Code of Conduct

Default What has joining Basenotes taught you about your tastes?

Before I joined BN, I only had weak projecting fresh stuff.

Since joining, I've learned

What chypres are, and that I like them
    What fougeres are, and that I don't like them
    My sweet tooth in food has carried over into fragrances
    I have a liking for Verbena, Vetiver, Carnation, Tobacco and Sandalwood notes

What have you learnt?
    Last edited by andym72; 31st January 2014 at 07:51 PM.

Default Re: What has joining Basenotes taught you about your tastes?

Basenotes has taught me to appreciate a wider spectrum of notes and accords in fragrances and is also largely responsible for having my collection expand exponentially over the last seven years.

(3649)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Basenotes has taught me to appreciate a wider spectrum of notes and accords in fragrances and is also largely responsible for having my collection expand exponentially over the last seven years.

(3649)
    Yes this plus an ever expanding olfactory registry mode overload has overpriced my taste buds to the moon and make it seemed like peanuts to satisfy this craving for next big thing ...so yeah my registries are more refine and ever changing to a degree and in my part I've learned to balance my patience at not over stressing a L'ouevre juice and becoming desensitize to its masterful blend by over using and instead rotating it with others in my collection and this advice is the best that I can afford to others that have arrive to a Sort of holy grail find
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I've learned loads from many of the people here. Mainly, my tastes have just expanded immensely. Some things I learned:

- what a chypre is, and that I like it.
    - that leather is a note in perfume, and that it's one of my favorites
    - that I actually do like patchouli, I was just conditioned to think I didn't by all the negative "hippie" connotations
    - that "gourmand" is a thing in perfume, and that I don't like it
    - that rose isn't as boring as I thought it was
    - that I don't care if a perfume is meant for men or women. If it smells good, I'll take it.

One thing that basenotes taught me is that we often agree to disagree.

Well I definitley knew nothing about vetiver before. Now, it's one of my favorite notes.. so distinctive.

I also used to think that the word "cologne" specifically meant men's fragrance, and "perfume" meant women's. Now I know this is just referring to the concentration of the fragrance.

I'd say in general, before I joined, I just just a regular guy who liked to smell good, I knew the basic notes that anybody knew, citrus, woods, spice, musk, etc. Now since broadening my horizons, I can pretty much pick out almost every note in a scent; not just in fragrance, in body sprays, in air fresheners, scented candles, deodorants, etc. It's a passion, and it's a part of my life now.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

It opened my eyes to the vast breadth of fragrances and houses that I would have never known existed. However, as far as my tastes, it hasn't moved them much at all -- I still like the same types, and I am still turned off by the same ones. However, I don't wear fragrances to train my nose to various nuances, or to experience the scent evolving as it dries down, or bask in the perfumer's brilliance in whatever -- I judge a scent by how much I enjoy the smell. Do I find myself sniffing it a lot? Does it make me smile? The same things that triggered those reactions when i started are still doing it now.

Wow. So much.

- as mentioned above, that perfume is rarely gender specific for me...
    - that dirty can be beautiful and I am drawn to the dirty...
    - that spraying something in dutyfree, smelling once and buying is insane. The accepted 3-tiered scaffolding of notes, and exploring the issues of projection, sillage, and longevity across the full trajectory of a fragrance is really the most interesting part of the journey for me...
    - that most of what that lady at the Creed counter in Neiman Marcus told me was a lie. But that yes, Virginia, I do like Aventus.
    - that I need not fear synthetics; they are neither bad nor good... just different and perhaps necessary... the same with "all naturals"...
    - that its worth seeking out rare gems from indie and niche fragrance houses that would otherwise never have been discovered without basenotes
    - that I can never get enough, and will ultimately be both poorer and richer because of this addiction, all thanks to basenotes.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 31st January 2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII Puredistance M, Black Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange Knize Ten Golden L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! TF Noir de Noir Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin Nicoli NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial Chanel Sycomore Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete MFK Oud Cashmere Mood Ormonde Jayne Man

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I'd say in general, before I joined, I just just a regular guy who liked to smell good
    I still am just a regular guy who likes to smell good. The difference now is I have a much better idea of what smells good for me.

I definitely would not consider myself part of the perfuminati...

That there are an infinite number of notes/compositions/frags. Also that I have a pretty untrained nose as I mostly just like mainstream designer stuff. But most of all, how to substantially shrink my bank accounts!

I've learned that perfume is made up of notes and that these notes fall into quite a few different groups.

I've learned that though two perfumes have exactly the same notes, they can smell completely different.

I've learned that perfumerie is an art-form.

I learned that there is such a thing as top, heart and base notes and that each of these stages are drastically different.

I've learned that my tastes change very quickly largely dependent upon exposure.

I've learned that I do, after all, enjoy rose scented perfume.

I've learned that scent doesn't need to be gender specific.

And soooooo many more things than those I've listed.

I've learned a lot from individuals who've chosen to contribute online. To places like basenotes & other blogs.
    I am grateful.

for swap/sale:

That I mostly enjoy wood and vetiver-based fragrances. Also, my tastes are sometimes rather pricy lol.

It taught me that my taste can differ to what most would consider a good scent.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Also, my tastes are sometimes rather pricy lol.
    This for sure, which seems consistent with my tastes in everything else. And I doubt I'd have 80% of my collection were it not for the good people on BN to inform me.

Blog Entries

(I wish this thread was in 'General Discussion'.)

I've learned SO much about how to identify notes and what I like and don't like. This has helped shape my collection. I THINK it has saved me some money. When I started I had no idea which scents to try, but gradually I figured out what I preferred, through trial and error, through research here on BN.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    It opened my eyes to the vast breadth of fragrances and houses that I would have never known existed. However, as far as my tastes, it hasn't moved them much at all -- I still like the same types, and I am still turned off by the same ones. However, I don't wear fragrances to train my nose to various nuances, or to experience the scent evolving as it dries down, or bask in the perfumer's brilliance in whatever -- I judge a scent by how much I enjoy the smell. Do I find myself sniffing it a lot? Does it make me smile? The same things that triggered those reactions when i started are still doing it now.
    This kinda sums it up for me as well.

I have learned that my innate ability to like the most expensive shoes, clothes, furniture, houses and beauty products also carries over into fragrance. I don't have to work at it, I just know that if you put a whole selection in front of me to choose from the one I like will be the one that I can't afford.

I have also learned that I really don't care for an awful lot of 'women's' fragrances and find them thoroughly uninteresting.

And that I like vetiver, leather, woods, patchouli and musk and am quite happy to have them without much of the fluffy floral or fruity topping that accompanies them in many women's perfumes.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    (I wish this thread was in 'General Discussion'.)
    If any of the mods are reading this thread, please move it as suggested by kumquat.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Niche!!
    I only knew about Creed..

Amber based fragrances are manly!!

I used to own 2-3 designer fragrances at a time and when one ran out I would replace it with whatever caught my eye at the department store. Through BN and sampling I have discovered many notes such as sandalwood, patchouli, tobacco, vanilla, fig, rose and jasmine. I now sample several similar scents before making a buying decision. I am more satisfied with my choices now that I am more educated and experienced.

It's taught me about a bunch of houses, but not really my tastes.

It hasn't taught me anything about my tastes. What it has done since I joined is help me understand why I like what I do. It has been an interesting learning experience. I have been into cologne for a very long time. I did not pause to think what notes went into a scent. How it is made, where everything comes from. I have also had my horizons expanded. I am aware of many more houses and scents to explore. Couple all of that with the review sites and my own research, I feel I have learned quite a bit. A tip of the hat to all who contribute their knowledge here!!!!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

That leaning on other members responses on scents have proven immeasurable in my fragrance journey. I look forward each and every day to choose and enjoy selections that I wouldn't have imagined before without the viable input from all Basenoters

Basenotes Plus

I didn't know anything about perfume before Basenotes. I honestly don't think I would have gotten into this Hobby without BN and the internet. Although I gotta give Frangantica some credit too - a lot of good stuff there too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of my favorite scents are from top distinct groups : Oriental Woody and Oriental Spicy. Found that out from a basenoter in my first few weeks here. Then I found out about Fragrantica and found they had broken scents down into many groups. Now two valuable resources for my scent scent needs. Still in all fairness, it all began at Basenotes.net.
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants. - LT

It's taught me that I'm prone to buying too much and having to sell it off in waves. Then I buy again, and sell. I do love me a gourmand, though.

1- That my sweet tooth has carried over to fragrances (I drink my coffee with 3 sugar and i want my scent to be the same way lol)

2- To always test for myself and not fall of the hype.

3- That i freakin love violet leaves and i need to explore more scents based purely on that note.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

That I have a weakness for excellent and very expensive fragrances.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I learned from such wealth of knowledge:

- this going against a lot of basenote preferences for strong, projecting fragrances: I go against the flow; I like fragrances that are fleeting and barely there (I am not talking about the scrubby soapy clean scent that plague the market);
    - I like fragrances that are garden inspired, vegetal, herbal, sometimes harsh to the nose on the opening but dreamy in the drydown
    - I also like spicy fragrances with notes of cumin, cardamon, thyme, anise, ginger, saffron :P
    - My favorite flowers are roses, jasmin and ylang-ylang
    - I can't tolerate too much rubber/platicky notes inherent in a lot of designer fragrances
    - I don't like fruity florals/selected gourmands except coco mademoiselle and angel edp/edt
    - I have no problem reapplying my fragrances throughout the day

I have learned that I had no real knowledge of perfume prior to coming here apart from the fact that I had an interest in it.

I have also learned to appreciate some offerings I would not have previously if it was not for the advice and opinions of the good people here.

But the main thing I've learned is that I still have much to learn in the future.

I havent learned anything as I just joined today; moreover, the last six years cologne and frags have become an addiction. My knowledge is above beginner. More like intermediate or advanced.
    So we'll see if I can learn a thing or two here. Especially in the Niche category, and certain frags I would have to import. Afterall you never stop learning right.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Michael ♌

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    That I have a weakness for excellent and very expensive fragrances.
    +1 so true haha

I have learned not to blind buy cheap frags just because some people like them. I have learned to stay away from TJMax and other stores that sell overstock designer fragrances. And I have learned that higher prices do not mean the scent is better...but I have also learned that a true quality scent will not be cheap. But since I am cheap, I have learned to keep a list of scents that I really want and to wait for a sale.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

BN has taken me from Lacoste PH to Clive Christian "C" and damn near everything in between! Because of you, I'm sooooo cultivated, happy
    And BROKE AS A CONVICT! Now, let me off this damn merry-go-round!!!!
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Gucci II, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: Bergamote 22/Verdon Au Toilette.

Fortunate to be living in these times with the Internet. My purchasing experience prior to BNs was asking the SA what she thought smelled good. BNs help me gain knowledge, sample, and build a solid collection.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest--Benjamin Franklin
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

To not get fully addicted and stay below 30 bottles.

Nothing, really. My tastes are pretty much the same, I'm just a lot better informed on where to look for the really good stuff. Basenotes is like a big online mail-order catalogue / archive with the benefit of a few intelligent individuals offering insight and direction - to them I'm really grateful.

Taste-wise not so much, but a whole lot of background information and even some great deals in the marketplace. Also BN got me over the vanity of buying retail while on a student budget, for which I will be eternally grateful.

(thescentedsalamander's serge lutens reviews truly inculcated some taste in me, starting around 4 or so years ago)

It has taught me I like woody and oriental scents.

It has also reminded me of my love for Oud; having gone on a mad rollercoaster of purchasing anything with Oud in the name (and realising that the vast majority are poor synthetic renditions of the real Oud, just cashing in) - I have now ended up back where I started many many years ago; Oud oils. However the main difference this time is that now I'm looking at pure oils.

I've learned so much that it's hard to list them all, and my wardrobe has grown significantly since discovering these forums two years ago.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Basically everything I now understand about fragrance. Everything.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Apart from the fact that my fragrance tastes are (and gradually become) very costly, that I enjoy niche but that certain designer scents wonderfully stand out, that vintage, chypre and powerhouse fragrances rank among my favorites but still can get occasionally "bitten by the gourmand bug", that most fragrances are unisex, to wear almost anything I like, at almost any time of the day, on any occasion and during any season, but most importantly that I got to enrich my knowledge with fragrance insight from a wonderfully like-minded community.