Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which scent has the most longevity?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chanel Sycomore EDT

11 20.75%
  • Lalique Encre Noir EDT

31 58.49%
  • About the same, no difference to me

11 20.75%

Default Which has more longevity: Chanel Sycomore or Lalique Encre Noir?

As each nose is different, it's interesting to ask.

Also, please add a note on sillage if you have an opinion.

These are very similar scents and each has its own admirers.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Which has more longevity: Chanel Sycomore or Lalique Encre Noir?

Looks like I've got an experiment to do when I get home.
    Perfect timing to get my bottles out, too, with the weather turning cooler here.

Have and love both, but find neither particularly strong on longevity (nor particularly short-lived). I voted for Sycomore as it seems to last a bit longer on my skin, but Encre Noire performs well, too.

Have and love both.

EN has nuclear longevity and projection.

for swap/sale:

Encre Noire, not by much though...

Encre Noire

For me they both last a long time but EN projects a lot better. That being said Sycomore is a superior scent IMO.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

About the same, no difference to me.

On clothing, Sycomore. On skin, Encre Noir. Both are very close.

Encre Noire
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Thumbs up Re: Which has more longevity: Chanel Sycomore or Lalique Encre Noir?

encre noire
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Encre Noire lasted a cold water wash on my undershirt. It tends to radiate closer to the body when worn ( than compared to Sycomore, however).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

2 sprays applied to the inside of each bicep before bed last night (so it's by no means objective, as I would have tossed and turned, potentially rubbing off one frag sooner than another) but it seems Sycomore lasted just a little bit longer this morning.

I think about 7 for EN and about 7.5 for Sycomore, but it really is much of a muchness.

Banned

i would choose Sycomore...becasue to my nose it has little more flesh, and is overall nicer composition,has some sweetness that makes it nice unisex....
    EN smells thiner but no less strong, and after several hours of wearing becomes unpleasant for some reason....that chemistry in it chockes with dryness,i agree they are similar scents....but longevity here makes no difference to me

i think people should learn that the less is sometimes more less longevity can mean more natural stuff lol

Sycomore has excellent longevity, but so does EN. Sycomore is more lush and plush though, and has a lot of presence – I had an epiphany the first time I walked back into my own sillage.

I see no similarity in quality. Sycomore is a much better fragrance.

Encre Noire

Encre noire

I recommend you also try Les Nez Turtle Vetiver Back.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    For me they both last a long time but EN projects a lot better. That being said Sycomore is a superior scent IMO.
    totally agree!

Thank you all for the advice. I see Encre Noir is ahead by quite a bit.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thank you all for the advice. I see Encre Noir is ahead by quite a bit.
    Only on longevity though

Thank you.

To my nose, the EN is more synthetic than Sycomore.

Sorry for the bump. I seem to have longevity issues with Encre Noire. I've had it on for a little over 3 hours and can barely detect it anymore. I have one spray to the chest from about 8 inches away and one spray on each wrist from about 6 inches. Any tips, ideas or recommendations?

Edit: Meanwhile, I still catch whiffs from Nicole Miller which I applied last night...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Top 5:

- Penhaligon's Opus 1870
    - Dior Homme Intense
    - Lalique Encre Noire
    - Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée
    - Terre d'Hermès

( Chanel Allure Édition Blanche is out as weather is getting cooler)

Encre Noire contains a large proportion of Iso-E, a material which is long lasting, but which many people have problems detecting. Sometimes, one has the impression that it comes and goes. So perhaps you are slightly insensitive to this material.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Encre Noire contains a large proportion of Iso-E, a material which is long lasting, but which many people have problems detecting. Sometimes, one has the impression that it comes and goes. So perhaps you are slightly insensitive to this material.

cacio
    Meaning I don't smell it but others do? I didn't have a problem with Aventus though...

Top 5:

- Penhaligon's Opus 1870
    - Dior Homme Intense
    - Lalique Encre Noire
    - Terre d'Hermès

Yes, each of us has little sensitivity to some materials (and vicersa could be hypersensitive to others) - so perhaps your perception of Iso-E is weaker than for other people. In the case of Iso-E, this seems to be quite common. Many people say that Iso-E plays a bit peek-a-boo with them. Usually they don't smell it, but now and then they catch a whiff.

I don't know the composition of Aventus, but certainly it has much less Iso-E than Encre Noire (Aventus's base smells more leathery to me).

cacio

Can't smell it?

Either fake or damaged.

I once sprayed it in the car & it lasted for weeks on the seat belt.

I know fabric retains scent more than skin but even skin i can smell continuously.

for swap/sale:

Encre Noir

I do prefer Sycomore, although I love Encre Noir, but on performance department, the latest is clearly better. Well, at least on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Can't smell it?

Either fake or damaged.

I once sprayed it in the car & it lasted for weeks on the seat belt.

I know fabric retains scent more than skin but even skin i can smell continuously.
    I bought it from Strawberrynet... I doubt it's fake. How could it be damaged?

Top 5:

- Penhaligon's Opus 1870
    - Dior Homme Intense
    - Lalique Encre Noire
    - Terre d'Hermès