Code of Conduct

Default Nothing lasts on me!

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and happy I found it. My question is, why don't fragrances last me? It's a problem for just about any frag I wear. I get about 1/5 of the longevity that most others do and also have super-weak projection. After 30-45 minutes almost anything I wear becomes a skin scent. The heavy hitters like TdH last longer with greater projection, but that's about it. Can anyone give some advice? I don't think I have particularly dry skin, and it's not like I only apply frags after getting out of the shower when there's less natural oil on my skin, I'll wear frags hours after a shower and it's the same problem. I also apply on my pulse points, neck and wrists. It's not the worst thing in the world, at least I don't come off as the guy wearing too much cologne, but it's annoying when I say something about the frag I'm wearing and get asked "you're wearing cologne?" If anyone has any insights I'd love to hear them. Cheers.

Default Re: Nothing lasts on me!

First try using some unscented moisturizer and then wear your frags; then...

Try fragrances from these houses which with my dry skin,I get 8+hrs easily --->>> Montale /// Nasomatto /// Slumberhouse /// Andy Tauer /// Amouage

also these --->>> A*Men /// Le Male /// Fahrenheit /// Tuscan Leather /// Tobacco Vanille /// One Million /// Joop

&

Welcome to BN!!!

Some people's skin just seems to soak up scent more so than others. Perhaps try applying an unscented lotion prior to the fragrance and see if that helps at all.

Basenotes Member

I've read somewhere that unscented lotions still react to perfumes.

Not so much on scents mixing, since the lotion is unscented, but more so on a chemical reaction type.

Anyone had any experience along these lines?

Buy a decent cologne. Get away from the Designer scents.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Buy a decent cologne. Get away from the Designer scents.
    that makes scents

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    First try using some unscented moisturizer and then wear your frags; then...

Try fragrances from these houses which with my dry skin,I get 8+hrs easily --->>> Montale /// Nasomatto /// Slumberhouse /// Andy Tauer /// Amouage

also these --->>> A*Men /// Le Male /// Fahrenheit /// Tuscan Leather /// Tobacco Vanille /// One Million /// Joop

&

Welcome to BN!!!
    I should try that, I've never used lotion before.

Badarun is spot on. Try some stronger fragrances, TdH is far from a heavy hitter. If Tom Ford, Amouage, Montale and Nasomatto don't last on you, then something is definitely up with your skin.

As an option spraying your hair (drying over time) or on clothes (better then nothing)))
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Spray all over, use a moysturizer, and buy a bottle of Polo green by Ralph Lauren. Your presence will be felt.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Badarun is spot on. Try some stronger fragrances, TdH is far from a heavy hitter. If Tom Ford, Amouage, Montale and Nasomatto don't last on you, then something is definitely up with your skin.
    I have a lot to learn lol, I'd love to own TF one day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sapfir View Post
    As an option spraying your hair (drying over time) or on clothes (better then nothing)))
    I'll try this next time!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Spray all over, use a moysturizer, and buy a bottle of Polo green by Ralph Lauren. Your presence will be felt.

I'm curious to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDays View Post
    I've read somewhere that unscented lotions still react to perfumes. Not so much on scents mixing, since the lotion is unscented, but more so on a chemical reaction type.Anyone had any experience along these lines?
    with rgds to skin reaction, luckily none so far...

@ milanman --- first wear the frag bcoz u like it, not bcoz u need others to know u r wearing it...

before spraying a frag, I use this unscented version made by some canadian company (name has cricket in it) - its great, non sticky / non oily and i feel that my skin's a bit better. also they have this pomegranate version of the same thats awesome in summer - very strong scent by itself...If i run out of that, i sneak into my nephew / niece's room and use some kids J&J lotion, again, no harsh effects on my skin.

Also, i never spray on clothes / hair, only on my skin, abt 5-10 mins after applying the moisturizer. I dont mind a frag being a skin scent, but hate to spray on clothing, the whole "skin chemistry" part vanishes...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    with rgds to skin reaction, luckily none so far...

@ milanman --- first wear the frag bcoz u like it, not bcoz u need others to know u r wearing it...

before spraying a frag, I use this unscented version made by some canadian company (name has cricket in it) - its great, non sticky / non oily and i feel that my skin's a bit better. also they have this pomegranate version of the same thats awesome in summer - very strong scent by itself...If i run out of that, i sneak into my nephew / niece's room and use some kids J&J lotion, again, no harsh effects on my skin.

Also, i never spray on clothes / hair, only on my skin, abt 5-10 mins after applying the moisturizer. I dont mind a frag being a skin scent, but hate to spray on clothing, the whole "skin chemistry" part vanishes...
    I feel like I'm missing out on the skin chemistry part on myself. As people have mentioned, my skin just absorbs frags super fast. I've also heard using a moisturizers can dull a scent. I doubt this is true for you since you do it, but have you heard anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by MilanMan View Post
    I feel like I'm missing out on the skin chemistry part on myself. As people have mentioned, my skin just absorbs frags super fast. I've also heard using a moisturizers can dull a scent. I doubt this is true for you since you do it, but have you heard anything about it?
    Not with the unscented moisturizers, no "dull" effects seen...But just bcoz it worked for me doesnt mean it'll for u, all our skins are diff, so u need to be more patient in getting to your ideal fix.

Also if u feel ur skin's the prob, u might want to buy only EDP's or extracts which will definitely help (instead of edt / edc)...

enjoy...HAPPY TRIGGERING!

A moisturizer is worth a try, although it probably wouldn't totally solve your problem. Some people report that moisturizers actually seem to make their projection problem worse, so the reports you've heard of them "dulling a scent" are probably accurate.

As has been suggested, spraying on clothing works satisfactorily for many people with projection/longevity problems. Using more sprays of weaker fragrances and buying some stronger ones are also good recommendations, but be careful, as such measures can easily result in the opposite problem for you.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Member

I've only done it a couple of times, but spraying on clothes just doesn't smell right.

Can't say for sure, but it's almost like the scent never develops. It as if it is stuck on the top notes.

Hm, i belive there was a good super advanced thread about this particular subject.
    Going to see if i can find it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spacerace14 View Post
    Hm, i belive there was a good super advanced thread about this particular subject.
    http://www.basenotes.net/entries/244...OD-quot-Part-I

Basenotes Member

Just read it and some stuff I got...

- perfume then lotion, perfume reacts to skin then lotion locks it in

- rub it in so that your pores soak it better

Not sure I'm sold on these, quite contrary to my common sense, maybe I'll still try it though.

Any thoughts / experience on these?

Most scents become faint after the first 30 minutes really. Top notes always project the most. TdH has vetiver in the base, which is why it projects more (I would guess) - since vetiver is one of the most aromatic notes.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Moisturiser +1

Also a good tip is to avoid spraying near to your nose, ie.. Front of neck, as you can go anosmic to your frag.

I generally spray on moisturised back of hands and nape of neck. And get good results.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

You could try the amouage fragrances!! Epic, Interlude, reflection lasts on me 24 + hours!

Musc ravageur too

I have a similar issue to the OP. I've learnt live with it and now spray hair, clothes and carry an atomiser.

This is the moisturizer i was talking abt earlier...works for me.

http://www.greencricket.ca/productde...E493584F034129

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post

Not with the latest formulation. Longevity is way worse than it used to be, imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Some designer scents that I doubt you will have a longevity problem with....

Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme
    Sung Homme
    1 Million
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men
    Grey Flannel

Most of these are classic, "powerhouse" frags.
    At one time I would have suggested Quorum and Polo Green, but the latest formulations aren't too great in the longevity department.
    Bleu de Chanel is a popular designer frag that seems to have pretty good longevity on me.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

wow guys, thanks so much for all the help/advice. I'm definitely going to try your suggestions. And I need to get Musc ravageur too! I keep hearing about it

As others have suggested, use unscented body lotion. More sprays should help also.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDays View Post
    I've only done it a couple of times, but spraying on clothes just doesn't smell right.

Can't say for sure, but it's almost like the scent never develops. It as if it is stuck on the top notes.
    Spraying on clothing is perfectly fine! It's a great way to increase a scents longevity and projection IMO. as you noticed, the top notes may stay around a little longer, and guess what, so will the rest of the middle and base It's ok to hit your pulse points and neck along with your clothing. It's certainly worth it if your having issues like the OP is having.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spacerace14 View Post

- - - Updated -

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/244...OD-quot-Part-I
    Excellent commentary. Thanks for the link. I read it with great interest.