Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Small But Perfectly Formed?

Do you think it's possible to have a small but versatile wardrobe?

I reached two-hundred bottles of perfume awhile ago (not including backup bottles). I currently have 231 bottles having bought 100 + bottles over the last year and a half. I don't regret my purchases but I'm not happy having that many perfumes.

I would like to get down to maybe 20 to 30, no more than 50 bottles. I still wish to keep some versatility in my wardrobe but I'm not sure how easy that would be with 20 bottles.

I've come to believe that my wardrobe should be made up of my absolute favorite perfumes. Those scoring four stars or more on L'enfer's scale of five. The rest will be given away to friends and afterwards maybe even to people on Basenotes?

Your tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

What I've Been Wearing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Small But Perfectly Formed?

I think that it is perfectly plausible to have a versatile wardrobe at under 50. I started out wanting no more than 12 bottles, but when I made a list of all the ones I wanted to do a FB purchase, the number was closer to 20. And even at 20, I feel like there are so many more gaps I want to fill, spectrum wise. I mean it's one thing to have a collection. If you're just collecting, go crazy! But if you want to use most of your fragrance, and in time, you would have to narrow down your choices to ones that won't be a waste of your time to wear.

Reading this: http://www.nstperfume.com/2008/08/19...llection-last/ and being someone who wants to actually USE my perfume, made me really want to have a modest (as in Basenote modest not real-life modest) collection of usable perfume.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of thoughts...
    Perhaps imagine those frags that remain acquaintances, those you got closer to and then rejected, and those that have become friends--some close, some very close, and some BFFs. I guess this would not represent versatility necessarily, but as VP suggested, some that fit the versatility niche might not be a good use of your Perfumed Time.
    Here's another approach: While that FB can be exciting in and of itself, it's a lot cheaper to buy minis or decants. I forget the number of spritzes per mL, but a 50mL bottle would take most of us a number of months to use up. I admit that I miss part of the experience by not having the bottle associated with a fragrance, but I don't think it's enough of a loss to break the bank and/or feel guilty about. But that's just me.
    Finally, thinking hard about what you own and what you like is, I'd say, a nice process--regardless of your choices.
    cheers,
    tim

Post Thanks / Like

I think that you ought to start slowly and just get rid of one every few weeks. Then step back and get a feel for having less. There are so many fragrances launched every year; it seems impossible that the majority of them could be exceptional. In fact, I suspect that a lot of what is out there is simply dreck. I don't have many different perfumes because I'm a newbie, but I used to collect books. After some years I realized that I would never read 98% of those books again so I started donating them to libraries, schools, individuals, etc. Of course, books & perfume are completely different, but the act of collecting is about the same no matter what item is being sought. By the way, Down and out in Paris and Londonis one of my favorite books

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    Do you think it's possible to have a small but versatile wardrobe?
    Sure. It just depends on one's priorities. Every person is different, but everything is valid.

Post Thanks / Like

I've come to believe that my wardrobe should be made up of my absolute favorite perfumees.
    completely agree with you.
    the two hundred & something FBs I own are favorites.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all very much for replying I'll reply fully when I have more time. =]
    What I've Been Wearing:

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, I guess that there few or no preset, predetermined rules. Yet, if the wardrobe is to be kept (at least reasonably, comparatively) small, buying 1-2 scents each from the few fragrance houses truly enjoyed, not just occasionally liked, the main scent note groups (however, without paying attention to the nearly countless subdivisions, subcategories etc., yet focusing on more on "basic" accords, mixes and categories) and a few other very targeted and very precise criteria may be a start.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but at the moment I'm still fairly new to this and can enjoy perfumes that are just good/fun at times. I'm trying to slim down (after noticing that I had not 100 perfumes but more like 150) but it's not that easy and I don't want to sell something, then crave it later.

My partner, who only has a few very tasty niche perfumes, claims that one should only keep a few that one really loves but I'm not sure if I'd entirely agree. Just like I listen to music at times that isn't fantastic but entertains me for different reasons, a less than great perfume can still be fun/come in handy. Indeed I wonder that if one slims down to only a few excellent perfumes if one could not lose a bit of joy/starts to take things too seriously. On the other hand, how often do you really want to smell like One Man Show Gold, which is a good example of what I've described, not great, but kinda funny/entertaining. It's one I'm selling now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. I've managed to give away 50 or so bottles and the hardship begins trying to cut down to 100 bottles by the weekend.
    What I've Been Wearing:

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. I've managed to give away 50 or so bottles and the hardship begins trying to cut down to 100 bottles by the weekend.
    You are really making headway. Best wishes to you

Post Thanks / Like

1) I think you should keep them all and store them well, and only bring out those few that you want in the current season's rotation, like the Japanese do with their art. You have that many fragrances for a reason, I presume because you are a collector. I would only purge those you know you have no interest in ever wearing again, unless they are historic or otherwise collectible items.

2) Yes, I believe one can have a small, perfect wardrobe. I aspire to that ideal -- but I am easily distracted from my goals (almost typed gaols! Freudian slip! I won't wax on about how goals can be gaols, I promise. ). Fifty is a good number to start with. I would like to get it down to about 18, a dozen and a half. Some day.

treeman5823

Best thread title I've seen in a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As long as storage isn't a problem, keep those you like. If you really don't wear something, get rid of it. I go through phases. I've lately decided I don't need anything else with incense. If I don't wear any of my perfumes with incense in them ever again, they may get the heave hoh, we'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to this journey, but in 4 months, I have added somewhere around 30 fragrances. I forsee more in my future. At this point, I realize that I don't want a whole lot more bottles. I've started to get more serious about buying decants instead of FB's. However, it's a discovery process and for now, I'm still learning about the varying categories, their various characteristics and performance and what I like and don't like.

I wonder if the early on 'going crazy' with the shopping is just part of the learning curve until you determine what you really like/dislike. Once you understand that, you can begin eliminating those that feel like duplicates, or what you just don't enjoy wearing. I see that process happening down the road for me.

I'm hoping I don't get as far as 200 bottles as I have no idea where I'd store such a collection.

Maybe it would help you to categorize your collection according to groups?

Cool Re: Small But Perfectly Formed?

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Maybe it would help you to categorize your collection according to groups?
    I think this is the way to go. Have set categories like morning, office, date, night-out, celebration.. then divide further into seasons (S/S, F/W).

I think this probably yields about 10 categories. However, being Basenoters, I doubt anyone would want to end up with ONLY a solitary winter date fragrance, so figure on having about, say, 3 options for each category. Now you have a wardrobe of about 30 choices with a lot of flexibility for any occasion. Large for the common person, but small for the average collector. I'd also think that a collection of this size gives people room to explore new scents without feeling guilty about their hobby becoming an obsession. It also means you can make significant progress on using up bottles!

Final note: I'd happily volunteer to take any of those extra bottles off your hands, as a poor grad student!