Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Basenotes Junkie chopwet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    624

    Default Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    A question for those who know vintage Diors quite well.

    I have the opportunity to buy someone's small Dior collection. I don't know anything about vintages but this is what is on offer:



    Translated:
    For sale, Parfum de Christian Dior
    = eau sauvage edt 100 ml
    = eau sauvage 100 ml
    = Diorella edt
    = Miss Dior dior edt
    = eau sauvage
    = eau sauvage
    = lotion après rasage

    Take a look at the photos to see the 7 bottles


    Can anyone identify the vintages of any of these bottles? Seems as if there are 5 bottles of Eau Sauvage for sale along with the aforementioned Miss Dior and Diorella. The price is very good for all these bottles.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Wonderful haul!!!

    As for the batches / vintage - all i know is the recent ones are white packaging with silver on it, bottle is regular stripped glass similar to the one you have on left front in your picture. Best thing will be to take down the batch #'s at the bottom & ask Dior directly...

  3. #3
    Basenotes Junkie chopwet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Wonderful haul!!!

    As for the batches / vintage - all i know is the recent ones are white packaging with silver on it, bottle is regular stripped glass similar to the one you have on left front in your picture. Best thing will be to take down the batch #'s at the bottom & ask Dior directly...
    Thanks for the reply. It seems as if the two large bottles at the rear are 'factises' or 'dummy' bottles so I'm assuming that they are filled with coloured water. I'm trying to ascertain whether or not the 5 other smaller bottles actually contain real fragrances.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13,420

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Nice look.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Junkie chopwet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Nice look.
    If you're into Dior and Eau Sauvage, it certainly is!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Nice bunch. Current Eau Sauvage comes in a textured white box with silver band, bottles now have a heavy magnetic cap. Older bottles came in brown marbled (or perhaps more correct, wood veneer style box).
    Older bottles have the text on the label embossed whereas current bottles have the text printed onto the label. The difference is sometimes difficult to see in pictures.
    The large bottles can indeed be dummies but may contain Eau Sauvage if you're lucky. It's still possible to buy 400 ml and 1 liter bottles of Eau Sauvage.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

  7. #7
    Basenotes Junkie chopwet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Quote Originally Posted by Beftus View Post
    Nice bunch. Current Eau Sauvage comes in a textured white box with silver band, bottles now have a heavy magnetic cap. Older bottles came in brown marbled (or perhaps more correct, wood veneer style box).
    Older bottles have the text on the label embossed whereas current bottles have the text printed onto the label. The difference is sometimes difficult to see in pictures.
    The large bottles can indeed be dummies but may contain Eau Sauvage if you're lucky. It's still possible to buy 400 ml and 1 liter bottles of Eau Sauvage.
    Thanks so much for this info. So far the seller hasn't been very communicative. I might try and see if I can go over and have a look at the bottles before I buy them. I had no idea that dummies might actually contain actual fragrance, I thought they were always filled with something else.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Errm no, a dummy or as they're also known as a factice doesn't contain any fragrance, usually just colored liquid (water? alcohol perhaps? Dunno.). For display purposes a factice is almost always a very large bottle. However, a large bottle of Eau Sauvage doesn't have to be a factice since it's still possible to order 1000 ml bottles (no spray bottle of course) of Eau Sauvage. Just checked it, all yours for only £194.00 @ Harrods.com, a 1000 ml bottle of Eau Sauvage heaven. Pretty cheap if you ask me. Finishing the bottle could be quite a challenge...
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

  9. #9
    Basenotes Junkie chopwet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Quote Originally Posted by Beftus View Post
    Errm no, a dummy or as they're also known as a factice doesn't contain any fragrance, usually just colored liquid (water? alcohol perhaps? Dunno.). For display purposes a factice is almost always a very large bottle. However, a large bottle of Eau Sauvage doesn't have to be a factice since it's still possible to order 1000 ml bottles (no spray bottle of course) of Eau Sauvage. Just checked it, all yours for only £194.00 @ Harrods.com, a 1000 ml bottle of Eau Sauvage heaven. Pretty cheap if you ask me. Finishing the bottle could be quite a challenge...
    Ah but unfortunately, as per one of my original posts, the large bottles are of the factice variety and therefore most probably contain nothing but water. From the seller's description it is only the 5 smaller bottles that contain actual fragrance. Not that I'd have any idea of what to do with litres of any fragrance.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Huerä Geil!! Take all of them! Oops they don't do Barndütch in Laussane. Anyways take them all, try and see if you can smell them, or if the seller can give you any guarantee that they actually contain real fragrance and it hasn't gone bad.
    Salut!
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Junkie chopwet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Question for Eau Sauvage and Dior aficionados

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan D' Great View Post
    Huerä Geil!! Take all of them! Oops they don't do Barndütch in Laussane. Anyways take them all, try and see if you can smell them, or if the seller can give you any guarantee that they actually contain real fragrance and it hasn't gone bad.
    Salut!
    Oui on parle francais a Lausanne but thanks. The seller isn't being very communicative at the moment, maybe tomorrow will be better. Hopefully the fragrances are still good.

Similar Threads

  1. Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme & Eau Sauvage Parfum
    By lucasai in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th September 2012, 02:22 AM
  2. Dior Eau Sauvage or Eau Sauvage Extreme ?
    By CHSeifert in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27th September 2011, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000