Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What scents do you trust in extreme circumstances?

Miss Balmain perfume, the vintage version
    It IS extreme. GUTS IN A BOTTLE, really. I don't know, I just feel kind of tough wearing it. It cuts to the chase, like a liquid switchblade. It must be all the leather and tobacco, but not too much tobacco.

A: Sublime by Jean Patou. No woman could ever feel less than elegant in this.

B: Boudoir. Always a conversation starter.

C: Fracas. This one keeps me entertained and by over-applying, its acts as a shield to repel others so you can be left alone to take advantage of the open bar.

D: Chanel No.5. They're meeting a lady and one should smell as such.

E: Fracas. The only thing bigger than the Queen herself.

a) Chanel Cuir de Russie. Classic, but not overwhelming.

b) Bal d'Afrique. Happy, noticeable, not overpowering, and will not offend.

c) L'Artisan's Safran Troublant. It's mild and comfortable.

d) Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere, so they will think I am a lady.

e) Vintage Jolie Madame. I wouldn't QUITE have the gusto to wear Fracas, but I love L'eaulita for it.
    http://www.scentsate.com/

Basenotes Plus

How fun, mumsy! Hmmm...comfort my nerves, but be appropriate...

a) Coromandel
    b) Ambre Narguile
    c) Lyric
    d) L'Eau d'Hiver
    e) Coromandel (can't ever lose with this one)

a) Dressy evening: Chanel No. 19 extrait. Not so much to feel comfortable in my own skin, as to change that skin to have teeth and claws, so that I feel beautiful but formidable.
    b) Casual evening: Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale in winter or Lostmarch Din Dan in summer. Happy and affable, but they also feel powerful.
    c) Formal and boring: Parfumerie Generale Tubereuse Couture. I want to feel beautiful, but I don't need tooth or claw.
    d) Parents: Chanel No. 19 extrait, for the same reason as above.
    e) Queen: And again, Chanel No. 19 extrait.

I often wonder (1) why I own any perfume other than No. 19 and (2) why I don't wear it more often.

This is fun

a) Rue Cambon Chanel - power and elegance. I love it!
    b) Black Vetyver Cafe Jo Malone - my idea of casual.
    c) Bal a Versailles - at least I am going to have some fun with this raging animal
    d) N5 eau premiere - tried and true
    e) Miss Dior extrait - the old version is the best
    Currently wearing: Fidji by Guy Laroche

Blog Entries

Picking only from my wardrobe;

a) Fracas, because it makes me feel supremely confident & elegant.
    b) Chergui, because it's cuddly & friendly.
    c) Habanita, because for me it's comforting, interesting & a form of armour all at the same time.
    d) Allure, because it's Mr teardrop's favourite, & if he is at ease, then so am l.
    e) Stella, for that English Rose vibe, & because it's not too overpowering.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

For me:

a), c) and e): Armani Eau pour Homme, Blenheim Bouquet or Boucheron pour Homme EDP

b) Keep it simple with something like Kenzo pour Homme, Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte, YSL Live Jazz or Mugler Colgne, allowing me to feel casual and relaxed while meeting new people

d) Even more inoffensive than b), so I'd say Bleu de Chanel or something along these lines, however, if I have clear and verified information (not just from the OH, but from additional mutual acquaintances) that the future parents-in-law are intellectual, artsy, bonvivant, connoisseur, fashion-conscious etc. people, something with slightly vintage, slightly extravagant or slightly opulent chic, like Guerlain Habit Rouge or almost any other Guerlain for that matter, Caron pour un Homme, Hermes Rocabar, Creed BDP could become my SOTD
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    I often wonder (1) why I own any perfume other than No. 19 and (2) why I don't wear it more often.
    Same here

1. Ubar - gorgeous, formal.
    2. White Aoud - pretty, interesting
    3. Shalimar - for comfort and strength to get to that drink afterwards
    4. 28, La Pausa - quiet, but not without character
    5. 2000 et Une Rose (original issue) - pretty, light, yet no less royal.

a) You were a bit apprehensive about a huge and quite dressy evening ahead. There are people there you don't know well and you want to make a good impression but not show off. It would be a very dressy occasion with suits and gowns. You need to really feel comfortable in your own skin.
    Quelques Fleurs

b) You were a bit apprehensive about a casual evening. It is in a pub or the equivalent and there are people there you quite like but don't know and would like to know them better.
    Mimosa pour Moi

c) You are being put to task because you have to go somewhere a bit formal and really boring and you really don't want to go. You have to be on best behaviour to please someone you are fond of but it is going to be a three hour minimum ordeal that will need a stiff drink afterwards to recover from. Evening and terribly dull.
    Lauren

d) Meeting OH's parents for the first time.
    Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere

e) Meeting the Queen or suchlike
    Verte Violette

For me, it's PdE Cuir Ottoman.

It's not too floral, and it projects just enough to be noticed.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fun and useful thread idea. I'm only beginning to learn occasion appropriateness having mostly delighted in perfume's transgressive side.

a) Vol de Nuit -- much obliged to share in its formal perfection.

b) CDG 2 for spring-summer-fall or Shalimar EDC for winter -- most often worn scents and others seem to really like them. The first expresses my personality well while the latter is more of a security blanket.

c) vintage Rochas Femme -- haughtily, slightly defiantly formal for the duller occasion.

d) Ombre Rose -- innocence, complexity, a bit sheer and understated so as to honor the people who spawned my beloved.

e) vintage Caron N'Aimez Que Moi -- the Queen is pretty eccentric.

a) Chanel no. 22, always beautiful, always elegant
    b) Anima Dulcis, because it would create my own little comfort zone
    c) either No. 19, for "liquid armour" or I'd go the complete opposite and unashamedly wear Shalimar for sheer beauty factor
    d) same as c
    e) Chanel no. 22, I'm with you, mumsy!

as a footnote, I just asked hubby what perfume he'd wear to meet the Queen, which is a joke since he only ever wears Third Man by Caron...
    he just ignored me. when I pressed him, he said, " well there is just so much to consider, ... do you mean the Queen of England, or the rock group Queen..., ?
    you gotta love our basenotes' spouses
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache