Code of Conduct

Default Two More Fragrance Turn Arounds: Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme abd Dior Homme Sport

OK, I'm not sure what is going on with me. Over this almost 5 years I've only changed my mind on a scent once...TdH and it went from dislike to my favorite and almost a signature. Most others I have steadfastly had my nose stay pretty true. Today I was at Sephora on a walk back to work through downtown and I sniffed some that might be summer and spring appropriate. I always found L'Eau d'Issey bad..really bad. I thought bug spray. Today I got a really nice citrus and woods and I was actually taken in by it. The whole Dior line has made me run away because of the iris. The tester I used today started with a nice sharp citrus followed by a classy, creamy drydown...more skin scent..but nice for a Sport. Not sure what year that tester was. I actually felt that the chemical mess that is Polo Blue was smelling ok today. I know some people progress to more complicated scents as their nose evolves. I feel like I just find more simple things I enjoy. I know there are many threads on both of these. I think L'Eau d'Issey may be too young for my 43 year old self to pull off but really enjoyed Dior Homme Sport. Just wanted to throw this out to see if anyone else has turned on anything like this...finding some designers that didn't click
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Two More Fragrance Turn Arounds: Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme abd Dior Homme Sport

I still use and like Issey. Great summer scent. Could also be used in the winter IMO. One good thing about Sephora is you can sample away.

Default Re: Two More Fragrance Turn Arounds: Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme abd Dior Homme Sport

Personally never changed my feelings for these two. Think they're both fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    OK, I'm not sure what is going on with me. Over this almost 5 years I've only changed my mind on a scent once...TdH and it went from dislike to my favorite and almost a signature. Most others I have steadfastly had my nose stay pretty true. Today I was at Sephora on a walk back to work through downtown and I sniffed some that might be summer and spring appropriate. I always found L'Eau d'Issey bad..really bad. I thought bug spray. Today I got a really nice citrus and woods and I was actually taken in by it. The whole Dior line has made me run away because of the iris. The tester I used today started with a nice sharp citrus followed by a classy, creamy drydown...more skin scent..but nice for a Sport. Not sure what year that tester was. I actually felt that the chemical mess that is Polo Blue was smelling ok today. I know some people progress to more complicated scents as their nose evolves. I feel like I just find more simple things I enjoy. I know there are many threads on both of these. I think L'Eau d'Issey may be too young for my 43 year old self to pull off but really enjoyed Dior Homme Sport. Just wanted to throw this out to see if anyone else has turned on anything like this...finding some designers that didn't click
    I don't think too many people in the real world is going to smell you and judge you wondering why such an old man smells so young. Wear what you like, people don't care as much as others think they do.

Was it Dior Homme Sport 2008 or 2012?

Basenotes Plus

I always found L'Eau d'Issey bad..really bad. I thought bug spray. Today I got a really nice citrus and woods and I was actually taken in by it.
    I have had those days when everything under the sun seems pretty good to me. As if my nose just desperately wants to smell something....anything. So don't lose heart. When I first tried Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey some years ago I thought it was a revelation. Over time I came to feel that it is one of the most obnoxious fragrances there is. And of course it's one of those fragrances I smell on other people all the time. Very popular. But don't give up. Don't make that emotional commitment yet. Try it again. And again. You may come to your senses. Or not. Bless you my boy.

Ill try and keep together Dernier. It was strange. Like all things I didn't like came to life...lol
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I sometimes struggle to smell properly at places like Sephora because there are already so many scents in the air. I've really enjoyed a few scents there, only to return home with a sample that smelled quite different when I wore it the next day.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Member

For me, it's somewhat backwards too.

When I was just starting, I really disliked some random cheapies I got as presents. It just smelled so chemical-y to me.

Then I sniffed and bought a lot more stuff, even dabbled with some niche.

Now, for some reason, I don't mind the synthetic-ness anymore. I also appreciate the other accords around it too.

Weird.

The Dior Homme Sport was reformulated last year: Less ginger and a tiny amount of iris which gives the citrus a creamy aspect to it (a passing resemblance to Edition Blanche to my mind) but not enough to give off a make up vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    The Dior Homme Sport was reformulated last year: Less ginger and a tiny amount of iris which gives the citrus a creamy aspect to it (a passing resemblance to Edition Blanche to my mind) but not enough to give off a make up vibe.
    That is what I'm getting from it...a lighter Blanche..which was fine with me since Blanche was overdone to me. But it hasn't lasted worth a flick for me and I hear about a cedar drydown and get none.
    --Ben Hogan

I've definitely turned around on fragrances, both ways. Some cheapies I've started to realize are very synthetic and not well blended, others to my surprise turn out to be complex and well thought-out. I attribute this to my nose becoming more discerning and better able to pick out individual notes, as well as my tastes evolving. My tastes change day to day as well!

That said, I am not familiar with d'Issey nor DHS. Further, though I turn 30 this year I find myself attracted to a wide range of fragrances from the 70's, 80's, 90's and current - I used to worry about "smelling my age" but now it's just a personal journey. Of course, if SWMBO doesn't like a scent it doesn't last long regardless of my own opinion

There are 2 Issey's which I can actually stand; Sport and 2009 Summer.
    DHS is nice, I don't use it often but that's only because I have too many others to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    There are 2 Issey's which I can actually stand; Sport and 2009 Summer.
    DHS is nice, I don't use it often but that's only because I have too many others to choose from.
    The Sport seemed nice. Woodier.
    --Ben Hogan

Liking both of the two and considering both as very versatile and invigorating, energetic casual, sporty, warmer weather scents, suitable for virtually any age group of wearers.

The Sport seemed nice. Woodier.
    In respect to IM 09 Vs. Sport, or IM Sport Vs. DHS?
    For the former, I agree. I do prefer DHS over IM Sport though.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    In respect to IM 09 Vs. Sport, or IM Sport Vs. DHS?
    For the former, I agree. I do prefer DHS over IM Sport though.
    Sorry the IM Sport seemed woodier than regular IM
    --Ben Hogan

The Issey is allright. I have longevity issues, but otherwise quite like it.

Sorry the IM Sport seemed woodier than regular IM
    Oh, then I agree. I prefer it over the original...I actually can't stand the original to be honest.

Love my 200ml bottles of L'eau D'Issey pour homme,
    have another 200ml backup of it.

Am wearing my first sample of Issey today from Sephora and I love it. At first, I could swear the SA mixed up the DHS 2008 in the tester that they still have out with the Issey Miyake that I asked for, but now that I've been wearing it a little more, I can tell that it is much spicier than DHS. How can there be no ginger listed in this??? I really love the scent. I bought my Sephora's last 3.4 bottle DHS 2008 last week, and I haven't used it yet. I think I may take it back and buy Issey instead. It's that good, not that DHS 2008 isn't. I dunno. Maybe I'll keep the DHS 2008 as it is discontinued, buy a bottle of Issey on-line and keep the former for "special occasions" as a collector's item, of course.