Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Smile Mini sample pass, JM Osmanthus Blossom, USA only

The pass is now closed to new members.

Nordstrom now has the new limited edition Jo Malone Osmanthus Blossom.
    I think this one will be popular.

The SA decanted two samples for me yesterday into atomizers, each containing about 1.5 to 2mls.
    Since they are sprays, let's just have only 4 members sampling this time, 2 members per group.

To join this group you must:
    • live in the USA
    • have made at least 25 posts
    • be willing to post your impressions (nothing fancy required, we're not critiquing you!)
    • be willing to mail the sample to the 2nd member of the group. Postage for a bubble mailer is $2.07.
    • 2nd member of the group keeps the sample.

Group 1
    :
    1. elizrj -- received
    2. Schilling

Group 2:
    1. juanderer-- received
    2. Twolf

Just post if you want to join and I'll update the thread later with names. I have to go out to take Mom to the Dr. and will check back in this afternoon. I'll need names and mailing addresses for the first two people who post; the second two members to post will need to PM their addresses to the first two.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 30th April 2013 at 05:33 AM.

Default Re: Mini sample pass, JM Osmanthus Blossom, USA only

Either you've got the magic touch or SA's out East are a different breed of generous. I'm so impressed in your ability to come home with so many goodies for us all to share.

I'd be interested in trying another JM--a line that can frustrate with it's rapid disappearing act. That said, I own two bottles of Wild Fig & Cassis because I love that moist earthy fig, even if I have to reapply 20 sprays every two hours.

That said, since I just participated in Peoneve, please only use me as a back-up to fill in an empty space.

Thank you.

I also feel that I have been included into too many passes, and would like to be included in this one as a backup. We gotta support new(er) people with interest, somehow. Thank you very much again for every pass you have started.

I would love to try this 30R!! I am in love with Mona di Orio's Oud, and I'm desperately hoping the main reason is the Osmanthus. I would sure love to fall in love with a less expensive scent!

Basenotes Plus

Sign me up, please! I'll force (more like beg) the partner to share her impressions on it (she loves JM fragrances) and post them here along with mine.

Blog Entries

I like to do it "first come, first served" and it doesn't bother me at all that some of you have participated in my other passes-- besides, only the 4 of you have posted your interest after all these hours-- so I've assigned you slots and will mail out when I receive samples of Wild Fig & Cassis and Blackberry & Bay from Schilling, who has kindly offered them to be included in the pass.

Hubby offered me a bottle of Osmanthus Blossom for Mother's Day but I am not sure. I do like it, but am not sure I want a bottle-- not sure I would wear it enough.

Thank you 30R!! What do you think of the Osmanthus? I am not good at notes, and I'm having trouble picking them out. But I love the Mona di Orio Oud with Osmanthus, and am not a fan of some of the other Ouds I'm sampling.

Frangantica says:
    Osmanthus blossoms, though not as popular in the West as some other flowers more commonly found, have the olfactory beauty of an intricate dentelle of fruity-leathery smells evoking plums, apricots and prunes hidden in the suede pouch upon a warrior-poet’s belt, as if taken out of a Chinese vignette. It's hard not to be enraptured by their at once complex and delicate scent once you experience it and they lend their delightful and refined aroma in many a perfume composition.

I am really hoping that's the note I'm loving in the Oud. I'm so curious to try this. Thanks for the pass!!

Blog Entries

I try not to inject too many of my own impressions early on in sample passes as I like to hear what you all think and prefer not to influence you!

The folks at our Jo Malone counter at Nordstrom really "get it"-- they are sympathetic to our interest in exploring the fragrances, and they know I don't sell the samples on eBay. And for my part, and Malone I buy, I buy at that counter.

Wonderful! Just in time for the season that suits Jo Malone best. Time to switch gears and wean myself off of Borneo 1834 and other delicious spicebombs...including Spicebomb.

I should be able to get to the post office tomorrow. Thanks 30Roses.

Not really interested in two others, 30R., I have tried them both several times. If possible, in Group 2, send to juanderer first and let him keep these two add-ons and I will be the second one to try Osmanthus.

Blog Entries

Will do, rearranging group 2.

Blog Entries

I've received the samples from Schilling and will mail out both group's packages tomorrow, 4/25.

- - - Updated - - -

Mailed!

- - - Updated - - -

I got another decanted sample of Osmathus Blossom (at Saks this time) so if either of the samples I sent out evaporates en route and tester #2 in either group doesn't have enough juice left, let me know.

I received the package today, and like the amazing Basenoter she is, it has some lovely additions Thank you so very much 30Roses! I can wait to try this tonight, and I'll post my impressions.

Blog Entries

Everything except for the Osmanthus Blossom was contributed by Schilling!

Oh Gosh! Well Schilling, I'm sorry I attributed your sweet gesture to 30Roses!! Thank you, thank you!! I'll make sure to let you know my thoughts on all in the package, and I'm so excited to try them!

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    Oh Gosh! Well Schilling, I'm sorry I attributed your sweet gesture to 30Roses!! Thank you, thank you!! I'll make sure to let you know my thoughts on all in the package, and I'm so excited to try them!
    Oh my gosh, funny. No problem. I just figured it's the season to dust them off and see whether they inspire anyone to visit the JM counter.

In regards to Sweet Milk, the idea was to layer it with the tea fragrances in the rest of her Tea Collection, as if you were drinking it. http://www.thebeautylookbook.com shows some hints. It's a bit of an oddball to wear alone because it's pretty darn realistic, but it can certainly be done. Just expect the neighborhood cats to follow you around.

Basenotes Plus

Just to report that I received my group's pack today as well. I shall sample tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Great, I look forward to reading reviews!

Basenotes Plus

Ok, here's my account of the events.

This is a very simple composition that starts with the fresh white floweriness of petitgrain. This is by no means sweet or loud but the first impression is almost edgy before softening up nicely within the next few minutes.
    As it goes into the heart notes, I appreciate the tea-like character in the fragrance- there was some of that in the beginning, but the aroma becomes more apparent a couple of hours in. At five hours of wearing it, I get a nice citrusy apricot vibe but- again- it's not quite sweet. There was some woodiness an hour or two ago, but it's imperceptible now- save for a slight greenness.

I'm enjoying this one a lot. It is not exactly my style, but I would definitely recommend it for warmer weather during the daytime.

Ok, so you know me, it takes a bit to "get" a scent. I'm still not sure I get this one, but here are my thoughts.

Yesterday I sprayed on my chest, how I usually wear my perfume. I wanted a feel for what I thought of it as it unfolded on me. Today I sprayed it on my wrist so I could bury my nose in it as it unfolds.

Overall it reminds me of a rainy day. Not the thunder and lightning type, but a soft, misty spring rain with the sun just starting to peek out. It's all misty sage green and bright white flowers. But up close, it's slightly different. Both days I got the sharp opening. I don't know if it's sharp or just really really fresh, and since I'm not great with notes, I think that's the pettigrain. Then it kind of calms into that soft rainy feeling, backed up with those white florals. Up close, I can pick out some of the citrus and a hint of the peach. It faded kind of quickly for me. About 6 hours in, I could barely pick it out. I guess that's like Spring too, it's fleeting and gone before you can get tired of it.

I think this is kind of perfect for a spring perfume. I'd put it right up there with Diorissimo in how it comes across to me as a bright spring floral.

I'm going to layer some of the Blackberry and Bay over it later.

Blog Entries

Can anyone compare this one to The Different Company one?

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I just had to tell you all... yesterday I was training a gal on our staff, and she was sitting very near me and asked about the scent. I had it on the back of my wrist so I let her smell it up close. Wow, she LOVED it. She currently wears EL Beautiful and has never heard of the realm of niche perfume. Our area just doesn't have anything other than mainstream.

My experience with Osmanthus Blossom is night and day different from my experience with the Sweet Milk sample that tagged along. When I sniffed the Osmanthus Blossom on my wrist it was all a cheerful cheerleader hello, done in the "Give me an H" style. The Sweet Milk wraps a whispered fog of creamy letters around me as it whispers Hello and I cannot pick out one letter from the next.

I have it on my wrist and also my neck. When I try and smell it up close, it seems ethereal. I can smell it, but it's not all there. It's movement is out of the corner of my eye. I can't see it directly, but when you let your eyes unfocus, it's there. I keep thinking I need to put more on, because I can't smell it distinctly, but then I'll realize I am smelling it all around me. Maybe because it blends with the scent of your skin, and it smells like you, only a sweeter you. Or perhaps I'm just anosmatic to a particular note in it. All I know is I'm getting a light head from huffing my wrist
    Last edited by elizrj; 2nd May 2013 at 02:04 PM.

Elizrj, I love your descriptions ("one letter from the next" and "out of the corner of my eye"). Altogether I am getting an idea Osmanthus Blossom is a huge success!

Thank you so much Twolf! I know you didn't want to speak too soon on the Osmanthus Blossom, but I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions. I'd also love to hear your thoughts on the Sweet Milk, since that seems so very strange to me... insubstantial while at the same time clearly present. I'm curious as to whether my nose is missing something since other's have easily described the notes in it. I mean, I know I'm bad with notes, but this one defies me to describe them other than sweet... and that does not at all capture the scent.

Sorry, i didn't mean to hijack the thread with thoughts on a different fragrance!!

Ohh, I have not tried Osmanthus Blossom yet, possibly next week. If my senses are back. I have PMed my address though.

Sweet Milk was quite pleasant, milky (chalky?) and musky, with no longevity or projection to consider. One of my friends used to say "Pretty in a way only a mother would think".

Juanderer and Elizrj thanks so much for your write-ups. I'm really looking forward to this cheery floral as the mercury has almost hit summertime temps here in Chicago. I'll be on the lookout for that cheerleader poking her head up to say hello.

Elizrj, I'll need to get my Sweet Milk out again, but I recall a certain oilyness, like a super-rich sweetened, condensed milk with the smallest hint of anis that doesn't extend into licorice territory. I wish I had the Earl Grey or Cucumber scents to pair it with, as it was intended. Until then, I'll keep breaking it out when I want to smell like flan or a white russian, which isn't often. "Pretty in a way only a mother would think."---Perfect!

30Rose'sPeoneuve would be a fine scent to wear this week puttering in the garden. I need to attract some bees for some sexy-time pollination.

Thanks for the input on the Sweet Milk. I didn't realize it was so hard to find. I do like the milkiness of it, so now I'm wondering about similar scents. We'll have to pow-wow on that one.

I'm finishing the sample set today, wearing Blackberry and Bay. When I first spritzed this, wow, all masculine. Now the blackberry is coming thru and it's starting to be a little more unisex. So far it's not one I'd buy a FB of, but it's definitely outside my normal territory so it's fun to try. I'll update my post after a full wearing!

Schilling, I'll be mailing these off to you today or tomorrow. I think I may have a few more Jo Malone samples stashed away at home, so I'll send you a PM with what I have and we can work out what you'd like to try.

Blog Entries

I used to own Sweet Milk; of the Tea Collection it was the only one that grabbed me-- maybe because it was so different from what I usually wear. Caramelized milk with anise, is basically what I got; it was very much a seasonal scent for me (winter). I found it very cozy rather than oily.
    However, as time went on the musk in the base began to get to me, so I sold off my 2 bottles.

Blackberry & Bay is quite pleasant and I was on the fence about buying a bottle for a long time but finally realized that it overlapped too much with YSL In Love Again and Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau in my wardrobe.

Samples are sent off to Schilling, whew, done before I leave!!

I really enjoyed this pass. I am considering some Osmanthus Blossom, just because I have nothing that green in my collection. I think as green as I go is some Chanel #22, and I wouldn't necessarily classify that as green, and it's just a decant.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your impressions.

30Roses, thank you for putting the pass together, and for allowing me to ramble about the other scents from the line

Juan told me yesterday his pack is on the way to me too. Can hardly wait!

Hello All,

I've received my sample, along with several other generous and seasonally appropriate goodies from Elizrj. Many thanks to her and to 30Roses.

Anybody like the Wild Fig and Cassis? I like fragrances with a loud, wet, earthy component, but I understand that's not a universal preference. Which segues into the fact that I'm currently still covered in garden dirt (and old sun block), so I'll have to begin my sniffing tomorrow with a clean head.

Picked up my package from the PO. Sniffed out of the vial and it is NOT at all what I was expecting. Will give this fragrance a full day of wear tomorrow, OK?