Code of Conduct

Default Are We Crazy or what?

whenever I walk in a scent shop I encounter other males very scarcely, whenever I'm on a train, subway, shopping mall I scarcely detect hints of scents..so I wonder are we scent freaks some sort of subculture of crazy people or this happens only to me?

Default Re: Are We Crazy or what?

Weird. I always smelled perfume on my many visits to Italia.

Apparently it's your town/social circle.

for swap/sale:

We are in a way scent freaks, but I've smelt good frags at work, malls subways etc in Toronto, Canada... Maybe it's too hot where u live? In such a place, I've seen that more people prefer lighter citrus based frags which are more of a skin scent type than the heavier leather / musc based frags that project more... Middle East - Saudi. / Dubai are sort of exceptions bcoz in spite of the high heat almost all thru the yr, people prefer the heavier stuff there, it helps that it's heavily air conditioned to cool the temps... Just my thought, maybe there are other better explanations as well...

maybe we are getting poorer, Rome and around Milan!

Catch wiffs of scents everday. Train, work and mostly indoor areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    whenever I walk in a scent shop I encounter other males very scarcely
    I prefer it that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I prefer it that way...
    So do I.

Not crazy! But I think we all have some degree of obsession, as I myself certainly have and I'm trying to get rid of!!!!!
    Spending so much time sampling, testing, buying perfumes and thinking about them and of course here on basenotes is not very logical! I know!
    I am a Doctor and almost everytime I see myself off I find myself here on basenotes reading about VINTAGE bottles, AVENTUSSSSSSS, Creed BATCH numbers, Pure Malt discontinuation, Gucci PH 2003, Gucci Envy, Intense Sport Homme Extreme Pure Niche Ebay Limited Edition and so so so!!!!!
    I think I myself have lost that extreme pleasure and euphoria when I had just 4 colognes overall and simply weared 5 sprays of Azzaro Chrome or Fahrenheit or 4 sprays of Hugo by Hugo Boss around 10-12 years ago!
    As I learn more and more about fragrances I can not enjoy the beauties lying behind more simple, cheap and traditional scents! But still I love Eternity by CK, as this is NOSTALGIC to me.
    All in all now I think that our perfumes live our life with us and accompany in good and bad days to remain in our memories, we shouldn't do vice versa!!!!!
    So complex and philosophic words I told!!!!!!
    Last edited by nfn1983; 16th April 2013 at 03:50 PM.
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

I can smell scents on people daily here, they may only have one or two perfumes though, so it doesn't mean that Basenoters are normal.

I spoke to a female friend, trying to get her to sniff some perfumes in a shop, she said she already gets mocked by her friends for having too many perfumes so she's not buying more. I thought I had found a fellow addict and enquired about how many she owned. I can't remember the exact number but she had around 8 or so.

As long as you respect people's personal space, what's the problem again?
    However, yes, we are scent freaks.
    Whatever you do that is out of the norm, it's usually rejected.
    I simply don't care what others think about it, specially if they do drugs (including smoking... ), own guns, tan in saloons, and other really foolish stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    she said she already gets mocked by her friends for having too many perfumes
    I always get mad with such 'crowd comments', specially from 'friends'.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Of course, we're crazy about fragrances. This is not 'normal' in any kind of way. But it's cool. We have a genuine eccentricity which we enjoy...and we smell damn good.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Yes, we are scent freak.

By the way, I have smell scents all the time: in the office, train, mall, wedding party, etc. Many young men here wear perfume, but I hardly detacted any scent from the old one. Actually, only a couple of people in my office are scentless.

Scent enthusiastic men like us are consider not 'normal' by the society, especially if you own more than 10 bottles like most of us do (I have around 80 scents: decants&bottles, if was 8 before I found Basenotes). Excessive obsession to something is always considered not normal.

But if buying those scents does not make your bank account goes red & you are not walking cloud of scent that people can smell from far...far... away like 10 metres, you did not harm yourself and other.

I just returned from Italy; Roma, Pisa, Firenze, and Venizia, I got smell of perfumes from many local there.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

No idea, for instance where I live now, the situation is almost the same in the majority of public places, except the very directly fragrance-related ones (fragrance and/or other stores, malls, drugstores etc.). But then again, I was never particularly good at detecting, not even generously, abundantly applied fragrances on other people, maybe with the exceptions of the very popular, instantly recognizable scents.

Well, here in the north of England most men would never admit to liking to smell of anything other than clean soap and water, and when they do admit that they have a cologne or scent most of them can't remember what it is, but they can tell you that it's in a dark green bottle with a gold cap on (or similar) and that it smells 'nice enough'.

Most of my friends who know I collect scents love having a meander through the perfumes and I always know who is taking an interest because they're the ones who take 20 minutes over a toilet break and come back with a sheepish grin and smelling rather fabulous. Occasionally one of the people who do this is a man, but only very occasionally.

But why not be individual? If we were all the same then life would be rather boring. Yes, scent collectors are probably just a little bit obsessed, but no more than those who collect bus tickets or stamps or whatever else. We just smell more interesting than they do
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    whenever I walk in a scent shop I encounter other males very scarcely, whenever I'm on a train, subway, shopping mall I scarcely detect hints of scents..so I wonder are we scent freaks some sort of subculture of crazy people or this happens only to me?
    This a really good point. I am constantly surprised about the male knowledge of different perfumes on Basenotes. You'd think that Les Senteurs would be full of men practically all of the time. Maybe they are all behind their laptops ordering samples furtively?

I smell them all of the time, mostly at work. There is a pub I frequent and the bartender gal always greets me by smelling my wrist or neck to see what I am wearing. We talk frags all of the time. The guys I hang around all wear frags in the midwest and we often swap scents back and forth. I am sure some people think we are crazy, but I really don't care...I wear them for myself but I try to choose scents most people will like as well. As you can probably tell from my wardrobe that I have some of the basenotes favorites and overall safe scents.

I don't have a single person who wears fragrances at work ( I work in a clinic) . I think people prefer not to wear fragrances at work , however a lot of patients come wearing fragrances, especially females . I do get compliments , but usually when I am wearing citrusy , or floral ones

Banned
    Blog Entries

I've long crossed the line of crazy well before I bought my first bottle.

And I'm not turning back.