Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Damp, earthy, mushroom?

I thought Oakmoss but it's not 'dank' enough.
    Tried a few things together but although close with moss on a rotting log kind of smell just can't find that funghi.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.

Living in Wales might help......

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Damp, earthy, mushroom?

Mushroom = Cepes / Mushroom Abs. But be EXTREMELY careful with dosage, it's extremely potent.

Dirt = Mitti, Terrasol 50, Terranol, Geosmin

Earthy = Vetimoss, Valerian, Costus, Costausol, Mitti Vetiver
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Post Thanks / Like

Fungal and mushroomy smells are often provided by using Ketones. Ethyl Amyl Ketone, smells like blue cheese, to me (Danish Blue actually). Oct-1-en-3-one also smells like,mushrooms; as does the corresponding alcohol known as Amyl Vinyl Carbinol. For the dry dusty effect try Suederal or even gamma Methyl Ionone
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 20th April 2013 at 08:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both. Checking and reading up on all that will dispose of my evening definitely. Probably the next few days in reality.

Danish Blue sounds quite frightening. Probably needs a very little and a lot of balancing? Maybe beyond my capabilities and I really 'don't' want to waste anything. Slapped wrist elsewhere duly noted and meekly accepted David.
    I'll look at them all though.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Fungal and mushroomy smells are often provided by using Ketones. Ethyl Amyl Ketone, smells like blue cheese, to me (Danish Blue actually). Oct-1-en-3-one also smells like,mushrooms; as does the corresponding alcohol known as Amyl Vinyl Carbinol. For the dry dusty effect try Suederal or even gamma Methyl Ionone
    Interesting post this - I don't have Ethyl Amyl Ketone (aka 3-Octanone) but I do have Isobutyl Methyl Ketone and the more closely related 2-Octanone and your description immediately made me think of the latter - just like blue cheese - albeit stronger and not quite so lactonic. The IBMK incidentally isn't mushroomy but is another of the ketones present in lavender - it's glue-like in concentration, only becoming fruity and herbal in dilution.

I wouldn't have thought of using Suederal to give that dusty effect of something gone mouldy, but now that you've said it I can see that working well: something for me to experiment with, so thanks! A trace of norlimbanol might usefully contribute to that too.

For the dank, damp element I agree with Paul that terranol and geosmin are very hard to beat: the latter in particular gives you a strongly wet-soil effect in massive dilution.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    For the dank, damp element I agree with Paul that terranol and geosmin are very hard to beat: the latter in particular gives you a strongly wet-soil effect in massive dilution.
    Thank you. I think I'll start there. How massive a dilution would you suggest as a starting point please?

- - - Updated - - -

For the dry dusty effect try Suederal or even gamma Methyl Ionone
    As in kind of old coats stored in a Trunk in the Attic?
    I have an ambition to put together a Steampunk perfume. Ambition it is only though. I'm clearly not past ABC yet.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pickledtink View Post
    Thank you. I think I'll start there. How massive a dilution would you suggest as a starting point please?
    I have my geosmin at 0.2% in DPG / ethanol at the moment and I'm still finding that I need less than 1% in the concentrate to get a good effect.

As in kind of old coats stored in a Trunk in the Attic?
    I have an ambition to put together a Steampunk perfume. Ambition it is only though. I'm clearly not past ABC yet.
    Sounds like a great idea!
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 22nd April 2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: minor corrections
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Post Thanks / Like

When I used Geosmin I usually used a 0.01% or 0.1% solution; and found it more than strong enough.

Post Thanks / Like

It all sounds wonderful but after hours searching I can't find any of this in the UK for small amounts. Just a few at Perfumers Apprentice US and then only the Mushroom Abs, Costausol, Amyl Vinyl Carbinol and Suederal.
    The Valerian and Costus root are EO's I believe so should be able to get those. I can't find anything to even read about Terranol & Geosmin.Correction just found something on Geosmin which I now covet but nothing on where to find it.
    Apart from Olfactik in UK I've found nowhere for the likes of me to buy any synthetics and they have none of this.
    I've trawled this site too to no avail.
    I'll try adding Vetiver to the Base perhaps and Galbanum somewhere too.
    I'm starting to realise that I have a nose for rare whiffs and expensive tastes. Should have stuck to some citrus flowery woody thing. Cheap, easy to source..... but maybe less interesting....

This feels like a 6 year old sitting under the table with a box of Crayons listening to Picasso and Van Gough sharing a chat and glass of absinthe with Michaelangelo.
    I am also failing to discover how to achieve Bluebell which is in reality wild Hyacinth but much less heavy. I'm not asking though!

Post Thanks / Like

Hermitage has Suederal.

And a shed load of other new stuff in the 'New Lines' section. No Norlimbanol as yet, mind. I'm waiting for that before I put an order in.

http://www.hermitageoils.com/sale-sale-sale

-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Hermitage has Suederal.

And a shed load of other new stuff in the 'New Lines' section. No Norlimbanol as yet, mind. I'm waiting for that before I put an order in.

-
    Really? Brilliant. I've just spent ages on Hermitage but missed this. I'm going straight there to check new lines.
    Thanks muchly. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Costus root oil is banned by IFRA. IFF do a really good synthetic base called Costus Oliffac. (Costus Oil is not the same as Costausol, by the way). Useful if you want to make a Hyacinth/Bluebell accord as well as a Mushroom base. Also useful for Bluebell are Phenylacetaldehyde, Galbanum, Benzyl Acetate, Linalol, Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol, Heliotropin, Ionone, Cinnamic Alcohol, or Phenyl Propyl Alcohol, isoEugenol, Narcisse Abs, Styrax, and Dimethyl Hydroquinine (aka 1-4-Dimethoxy Benzene). Not that I'm telling though!!

Post Thanks / Like

2,2-dimethoxyethylbenzene

This sounds like a real possibility too.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to check the artisan section for other interesting things eg four synthetic sandalwood's and a range of musks.

Hermitage do requests if you ask them nicely, though I don't know if they can get geosmin. I might ask for some synthetic oud next payday. Can't find that anywhere else.

-

Post Thanks / Like

Costus root oil is banned by IFRA. IFF do a really good synthetic base called Costus Oliffac. (Costus Oil is not the same as Costausol, by the way). Useful if you want to make a Hyacinth/Bluebell accord as well as a Mushroom base. Also useful for Bluebell are Phenylacetaldehyde, Galbanum, Benzyl Acetate, Linalol, Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol, Heliotropin, Ionone, Cinnamic Alcohol, or Phenyl Propyl Alcohol, isoEugenol, Narcisse Abs, Styrax, and Dimethyl Hydroquinine (aka 1-4-Dimethoxy Benzene). Not that I'm telling though!!
    Again thanks. More homework but I'm starting to see the light. Some of those I already have marked down but where to get the stuff that's the problem. I saw somewhere that offered a sample service. I'll try and find it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to check the artisan section for other interesting things eg four synthetic sandalwood's and a range of musks.

Hermitage do requests if you ask them nicely, though I don't know if they can get geosmin. I might ask for some synthetic oud next payday. Can't find that anywhere else.

-
    Ta. Yes I've pored over the site and seen those but the trouble is I seem to be hunting for things which are not common and I have never used Synthetics before so I could make some very expensive screw ups here.
    unfortunately I've set my heart on making a specific smell which I am swiftly discovering is probably far too ambitious for my ability.
    Can't stop now though.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hermitage has Suederal.

-
    They also have Hydroxybenzaldehyde which has a sort of dead-leaves / mulch kind of smell that you might find very useful in your mushroom thing.
    Chris Bartlett

Post Thanks / Like

They also have Hydroxybenzaldehyde which has a sort of dead-leaves / mulch kind of smell that you might find very useful in your mushroom thing.
    Oh, thank you. Yes I saw that and wondered about it but I suppose it suggested Autumnal rather than Spring to me. I did have a moment of sheer dreamland when I considered an adjustment to make an Autumnal version.

Then I woke up.

The shopping list is getting a tad longer than the Bank Account can stand too.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

2,2-dimethoxyethylbenzene

This sounds like a real possibility too.
    It is - PADMA has a distinctly mushroom element - but it is also a huge green monster, so you'll need to use it with some caution or your whole fragrance will be overwhelmed with weeds.
    Chris Bartlett

Post Thanks / Like

It is - PADMA has a distinctly mushroom element - but it is also a huge green monster, so you'll need to use it with some caution or your whole fragrance will be overwhelmed with weeds.
    Sometimes it is said that a weed is only a flower in the wrong place.
    Anybody with a Migraine would be cured on instant in my garden consequently.
    B****y Feverfew everywhere.
    Likewise Ground Elder until I discovered it was a vegetable plant introduced by the Romans.
    So we ate it until it gave up.

Important point taken however, underlined in red - twice.