Code of Conduct

Default Rive Gauche bottle

Hi, I'm new to the whole fragrance thing and I must say it's addicting! I just received a bottle of Rive Gauche, and I was surprised by the bottle I got, since it is completely different than any images I've seen on the net. It's similar to M7 Oud I think. I am linking the pictures for your inspection. Did I get a fake? It was a blind buy so I cannot say.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...417_190628.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...417_190634.jpg

Default Re: Rive Gauche bottle

You have what is said to be the newer reformulated version. The tin can version is the one that everyone raves about.

that's crap. surely it smells the same?

Hope so. What do you get out of the one that you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by otis View Post

It's the new type of bottle they're putting some of their scents in. Quite a stylish bottle IMO.
    Word has it the older tin cans are still easy to get.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Quote Originally Posted by otis View Post
    I have read that there are differences between the two. I own and have only smelled the tin can version, which is amazing.

I personally have never smelled any difference between the two varieties.

it smells really good, no complaints there. maybe longevity is not as good as I read here on the forums, but it may just be my body. love the smell though. problem is I cannot go to a brick and mortar store here in my country to compare them, since they don't hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    I have read that there are differences between the two. I own and have only smelled the tin can version, which is amazing.
    I was surprised how good the new one was.
    For a few minutes I thought, well all the comments were right, they've ruined it. Then the classic Rive Gauche notes started to build and all was well. It could have been my imagination but it maybe seemed a touch creamier in the new version..

New bottles - same juice imo. Bit of a con - 80ml bottle, so costs more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    New bottles - same juice imo. Bit of a con - 80ml bottle, so costs more.
    Yes, poor value compared to the big dirt cheap can but superb value compared to something like a Creed offering.

What is a reliable source to obtain Rive Gauche from these days? Not currently available directly from, shipped from Amazon?

That bottle is so sexy. I have the tin version. Container-wise, that bottle walks all over my tin.

Never thought too much of RG until today when I wore it. Wow.

I keep doing that. I return to something I didn't partriculary like before and BAM - instant love affair.

Anyway, I am loving that bottle you have. I hope you enjoy your RG as much as I did today.

The tin can is more potent, it has much more oakmoss, hence leaves a longer scent trail. For any lover of Fougere fragrances, Rive Gauche is a great buy. The new 80 ml bottled version is good, but honestly your better of purchasing the tin can as it is still readily available and much cheaper and much more powerful. I bought my 120 ml bottle for 30 bucks at Harry Hines, a year back.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    The tin can is more potent, it has much more oakmoss, hence leaves a longer scent trail. For any lover of Fougere fragrances, Rive Gauche is a great buy. The new 80 ml bottled version is good, but honestly your better of purchasing the tin can as it is still readily available and much cheaper and much more powerful. I bought my 120 ml bottle for 30 bucks at Harry Hines, a year back.
    I picked up my tin at WalMart a couple of months ago for $25. I'm so glad I saw today what so many others see in it. My first 3 or 4 wearings were completely uneventful. Safe. Dare I say boring. Today I sensed character. Lots of it. And oh my God has it evolved. It is now 14 hours since I put 3 blasts on my chest and it is just coming alive. Incredible. This may now be my main work scent.

I haven't given mine a thorough field experience, just wearing it at home til now. Today I'm going out with it, hope it works out well. I noticed that it does not last that long. How much do you guys apply?

I have the tin can version and get at least twelve hours from two sprays so it's quite potent. Though because of new restrictions in ingredients they can use reports have been that the reformulated bottle version you have does not last as long.

Where are you guys buying the "tin can" version in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Where are you guys buying the "tin can" version in the UK?
    I got mine from cheap smells a few years ago and at the time it was quite cheap under £30. Though checking the site today I'm surprised to see it at full price of nearly £50 and for only 80ml and not 125ml which is what I have in the tin can version. So I suspect even though they show a photo of the tin can version that in actual fact they are most likely selling the reformulated bottle version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I got mine from cheap smells a few years ago and at the time it was quite cheap under £30. Though checking the site today I'm surprised to see it at full price of nearly £50 and for only 80ml and not 125ml which is what I have in the tin can version. So I suspect even though they show a photo of the tin can version that in actual fact they are most likely selling the reformulated bottle version.
    Thanks, Jack. I had a look at their site last week and thought I saw it there in the tin can version, but it turned out that it was the feminine version that I saw.

Took another look just now and you're right. It's the 80ml version and it specifically mentions that it is part of their La Collection Heritage range, so the new bottle for sure.

Oh well, there goes another one...

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I was surprised how good the new one was.
    For a few minutes I thought, well all the comments were right, they've ruined it. Then the classic Rive Gauche notes started to build and all was well. It could have been my imagination but it maybe seemed a touch creamier in the new version..
    Well that's great that it pretty much smells the same as the tin can version. You don't seem to be the only one to share this sentiment. It seems as though the differences come from the potency between the two. The tin can version is quite amazing imo. I never thought that I would enjoy this barber shop fragrance until I saw it in a perfume gallery and sampled it. Stuff lasted for hours on my skin with one single light spray. Great classic fragrance imo, glad I own it.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Thanks, Jack. I had a look at their site last week and thought I saw it there in the tin can version, but it turned out that it was the feminine version that I saw.

Took another look just now and you're right. It's the 80ml version and it specifically mentions that it is part of their La Collection Heritage range, so the new bottle for sure.

Oh well, there goes another one...
    http://www.perfume-click.co.uk/Yves-...l-Spray-s5778/

I found this website which I have ordered from in the past and they were ok no problems. They have a bottle of Rive Gauche 50ml for £23.80 which is a bargain and most likely to be the better tin can version. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    http://www.perfume-click.co.uk/Yves-...l-Spray-s5778/

I found this website which I have ordered from in the past and they were ok no problems. They have a bottle of Rive Gauche 50ml for £23.80 which is a bargain and most likely to be the better tin can version. Check it out.
    Thanks, Jack! Appreciate that.