Code of Conduct

Default I'm sampling a lot, and VERY few catch my eye. What's going on?

Here is a list of the fragrances I've tried as a 25/m. My goal is to get three fragrances for both Spring/Summer, and Fall/Winter.

As you can see, I've sampled some quite popular smells, and none are really catching me. A lot feel VERY overhyped -- eg: Chergui smells like female baby powder.

Am I doing the right thing by sampling? The ones with no notes are coming in, so I'm anxious.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm sampling a lot, and VERY few catch my eye. What's going on?

Sampling is awesome. So many frangrances on here just sound like something I would absolutely LOVE. I write all the interesting ones down and I start sampling. Only about 1/20 are FB worthy for me, and I'm glad I get to find out before I invest.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

FB worthy, meaning? Facebook?

You're encouragingly supportive on my journey. I'm learning I despise powdery scents, so I have to be extra cautious of it. Tobacco notes are a turn-off as well.

Still on the journey for a unique few.

You are absolutely doing the right thing! Nothing is better than sampling. Just revisit some of them later. Tastes change as you develop your own taste.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    You are absolutely doing the right thing! Nothing is better than sampling. Just revisit some of them later. Tastes change as you develop your own taste.
    Reading your signature, I noticed you like Black Aoud. Humans are interesting in that I couldn't stand it - primarily because I feel like I couldn't sport it.

Perhaps I should sample some of the non-hyped ones on here. Tauer seems to have quite a few I'd be interested in.

Basenotes Member

Just guessing...

Maybe you're taste is just inclined to a specific "genre"

That's why you don't appreciate some popular scents that do not fall into that category

Tauer does have some wonderful frags - also try Nasomatto's & Slumberhouse's frags

Have you sampled all the fragrances on the list, or only the ones you've commented on? You seem to like incense, you should try Montale Full Incense (stark incense, similar to Avignon).

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Have you sampled all the fragrances on the list, or only the ones you've commented on? You seem to like incense, you should try Montale Full Incense (stark incense, similar to Avignon).
    I've sampled the ones I've commented on. The others are incoming.

I love incense, sadly seems that most women won't - and part of me, truthfully, wants to wear it for them as well (conditional on if I like it). Thanks for the recommendation on the Montale! Are there any "fresh/spring/summer" incense ones?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Tauer does have some wonderful frags - also try Nasomatto's & Slumberhouse's frags
    When looking at these, how can I tell which is designed as neutral/for men?

I think that sampling is the only way to go. I would not be discouraged. You may end up really liking only a fraction of all of the names you try. That's the way it's been for me. It's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Here is a list of the fragrances I've tried as a 25/m. My goal is to get three fragrances for both Spring/Summer, and Fall/Winter.

As you can see, I've sampled some quite popular smells, and none are really catching me. A lot feel VERY overhyped -- eg: Chergui smells like female baby powder.

Am I doing the right thing by sampling? The ones with no notes are coming in, so I'm anxious.
    First of all consider it a good thing that you're only liking about 15-20% of the fragrances you're trying. You'll get to sample a lot of fragrances and not be compelled to buy every bottle you put your nose on - though some one here would not consider that a negative :=)

That being said the second half of your list contains a lot more "accessible" type fragrances for a new fragrance person, particularly with the Creeds, L'Humaniste and the several gourmand/night out type fragrances listed.

Also if you're anything like many basenoters you'll go back a few months later and change your mind on some of the fragrances, especially if you try them out in difference seasons.

Have fun sampling
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    I think that sampling is the only way to go. I would not be discouraged. You may end up really liking only a fraction of all of the names you try. That's the way it's been for me. It's ok.
    Which caught your eye?

Also if you're anything like many basenoters you'll go back a few months later and change your mind on some of the fragrances, especially if you try them out in difference seasons.
    It's weird - like I "enjoy" the scents GIT, Allure Homme, but they're almost "TOO fresh", too clean, not enough fight in it and I didn't get the complexity. I know this is in a different realm, but the Bois Blond / Desert Marocain stood out not only for the smell as being genuinely unique, it was so complex and vivid - bold.

I don't know if "bold" is a term that can be used, but I like that. Something which stands out, rather than is safe. Would love to hear your opinion on if there is a "bold fresh" scent with complexity.

Well since you like Avignon you could stick with the CdG Incense line. Kyoto is very good, and Ouarzazate is perfect for summer. You have a lot of very good scents on your list still to try. I think you're really going to like Royal Oud and Memoir Man.

I adore Chergui but tastes are different and no one can tell you what to like. Sampling is great, it will keep you from being overhyped by some particular fragrances and blind buying it just to find out that you hate it.

And for the record, I find majority of overhyped fragrances are mediocre/boring

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Well since you like Avignon you could stick with the CdG Incense line. Kyoto is very good, and Ouarzazate is perfect for summer. You have a lot of very good scents on your list to try. I think you're really going to like Royal Oud and Memoir Man.
    Thanks for the encouragement! Sampling seems cheap, but boy can it get pricey quick

I find majority of overhyped fragrances are mediocre/boring
    So why do they gain popularity (asking, not being sarcastic)? Funny enough, I share the same name as you (Jason).

You just haven't found anything that appeals to you yet. Just give it time.

Blog Entries

FB worthy, meaning? Facebook?
    Yeah, I mean if I'm not going to get enough likes on Facebook, I won't purchase it!

Just kidding. I meant Full-Bottle worthy. I sample a lot, but only few are full bottle purchase worthy.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

So why do they gain popularity (asking, not being sarcastic)? Funny enough, I share the same name as you (Jason).
    Hype usually begins by someone highly regarded in the community liking a particular fragrance and giving good words for it, then there are followers who willing to blindly buy that fragrance just because they think whatever that highly regarded person like is gold
    The followers may or may not like that fragrance but they're afraid that if they go against that highly regarded person personal taste then people will question their level of taste. Therefore they have to also give good words for that particular fragrance.
    From then the hype grows

Reading your signature, I noticed you like Black Aoud. Humans are interesting in that I couldn't stand it - primarily because I feel like I couldn't sport it.

Perhaps I should sample some of the non-hyped ones on here. Tauer seems to have quite a few I'd be interested in.
    I do love Black Aoud! A beasty rose oud combo that lasts forever. Also love Leather Oud, another long lasting and skanky scent. Black Afgano is another favorite. Love strong and long lasting fragrances. Just keep an open mind and sample away. We all have different tastes...a good thing.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

15 years ago my love of smelling things became a hobby and a passion and I started ordering samples online. EVERY fragrance was amazing because they offered something more creative than most designer ones in stores. Even if I didn't like a fragrance I still found it interesting finding the notes listed on the fragrance. Nowadays I still order a lot of samples but I go with gut feeling and my initial reaction. I know wich notes I like but that still does not guarantee that the combo in a fragrance works. I would say that if I liked 10/25 in the beginning now it's more like 5 of 25. If you don't like most ones you try that just means you know what you like!

I think you are right on track with your sampling. I only love 5-10% of fragrances that I sample too.. there are alot out there that are just alright, or pretty good but not great. Its worth all the sampling when you do come across something that you love, plus it helps educate your nose. You have some really good ones coming.

Tell me about it. I end up buying a tiny fraction of the scents I sample, which is exactly why I keep sampling - I know that there is a high likelihood that a blind buy will turn out to be objectionable to my nose. If you're picky like me, sampling is the way to go.

JC

Don't worry, I'm not finding many full bottle worthy frags lately, just because i have built a wardrobe of quite a few members and i've become harder to please. I've even sold part of my collection because i got tired of some frags...
    You'll find a lot FB worthy as there are many quality fragrances out there.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've sampled the ones I've commented on. The others are incoming.

I love incense, sadly seems that most women won't - and part of me, truthfully, wants to wear it for them as well (conditional on if I like it). Thanks for the recommendation on the Montale! Are there any "fresh/spring/summer" incense ones?

- - - Updated - - -

When looking at these, how can I tell which is designed as neutral/for men?
    All of the Slumberhouse fragrances currently being produced are suitable for men to wear; Pear + Olive being the least so, IMHO. You might also want to check out Olivier Durbano.

Basenotes Member

Yeah give them multiple chances. Lots of them will grow on you!

I highly recommend Creed's Silver Mountain Water as a fresh summer scent that does well in the winter also.

I carry a small atomizer of this as longevity may not be the greatest, however, the compliment and fresh factor make it worthy of the price and it is unique. It does actually remind me of sitting at an outdoor patio in Colorado next to a babbling brook at a fresh tea spot wearing a crisp white oxford and khakis sipping on some white tea in the sunshine, if that makes sense...probably not.

This!

Updated with a ton of samples.

I was trying to find your list of Sampled Fragrances, but then I saw the hyperlink in the reply... Missed it the first time.

You're up to the right thing, keep doing your research, finding out and exploring what you like. there's an awful lot out there... But not all of the Commercial Frags are interesting, sometimes they are the least common denominator type.

I see you are trying out Slumberhouse, that's great, why don't you try other Niche Houses too?
    I wasn't able to see enough of a pattern on your list of likes and dislikes to suggest any fragrances from my own line, you'd have to take a look I suppose, but keep on your quest to keep finding great fragrances that you like, and don't let anybody try to tell you that they think you should wear something, unless it's your girlfriend or wife... Wear what you like and helps you feel like yourself, but even more.

Best to you, On Your Quest...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

It varies, but I find maybe 1/5 good and 1/20 very good.

I think Heeley Cardinal smells absolutely fantastic on a man...try that one if you want an incense scent the ladies will like.

I need to built a list like this. I can't remember what I have sampled recently. How about some leather (tuscani is my favorite) and more montale oud (White Oud, Black Oud)

Seems like a combination of rushing things and setting unreasonably high expectations. There are a lot of nice perfumes I feel you swiftly dismissed. Then again tastes vary and noses develop.

Promise yourself to revisit them in 9 months.

Ohh yeah, if you like Avignon, at least try Cardinal by Heeley and Preludio d'Oriente before committing to Avignon.

for swap/sale:

Sampling is frequently significant "trial and error" until finding the few (or many) scents that work well for you.

You are correct in your approach. BN'ers tastes vary greatly. You sample what sounds interesting then you make up your own mind. Eventually you will "connect" with a few members who have similar tastes and you will share information with them.

Good Luck.