Code of Conduct

Default Why should longevity be a factor for considering which fragrance is good?

I am quite confused about this. It seems that many people are concerned about longevity of perfume and it is a major factor when people consider how good a fragrance is. Why not just buy some empty sprayers? I have a bunch of them (one for each fragrance - you may need to label them if you have a collection) and they are real cheap. They are smaller than the size of your index finger and can fit into your pocket very easily. Just spray your fragrance into the encapsuled bottle and you are set for a week. So for me, the only factor for considering a fragrance is how they smell. Of course, smell is a subjective matter, but my point is, longevity should not be your concern, and at the very least it should not be your main concern, when you select fragrances.

Default Re: Why should longevity be a factor for considering which fragrance is good?

It depends on the fragrance that is being considered. Some people do choose to carry a pocket bottle or decant. However, if I'm spending top dollar on a fragrance I expect a longevity that would not require myself to do so.

Default Re: Why should longevity be a factor for considering which fragrance is good?

Your opinion that longevity should not be a main concern is subjective as well. For the price that we pay for fragrances we want something that will last us all day. I refuse to buy a bottle for $80+ and it only lasts 4 hours on my skin, how am I really enjoying the fragrance all day? I personally do not want to carry around a atomizer in my pocket.

Everyone has their own opinion on longevity for me it is the second most important factor behind smell in me purchasing fragrances. Yet if it smells amazing and lasts 4 hours I will not purchase, that's how the fragrance game goes for me.

I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    It depends on the fragrance that is being considered. Some people do choose to carry a pocket bottle or decant. However, if I'm spending top dollar on a fragrance I expect a longevity that would not require myself to do so.

Sound Scents

This is more important to some folks than others. I near always focus my primary attention on the scent alone, but those rare fragrances that smell truly great while additionally providing outstanding longevity are something special.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

For me, the OP's thread question doesn't factor in my purchasing any scent for my collection.

It is boring and tiresome to have to bring an atomizer with you all the time. I don't like to reapply perfume all the time. I like longevity.

Something that smells good, and something that's worth buying are not always the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    +1

If I am paying good money for something, I expect it to last considerable time.

Perhaps you're not aware that spraying again means starting over with the top notes, then transitioning to the heart again before finally reaching the base notes (again). If you're into linear scents, I suppose it's fine to spray again and again through the day as your scent goes from strong to weak. I enjoy scents that develop as the hours pass. Versace Dreamer, Interlude Man, L'Air du Desert Marocain, I could go on and on. These develop. They evolve, meaning, the scent changes over time. Sometimes, the base is the best part.

I have no interest in spraying fragrance every few hours due to poor performance. There are thousands of fragrance options. Why waste my money on one that doesn't last?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by SR009 View Post
    I am quite confused about this. It seems that many people are concerned about longevity of perfume and it is a major factor when people consider how good a fragrance is. Why not just buy some empty sprayers? I have a bunch of them (one for each fragrance - you may need to label them if you have a collection) and they are real cheap. They are smaller than the size of your index finger and can fit into your pocket very easily. Just spray your fragrance into the encapsuled bottle and you are set for a week. So for me, the only factor for considering a fragrance is how they smell. Of course, smell is a subjective matter, but my point is, longevity should not be your concern, and at the very least it should not be your main concern, when you select fragrances.

Who wants to reapply perfume all day?

For some of my frags, when I reapply, I seem to get a much different scent. And the more often I reapply, the more dramatic the change. It's not that the scent only gets stronger, but it seems to change entirely, and not in a good way. Some of my frags seem to lose their openness, airiness and complexity and start moving towards a bit of a smouldering mess. On top of that, I am generally not a top notes kinda guy.

1. You want to experience the scent on your self all day to enjoy it.
    2. You don't want to carry sprayers all the time.
    3. A fragrance with bad longevity feels like a rip off.
    4. There are thousands of fragrances with good longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    For some of my frags, when I reapply, I seem to get a much different scent. And the more often I reapply, the more dramatic the change. It's not that the scent only gets stronger, but it seems to change entirely, and not in a good way. Some of my frags seem to lose their openness, airiness and complexity and start moving towards a bit of a smouldering mess. On top of that, I am generally not a top notes kinda guy.
    Exactly.

When you apply a scent, you first get top notes. Then it evolves into its heart. Then it transitions into its base.

When you re-apply a scent, you're creating a mix of new fragrance - beginning with top notes again - on top of worn fragrance, which has transitioned into its heart or base. You can't spray on more base notes when you reach the base and want more. You have to add an entire fragrance composition of top/heart/base. Some people will never be able to understand that. Others haven't developed their sense of smell enough to notice. And then again, with some fragrances it won't even matter because the mix will still smell great. With other fragrances, especially fragrances with complex or dramatic transitions, as you (Mtnbkr123) point out, the mix doesn't work.

For me, 8 hours is the cutoff point for a purchase. If I get less than 8 hours of longevity, a scent would really have to leave me absolutely amazed before I'd consider buying it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Perhaps you're not aware that spraying again means starting over with the top notes, then transitioning to the heart again before finally reaching the base notes (again). If you're into linear scents, I suppose it's fine to spray again and again through the day as your scent goes from strong to weak. I enjoy scents that develop as the hours pass. Versace Dreamer, Interlude Man, L'Air du Desert Marocain, I could go on and on. These develop. They evolve, meaning, the scent changes over time. Sometimes, the base is the best part.

I have no interest in spraying fragrance every few hours due to poor performance. There are thousands of fragrance options. Why waste my money on one that doesn't last?
    good points.

It is very subjective, but for me I want a good fragrance and I want it to last. It is hard to carry an atomizer for every fragrance in my collection . It is time consuming .

A fragrance with short longevity is like doing a line of coke or a shot of tequila. It's great for a few minutes that it lasts but then you are always jonesing for more. If someone feels like a scent is that valuable then so be it but I demand a better overall experience.

These days you will be lucky to get 2/3 hrs of good performance from most Designer (and some niche) brands. I hardly think that people find this acceptable.

Cheap thrills at a high price are what the perfume houses are pushing. Don't buy into it.

Designer fragrances are constantly being reformulated and cheapened, and diluted. Yet the price never drops. The cost of making them is minimal compared to the price paid. I personally want longevity or I don't buy. There are exceptions of course, mostly for citrus based scents but on the whole, if it does not last, I do not buy anymore.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Plus

It should only be a factor if you let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    If I am paying good money for something, I expect it to last considerable time.
    Absolutely. Like most here I am not opposed to spending more for a good fragrance. However, my definition of "good" includes longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Exactly.

When you apply a scent, you first get top notes. Then it evolves into its heart. Then it transitions into its base.

When you re-apply a scent, you're creating a mix of new fragrance - beginning with top notes again - on top of worn fragrance, which has transitioned into its heart or base. You can't spray on more base notes when you reach the base and want more. You have to add an entire fragrance composition of top/heart/base. Some people will never be able to understand that. Others haven't developed their sense of smell enough to notice. And then again, with some fragrances it won't even matter because the mix will still smell great. With other fragrances, especially fragrances with complex or dramatic transitions, as you (Mtnbkr123) point out, the mix doesn't work.

For me, 8 hours is the cutoff point for a purchase. If I get less than 8 hours of longevity, a scent would really have to leave me absolutely amazed before I'd consider buying it.

Thank you Sir. I am flattered to read that.

FWIW, I notice it most with Fahrenheit. On initial spraying the scent is incredibly "open" and "airy" and so unbelievably complex. I suspect that the more linear and simple a fragrance is, the less likelihood for problems on reapplication. That's my experience anyway. Out of everything I own, I think Fahrenheit is the most complex and least linear. Hence the problems on reapplication.

As for using atomizers, there are problems, at least for me. I have 2 different kinds -- the kind from Sephora where you spray the fragrance into it by pumping the sprayer on the bottle, and the kind from fragrancenet.com where you fill it using the stem on the bottle. I waste a ton using the Sephora one (and I mean a TON), and much less but still some using the fragrancenet.com one. Plus, for some frags, you can't use either because of the bottle design (e.g. A*Men and all the flankers). Plus, I have no idea what happens when the fragrance is exposed to air long before it is sprayed on my skin, but I can't imagine that being a good thing. Neutral at best. I have almost given up on atomizers and just tote bottles around to work and in my vehicle on weekends. I almost wish I would have bought 50ml or less bottles for this very reason.

I guess I can try the cheap plastic key chain atomizers. I suspect there will be some waste with those as well.

Longevity and projection problems are pretty much deal breakers for me now.

I can like and appreciate scents without factoring in longevity (for example I like Frapin 1270) but from a practical point of view I'm not going to buy a bottle of something that disappears from my skin quicker than Houdini, so invariably longevity and even silage factor in to practicality and purchasing.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Well put --->>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubirosa View Post
    1. You want to experience the scent on your self all day to enjoy it.
    2. You don't want to carry sprayers all the time.
    3. A fragrance with bad longevity feels like a rip off.
    4. There are thousands of fragrances with good longevity.
    Still have a doubt?