Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: If your beloved doesn't like/hate a scent you really love, you...

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't wear it at all (or buy it)

4 8.16%
  • Don't wear it when she/he is around

39 79.59%
  • Wear it non matter what

6 12.24%
  • Nonetheless try to show her/him its beauty

4 8.16%
  • Dump him/her - get a lawyer to divorce

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Smile If your beloved doesn't like/hate a scent you really love, you...

The title speaks for itself, right?
    Let's go!
    Cheers!

Note: Some questions are really meant to be... taken seriously

Default Re: If your beloved doesn't like/hate a scent you really love, you...

Well, mine doesn't enjoy ANY of the scents I have. He would prefer me not using fragrance at all. Our compromise is that I put my scent on right before leaving for work (literally standing in the doorway). If we are at home during the weekend I don't wear fragrance either.

I'd love it if he were into scents as well (or would at least enjoy me wearing them) but alas...

I do not have such a frag in my wardrobe, however, if I did, I'll try not to wear when we are together. I know she'll do the same for me, so...

There are a few that make her sneeze. Usually on the initial sprays. I don't wear them when we are together.

The few (2 or 3 of my 200'collection) that my wife dislikes, I wear to work.

for swap/sale:

Fun poll! Remember, there is just a part of joke in every joke.

There's only one that comes to mind, but it's a biggie because I absolutely love it - it's Angel. He simply can't stand it even in the most negligible amounts and, naturally, I could simply bathe in the stuff ...literally. In addition to the edp, I have the shower gel, a body scrub, body cream, sparkling body powder, hand cream, and I used to have the hair mist! So, in order to fully indulge I have to wait for him to be out of town for at least a couple of days ...it tends to linger.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm fortunate that he doesn't hate any of my scents...and that he doesn't wear around me any of the ones I loathe. (I don't mind if he wears them to work, and urge him to do so.)

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    In addition to the edp, I have the shower gel, a body scrub, body cream, sparkling body powder, hand cream, and I used to have the hair mist! ... it tends to linger.
    Oh really? This is surprising
    Very funny Evangeline!

Lol! Yeah, all that gorgeous stuff just languishing on the shelf because he absolutely loathes it ...and trust me, I've tried to sneak it past him ...just a bit of the gel or maybe some hand cream from time to time, but he can always tell!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Well, mine doesn't enjoy ANY of the scents I have. He would prefer me not using fragrance at all. Our compromise is that I put my scent on right before leaving for work (literally standing in the doorway). If we are at home during the weekend I don't wear fragrance either.

I'd love it if he were into scents as well (or would at least enjoy me wearing them) but alas...
    I'm always surprised to see that some people can't stand any frag - save allergy/sensitivity cases. But of course it's obviously a matter of taste, personnality...
    Thank you for sharing Bonsai. Who knows: tastes are also made to be changed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Lol! Yeah, all that gorgeous stuff just languishing on the shelf because he absolutely loathes it ...and trust me, I've tried to sneak it past him ...just a bit of the gel or maybe some hand cream from time to time, but he can always tell!
    Evangeline, I must tell you something, and it's not easy for me: Angel is ALWAYS detectable, even from a nuclear shelter

At first I try to show her the beauty of my lovely cologne, and then if she didn't like it again I don't bother anymore and don't wear it when she is with me...
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

There are some scents that don't appeal to everyone.

I just wear those in private.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

My husband tends to dislike florals, aldehydic florals in particular, so I don't wear those around him.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    At first I try to show her the beauty of my lovely cologne.
    Sounds poetic, nfn1983! You're romantic, aren't you?
    Thanks for your post!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    My husband tends to dislike florals, aldehydic florals in particular, so I don't wear those around him.
    Not even the "INEVITABLE"???

My OH has very little sense of smell due to him being a smoker with sinus congestion from hayfever, so even the scents that he doesn't like really don't bother him that much.

I do try with a little education and trying to get him to see that they are all lovely, but he says that most of them smell like furniture polish, so there's a little way to go...
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Basenotes Plus

I wouldn't purchase anything she had a strong aversion too, though it's never really been an issue. She has wide-ranging taste, a varied wardrobe of her own, and a tendency to "borrow" my stuff too. In general we fragrantly co-exist very amicably.

Quote Originally Posted by Letitbenose View Post
    Evangeline, I must tell you something, and it's not easy for me: Angel is ALWAYS detectable, even from a nuclear shelter
    Yep, that sums up his argument rather neatly.

Blog Entries

My beloved has slowly got used to most of my varied collection. The ones he dislikes tend to be old-school orientals like Shalimar & Magie Noire, & he really loathes Sables. l tend to wear these for nights in by myself.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Well, judging by the preliminary results, love is stronger than frags' : No divorce!

I've selected
    "Don't wear it when she/he is around "

Well, I opted for 'Wear it no matter what'... hey, I like it I wear it. Fortunately or thanks to my good taste it hardly ever happens. Last time with Mouchoir de Monsieur. The new one has an initial herbal sharpness I like, but it is not appreciated by everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Fortunately or thanks to my good taste it hardly ever happens.
    I'm pretty sure of one thing, Larimar: "fortunatly" is superfluous in that sentence

Glad noone said divorce, lol.

I'd wear it, I don't care. He used to be picky, saying, that smells bad, this smells bad...now it's the opposite..he usually says everything smells good, interesting. I think I got him into scent a bit.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

My beloved do not like Seville a'Laube LaP on me, and this is the one I adore. So I'm enjoying it at work.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

My poor long-suffering OH puts up gamely with me jamming my wrists underneath his long suffering nose as I test frags, ingredients and new creations.... he only really objected when I was wearing Indian Oudhs to test the longevity. He banned them saying I smelled like a camels ar...mpit.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    saying I smelled like a camels ar...mpit.
    Humm, I suspect that this not a compliment
    Still there is one question to be answered: for God s Sake, how does he know the smell of... camels armpit???

I am not going to ask that question....!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I am not going to ask that question....!!!! lol
    I understand: sometimes it's way better not to know the truth

I would wear it anyway - too bad if he doesn't like it. But there are very few he doesn't like.

I'm glad some other people have joined me in the 'wear it no matter what' option- it was a bit lonely in there for a while!
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

I'd still wear it- I'd just try not to wear it around them.

No fiance/husband/boyfriend in my life -but I have co-workers that do have allergies so I avoid lily and rose based scents when our schedules overlap. Migranes aren't fun and I won't be the trigger for someone else's if I know to avoid it.
    If it is a preference /dislike mmmmm....well .. sometimes you just have to put up with stuff.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Since it's a multiple choice poll, in my case it would be most likely an even mix of the three different cases 2-4, with several variations of these. In other words, I'd try to adapt but also try not to deprive our relationship even of a less liked fragrance and, if possible, try to find a "middle ground", where the fragrance is, if not liked or appreciated, at least tolerated thanks to rational reasoning. If all these approaches fail, I still wouldn't choose something extreme like 1 or 5.

Hey the poll ain't over!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    No fiance/husband/boyfriend in my life -but I have co-workers that do have allergies so I avoid lily and rose based scents when our schedules overlap. Migranes aren't fun and I won't be the trigger for someone else's if I know to avoid it.
    If it is a preference /dislike mmmmm....well .. sometimes you just have to put up with stuff.
    Thank you all for participating!
    bookwyrmsmith, It didn't cross my mind when I created this thread, but reading your post and few others make me think I sould have broadened the poll to the "close entourage"... in a more inclusive way.
    Lets consider it done
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Letitbenose; 27th April 2013 at 05:57 PM.

treeman5823

Any of these responses will suffice.

Luckily (or not), my husband doesn't really notice most of my scents. There are a few that drive him wild that he always notices, and then there are a few that I think he *can* smell that he's not particularly fond of but won't say anything about. I think Shalimar may be one of them, but I'm not giving that one up. I generally just try to wear those on the weekdays.

I can report I have showed "popular responses" for this test: over 78% of us replied we won't use it in the SO's presence
    lol