Code of Conduct

Thread: CdG Black .. ?

Default CdG Black .. ?

Just noticed this on the Luckyscent website here. Anyone tried?

Default Re: CdG Black .. ?

no not the same as the Play series!
    I posted about it here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/342...au-de-Toilette

and someone before me here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/335...-Garcons-Black

yet to try, but will definitely sample, the notes sound great

it's edt and 12% concentrated, so wonder how's the longevity of this will be
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Default Black

About to try it in london today.

Default Black

Liberty still hasn't got it yet.

really waiting for a review here

Anyone try it?

Mike Perez.....

for swap/sale:

I am going to order sample ...

Let us know,
    We're patiently waiting for a review.

In NYC Black CDG store on 10th ave has it, as well as Opening Ceremony.

Sounds a little like Terre d'Hermes or Malle Bois d'Orage or Divine L'Homme Infini or Byredo Sunday Cologne. Hope I'm wrong.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Just hope it's not another Amazingreen flop. Probably their worst to date.

The notes sound awesome. Can't wait to try it.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Sounds interesting

Looking forward to hearing some impressions
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Ordered a sample from LuckyScent (as our Barney's doesn't have the frag yet), but certainly looking forward to impressions meantime. Certainly seems promising, if not exactly outside CdG's wheelhouse.

I tried it at Scent Bar on Saturday (4/20). This is no flop - it's a return to old school CDG. It's a rich, complex incense/vetiver with plenty of smoke and a dash of leather. It reminded me quite a bit of Chanel Sycomore but with more depth and bite and even more smoke. If I didn't have so much Sycomore sitting on my closet shelf, I would have bought it on the spot.

socalwoman, thanks for the update! I'm so happy to hear your description of CDG Black. I ordered a full bottle after receiving LuckyScent's email blast yesterday and reading the notes. I have been on a huge CDG kick lately and just had to get a bottle. Unfortunately, LuckyScent is having issues with their shipment, which has now moved back to an estimated shipping time of Thursday. Sycomore + more depth + additional smoke and incense...um count me in. I really can't wait to receive this now.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I tried it at Scent Bar on Saturday (4/20). This is no flop - it's a return to old school CDG. It's a rich, complex incense/vetiver with plenty of smoke and a dash of leather. It reminded me quite a bit of Chanel Sycomore but with more depth and bite and even more smoke. If I didn't have so much Sycomore sitting on my closet shelf, I would have bought it on the spot.

I got a sample and i'm impressed. I get a smokey leather on top of cedar from it with a hint of black licorice. Possible fbw

Quote Originally Posted by Odorloader View Post
    I got a sample and i'm impressed. I get a smokey leather on top of cedar from it with a hint of black licorice. Possible fbw
    How's longevity/projection?

Quote Originally Posted by Odorloader View Post
    you had me at black licorice...damn it.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Also recently tried a sample sent to me with a purchase. Not bad.

for those who tried it... does it have anything in common with Bois d'Ascese ?

Been waiting a while to get my bottle, shipment from LuckyScent was delayed...2 more days I guess. Can't wait to try it.

NYC is getting 3 floors of CDG next year. Eat your hearts out

I found a decent review here, would like a man's perspective on this one though. Seems like it might be a bit dark for the woman seeking a new CDG unisex, unless you prefer something that's far from mild.

treeman5823

Yes. Nice from what I smelled--salty and smoky licorice.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Yes. Nice from what I smelled--salty and smoky licorice.

Makes it sound like salmiakki. Still need to try it.

I received my sample today. From a preliminary wear on my arm, I'm enjoying it. The first impression was almost "yummy," with licorice and black pepper (and even a bit of what seemed like clove) showing themselves early. The birch tar isn't as strong as I imagined, though it's there enough to impart a bit of charred-wood smokiness. An hour in, a dry cedar note familiar from other CdG fragrances (like Hinoki) has appeared. The overall feeling is warm, woody, a bit smokey, and dry. Not challenging and avant garde in the sense of CdG 2 Man, Artek, or Odeur 71, but certainly not generic-smelling either. Nor does it seem like a replica of other CdG scents, however much the elements sound familiar.

I'm enjoying it so far, and will need to spend a bit more time with the sample before deciding whether to buy a full bottle.

You say it doesn't compare to anything from CDG besides a few the cedar element in Hinoki. Can you compare it to anything outside of the house. I'm absolutely itching to get this, but it's coming from Cali, hope to have it in my hands tomorrow evening.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I received my sample today. From a preliminary wear on my arm, I'm enjoying it. The first impression was almost "yummy," with licorice and black pepper (and even a bit of what seemed like clove) showing themselves early. The birch tar isn't as strong as I imagined, though it's there enough to impart a bit of charred-wood smokiness. An hour in, a dry cedar note familiar from other CdG fragrances (like Hinoki) has appeared. The overall feeling is warm, woody, a bit smokey, and dry. Not challenging and avant garde in the sense of CdG 2 Man, Artek, or Odeur 71, but certainly not generic-smelling either. Nor does it seem like a replica of other CdG scents, however much the elements sound familiar.

I'm enjoying it so far, and will need to spend a bit more time with the sample before deciding whether to buy a full bottle.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

I'm trying to think of what else I can compare it to. You know the really strong dry woody note in Interlude Man? The woody base in Black is reminiscent of that, though toned down certainly. The cedar, as I said, reminds me of the cedar in Hinoki. The birch tar element reminds me a bit of Black Tourmaline, but the overall feel of the CdG is warmer and more inviting than Black Tourmaline (which I like, but it strikes me as brooding and remote).

Awesome, thanks for sharing onethinline. I should have mine by tomorrow night and I'll post my thoughts here. Can't wait! Sounds like a really unique one from CDG. I read somewhere... I dk if it's just simply PR but they're expecting this to be one of their top sellers which strikes me as rather odd from all that I've read so far. Seems like am awesome non mainstream that will not be liked my all but adored by a select few.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I'm trying to think of what else I can compare it to. You know the really strong dry woody note in Interlude Man? The woody base in Black is reminiscent of that, though toned down certainly. The cedar, as I said, reminds me of the cedar in Hinoki. The birch tar element reminds me a bit of Black Tourmaline, but the overall feel of the CdG is warmer and more inviting than Black Tourmaline (which I like, but it strikes me as brooding and remote).
    - - - Updated - - -

Upon first spray, Black starts off with a really dark blast of liquorice and tar (think T-Gel light.) The liquorice note I get is similar to that of Slumberhouse Vikt. Honestly smells like lightly smoked wood that you might find on a barn that burnt down, basted lightly in tar, with a hint of peppered anise. I'll be back in a few to give my thoughts on the dry down.

After about 2 hours Black has turned into a very dark vetiver wood, similar to Sycomore, not as sharp as Encre Noir, very smooth and smoky, obviously w/o the aldehydes.

After about 5 hours of wear, Black has faded to a more tame skin scent which is very mild compared to the very brash, in your face opening. Right now I'm getting dry cedar and very very faint smoky vetiver, pepper is lingering slightly on a bed of incense.
    Last edited by rynegne; 3rd May 2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Additional notes on the frag's progression.