Code of Conduct

Default One Million without the leather note

First of all, we here in Sweden are devastated for what happened in Boston yesterday. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families affected by the recent bombings in Boston!

Now - back to fragrances!

One Million is one hell of a fragrance. It's sweet, youthful, longlasting and projects like nothing else. There are a lot love for One Million, as well as hate. I happen to be in the middle. Why? Because of the leather note in it!

I hate leather, and once the leather in One Million kicks in I simply can't stand it.
    That's why I'm wondering... are there other fragrances that smells like One Million without leather? Let me know!

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: One Million without the leather note

It does not smell that much like 1 Million, however, if you want a good sleeper scent...that smells very nice and unique, give Ferragamo Black a sniff. It is quite nice and a major surprise to me when I smelt it the other day at Perfumania.

Lavender

Middle Notes
    Black Pepper, Coriander

Base Notes
    Labdanum, Tonka

Quote Originally Posted by silvermountainhigh View Post
    It does not smell that much like 1 Million, however, if you want a good sleeper scent...that smells very nice and unique, give Ferragamo Black a sniff. It is quite nice and a major surprise to me when I smelt it the other day at Perfumania.

Lavender

Middle Notes
    Black Pepper, Coriander

Base Notes
    Labdanum, Tonka
    I will give it a try if I see it, but I wont look much in to it since it doesn't smell much like One Million, which doesn't help me at all. Thanks anyway

XXL Live by Daniel Hechter

I don't get a leather note in 1 Million.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    This!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Basenotes Junkie

not sure if they have the same notes as the original, (I've never smelled them), but have you tried either of the two flankers 1 MILLION GOLD ABSOLUTELY or 1 MILLION INTENSE? Maybe one of them would work. Dunno, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    not sure if they have the same notes as the original, (I've never smelled them), but have you tried either of the two flankers 1 MILLION GOLD ABSOLUTELY or 1 MILLION INTENSE? Maybe one of them would work. Dunno, just a thought.
    All of them have a distinct leather smell, more or less.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26132588.html is very similar to one million.. Although granted I dont recall the leather note when I wear one million anyway. But for what its worth the little that I do wear both of these I cant even tell the difference off hand other than VIP doesnt have that mettalic sorta vibe, and its not as strong. But its the most similar thing I can think of that I have myself.

Basenotes Plus

You're going to have a hard time finding a fragrance similar to One Million without the leather note but try Halloween Man by J del Pozo. The leather note is much harder to detect.

Herrera VIP 212 - get it !

Btw I don't get any leather in 1 million what so ever, wish it had leather, as I love leather in fragrances.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Gaultier2 has some similarities to 1 Million, notably elements of the vanilla bubblegum amber drydown, but no leather.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

You definitely need Ted Lapidus Black Soul. I also love 1 Million (but like you, that leather in the middle is my least favorite part). That's why I love Black Soul even more. It's spicier/fresher than 1 Million and has a woodier drydown instead of leather. It has cinnamon/mint/saffron/orange blossom up top, with a great resinous, smoky middle of raisin, dates and tolu balsam. Then it dries down to a spicy sweet dry cedar note. It definitely has that 1 Million vibe, but out of all the similar fragrances like 1 Million, 212 VIP, Cuba Royal, etc., this is the one that hits the perfect mark for me. My only complaint at all would be that longevity is not as great as 1 Million, but it can be had cheaply (about $25-30). I can't recommend this one any more highly. Definitely a great blind buy in my book.

Also, as I mentioned above, Cuba Royal is worth a look for it's ridiculously low price. You can get the small 30ml "cigar" bottle for about $5 online. It's notes are listed as vanilla, sweet tobacco and cedar, but it's very much a copy of 1 Million. I get a slight leather vibe from it, but not nearly as much as in 1 Million. Basically, Cuba Royal smells a lot like 1 Million's top notes with a sweet vanilla tobacco note added, and it really just stays linear & fades away. Not as good as Black Soul, but for the price, it's not bad.
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 17th April 2013 at 01:40 AM.

What's the difference between 212 VIP and One Million in terms of smell?

I never knew there was any leather in One Million. For me, it is drowned out by the candy sweetness.

You must have a good nose.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I never knew there was any leather in One Million. For me, it is drowned out by the candy sweetness.

You must have a good nose.
    Yeah, the leather is kind of buried under the candy sweetness, but it's deff noticeable!

Apart from that supposed leather note, do try Cerruti 1881 Black, Azzaro Pour Homme Night Time and Davidoff The Game which pleasantly surprised me.

Leather in 1 Million? That's about the last note I can detect when smelling it.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Ted Lapidus Black Soul is a better version of 1 Million. Best part is that it doesn't smell like 1 Million, but still can please people that enjoy 1 Million. Black Soul has an accord that smells like chocolate chip mint ice cream which makes it more gourmandish than 1 Million.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Leather in 1 Million? That's about the last note I can detect when smelling it.
    That's about what I was thinking.

However, I find this has a similar vibe to 1 Million:

Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Amyris Homme

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    You're going to have a hard time finding a fragrance similar to One Million without the leather note but try Halloween Man by J del Pozo. The leather note is much harder to detect.
    +1 and Ill add to this, Try and sniff Ermenegildo Zegna's Zegna Forte. It has no leather note that I'm aware of.
    Live Aloha! Live Da HIlife!

Me either.

Joop Homme Wild perhaps?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I want to thank every one of you who gave me the recommendations. I went ahead and blind bought 212 VIP. I got a 100ml for 32$, what a good deal!

I'm glad to tell you guys that it actually does smell like One Million without the leather! The projection and longevity is awesome too. Not as strong as One Million, but close to it.

The cinnamon in One Million is noticeable, but not in VIP. That's the only difference to me.

Is there leather in One Million?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Is there leather in One Million?
    Yes, there is. I'm surprised that so many of you don't notice the leather in OM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    Yes, there is. I'm surprised that so many of you don't notice the leather in OM
    Edit; It's not the typical leather smell. Candied leather is what I'm thinking of every time I smell OM (starting from the mid)

Basenotes Member

Bois 1920 Sushi Imperial might interest you.

To me, it's candies + cinnamon with subtle hints of booziness.

Reminds me of a German mulled wine candy I had last Christmas, but a bit more sugary.

Also very long lasting. I have a very dry skin, most fragrances do not last. But this one, I sprayed some the night before, and still had it the next morning. Very faint now though, just a vanilla skin scent.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDays View Post
    Bois 1920 Sushi Imperial might interest you.

To me, it's candies + cinnamon with subtle hints of booziness.

Reminds me of a German mulled wine candy I had last Christmas, but a bit more sugary.

Also very long lasting. I have a very dry skin, most fragrances do not last. But this one, I sprayed some the night before, and still had it the next morning. Very faint now though, just a vanilla skin scent.
    Does it smells mature to you? Some people say it smells cologne-y

me neither. there is s sharpness. though. i dont wear it much but i will keep a nose out next time i wear it for that leather.

Yes, there is.
    Edit; It's not the typical leather smell. Candied leather is what I'm thinking of every time I smell OM (starting from the mid)
    Candied leather? Is that anything like candied bacon? O_o

YSL La Nuit De L'Homme, to my nose it has the similar smell of 1 million before the musk kicks in. Most people don't think so, but I say give it a sniff.

Basenotes Member

Does it smells mature to you? Some people say it smells cologne-y
    Not at all. It smells quite classy. But not too much to be a formal scent. It definitely has quality on it.

Maybe to some people: well blended/refined = mature?

Not at all. It smells quite classy. But not too much to be a formal scent. It definitely has quality on it.

Maybe to some people: well blended/refined = mature?
    Would you say that a 17 year old boy could wear it?

Basenotes Member

Would you say that a 17 year old boy could wear it?
    Maybe. It has an air of sophistication around it, nothing over the top though.

I think it's somewhere between casual jeans and shirt & formal suit and tie.

Maybe. It has an air of sophistication around it, nothing over the top though.

I think it's somewhere between casual jeans and shirt & formal suit and tie.
    Well, I just ordered a sample. I hope to get it this week