Code of Conduct

Smile Finally bought Creed Aventus and GIT - what's next?

Since this is my first post, a bit of history. I started the fragrance hobby some years ago, and due to some reason I wasted most of my time on CK fragrances. Thinking back, the only OK one to me was Truth for men. I bought some others, based on one spray tests at the counter, some based on reviews here, and some total blind buys. I have to say I had some disappointments, but until last week, the top three on my list, among over 20 fragrances I own, were: Aramis Havana, Issey Miyaki homme and Armani/CK Truth (tie).

So fast forward to last week. I took the leap and bought Aventus and GIT of Creed, 30 ml each, based on reviews here and again, one spray tests. The tests didn't let me know how good or bad they are as usual. I tried them out these two days and I was blown away - by their naturalness. Other fragrances I own as stated above, invariably leave a "perfumy" smell (base notes) after some hours. But not the creeds. They smell so good and their smell just decays very naturally, especially for GIT. It will just fade away without leaving that perfumy smell I mentioned. And boy they smell great. My Aventus is from the F01 batch but it is hard to imagine if it can be more pineapple-ly. To me this is just right - should I still try my luck to get another batch?

Ok so here is the question. I know there is no holy grail, and to each his own, but what should I try next? I am looking for something like Creed - good smell but remains natural smelling when the top notes fade. I don't care about longevity (I will have a separate post on why). As a guidance, apart from the Creeds, I also like Issey Miyaki, CK Truth and Havana - but only as far as their top notes are concerned. Fragrances which I blind bought based on reviews and absolutely hate, include: Dior Homme, Dior Fahrenheit. They are the finest examples of the "perfumy" smell which I mentioned. No offense to anyone using them, just want to set out my preferences so fine folks like you can give me better guidance.

Any recommendations very welcome - looking forward to your replies!

Default Re: Finally bought Creed Aventus and GIT - what's next?

I get no perfumy smell from Dior Homme nor Fahrenheit.

It seems as though you may be more inclined to purchase niche as their fragrances have far more natural ingredients than designer fragrances.

Silver Mountain Water
    Millesime Imperial
    Gucci PH II
    Polo Explorer
    Rive Gauche
    Body Kouros
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Neroli Portifino
    Millesime Imperial
    Virgin Island Water
    And a host of others. Enjoy!

Royal Scottish lavender
    Royal English Leather
    Royal Oud

I humbly welcome you to BN, where in abt 20 active threads, there are abt just 7-8 devoted to Creeds (shameful)...

I am a mind reader

Having read the minds of most BN, who are more inclined to buy Creeds, I've concluded (obviously based on what they had in their minds) that you should buy all the remaining fragrances of Creed... They will be extatic if you went on a binge buy and bought all of the remaining Creeds at one shot...

On a serious note, there are many other far superior houses that make better frags than Creed, I'm sure the expert BN will soon throw you a few houses u can look into...

Welcome! Good start with the Creeds IMO. I would look into Virgin Island Water and Millesime Imperial. Those are awesome scents to add to your collection. As stated above there are alot of houses out there that have great stuff as well! Acqua Di Parma has some great stuff in their blu mediterraneo line. I would check out some Jo Malone's as they are very simple yet satisfying scents. Happy hunting!
    Live Aloha! Live Da HIlife!

Next up is to start 10 Creed Aventus threads a day ad nauseum exacting all the details of why it is the best fragrance out there.

Seriously though, you should start investigating the houses of Guerlain, Hermes, Dior, YSL, MPG, Montale, Comme des Garcons, and Serge Lutens. These houses produce top notch frags with far more winners than losers with far better quality than most creeds for a much better price. Buy samples before bottles and decide what suits you best. Good Luck!

Check out

Maison Francis Kurkdijan
    Frederic Malle

Some great fragrances and have that natural smell you're after...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Based on fragrances I own and have experience with and your appreciation of Aventus and GIT, here are several recommendations (you can order samples of them from Lucky Scent or Surrender to Chance):

Menthe Fraiche by James Heeley
    Gaiac by M. Micallef
    Philosykos by Diptyque

These are really nice, and have a good, natural smell. But they're expensive.

Less expensive designer frags you may like (and can easily find samples of) include:

Rive Gauche
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Roadster
    Carbone de Balmain

Banned
    Blog Entries

Gucii pour homme,yang and declaration

C for Men - Clive Christian
    Invasion Barbare - MDCI Parfums
    Aoud Cuir d’Arabie - Montale
    Epic Man - Amouage

Millesime Imperiale
    Silver Mountain Water
    Virgin Island Water

I also liked Reflection Man by Amouage
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by SR009 View Post
    Since this is my first post, a bit of history. I started the fragrance hobby some years ago, and due to some reason I wasted most of my time on CK fragrances. Thinking back, the only OK one to me was Truth for men. I bought some others, based on one spray tests at the counter, some based on reviews here, and some total blind buys. I have to say I had some disappointments, but until last week, the top three on my list, among over 20 fragrances I own, were: Aramis Havana, Issey Miyaki homme and Armani/CK Truth (tie).

So fast forward to last week. I took the leap and bought Aventus and GIT of Creed, 30 ml each, based on reviews here and again, one spray tests. The tests didn't let me know how good or bad they are as usual. I tried them out these two days and I was blown away - by their naturalness. Other fragrances I own as stated above, invariably leave a "perfumy" smell (base notes) after some hours. But not the creeds. They smell so good and their smell just decays very naturally, especially for GIT. It will just fade away without leaving that perfumy smell I mentioned. And boy they smell great. My Aventus is from the F01 batch but it is hard to imagine if it can be more pineapple-ly. To me this is just right - should I still try my luck to get another batch?

Ok so here is the question. I know there is no holy grail, and to each his own, but what should I try next? I am looking for something like Creed - good smell but remains natural smelling when the top notes fade. I don't care about longevity (I will have a separate post on why). As a guidance, apart from the Creeds, I also like Issey Miyaki, CK Truth and Havana - but only as far as their top notes are concerned. Fragrances which I blind bought based on reviews and absolutely hate, include: Dior Homme, Dior Fahrenheit. They are the finest examples of the "perfumy" smell which I mentioned. No offense to anyone using them, just want to set out my preferences so fine folks like you can give me better guidance.

Any recommendations very welcome - looking forward to your replies!
    Creed please go