Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Heeley Sel Marin is probably one of the worst aquatics out there

Just tried some on my skin today.

I feel like I was dipped in and out of a dirty harbor and get whiffs of dead fish on me.
    Also smells like an aquarium that has never been cleaned.

I cant stand this thing on me..

Anyone else share the same thoughts?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Heeley Sel Marin is probably one of the worst aquatics out there

Sorry, but do not share your thoughts. To me, this is one of the best Marine scents out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Sorry, but do not share your thoughts. To me, this is one of the best Marine scents out there.
    +1 Great scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    +1 Great scent.
    +2 .

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LoPsOrange View Post
    +2 .
    +3.

Probably my favourite aquatic. Highly recommended.

I've yet to try it, but it's on my list. I may have to move it up....lol.

Banned
    Blog Entries

sel marin looks like the new hype object for the month

Basenotes Plus

Different strokes. Sel Marin puts the image of the sea immediately in my mind when I smell it- seaweeds and all- so I can see why some would dislike it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    +1 Great scent.
    +4 I would not consider this an aquatic but more of a marine scent.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I consider Sel Marin one of my better finds since I have been in this hobby of fragrance collecting. I really enjoy wearing it.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

This one recently surpassed Millesime Imperiale as my favorite aquatic and I just bought a bottle.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

One of my favorites.

It's a terrific scent. It's on my want list.

+25...very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    ...I feel like I was dipped in and out of a dirty harbor and get whiffs of dead fish on me.
    Also smells like an aquarium that has never been cleaned....
    That actually sounds amazing. Then again, I come from a seaside city and I have fond memories of playing around the docks and spending days on the beaches. Now I have to try it!

Banned

Im sorry guys. I m trying so hard to like it. But this is the immage I get in my head everytime I smell it

Just tried some on my skin today.

I feel like I was dipped in and out of a dirty harbor and get whiffs of dead fish on me.
    Also smells like an aquarium that has never been cleaned.

I cant stand this thing on me..

Anyone else share the same thoughts?

I feel the opposite. Initially, my major concern with Sel Marin was that it would include those unpleasant marine elements (dead fish, rotting vegetation, etc.), so I ordered a sample instead of buying it blind. The first thing I noticed when I sampled it, was that Heeley was smart enough to exclude all those unpleasant elements and focus only the good 'aquatic' stuff. I went in expecting what you're experiencing and found none of it.

Kenzo Pour Homme, Bvlgari Aqua...now those are nasty to me. But not Sel Marin.

I am due to receive a 20ml decant in the mail today. I hope I do not have the same experience...
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Absolutely adore Sel Marin, one of my favorite purchases. Can't beat the sea spray freshness... Lovely drydown too, like sun dried skin after a dip in the ocean...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Agree.

Gorgeous scent.

Outside of the Creed house (MI, Erolfa) your going to be hard pressed to find a high quality aquatic. Remember also that Heeley is a niche house so it's not going to smell like your average run of the mill designer aquatic. Bulgari Aqua is probably the best example of a designer true aquatic and Sel Marin just takes it a step further.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Have you ever smelled it?

I don't like marine scents, so I'd never buy or wear Sel Marin; having said that, it's still the best one I've smelled.

I don't think it's the month's hype object, noirdrakkar, I just think that with you northerners coming into Summer, many people will be looking for a good niche summer fragrance, and bottles of Sel Marin will be dusted off, rediscovered, enjoyed and touted more often.

Don't worry - it's getting cold here so I'll still be trumpeting Egoiste, Cuir d'Arabie and Sycomore.

Ha Ha I have a sample that I haven't tried yet but this thread puts it at the top of the list. The best aquatics I have are MI and Erolfa but now I'm looking forward to this one.

I don't see it as an aquatic, it's more of a citrus/marine fragrance. I can see how it doesn't appeal to people while also seeing how some see it as fantastic.
    I don't see any dead fish in the notes nor do I get that lol. It's very citric, with plenty of seaweed, minerals and cedar. I have a 10ml decant of it since I wanted to get a feel for it before possibly purchasing it. So far, it's looking like it won't be a buy even though its pretty pleasant for the most part.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I had the same negative connotations of Bond No. 9 Wall Street, same back to it a few months later and thought very highly of it. My negative experience had to do with over applying on a hot summer day (pretty sure any frag would have smelled not so hot in that situation.) Come back to it in a little while...give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I had the same negative connotations of Bond No. 9 Wall Street, same back to it a few months later and thought very highly of it. My negative experience had to do with over applying on a hot summer day (pretty sure any frag would have smelled not so hot in that situation.) Come back to it in a little while...give it another try.
    Wall Street on the other hand was gross. Cheap smelling and pairing a seaweed/cucumber aquatic smell with leather resulted in super projecting nastiness.

SALES THREAD

Contact through PM

I only tried it once, but I really enjoyed it when I did. May split it or something in the summer.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Seaweed and cucumber, yes. Leather, no...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Wall Street on the other hand was gross. Cheap smelling and pairing a seaweed/cucumber aquatic smell with leather resulted in super projecting nastiness.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I am due to receive a 20ml decant in the mail today. I hope I do not have the same experience...
    Should have gone to a local fish store and dip your head in one of the tanks. And even that would peobably smell better than this thing. Its so bad. It opens decent but turns in to this horrific dirty salty marine scent.

to the OP,

is it possible you got bad batch, or one that has gone off ? I find Sel Marin to be quite sweet smelling - nothing foul about it at all. If I do have a criticism, it would be that it is not beachy enough. I wish all beaches smelled this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Kenzo Pour Homme, Bvlgari Aqua...now those are nasty to me. But not Sel Marin.
    Haven't smelled Kenzo PH, but I agree completely with you about Bvlgari Aqua....at least the Aqua Marine. It seemed to have a definite sharp, fishy odor that never went away. I don't smell anything like that with the Sel Marin. Sel Marin is all about the dry down, for me. With the opening notes, it's hard to tell where it's going, but then it turns into something beautiful, right before your nose.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

i got a sample of this and don't like it. smells like wet dog lol..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    i got a sample of this and don't like it. smells like wet dog lol..
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Seaweed and cucumber, yes. Leather, no...
    "Wall Street by Bond No 9 is a Aromatic Aquatic fragrance for women and men. Wall Street was launched in 2004. The nose behind this fragrance is David Apel. The fragrance features leather, lavender, musk, pistachio, cucumber, lemon, caraway, vetiver, bitter orange, resins, seaweed and ambergris."

It's in there.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/B...reet-3260.html

SALES THREAD

Contact through PM

Im sorry guys. I m trying so hard to like it. But this is the immage I get in my head everytime I smell it

Not smelled the scent, but I get similar vibes from Bvlgari Aqua Marine. Growing up around the harbour and beaches, the connection with the smell of rotting sea life washed up on the shore or left there by the tide is just too strong.

Heck, I don't even really like eating fish, so why would I want to smell of it?

Great. I have a LuckyScent sample of Sel Marin en route that should be here tomorrow or Friday, and now I'm scared! Haha.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jpipes3 View Post
    Great. I have a LuckyScent sample of Sel Marin en route that should be here tomorrow or Friday, and now I'm scared! Haha.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Lets see if you smell dirty harbor or an amazing beach smell like the others say

But please wait for about half hour to an hour before you make any decision. It smells pretty good for the first half hour then the dead fish start floating on the surface of the water.

I enjoyed this one when I first sampled it. Then got a decant and absolutely hate it. Seaweed salad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I enjoyed this one when I first sampled it. Then got a decant and absolutely hate it. Seaweed salad.
    Feels good to hear I am not alone.

Its like a salty seaweed salad.

Sel Marin is the worst aquatics . It might not be for you but that is some statement to make for the scent loved by many on this board as well. What is the best aquatic scent for you may I ask?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Sel Marin is the worst aquatics . It might not be for you but that is some statement to make for the scent loved by many on this board as well. What is the best aquatic scent for you may I ask?
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel
    Millesime imperial

No seaweed salad topped with salty dead fish in these

Basenotes Member

Seriously? Sel Marin is not only one my favorite aquatic/marine scents, it also is one of my favorites...period.

Strange that some BN'ers get a nasty dead fish, etc vibe from it...I get a wonderful sea breeze...I love wearing it in winter as it reminds me of a summers day at the beach...in a good way! :-)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daverasi View Post
    Seriously? Sel Marin is not only one my favorite aquatic/marine scents, it also is one of my favorites...period.

Strange that some BN'ers get a nasty dead fish, etc vibe from it...I get a wonderful sea breeze...I love wearing it in winter as it reminds me of a summers day at the beach...in a good way! :-)
    I was completely unbiased when i put it on and even liked the opening. but the more it dried, the worst it got on my skin. Maybe it is my body chemistry. not sure.

I dont remember the last time I tried to wash off a scent from my skin, though.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I don't think it's the month's hype object, noirdrakkar, I just think that with you northerners coming into Summer, many people will be looking for a good niche summer fragrance, and bottles of Sel Marin will be dusted off, rediscovered, enjoyed and touted more often.
    Sel Marin was out since 2010. Where the heck were you guys 2 years ago?

That said, I really like Wall Street and I even like the Erolfa. So I will check it out for sure.

Just tried some on my skin today. I feel like I was dipped in and out of a dirty harbor and get whiffs of dead fish on me. Also smells like an aquarium that has never been cleaned. I cant stand this thing on me..
    ...I understand why. Just checked your wardrobe: you must be poisoned by the only scent you possess...!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...I understand why. Just checked your wardrobe: you must be poisoned by the only scent you possess...!
    yeap
    Last edited by Attila; 18th April 2013 at 06:47 AM.

+1 I'm not impressed with sel Marin either, especially for $180.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beano1551 View Post
    +1 I'm not impressed with sel Marin either, especially for $180.
    Where were you guys earlier man

I thought I was really the only one.

I have a sample of this sitting on a shelf. I'll have to wait until summer rolls around again to give it a true test.

Living in a coastal town, the smell of the beach just makes me instantly happy. I hope they captured it.

I think that this fragrance is so evocative with it's "seaside/beach accord" that people's minds add the rest by association with the smell.

If you have have pleasant memories of the seaside when you smell that "seaside/beach accord" then this scent will bring all that back. And the same if you associate the smell with negative associations, your mind will bring those memories back and the scent will remind you of that. But it's not the scent itself but the associations your mind has attached to that smell.

Which all in all makes the scent unequal that it can have a powerful evocative effect on your memory due to the creator capturing the "seaside/beach accord" so well.

Sel Marin is very unique.

Doesn't smell aquatic. It smells marine.

for swap/sale:

This scent packs so much salt I use it in cooking..../boom-tish

As others have said Marine not acquatic, takes me back to being out on the ocean that cool, salty ocean air blowing through your hair looking out onto the horizon...I quite like it but occasionally I do get a little seaweedy vibe but it fits in with the whole thing, I don't think they were trying to create a sweet ocean smell like MI when they did this.

I have tried 3 different batches of this stuff in the last year and they all resemebled each other very closely so whilst it could be batch variation, I would say more than likely if you think this smells like an unclean fishtank, then this simple isnt the fragrance for you.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I personally like this fragrance; I bought it whilst on the quest for a scent that would closely resemble the sea breeze wafting through the flowers in New Zealand. This is almost identical. A beautiful creation, but I can see why some may not like it.

Personally, not a fan of Sel Marin since acquired it
    Will try again once the winter in Oz melt away and see if my tastes has change
    for now the bottle's of Sel Marin sitting there collecting dust along with the Creeds o.O"

worst aquatics/marine; Bvlgari Aqua Marine, it literally made me puked in disgust
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I love my Bvlgari Aqva and it provides me with enough uniqueness.

Attila, get over it already. We've got your point fish/dog/unshaved puss. Buy your magic juice from Macys and relax.

Aquatic and marine. Do you really know the difference? Fresh water vs ocean (salt water). That is it.

The word “Aquatic” roots from the indo-european word “aqua or akwa” meaning water. In Latin, it is “aquaticus” and in Old French, “aquatique”. All of the derivations have the same meaning as it all refers to the compound substance “water”.

Aquatic in Modern English, is considered as an adjective which means growing or living or operating in water. Based on its roots and early derivations, it is apparent that it is a general term with no exact specification what kind of water ‘“ either tap, fresh, sea, or ocean ‘“ it is pertaining to.

Aquatic, as an adjective, is often used to describe a property or characteristic of living things, machines, or activities relating to their operation or type of existence, for instance, aquatic animals, aquatic vehicles, or aquatic sports. The word succinctly illustrate that such things are living or done in or on water.

Technically speaking, the term aquatic encompasses all kinds of body of water. However, in some cases, the term “aquatic” refers to freshwater exclusively. Particularly in biology, aquatic often means life in freshwater environment.

The word Marine comes from the indo-european word “more”, meaning “sea”. In Latin, it is “marinus” and in Middle English, “marin”, in which it holds the same meaning. The word specifically refers to the sea or ocean and it does not apply to anything else such as, lakes, rivers, and etc.

After seeing this thread I decided to use Sel Marin today. Absolutely terrific fragrance.