Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Fresher Bottles In Store or Online?

Is it better to buy bottles in store or online? When buying online I only worry about shipping conditions (temperature) However, would you get fresher bottles online?

I just bought Play Intense at Sephora, and my bottle's batch was manufactured in June 2012, 10 months ago. If I buy it online instead might I get a fresher bottle? Or, am I fretting over nothing and a 10 month old bottle is perfectly fine...

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Fresher Bottles In Store or Online?

Just my observation...

A lot of people here prefer older bottles, like a couple of years old.

Original blend / vintage juice / pre-formulation

My guess is the fresher bottles are found in the store.

I would say a store too, especially a busy one that sells a lot. But my gut tells me to go to the perfumer's website for the freshest possible.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

You are probably worrying too much. As long as a frag is not exposed to sunlight or to extreme temperatures, it's going to be fine for years.

Sephora is not very good for that because the lights in the stores are quite warm. But this is more of a problem for their creams (which can go rancid) than for perfumes.

cacio

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    You are probably worrying too much. As long as a frag is not exposed to sunlight or to extreme temperatures, it's going to be fine for years.

Sephora is not very good for that because the lights in the stores are quite warm. But this is more of a problem for their creams (which can go rancid) than for perfumes.

cacio
    Yes I thought about that, however the box did not seem warm at all when I picked it up, and figure there is some insulation. I figure they have had that setup for as long as I can remember and if there were problems with heat it would have been uncovered by now. None of the tester bottles are ever warm either as far I could tell.

I agree with you, I think the perfumes are fine there. But I am always wary about creams and lotions - these go rancid quickly with a little heat, and sometimes I detect some rancidness even in their testers. (This is Arnault's store, after all, and look and advertising trump quality - so if the display is more welcoming, they'll do it that way even if it damages the creams)

In any case, as you'll notice if you read around this forum, the problem is more how frags are stored at home. Storing them out of the box under sunlight or near a heater can kill them. Ideally, they should be stored in their box in a cool place, like a drawer or a closet.

cacio

I think, generally, both online sites and dept. stores constantly sell out and reorder, so I doubt there's any significant difference.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

It depends on the store. Fragrancenet.com perfumes are fresher than 1stperfume.com perfumes, for example. And even real stores can have old stocks. It depends.

It depends on how popular is the perfume which decides how fast it sells.

I would prefer to pay that extra dollar and make a purchase retail.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    I would prefer to pay that extra dollar and make a purchase retail.
    I am definitely making my purchases retail, I am wondering weather it would be better buy from the physical Sephora store (or Macy's) or online at Sephora.com to get the freshest bottle.