Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Doesn't Bleu de Chanel smell so ordinary?

Dont get me wrong guys. I like it.
    but to me, it doesnt stand out from the rest. It has absolutely no uniqueness.
    Very ordinary and common. I feel like I smelled 10 different versions of this fragrance from different bottles already.
    longevity and projection is nothing to brag about either.
    The quality of the bottle(weight, magnetic cap etc) far surpasses the quality of the juice in it.
    Just a decent designer frag overall.

Default Re: Doesn't Bleu de Chanel smell so ordinary?

That seems to be the general consensus on here. For me it's ok, but it smells too much like something from the Allure line. It could've been called Allure Bleu and nobody would have thought twice about it. I'm waiting for the day when Chanel releases Bleu Sport, or Bleu Eau Extreme. Basenotes is going to implode.

You've put your finger on a prime criticism of Bleu: that it isn't out-of-the-ordinary, and doesn't have the "wow" factor of, say, an Invasion Barbare. I think it's a matter of artificially high expectations.

I think we're at the stage where every scent is going to smell a bit like some other scent. I try to judge each fragrance on its own merits. I've waffled a bit on Bleu: liked it a lot, didn't like its synthetic nature, and now I think I'm at the point where I kinda like it again. Chanel has much better scents, but I agree that it's "just a decent designer frag overall."

And the bottle is lovely.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Beyond unique smell for me...nothing else like it on the market. Incensy grapefruit

Agreed, it's not the standard aquatic fragrance. Is it a safe fragrance, yes. But IMO it's better than a large portion of the typical designer fragrances out there. Chanel could have done much worse than this. It's long lasting, smells nice and has SOME level of complexity to it.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Beyond unique smell for me...nothing else like it on the market. Incensy grapefruit

I don't care about "ordinary" if I like it. My issue is that this should be right up my alley but there is a very "spikey" or tingling type note that stays with me for a long time and that kind of turns me off.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Its a downright disgrace to the name of the house of Chanel and an affront to my nostrils to experience this monstrosity of excuse that masquerades as a perfume.

Hmph.

Bleu is a synthetic frag that seems to be liked by a lot of folks. Received a few compliments with this one. Projection and Longevity is average and a decent purchase IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    That seems to be the general consensus on here. For me it's ok, but it smells too much like something from the Allure line. It could've been called Allure Bleu and nobody would have thought twice about it. I'm waiting for the day when Chanel releases Bleu Sport, or Bleu Eau Extreme. Basenotes is going to implode.
    Honestly an Extreme or Edp concentration would be AMAZING!!! Bring it on!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

At the end of the day, Chanel supports it's profits with ultra consumer researched frags like Bleu, and at the same time puts out the Exclusives line for folk like us.

You got to respect their strategy...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

In my opinion- if compared to some more complex, extravagant, conservative, artsy etc. releases of Chanel: then yes.

If compared to most recent designer releases: not so much.

Dependent

Yes, very ordinary

My thought as well, but written in a much better way!!! ---->>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    doesn't have the "wow" factor of, say, an Invasion Barbare. I think we're at the stage where every scent is going to smell a bit like some other scent. but I agree that it's "just a decent designer frag overall." And the bottle is lovely.

I don't have a problem with it, though I don't own it and I don't consider it fbw.

It's priced about $200 less than Invasion Barbare. I would never expect a Ford Focus to run better than a Ferrari. Kind of apples to oranges here no? Is Bleu ordinary, IMO no. Not when you compare it to similarly priced designer fragrances.

doesn't have the "wow" factor of, say, an Invasion Barbare. I think it's a matter of artificially high expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    It's priced about $200 less than Invasion Barbare. I would never expect a Ford Focus to run better than a Ferrari. Kind of apples to oranges here no? Is Bleu ordinary, IMO no. Not when you compare it to similarly priced designer fragrances.
    I think that was my point: unfortunately, people DO compare Bleu to fragrances that have the undefinable something that makes you sit up and take notice, like Invasion Barbare, or Aventus, or pick-your-favorite. They say Bleu is "ordinary," or "boring," or use similar terms; and complain that it wasn't a revolutionary game-changer. And that's a shame, because on its own merits, the general consensus is that Bleu isn't a bad scent. And I agree that, at its price point, it's an above average scent (just broke out a sample, actually, and I think I was too harsh in calling it just decent -- I actually might have to buy a bottle again). It's not Egoiste, but that doesn't make it bad.

Of course, there's always going to be someone who calls it "a downright disgrace to the name of the house of Chanel and an affront to my nostrils to experience this monstrosity of excuse that masquerades as a perfume." Which, though undoubtedly meant as humor, isn't far off from what some longtime Chanel lovers have said.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Blog Entries

There's ordinary, and there's better than ordinary. Bleu falls under the latter group, IMO. It smells pleasant and nice, with above average longevity, and very good projection.

Gotcha, I totally agree. I think that's an issue when most sniff designer fragrances that are highly touted here and in other forums. Some expect a $60 fragrance to be an earth shattering holy grail. In some cases it might be. However, when wild expectations aren't met it's simply ordinary. Personally, I experienced this when testing Green Irish Tweed. I was expecting so much more based on all that I read.

I think that was my point: unfortunately, people DO compare Bleu to fragrances that have the undefinable something that makes you sit up and take notice, like Invasion Barbare, or Aventus, or pick-your-favorite. They say Bleu is "ordinary," or "boring," or use similar terms; and complain that it wasn't a revolutionary game-changer. And that's a shame, because on its own merits, the general consensus is that Bleu isn't a bad scent. And I agree that, at its price point, it's an above average scent (just broke out a sample, actually, and I think I was too harsh in calling it just decent -- I actually might have to buy a bottle again). It's not Egoiste, but that doesn't make it bad.

Of course, there's always going to be someone who calls it "a downright disgrace to the name of the house of Chanel and an affront to my nostrils to experience this monstrosity of excuse that masquerades as a perfume." Which, though undoubtedly meant as humor, isn't far off from what some longtime Chanel lovers have said.

What smells like Bleu?

It is very safe, and appeals to the masses. Every now and then a house needs to come out with something that fits the needs of your average consumer that buys a bottle for Christmas. This is it!

It doesn't get directly compared to anything so I don't buy the "it's not unique" BS. It's extremely well blended which no one is going to argue. The smell is subjective, but just on smell alone it's hard to not like it. So your going to knock it because it's universally appealing, it's not as complex for your niche tastes, too many people wear it...blah...blah..blah...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dinonuggets View Post
    What smells like Bleu?
    My point exactly.
    Last edited by silentrich; 19th April 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Unwarranted hate for this one due to typical snob mentality by so many posters...Invasion Barbare is garbage imo

I personally like Bleu de Chanel. Great - IMO no. Nice - Yes.

I can't tell you what smells like Bleu, but I can tell you that everytime I smell Bleu I smell something sporty/citrusy/body spray thing that I've smelled before. To me it smells like something rich imitating something poor.

You guys think it smells ordinary because it had that sporty citrus thing going on. Spend a year or two in the niche world and that spicy patchouli thing, or smoky leather thing becomes ordinary. So that's a very relative and subjective word.

What it comes down to is how it's done. Bleu does that sporty citrus thing or whatever you want to call it very well. It's an "ordinary" smell with above ordinary quality.

Wondering why it matters.

But I really like this emoticon: And this one, too:

Boring for many who like something new every day. But, very good for a signature scent, and versatile, even more versatile than Allure homme Sport.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Unwarranted hate for this one due to typical snob mentality by so many posters...Invasion Barbare is garbage imo
    That's as ridiculous as saying Bleu's garbage. It's okay to like both ya know.

I think it's a love/hate relationship with this frag. Is it a generic smell? Perhaps. But its balanced so smoothly that I always get compliments when I wear it. It really depends on the nose and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think that it really depends on the house that produces the scent. If this scent was to have a Creed label on it, people may be saying that its the smoothest grapefuit citrus scent on the market. For me, Bleu becomes my go to work scent when I want to smell great and not not risk offending anyone's nose. Love it or hate it, I think it smells good.

I enjoy the fact that its a safe fragrance. Seriously don't know why some so called niche fragrances that smell unique (crap) are highly valued.

Chemical shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I don't care about "ordinary" if I like it. My issue is that this should be right up my alley but there is a very "spikey" or tingling type note that stays with me for a long time and that kind of turns me off.
    agree.....chemical/synthetic.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

I disagree with the OP - i find it quite unique. Still it's marketed for "ordinary", mainstream target group which i count myself in, we don't like niche frags and don't give a [a word beginning with s letter] about them.

The thing i don't like in Bleu is that it has an aquatic side (not a real aquatic though) that makes it a bit "cold" fragrance, i long for some ingredient/note which would make it a bit warmer.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    Its a downright disgrace to the name of the house of Chanel and an affront to my nostrils to experience this monstrosity of excuse that masquerades as a perfume.

Hmph.
    agree.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

nowt special

It smells like those lemon fruit slice jelly candies, except if it was grapefruit slice. A sugared grapefruit. I cannot think of anything exactly that gives me that feel. Not an aquatic IMO.

What smells like Bleu?
    Nothing. So many people say it smells "generic", "common", or "ordinary", but I have never heard it compared to any fragrance.

The first time I smelled it, I hated it. About 6 months later, I purchased a sample just for the hell of it. I loved it so much on 1st application, I ran out and bought a bottle. I don't even remember what I didn't like about it the first time, but I know I love it now.

Gets compliments. Versatile - any season, any occasion. Unique. Fairly inexpensive.

Being criticized because it doesn't break any new ground? How many fragrances do these days?

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    I disagree with the OP - i find it quite unique. Still it's marketed for "ordinary", mainstream target group which i count myself in, we don't like niche frags and don't give a [a word beginning with s letter] about them.

The thing i don't like in Bleu is that it has an aquatic side (not a real aquatic though) that makes it a bit "cold" fragrance, i long for some ingredient/note which would make it a bit warmer.
    Completely agree.

My opinion is that Chanel sought to have a scent that was simply more accessible - not only from a price point (because let's face it, not everyone can afford Les Exclusifs) but from an olfactory one. Can't really blame them; after all is said and done, they're in business to make money. While Bleu de Chanel isn't my cup of tea (I'm more of a Carnal Flower type of man) , I certainly don't think it's 'beneath' Chanel to make a scent for that's appealing to the male masses.

Let me be blunt: I'd take Bleu over Invasion Barbare any day of the week. And yes, I've worn both. One man's trash...you know the rest.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Dont get me wrong guys. I like it.
    but to me, it doesnt stand out from the rest. It has absolutely no uniqueness.
    Very ordinary and common. I feel like I smelled 10 different versions of this fragrance from different bottles already.
    longevity and projection is nothing to brag about either.
    The quality of the bottle(weight, magnetic cap etc) far surpasses the quality of the juice in it.
    Just a decent designer frag overall.
    I couldnt agree more

It stands out by a mile compared to all the "Please don't notice me scents" clogging the shelves at the moment.

Not sure what to make of the comments of the anti-synthetic crowd. Perfumes are made by humans, and humans are a part of nature too.
    Regards,
    Renato

I've always been of the opinion that most of Chanel's mainline consist of well made generic smelling fragrances.

and as someone who sells perfume for a living, I can say that you could really do worse out there. Bleu is very well priced, well packaged, and as for the smell, it's a boring combination in that it doesn't break any olifactory ground but it's smooth, nicely balanced, has a little bit of everything, and overall I think it's a great all 'round fragrance in terms of day/night, summer/winter, office/casual, etc and it's just plain easy to wear plus gets quite a bit of compliments. Above average sillage and longevity too.

in short, what's not to like? true nothing to love, but it's a solid cash cow frag for the house IMO
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Perhaps it is not intended to be a statement piece in the first place.

It is average . I get a lot of compliments wearing it, which is the purpose of Chanel making it. It appeals to the mass , and this is the way the y make money. Do you think Chanel make money selling few sycamore at their boutiques daily?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kal1973 View Post
    It is average . I get a lot of compliments wearing it, which is the purpose of Chanel making it. It appeals to the mass , and this is the way the y make money. Do you think Chanel make money selling few sycamore at their boutiques daily?
    Yes.

don't think so ! IMO
    ladies at work love it sooo much!
    Last edited by Francolino; 20th April 2013 at 07:29 AM.

Tres ordinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    It stands out by a mile compared to all the "Please don't notice me scents" clogging the shelves at the moment.

Not sure what to make of the comments of the anti-synthetic crowd. Perfumes are made by humans, and humans are a part of nature too.
    Regards,
    Renato
    +1 BRO!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think it smells ordinary. I can't think of anything that smells like it. Also, despite high sales, I really don't notice many cats wearing Bleu.

For those of you who thought Bleu de Chanel was going to smell like something along the lines of Horizon, just go buy Horizon. It seems like Waiting for Godot becomes Waiting for Chanel on the Men's Forum here at BN. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    Perhaps it is not intended to be a statement piece in the first place.
    Exactly. Bleu is the fragrance equivalent of a quality, well made white shirt. Not groundbreaking, but can be worn on any occasion. It is a perfect signature scent fragrance.

This isn't a comment on Bleu's individual merits or on anyones taste.

Quoting Felix Salmon on his Reuters blog:"Haute coture is a loss leader for perfume sales". As long as their coture division remains relevant, i.e reasonably good, exclusive and expensive, they can put whatever they want in bottles and aspiration will take care of the rest.

I love Bleu, it lasts forever on my skin and projects like crazy. Compliments too. In my opinion, the original Allure Homme smells quite generic and boring.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by onaluna View Post

But I really like this emoticon:
    I really like that one too.
    He's scrubbing some perfume off his skin. See the smile on his face?

What smells like Bleu?

It smells like all your shower gels, body lotions and deodorants mixed together in one bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    It smells like all your shower gels, body lotions and deodorants mixed together in one bottle.
    Yeah, but only the best ones...

I think it's quite unique for a citrusy fragrance.

People seem to think anything that's popular cant be unique. The smokiness of the fruity top almost reminds a little of aventus. I personally love it. I think it fills the role of aventus. If this was creed bleu, people would definitely love it. I don't think this is a run of the mill citrus. It's lovable, easy to wear, and unique enough IMO to be considered a great frag