Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many do you have? Have you set a limit? Have you surpassed it?

Hi Guys, a topic that has been discussed in various forms, but just thought it was an interesting discussion.

I'm sure most of us, once said "I'll never have more than 20." then 30, 40 50 and so on. I currently have 38 and it's a pretty good number and I wear and really like everything I have. I see my collection as always sitting between 30 and 50 just because that's right for me.

How many do you own and are you trying to reduce or happy to increase? Is that a 'Sweet spot' number for you?

Cheers
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Default Re: How many do you have? Have you set a limit? Have you surpassed it?

At this moment, 1,460 large bottles soon to go up to 1,472 with no end yet in sight.

Post Thanks / Like

No no
    No no no no
    No no no no....

(one for fans of 90's Europop)

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Setting limits will never work. I currently sit at 33, and for most people that is plenty; for some collectors that may not even scratch the surface. There are always more fragrances that I want and some fragrance that I own that I'm beginning to get tired of. There are some fragrances that I give most of my attention to, and some that are neglected. But I am always searching for new scents, so I think my number will only grow with time- though contigent on my disposable income. Keep buying until you can't buy anymore or just get sick of them.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    No no
    No no no no
    No no no no....

(one for fans of 90's Europop)
    no no there's no limit ...

Post Thanks / Like

Never had any limit, but also try not to focus on certain figures. In other words, whenever I like a fragrance and am able to buy it, I tend to pay less attention as to how this new purchase is going to increase the fragrance count in my wardrobe.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Around 200 at present - continually and gradually on the increase with no limitations.

I don´t wanna go beyond 100. I am almost reaching that number and I am already planning to sell some of my less used bottles.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I am at around 165 bottles with no limit except for the space I have to put them in. If a given fragrance smells good and I am not bankrupt it is fair game for addition to my collection.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Over 300!! Just bought used back ups of dunhill desire and desire blue. Acqua di gio essenza (blind buy). Ysl jazz. Small bottle of eternity and a niche sample lot from ebay!!!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is really timely. I was just asking myself this question yesterday . . . right after I bought 100mls of Clive Christian X and a 100mls of Amouage Beloved Man (Bergdorf had $200.00 off if you spent $1000.00- it seemed like a good deal). Last year I swore that I would stop at 30 bottles max- I am now at 42 and I still have about 10 bottles on my "Strong Interest" list. By my calculations, if I use 3-4 sprays of the approximately 4000mls of fragrance that I have, 365 days a year . . . I will have enough juice for 36.53 years. I don't know if this is ever going to stop!

Post Thanks / Like

just 150 different scents and considering backup bottles would be around 180, but I NEVER EVER want to go up beyond 200.
    but that's what I try, however sometimes just can't help it!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ScentAddicted View Post
    This thread is really timely. I was just asking myself this question yesterday . . . right after I bought 100mls of Clive Christian X and a 100mls of Amouage Beloved Man (Bergdorf had $200.00 off if you spent $1000.00- it seemed like a good deal). Last year I swore that I would stop at 30 bottles max- I am now at 42 and I still have about 10 bottles on my "Strong Interest" list. By my calculations, if I use 3-4 sprays of the approximately 4000mls of fragrance that I have, 365 days a year . . . I will have enough juice for 36.53 years. I don't know if this is ever going to stop!
    simply you can help with increasing the number of sprays!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

I'm at about sixty, and would like to cut it down to under 40 actual bottles. Going forward I will be buying mainly decants, and won't cap myself on those purchases since they are so much smaller than full bottles.

I can't say I really have a limit in mind. Right now I think I have 28 or 29 bottles, with a few other smaller decants and stuff that I do wear fairly often. I tend to just buy what I want and know that if I love it, I'll have it for years and years to come.
    Fragrance blog returning in May 2014!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScentAddicted View Post
    I love the fact that you actually calculated that lol
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Post Thanks / Like

If i hit 100 i will happily let my missus control my money spending. Too much imo.

Post Thanks / Like

100 is a good limit to start with if it includes both designer and niche, then with more experience you will be able to streamline and get more picky and land somewhere around 30-50 bottles. During this time you will also have acquired 100-200 samples.

I am a few bottles shy of hitting 100 and I have at least another 100 bottles that I will eventually purchase in the future.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Mine's been 15-20 full-size commercial bottles (excluding back-ups), for the last five years, and I refuse to budge from that self-imposed limit. For me, it's not about quantity but complementary quality.

Post Thanks / Like

366, one for every day of the year and one for luck. Probably more actually since a few obscure ones weren't on the Basenotes database. There was someone on eBay recently selling off the perfumes of a "deceased shopaholic". Makes you wonder how many you'll leave behind. I 'need' about 3 or 4 more. I guess I may have said that last year though!

I have around 25 bottles, but I've already sold some and plan on selling more... and buying more... but it seems like 20 to 25 is where my collection will be staying. I only own them to wear them, so if I don't find myself wearing one, I'd rather sell it or swap it for something I would wear. Lalique White is a good example. I really like it, but I never reach for it, so I'm planning on selling or swapping it. I'm actually working on compiling a list of what I want to get rid of and what I'd like to swap for.

25 bottles is more than enough for me.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Currently 12. Strictly no more than 15. One in/one out policy.

I have 29 bottles. I only currently have a few in sight, and only a very strong on one fragrance. Although, I have several other collections eating away at my money... Especially the watch collection.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't counted mine for a year , but I know I am around 300. I want to sell the ones I am not using , and I have few on the list to purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to know how many I have since the day I got past 100.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

As the saying "sky is the limit", for all BN Hednic's the limit

I am looking to stop at around 365 and from then on buy only once a bottle's MTY - so got around 50-60 more from so many wonderful yet to buy frags

I once set a limit at 30 but am now over the 90 mark.

I think I will find a balance between not having enough bottles and becoming over familiar with my favourites (got to maintain the buzz) and having too many with too little time to enjoy what I have.

When that might happen I don't want to predict.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I don´t wanna go beyond 100. I am almost reaching that number and I am already planning to sell some of my less used bottles.
    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I have around 25 bottles, but I've already sold some and plan on selling more... and buying more... but it seems like 20 to 25 is where my collection will be staying. I only own them to wear them, so if I don't find myself wearing one, I'd rather sell it or swap it for something I would wear. Lalique White is a good example. I really like it, but I never reach for it, so I'm planning on selling or swapping it. I'm actually working on compiling a list of what I want to get rid of and what I'd like to swap for.

Our philosophies are the same, but my number is 30. That's my comfort zone. Anymore and I feel I'm wasting money and juice.

Purchased 130 bottles last year. Hoping to buy much less this year. Much much less...

Post Thanks / Like

I seriously need to trim my collection of about 75 bottles. I have a lot of junk purchassed cheaply at TJMax and the like and some blind buys that simply don't do it for me. I am now a lot more selective and buying mostly niche and high end scents. Best advice I have to new collectors is to sample a lot and only buy what you know you love. Although there are exceptions to my philosophy, fragrances are a lot like tattoos where it is said that a good tattoo is not cheap and a cheap tattoo is not good. Save your money and get something good.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not counted in many years, but I am guessing about 500. I do not set limits on the number of bottles, but I do plan to have a purge this year of bottles I am no longer wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I have not counted in many years, but I am guessing about 500. I do not set limits on the number of bottles, but I do plan to have a purge this year of bottles I am no longer wearing.

did basenotes.net exist in 1970? How did u get that join date? I want one like that

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea why that date shows up... I know for sure I joined some time after 2005.

Post Thanks / Like

My collection is right at 60, and Im crazy about each frag, so the number wont be going down. Ill dont think Ill ever get to 100 though. Maybe. Probably will. Damn it.

I have bottles of 82 different fragrances, and that's not counting backups and variations like edt, edp and parfum. I think I have too many and am continuing to gradually sell some of them. I don't know what the ideal number would be, but it feels great to be downsizing.
    Last edited by MorganFay; 20th April 2013 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

Very similar for me. I don't have a hard limit or anything, but it just seems that my comfort zone is around 25-30. I've gotten to the point in my fragrance journey where I'll only buy a bottle of something if I absolutely love it and know I'll wear it fairly often. With a fairly "picky" nose (I almost never like frags with incense for example) and somewhat tight budget where I don't like to spend more than $125-$150/bottle, I just can't see myself adding too many more. Plus, if I do find myself rarely, or never using something after a while, I'll swap or sell it. So, over time, a few will come in, a few will go out, and I'll very likely stay in that 25-30 range for quite a while. Again, it's not a hard-line number, just sort of a "sweet spot" I've found works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, one of the first threads I started - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/237...ort?highlight=

I think I'm at around 70-80 full retail bottles now and will hit about 100 before I'm done, and then the plan is to wear everything and cut the collection back to about 40-50 or best case 25-30, but i wouldn't mind as many as 50 really. I probably have another 50x30ml decants and 50-75x10ml decants I'm not counting so it's quite a large collection. I'm sort of looking forward to stopping the 'gathering' phase and moving into the 're-evaluate' phase.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

I have well over 100, but I just gave my wife the go ahead to list at least half of my Bonds on ebay. I will never sell any of the Amouage, Creed, or Guerlains that I have acquired.

Post Thanks / Like

life's too short to set limit
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Looking at most of the other posts, it seems that I'm not a serious collector. That's fine - I cannot cope with more than a handful of bottles at a time as I get confused and end up not wearing anything at all! I did go up to about 40 samples at one point but I think that was a reflection of my journey with fragrances - working out what I liked and did not like.

Now I'm settled in terms of notes that I want to wear, I mainly stay within those categories and am a little more discriminating.

Post Thanks / Like

my focus is on de-cluttering..anyway I'm slowing down...but becaming more and more selective..the distinguished gentleman needs at least 50 scents in his wardrobe IMO!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a collection of over 40 bottles now and I am not willing to destroy my enthusiasm by limiting myself though I sample a lot more before buying.

TLS

You're crazy guys. i like you, but you're crazy..

20/25 is a sweet spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spacerace14 View Post
    You're crazy guys. i like you, but you're crazy..

20/25 is a sweet spot.
    gues you are right..scent freaks..scent junkies!

Post Thanks / Like

For me limiting myself is part if the fun. Having to wait for things I want makes it far more aspirational for me. Looking forward to buying is almost as much fun as the actual purchase
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I have around 120, and 3 more coming in the next month. I'd ideally like to get below 50 but I doubt that will happen. More money than sense springs to mind!
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hundreds of decants I am working though. About 10 bottles per seasonal rotation = 40 in active duty. About 50 bottles of backups of discontinued scents. The sky's the limit.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have about 30 bottles with maybe 30+ decants of 10ml+ along with hundreds of samples and smaller decants. I really think decants/splits are the way to go...it allows for variety.

I've decided to limit purchases to what I have in my Paypal account (proceeds from sales here or on other forums). I'm able to still acquire quite a few bottles by organizing splits.

I'll also echo what others have mentioned....sampling is the way to go and the best practice would be to sample, then purchase a decant and then a FB....note that I don't follow my own advice ;-)