Code of Conduct

Default The Star Anise Note: I can't Stand It

I just wanted to check if you guys have the same trouble as I do with the Star Anise note in fragrances. I think this note is disgusting, repelling, repulsive, vile, horrible, unnaceptable, abominable, awful, cloying, creepy, detestable, distasteful, foul, ghastly, gross,hideous, horrid and horrific.

As you can see, I have no doubts about the merits of Anise. To me, the best example of the use of this note is Opium Pour Homme EDP. I tried it once and I will never never forget the traumatic experience. I tried to wash it off but it wouldn't come out. It was like glue.

This note reminds me the smell of Absynthe. My brother once bought a bottle and gave me a little glass of it. It is the same disgusting smell. I don't know how people could actually have been addicted to this drink in the 19th century. It is nauseating.

Is there a single human being who likes Star Anise?

Default Re: The Star Anise Note: I can't Stand It

Sounds like you may like L'artisan Fou de Absinthe (anise and absinthe)

I personally like Anise. L'instant de Guerlain, Opium, Rive Gauche, Lolita Lempika, all great scents imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Sounds like you may like L'artisan Fou de Absinthe (anise and absinthe)

I personally like Anise. L'instant de Guerlain, Opium, Rive Gauche, Lolita Lempika, all great scents imo.

I've tried Rive Gauche, with the same traumatic results. My nose is incompatible with this note.

The anise note has personally never bothered me.

i actually like the scent of Star Anise,

especially with the authentic bowl of "Pho", at a local Vietnamese restaurant

the aromatic of Star Anise is interesting and unique when you burn it on a medium heat
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

We all have our hypersensitivies. Absinth was indeed flavored with anise (wormwood itself smells differently); I bet you've never tried a pastis (Pernod is flavored with anice and smells like absinth). How do you like licorice candies? Many (but not all) of them contain quite a bit of anice.

cacio

I actually discovered one of my very favorite frags after searching for something with the anise note in it. I only owned two or three fragrances at the time. Why did I think anise would be something I would want to "wear"? Who knows. But, long story short, that fragrance was Azzaro pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    We all have our hypersensitivies. Absinth was indeed flavored with anise (wormwood itself smells differently); I bet you've never tried a pastis (Pernod is flavored with anice and smells like absinth). How do you like licorice candies? Many (but not all) of them contain quite a bit of anice.cacio
    I've tried licorice candies, british ones, and hated them all. I can't understand how someone could find it pleasurable.

I'm exactly like the OP. Anything with anise or star anise turns me off immediately. Even if the fragrance doesn't have a predominantly strong anise note i can still smell it and it ruins everything for me. LIDG was the first fragrance I made this discovery, then Lolita Lempika.

Ironically I love it when it's used in cooking. My mom braises duck with star anise and it's fantastic. It's also invigorating when used with coffee. I've also tried an anise based liqueur called Sumbuca which I didn't find so bad.

I think it just doesn't work for me in fragrances
    Last edited by dudelove; 20th April 2013 at 08:07 AM.

I have no trouble with it. Love it in food and Pernod. I don't know which fragrances have it in any significant amount but if Azzaro is one then I love it in fragrance as well. This is the only other time I have met someone or two who are put off by this taste, accord, smell.

I like it in asian food. It is only in candies and perfumes that I don't like it.

Basenotes Plus

Hi DanielPlainview -

I happen to have a great admiration for the use of anise/star anise in fragrance...but I also grew up liking licorice and find the earthy, but sharp and lifted aromatic note to be wonderful.

It's all subjective...but, to me, scents like Azzaro Pour Homme, Rive Gauche and Charles Jourdan Un Homme are simply wonderful. All different presentations of the note - but all brilliant.

To each, their own.

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I've tried Rive Gauche, with the same traumatic results. My nose is incompatible with this note.
    Make sure to avoid Lolita Lempicka au masculin at all costs!! :-)

I just wrote a post for my blog recently about "directionality" in scents. Anise often goes too far in a particular direction (for me it's upwards), and so can be irritating. At some point I realized it was worth "fighting though" this sort of thing to see if a great scent was behind it, so to speak. Doing that, you might find that you come to like it because you have desensitized yourself to it. Is it worth your time? Only you can decide!

Same for me... Star anise is just messy.

Eau du Badian is one of my favorites!

Star anise, anise/aniseed and liquorice are all very similar but are actually quite different in taste and smell.

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried licorice candies, british ones, and hated them all. I can't understand how someone could find it pleasurable.
    You'd really hate the salty Dutch liquorice then. It's strictly for serious liquorice lovers, fantastic once you get used to it though. Salmiakki Koskenkorva is also really special.

As you can tell, I adore Lolita Lempicka pH and Opium pH.

Sound Scents

I love some fragrances that contain it, but it is not a note I enjoy or seek out.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I own a couple of scents with that note. Yojhi Homme and Lolita Lempicka au masculin Eau de Minuit. Enjoy them both immensely.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

I don't like to eat licorice but enjoy the smell of anise in perfumes.

Have you tried La Nuit Le Parfum? You might find the anise note in it , not that repulsive.

Is there a single human being who likes Star Anise?
    Well actually I'm not a big fan of it in perfumery, specially in strong doses, but it does bring some nice flavour to food. Its used in recipes all across Asia and I must say one of my favourite spicy rice has it as an ingredient, mmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by craniumbash View Post
    Well actually I'm not a big fan of it in perfumery, specially in strong doses, but it does bring some nice flavour to food. Its used in recipes all across Asia and I must say one of my favourite spicy rice has it as an ingredient, mmmmm.
    I actually like it in Asian food. I used to eat a pork recipe very much like this one

http://www.ste-michelle.com/wineFood/recipeDetail/132

in Boston, when I was doing my PhD course. I also ate sauces and dishes with star anise at vietnamese and Korean restaurants.

Yep, anise is one note that ruins frags for me as well. I even noticed it rearing its ugly head in Aqua Fahrenheit. I can't find that it's listed, but I certainly don't have to read it to know its there. L'instant was another that had to go, as well as La Nuit Parfum. Having said that, I do enjoy LIDGE and really really like Rive Gauche. In the latter two, I find other notes take precedence where I can't isolate the anise as easily.

Some notes are not just for certain folks in fragrances. In this case, Star Anise is just not for you!

CologneFan85

The one gentleman

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    The one gentleman
    A Wonderful Fragrance. At first I did not appreciate the star anise note. Found it to be rather strange. Now I can appreciate it more.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    A Wonderful Fragrance. At first I did not appreciate the star anise note. Found it to be rather strange. Now I can appreciate it more.
    Same here, I have a 30 ml bottle I haven't used. Prob use it for the giveaway thread soon. I do enjoy though.

Try Foret de Becharre or L'Hetre Reve by Nez a Nez. Very tastefully done.

I have been tincturing this ingredient recently and I was quite surprised how powerful it had become at such an early stage. It would very easily dominate a fragrance. Perhaps it is more to do with it being blended badly than the note itself. A small amount used well is a different matter to an overload or an incompatible note.
    It would be interesting if you also dislike these well blended ones.
    Aqua do Palma Iris nobile
    Guerlain du 68
    Gai Mattiolo Uomo

CologneFan85

Very Irresistible Givenchy

I have no idea what "Star Anise" is, and what makes it different from regular anise.
    Do you not like regular/standard anise either?
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I have no idea what "Star Anise" is, and what makes it different from regular anise.
    Regards,
    Renato

They are similar. I hate and abhor both.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Regards,
    Renato
    Star anise - an evergreen herb.
    Anise - a flowering plant of which the seeds are used.
    This anise component is also found in fennel and liquorice. A similar anise compound is found in tarragon and basil oil.

The chemical is the same in each even though they are unrelated. The star anise has got more popular because it is cheaper to produce commercially.

I've put one of each on each hand and am smelling them for you this morning.

Smelling from a very new tincture:-
    The flower anise starts with a temporary tonka-like burst of sweetness and then a sharp anisette note appears, again for a short while. It then has a cinammon like anise spiciness that is actually quite soft and powdery with a less pronounced anisic note and more woody.

Smelling from a diluted essential oil of aniseed EO which would have come from the seeds:-
    A much more representative anise note like the drink. It is very strong and almost like a metal note with a strong soapy aspect. Much like plunging your nose into the common drink. It dries down with a fresh and almost cold pepperminty nuance.

The star anise I have here is a much more gentle creature (bearing in mind this is a new and not very powerful tincture yet) with more varied notes lending themselves to a softer perfume than the pure anise which I could see would be a difficult note to manage well. However if it was managed well, then it surely could be extraordinary due to its power and the striking cleanliness nuances. I could see it working very well in a manly Fougere.