Code of Conduct

Question Is Concentre d'Orange Verte similar to Lime Basil & Mandarine?

I just finished a sample of Lime Basil & Mandarine and I loved it. However, the price of a full bottle is putting me off a bit. I've been considering some cheaper alternatives that might capture what I love about this one: linearly citrus, very tangy, and slightly salty and sweet.

I've come across a few alternatives online:
    Concentre d'Orange
    Bigarade Concentree
    Orange Sanguine

The Hermes seems like the best value and also universally liked. However, there is such a huge range of what a "citrus" fragrance can mean, that I'm not sure if it shares in common what I love about the Jo Malone. Has anybody tried both and can give their impression on the similarities and differences? I don't so much mind that one is lime and one is orange, just mainly that they share the same salty, sweet, tangy vibe.

And if anyone has any suggestions of other similar fragrances that are easily obtainable and moderately priced, that'd be great, too. Thanks!

EDIT: I should also mention that I blind bought Bergamotto Marino, hoping for it to fill the same gap. While I really like it, it wasn't at all similar.
    Last edited by TrimmTrabb; 19th April 2013 at 02:01 AM.

Default Re: Is Concentre d'Orange Verte similar to Lime Basil & Mandarine?

I have the three you're considering and to me they're different but better options IMO.

Concentree D'Orange Verte is similar to the Jo Malone fragrance. I sampled it awhile back and if I remember correctly it's a sweeter version of CDOV. The orange in CDOV is a bitter orange like the smell of a orange peel or a grapefruit peel. From there your going to get a little basil and some woods which really make it more of a complete fragrance. I can't see you not liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have the three you're considering and to me they're different but better options IMO.
    Could you elaborate on the differences?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Concentree D'Orange Verte is similar to the Jo Malone fragrance. I sampled it awhile back and if I remember correctly it's a sweeter version of CDOV. The orange in CDOV is a bitter orange like the smell of a orange peel or a grapefruit peel. From there your going to get a little basil and some woods which really make it more of a complete fragrance. I can't see you not liking it.
    Thanks! When you say that CDOV is less sweet than LBM, how much less? That is, is very dry and bitter, or does it still maintain some juiciness and sweetness?

share the same salty, sweet, tangy vibe.........

Eau d'orange verte concentre does not share the salty and sweet vibe. There is nothing sweet or salty about EDOVC.

It is a green, very green citrus fragrance, that smells like orange peels. It is refreshing, tangy, very very natural and delicious.

As some others have said, they both share a fresh citrus tanginess, and they both have lime-y type of notes. CDOV is less sweet, but it's still a citrus fruit, so it's not sharp or too bitter. I think you're going to find it satisfying, and I cannot think of anything closer in spirit to LBM.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As some others have said, they both share a fresh citrus tanginess, and they both have lime-y type of notes. CDOV is less sweet, but it's still a citrus fruit, so it's not sharp or too bitter. I think you're going to find it satisfying, and I cannot think of anything closer in spirit to LBM.

cacio
    That's very helpful. Thank you.

Basenotes Member

I have both and there are similarities. I prefer Concentre D'Orange Verte. Lime Basil and Mandarine has a musty edge on me and it's a bit too 'aftershavey'. To me CDOV is very clean and bright, with a similar level of sweetness as LB&M and a soft woody finish.

CDOV smells very green firstly - like the leaf that you sometimes get stuck to an orange. Sublime scent though, I do enjoy.

Nouveau Bowery is practically the same as LBM but even more concentrated on the lime note. Downside is -- more expensive. Shay and Blue have 2 fragrances in their range, 1 Orange , 1 Lime that are cheaper than LBM.

I have the Hermes and Malle frags and neither smell like lime and basil really. All of them vanish like a fart in the wind if that's important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Nouveau Bowery is practically the same as LBM but even more concentrated on the lime note. Downside is -- more expensive.
    + 1

I purchased mine on ebay for about half of retail.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    + 1

I purchased mine on ebay for about half of retail.
    You'll enjoy it even more now - good spot

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    share the same salty, sweet, tangy vibe.........

Eau d'orange verte concentre does not share the salty and sweet vibe. There is nothing sweet or salty about EDOVC.

It is a green, very green citrus fragrance, that smells like orange peels. It is refreshing, tangy, very very natural and delicious.
    Yup, that's Concentre d'Orange Verte. For my money, it's the best orange scent on the market. Longevity is sub par, like all citrus scents, but it's not as bad as some, and if you spray it on your clothes you'll get at least a few hours.

Note that Bigarade Concentree is very different. I think it has a flinty body odor vibe reminiscent of Terre d'Hermes Pure Parfum. I don't like it at all.

I did try Lime, Basil and Mandarin after reading Luca Turin's book (where he raved about it), and thought it was pretty ordinary. Not bad, just not bottle worthy.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

So it seems like there is a bit of conflicting opinion whether the Hermes is similar enough to the Jo Malone. On the other hand, everybody loves d'Orange Verte regardless, and that makes it a pretty safe buy.

Thanks for the Bond 9 suggestion too.