Code of Conduct

Default From niche to mainstream

Sephora are carrying both some scents of Bond No. 9 and also L'Artisan Mure et Musc.

A new trend?

So much for niche companies boasting of exclusivity.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: From niche to mainstream

More options for shoppers to get the fragrances they love IMO are always welcome.

I think it's a good thing. More access to purchase niche frags.

Banned
    Blog Entries

some niche houses may promote 1 or 2 of their fragrances as mainstream. what it does is it allows the most curious mainstream shoppers to check out their brand. so maybe 1 out of 100 people who try I Love New York may sample other Bond no 9 fragrances. that would be just enough to encourage more people to try their fragrances without getting too much of an influx.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    More options for shoppers to get the fragrances they love IMO are always welcome.
    ^^^^totally agree!

Maybe we can all start discussing the actual merits of a frag now, ignoring the niche/mainstream divide.

Yeah, wishful thinking, I know.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I never thought niche meant 'limited access'.

To me it always meant quality ingredients, skilled perfumer & disregard to mainstream trends.

Who cares if it's at Sephora? If it meets the three criteria I mention above, it'll probably be above the average buyer's budget anyways (if you care about that sorta exclusivity).

for swap/sale:

A sephora in the US? I am surprised, Sephoras here are really depressing. Several Sephoras in Paris often carry some niche, for instance, Serge Lutens.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I never thought niche meant 'limited access'.

To me it always meant quality ingredients, skilled perfumer & disregard to mainstream trends.

Who cares if it's at Sephora? If it meets the three criteria I mention above, it'll probably be above the average buyer's budget anyways (if you care about that sorta exclusivity).
    Agreed. I really don't know why many BNs are making the designer/mainstream issue more complicated than it needs to be. Niche (as well as psuedo-niche) has nothing to do with fashion, hence why they're not called designer houses. The rest is complete BS. I think people are blurring the lines, so certain designer lines and houses can be tagged niche to make themselves feel better about what they own.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    A sephora in the US? I am surprised, Sephoras here are really depressing. Several Sephoras in Paris often carry some niche, for instance, Serge Lutens.

cacio
    Ditto. Just go to Paris. In 2007, I encountered many niche brands there, including Serge Lutens, Indult, Fresh and others.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    These are offered online but also some scents are carried in the stores. Selections vary by store.

I was happy to see Diptyque carried in a Nordstrom. (Again, not all stores.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

So fragrance companies are selling at shops that predominantly sell fragrances?

That's crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Sephora are carrying both some scents of Bond No. 9 and also L'Artisan Mure et Musc.

A new trend?

So much for niche companies boasting of exclusivity.
    Hmmm... is Bond No.9 supposed to be quite exclusive in its approach to marketing its scents?

Anyway, Sephora in Singapore has been carrying a considerable range of Bond No.9 for the past two, three years. Sadly no other 'niche' houses, and the rest of the fragrance line-up comprise the usual suspects such as Boss, Davidoff, Versace and all that.

I like it because it's another place I can sample. Still doesn't change the fact that the average person is going to give the "are you f*ing crazy?!!" look when the SA tells them the price of a Bond fragrance. Got news for ya. Outrageously expensive will never become mainstream. This is 2013 not the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    This is 2013 not the 1980's.
    Thank God. I can't take those hairstyles again.

In my opinion, it would be great if more fragrance stores, concentrating almost exclusively or only on designers, could also branch out into niche (even if sparsely, occasionally, experimentally etc. at first, to "test the market) and gradually build up an increasingly diversified niche supply.

Basenotes Member

To me the biggest difference between niche and designer perfumes isn't ingredients, quality or uniqueness but rather distribution. A number of design houses restrict certain lines to create niche. Why can't Chanel sell Coromandel the way it sells Chanel no.5? Because they wouldn't attract the same market. If Coty Prestige purposely restricted distribution would it be niche?

Since I'm not the kind of person who buys niche to be 'different', personally I would love for all niche to have the kind of distribution that mainstream perfumes have.

I am amazed how much people on Basenotes try to differ "Designer" from "Niche" Personally, I don't care if the fragrance comes from a manufacturer that also makes clothes.

People often make the very incorrect assumption that "niche" = quality or quality of ingredients. That is not true at all. Also, Niche doesn't always mean "more expensive". Really just means it caters to a small ("niche") need or taste. If it's made by someone in their basement using cheap ingredients they bought online trying to reproduce the smell of feet... NICHE! May not be good. May not be quality. May not be expensive.

Anyway, I am glad to hear a fragrance shop will be carrying more fragrances. Maybe I will finally have to swing into the local Sephora one of these days!

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I am amazed how much people on Basenotes try to differ "Designer" from "Niche" Personally, I don't care if the fragrance comes from a manufacturer that also makes clothes.

People often make the very incorrect assumption that "niche" = quality or quality of ingredients. That is not true at all. Also, Niche doesn't always mean "more expensive". Really just means it caters to a small ("niche") need or taste. If it's made by someone in their basement using cheap ingredients they bought online trying to reproduce the smell of feet... NICHE! May not be good. May not be quality. May not be expensive.

Anyway, I am glad to hear a fragrance shop will be carrying more fragrances. Maybe I will finally have to swing into the local Sephora one of these days!
    Agree with this completely, and I'm also glad to see some of these fragrances getting wider distribution. Then again, I'm not a fan of Bond or Mure et Musc. But I'm in favor in principle.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I don't give a rat's ass about 'exclusivity' so I don't really see a problem with this. Having more people smelling better is a bigger cause for celebration than keeping it to the few in the loop. Perhaps a wider distribution would allow these niche producers greater economies of scale that could hopefully lead to saner price tags.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Perhaps a wider distribution would allow these niche producers greater economies of scale that could hopefully lead to saner price tags.
    I agree with this. Perhaps if niche became more common in stores like sephora and reached a wider audience, we could eventually see niche prices drop a little bit.