Code of Conduct

Default Cannot smell my frags

For some reason I cannot smell my scents. I have to place my nose to the spot to get a smell. Others say they can smell me and I am wearing heavier stuff. HM, L'EAU D'ISSEY, TdH (edt and Parfum) and Bleu de Chanel. I cant smell/feel my Montales but im not smelling them or the "bubble" its creating. I dont think its nose fatigue bcuz I cant smell them within mins of application. I want to be able to enjoy them but it seems lately I cannot. Does this happen to you guys.. should I stop wearing fraga for a few days...maybe its the fact that I smoke cigars regularly..or maybe its where i am applying. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Cannot smell my frags

This occurrence has never happened to me.

Nose fatigue sets in within minutes of application, so this is not particularly surprising. I cannot smell much either if I don't get my nose close to the point of application.

I wear perfumes under my suit. This means that projections is very limited. At the same time, the nose doesn't get too tired and I get whiffs now and then when I move.

cacio

Used to happen to me all the time.

Every time I bought a new frag I thought I got a fake or a dud.

Seriously, I'd make a post about it every time ("Hey, I think I received a fake _____________. I can't smell it.")

It especially would happen to me with a new fragrance, like on the first day or first week wearing it.

Now it doesn't happen anymore. I think it will stop happening to you too. And my advice to help it go away is this:

Use a lighter application. One shared between the wrists, one on the chest under the shirt. Do this for a while, and you'll notice you'll start to pick up on the scent better.

I know this seems counterintuitive, but it works.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Last edited by Awakening950; 18th April 2013 at 12:13 AM.

I do agree that if you wear a fragrance that you like in particular then it would be such a let down that you can't enjoy it while others around you do. One time I sprayed until I could smell myself. Never again my friend. Never again.

You can either trust that you smell great or do what I do sometimes. I give one spray to the back of my left hand and give it a close whiff every now and then to remind myself how I smell like.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Start brushing your teeth and tongue you tobacco chawing hillbilly. You can't smell your fragrance because it's being drowned out by your halitosis, flatulence, and body odor. It's also possible you're low on zinc. Is your primary mode or transportation drawn by a horse?
    I guess you're having a shitty day?

Quote Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post
    I guess you're having a shitty day?

Last edited by Awakening950; 18th April 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Happens every once in a while.

The cells involved with your sense of smell are regenerated every 28 days. Stop wearing fragrance for one full month and you'll give your nose the break it sounds like it needs. This is especially helpful if you're an over-sprayer.

I got to the point where four sprays of a scent seemed like nothing at all. Then I started dating a woman who is allergic to perfume - and I really do mean allergic. Well, if forced to choose between fragrance and a sexy woman, there's no choice at all. I chose her. We dated for around 7 weeks, during which time I gave up wearing fragrance. After we broke up, every scent seemed so much stronger than before and I noticed so many more details. It really felt like I supercharged my nose.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Start brushing your teeth and tongue you tobacco chawing hillbilly. You can't smell your fragrance because it's being drowned out by your halitosis, flatulence, and body odor. It's also possible you're low on zinc. Is your primary mode or transportation drawn by a horse?
    It's simply not possible to be over the top or extreme enough in a post online and not have someone take it at face value. Tongue in cheek, satire, spoofs etc. end up being viewed as serious posts and considering the bizarre reality we live in today it should come as a surprise.
    Don't spoofs/parody/satire usually require some kind of insight, prior knowledge or context for the audience?
    Your out-of-the-blue remark just came off as an insult, and to call it satire is possibly the most insulting thing ever.

catlettsl - I find when I smoke the odd stogie my taste buds are much less responsive. Since the scents of taste and smell are so closely linked, see if you can go a few days/weeks without one and see if that helps.
    Also if you're a very regular smoker I can imagine that the smell of smoke in your clothes and hair would be fighting with the frags for position.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i smoke cigarettes and sometimes and every now and again this occurs. not to the point within minutes though especially not issey..

^^ My friend, we really need to quit. I quit in 2009 for about 1 year, and your sense of smell and taste really get amplified, or more obviously return to normal. Plus its sort of dumb to be spending money on frags when all we do is ruin them with nasty cigarette smell

To the OP, this happens to me every once in a blue moon. I think its because sometimes we are concentrating too hard on trying to smell ourselves.

Try to apply away from your face and get sure if you apply on the wrist not to get some on your nose . This happens if you smell your wrist and the fragrance is still wet .you get the scent on top of the nose and the olfactory cells get used to the scent because of the high exposure.

I'm in the same boat as you OP. Every now and then I get totally anosmic. Here is what has worked for me:

1. Spray on your chest only, away from your nose (spray a little on one wrist as well, to smell every now and then if you want).

2.Try spraying a little less than normal.

3. Take a good multi-vitamin with zinc daily.

4. If all that fails, clean your olfactory palate overnight with some Yatagan before bed. I did that last night and my Legend was beautifully noticeable all day today. It's my only use for my Yatagan. Lol.

Basenotes Junkie

This happens to me an awful lot. Even stronger perfumes I often can not detect within 10 minutes of application. Then again - some I can, for some reason. Aventus or Silver Mountain Water I can pick up for a very long time, for instance.

I have had success spraying further away from my nose, meaning neck almost behind or slightly under my ears - that actually seems to help. Also, you can spray your wrist, smack them together a couple of times like a walrus (but don't rub) and have a whiff of it every now and then - or go in for a smell and have people look at you like you're some sort of creepy person.

But yeah - bottom line, this happens A LOT to me, and it's a real shame. I'd try stopping for a while just to check, pick up some vitamines with zinc in them just to check, but also to ... chill out and know you smell good I know it's not enough for everyone to have others say it, but it sort of works for me.

Its probably the cigars. You have been progressively destroying olfactory cells and its finally at the point where you cant smell certain things.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Its probably the cigars. You have been progressively destroying olfactory cells and its finally at the point where you cant smell certain things.
    I don't smoke, never have, probably never will. I've enjoyed probably around 10 cigars my whole life, and I'm 30 years old, so I'm not sure smoking is the only explanation for the issue with not smelling fragrances on yourself, sadly. If not I would quit my "once-per-year" cigar this instant.

I was talking to the OP.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I was talking to the OP.
    Ah sorry heperd, I assumed it was "in general". I agree that smoking could be a contributing factor, indeed. Just trying to prove that non-smoking people also experience this unfortunate situation, though it seems to be me and ... err ... two or three others amongst all of us basenoters. Hehe.

Im am included in those two or three and it sucks. I usually cant smell a frag after the first few minutes when im at home. Pretty sure it has always been the case but it only bothers me now that I am really trying to smell it. Back in the day I just sprayed on whatever and never thought about it again for the rest of the day. Now im trying to analyze the progress of each note and layer.....

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Sorry to hear this. You could always sell your fragrances to me on the cheap side . I promise I'll take really good care of them.

Fortunately ive never had that experience.

Basenotes Member

It happens with me too. I believe after sometime our nose gets accustomed to our scent, so we can't smell. Its true because my cousins often ask me which perfume I am wearing and in turn I ask them whether they can smell as I can't.
    www.luvessentials.com

This happens to me as well when I over apply.

Just send all your frags to me and I'll check them out --

Basenotes Member

Just stop smoking and everything will be fine.