record every weight as you go along so that if it cuts out, then that blend is not rubbished. Either that or remembering to give it a good poke of the plate every now and again so that it doesn't get sleepy.

In saying that, it is brilliant in every other way.

I must say that this price and performance are very good, Scarletj, Would you tell us how it works out for you?

http://www.tmart.com/300g-x-0.001g-B...67.html?cc=USD

I see the free shipping price to be $95.99
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Member

pkiler, as soon as I've used it enough to have a good sense of its actual performance, I'll let people know.

I found it by accident by looking at scales on ebay, and this model came up. When I researched the model, I didn't find complaints, but found the tmart & much lower price.....

- - - Updated - - -

All right, to report, the tmart balance is ....adequate. You get what you pay for - around $100 US for .001g/300g balance, its directions are rather minimal, I had to figure out how to put it together & I'm uncertain I was able to calibrate it successfully. I did weigh a few things and it seems consistent, which is good.

However, it is as I said, adequate. I think I would only trust to .01g measure for the most part. It does have an air-shield hood, with a convenient little hole where you can use a dropper to add to the material you are measuring.

I think this is a decent balance for a beginner, like me, but I don't think anyone would want to use it for commercial formulations, I think when those of us decide get to that point, it would be time to invest in a name-brand one.
    Last edited by Scarletj; 3rd May 2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: grammar

I have bought a food scale ( portion control scale) from Myscalestore , working very well for me. It has some special features as compare to other available in the market. The most important that it has a PC connecting port, Providing me much ease to connect it with my PC or printer.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I have the ibalance Iweigh one and it does have a very serious shortcoming. If one is putting really micro amounts in a blend and being a little slow, the dratted thing cuts out and goes to sleep in mid weigh. It is essential to record every weight as you go along so that if it cuts out, then that blend is not rubbished. Either that or remembering to give it a good poke of the plate every now and again so that it doesn't get sleepy.
    I have two scales and they both do that. The Ozeri kitchen one takes longer to go to sleep, but it isn't as good as the American Weigh one at small amounts. I have to write things down before they nod off.

Are there any scales that don't nod off?
    "This, what is it in itself, and by itself, according to its proper constitution? What is the substance of it? What is the matter, or proper use? What is the form, or efficient cause? What is it for in this world, and how long will it abide? Thus must thou examine all things that present themselves unto thee." Marcus Aurelius

The one I posted about (and own) can be set not to nod off. It has most other such features that are useful to perfumers as well.

Thanks, Doc! I've done some searching and that one has been discontinued. The new gen is the Jennings/J-scale JSR-200. I don't know if it has the option to turn off the "nod off" feature like your older model has. Is there a switch or something?
    Last edited by MissVanilla; 8th July 2014 at 03:34 PM.
    "This, what is it in itself, and by itself, according to its proper constitution? What is the substance of it? What is the matter, or proper use? What is the form, or efficient cause? What is it for in this world, and how long will it abide? Thus must thou examine all things that present themselves unto thee." Marcus Aurelius

The newer one probably has it too, but I'd check.

The nod off feature ..... It is essential, vital, and double essential, to be able to turn it off. I cannot emphasise that enough.

Mine doesn't have it as far as I am aware (I-weigh). It will just turn itself off if I have taken too long doing something. Like getting an ingredient out or get interrupted. So if I haven't written down the bottle weight and every single addition in fine detail then I will lose the whole blend. I have to keep prodding the plate to make sure it doesn't happen in mid weigh. Really annoying but mostly avoidable until that one time forgotten, and then bam, off, and the blend lost.

The nod off feature ..... It is essential, vital, and double essential, to be able to turn it off. I cannot emphasise that enough.

Mine doesn't have it as far as I am aware (I-weigh). It will just turn itself off if I have taken too long doing something. Like getting an ingredient out or get interrupted. So if I haven't written down the bottle weight and every single addition in fine detail then I will lose the whole blend. I have to keep prodding the plate to make sure it doesn't happen in mid weigh. Really annoying but mostly avoidable until that one time forgotten, and then bam, off, and the blend lost.
    LOL I'm nodding here and empathizing cos it's infuriating! I feel so stupid too, every time it happens...
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Makes for a big bottle of millefleurs. Lol

(I posted this by mistake on the wrong 'other' old thread Re: a good scale - 0.01 or 0.001g?) so repeating it here....

Another thing to just have a little think about first is what quantities you intend to mix. My scale weighs up to 100g and has been absolutely fantastic. Aside from the cut out which is avoidable with care. It has been a really good and relatively inexpensive asset. It weighs to 0.005.

Now I am making larger quantities, I am finding it is too small so I have to measure into a beaker and pour into the larger container and then weigh the residue to conserve accuracy. This is no problem but I will need a bigger scale soon. I do not wish to lose the accuracy down to .01 so it will have to be a more expensive one.

The answer is to buy the very best you can afford at the time you buy without crippling yourself financially. That will be the right scale. The one that arrives and makes you grin with glee.

I have a Radwag WTB 200 which measures down to 0.001g up to 200g
    You can get it HERE
    This is what it looks like

Specifications can be foundHERE
    Last edited by Viffer; 15th July 2014 at 12:49 PM.

Current top 10 (in no particular order)
    Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    IDOLE De Lubin Vintage EDT
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Boadicea The Victorious LEGEND
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Annick Goutal MYRRHE ARDENTE
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

Does that one have a cut out prevention switch?

yes is fully adjustable, full instruction manuals can be found HERE
    The part you are interested in can be found in section 15. Other Parameters, 15.3 Automatic switch off.
    Last edited by Viffer; 15th July 2014 at 04:02 PM.

Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

It's odd that the scale is supposed to be EU made, and the price here in the USA is less than half of the UK price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls?ie=UTF8&me=

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

I was just getting a case of severe scale envy that doesn't match the wallet. Isn't that price difference huge? Is it the very same one?

Well come to rip off Britain LOL.
    I have previously tried to save money by importing from the US. Alas, after handling charges and taxes, it can become even more expensive that buying in the UK!
    Proceed at your own risk!

Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

Found one at a reasonable price here (wish I had found that site last month when I bought it from the cotswold perfumery!

Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

About the nod-off setting - probably obvious, but make sure you use a power cord, not batteries.
    MissVanilla, have you tried googling the model and "manual" or "settings"? There might be a switch but typically it will be done by pressing a specific sequence of buttons.

I'm going to have another look at my myweigh i101. it would be funny if I found one now after all that plate prodding.... lol

I'm going to have another look at my myweigh i101. it would be funny if I found one now after all that plate prodding.... lol
    DO LET me know if you find it...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Myweigh i101 FUNCTION SETTINGS
    1. Enter function setting mode.
    The scale should be OFF. Press and hold [UNIT] first, then press and
    release [ON/OFF] (while keeping [UNIT] pressed) the display will show
    LIGHT or A_OFF arrow and the display will show 888888 Now you can
    release the UNIT key.
    2. Selection of auto backlight mode.
    Press [UNIT] to select auto backlight function, the display will show an arrow
    next to LIGHT , this means auto backlight function active, press [UNIT]
    again, the display will not show the arrow next to LIGHT, this means the auto
    backlight function is inactive, i.e. shut off backlight function.
    3. Selection of auto shut off mode.
    Press [ZERO] to select auto shut off function, the display will show an arrow
    next to A_OFF, this means auto shut off function active. Press [ZERO] again,
    the display will not show an arrow next to A_OFF, this means the auto shut
    off function is inactive.

4. Return to weighing mode.
    Press [ON/OFF] to turn the power off, press [ON/OFF] again to turn on the
    power and the scale will return to normal weighing mode.

Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by viffer View Post
    myweigh i101 function settings
    scale will return to normal weighing mode.

done! Thanks!

Pk
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

i've only just seen this..... I'm testing it now.....I will love you forever if mine does........

Flippety doo dah.... it flippin does too

image.jpg

A ROSE OF LOVE FOR YOU..........XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Last edited by mumsy; 16th July 2014 at 10:01 PM.

Thats nice of you, I love roses Thank you!
    Glad it worked for you guys/gals...Happy to be of help

Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

You have no idea how wonderful my every day is about to be now....... it is (has been) the trial and tribulation of many a brew

(serves me right for not reading the booklet)

Viffer, I'll send some Lavender Honey your way...

Lavender and Flock of bees.jpg

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

A small note on using scales adding bits over a long time: the accuracy can be affected, since weight can slowly drift. You might want to check for this effect on your scale if you take more than, I don't know, 10 min or so, to add ingredients. Try it out with calibrating weights if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Viffer, I'll send some Lavender Honey your way...

Lavender and Flock of bees.jpg

PK
    Thank you buddy!

Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP