Code of Conduct

Default I need male fragrance recommendations based on some music and pictures I like.

Last edited by beleriand; 20th April 2013 at 01:35 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: I need male fragrance recommendations based on some music and pictures I like.

Curve.

Default Re: I need male fragrance recommendations based on some music and pictures I like.

Why the hostility? I'm just starting out. It makes more sense to describe a particular feel, than a particular scent, since I'm not familiar enough with notes to know what I'm looking for. It's easier to capture a certain atmosphere with music and images than with words.

Quote Originally Posted by beleriand View Post
    Why the hostility? I'm just starting out. It makes more sense to describe a particular feel, than a particular scent, since I'm not familiar enough with notes to know what I'm looking for. It's easier to capture a certain atmosphere with music and images than with words.
    Have I missed something? Where was the hostility? For my money, that was a slightly odd request - may I recommend going to a fragrance counter, sampling a few different scents and telling us about the ones you liked best? That way we can make better-informed recommendations. It's pretty much impossible to say what someone will like based on the music and pictures they like, I can't even imagine that there's a correlation.
    Smelling good on a budget!

Basenotes Plus

Curve, sweetie-pie.

I hope that's not as hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Have I missed something? Where was the hostility? For my money, that was a slightly odd request - may I recommend going to a fragrance counter, sampling a few different scents and telling us about the ones you liked best? That way we can make better-informed recommendations. It's pretty much impossible to say what someone will like based on the music and pictures they like, I can't even imagine that there's a correlation.
    Well, I was thinking someone might be able to recommend something that has the same sort of essence as that music. There is overlap between fragrance and other sorts of ideas. That's why there are fragrances for different seasons, or fragrances associated with different sorts of people - jocks or businessmen, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by beleriand View Post
    Well, I was thinking someone might be able to recommend something that has the same sort of essence as that music. There is overlap between fragrance and other sorts of ideas. That's why there are fragrances for different seasons, or fragrances associated with different sorts of people - jocks or businessmen, for instance.
    That's mostly down to marketing. The 'essence' of a fragrance with relation to music and images is completely subjective. What I think of when I listen to music or look at pictures will be completely different to the fragrances that come to mind for someone else, and even then, they may not be right for you. Seriously, my friend, go out and sample - that's the ONLY way to find frags that are going to make you happy.
    Smelling good on a budget!

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    may I recommend going to a fragrance counter, sampling a few different scents and telling us about the ones you liked best?
    Exactly

Drakkar Noir - Mysterious, dark, brooding, masculine.
    Polo Green - Masculine, rugged, rustic, outdoorsy.
    Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna - Rugged and very "Old-World European" scent, very smokey, masculine, and medieval smelling.

Might also look into Aramis.

I can't think of much in that spirit in mainstream. Mossy, woodsy, a little rough, gothic. As fan of devin was saying, some old powerhouses from the 80s might work a bit. But more in their vintage version that in their current one, which tends to be cleaner and more synthetic. Perhaps Yatagan might work. A very vegetal beginning, turning into a dark, slightly unsettling woody scent later. I also second Aramis 900 (or the regular Aramis, which is however very leathery and goth, rather than woody/foresty).

More to choose from in niche. The difficult to find Ormonde woman comes to mind (like entering a damp forest).

cacio

Blog Entries

Chanel Cuir de Russie?
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Czech & Speake No.88

It evokes that little medieval goth thing you're going for.