Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default According to my Macy's SA, only old men buy Thierry Mugler

I visited my local Macy's today to try out A*Men Pure Havene and Mugler Cologne. As I was sniffing them, the SA who is a middle-aged lady, told me that I am the only young man who has ever asked her about Thierry Mugler colognes. She told me they are more like "old men" colognes because everyone she has sold a bottle of Thierry Mugler to has been an older man. She then told me that usually deep and dark scents that Thierry Mugler likes to produce are preferred by older man and younger man like myself always gets the fresh scents. And she pointed out that this section of the fragrance counter (Thierry Mugler and Boucheron) are the old man fragrances that is why they placed them on the same counter.
    Is she crazy or is there some validity to what she was saying?

Banned

Default Re: According to my Macy's SA, only old men buy Thierry Mugler

I know her.
    yesterday was her second day at work.

Right, the teenagers flock to Yatagan and Kouros, everyone knows that !

I say bullshit. Personally I find Mugler scents for men anything but serious and mature. If you can pull off 1 million or Le Male, you can pull off Angel Men or any flanker.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I've heard that same point being made from numerous SAs. I think it has some validity to it. But it paints a large brush so sometimes there will be exceptions.

Her point was that she has never seen a young man buy Mugler or even asked her about it. And she has been working there for awhile.

I think it is fair point, from a mainstream perspectives fresh is more dominant for younger people.

how old is the OP?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    how old is the OP?
    I say about tree fiddy

Funny, to me they seem to be more aimed at young men, and perhaps women.

It never surprises me what SAs say.

You'd think you would need some experience with fragrances to become a SA, but apparently not. Take it with a grain of salt. My buddy and I love Pure Malt and we're 20 and 21.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

The thing is, if that SA handles everyone like that, then she probably does sell more Mugler scents to older men. Don't forget that SAs do have some influence in how customers view a fragrance (the OP being a case in point). An SA's opinion can be self-fulfilling.

Bottom line: if you like how it smells, wear it.

Yeah. When I bought l'Instant Extreme, an SA told me that Hugo Boss and Armani are the best brands out there.
    How can a SA say this while I'm buying a Guerlain?
    Seriously. I don't give a damn about the bullshit these SA's tell me.
    They don't know anything about fragrances. It's just a job for them, not a passion.
    Please, don't value their opinion.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

And I was under the opinion Mugler was no country for old men. Go figure.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Right, the teenagers flock to Yatagan and Kouros, everyone knows that !
    Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It never surprises me what SAs say.
    Very true!
    and I think Mugler colognes are specially made for younger groups, as if old men wore them they would suffocate!!!
    in my town almost every friend of mine have and wear at least one Mugler fragrance. (age between 25-35)
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

My experience with SA's (The Bay here in Canada) are that they push the current releases and ignore you when you try anything else. I have always been ushered to the fresh aquatic scents which are nice but not really my style. GA Essenza, Man Eau Fraiche, etc. They are always "so unique" as well. To them it's a job not a passion, which was well said earlier.

To answer the question, I would disagree that TM are for old fogies, not that age matters IMO.

Basenotes Member

Not all SA's are bad.
    I've met SA's that knows what their talking about, like they know their brands and notes and stuff.
    I've also met ones where they are aware that they are biased on some things & lets you know about it.
    It's actually fun chit-chatting with some.
    Yeah, not all the time, but still...

Anyways, as for the topic on hand.
    That's just an honest observation from her.
    No young men checks out Mugler.

My guess is that young guys are usually just starting in their fragrance journey. So most probably, they've never heard of non-mainstream brands, like Guerlain and Mugler. They're only familiar with super popular brands like Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren.

On the other hand, older gentle men are more likely to have gone quite a bit on their fragrance journey. They know their perfume houses. So they check out all kinds of things, including Mugler.

Sounds plausible?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDays View Post

My guess is that young guys are usually just starting in their fragrance journey. So most probably, they've never heard of non-mainstream brands, like Guerlain and Mugler. They're only familiar with super popular brands like Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren.

On the other hand, older gentle men are more likely to have gone quite a bit on their fragrance journey. They know their perfume houses. So they check out all kinds of things, including Mugler.

Sounds plausible?
    I am of the opinion that most young men just starting out in the world of fragrance are influenced to do so by other young men already wearing fragrance or the open-and-sniff ads in periodical magazines (Calvin Klein, Ralph Loren etc.) aimed at younger men.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Sounds plausible?

Yes, it does.

Not all SA's are bad.
    I've met SA's that knows what their talking about, like they know their brands and notes and stuff.
    I've also met ones where they are aware that they are biased on some things & lets you know about it.
    It's actually fun chit-chatting with some.
    Yeah, not all the time, but still...

Sounds plausible?
    Teenagers etc are more likely to go for popular designer labels. I wouldn't call it a journey, in fact I hate the phrase 'fragrance journey' which is bandied about on BN.

She's probably right. Think about it for years and years the only scent for man from Mugler that people smelt was A Men yeah sure most of connoisseurs here love it but for the average nose it fucking stinks. Had Mugler come out with Pure Shot or Pure Malt back in 1995-96 they would have a younger fanbase..MAYBE.

What's wrong with an old fart smelling like tar and chocolate?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Well fragrances are pretty subjective, but i think being a sales rep does not give you that liberty.
    It only allows you to "Like" what your getting maximum commission from, whic is both a right thing
    and a wrong one, depending on how you view it.

Basenotes Junkie

Last time I went to Macys' they had all the Mugler frags behind the counter on a shelf. If I wasn't looking for them I seriously doubt I would have even seen them at all.

CologneFan85

It can be for anyone. I see people in the 20's wearing this more then anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate how macys in DTLA Ca and the one in Jackson TN always want to push Aqua Di Gio, that keep saying its the best blah blah blah etc. No its COMMON AND MAINSTREAM BORING!

I don't think my SA was biased in this case. She was just telling me about her observation, that I am the only young man who has inquired about Mugler. I am not that young by the way, I just look young, lol

Their location on the shelf would depend on the demand for them. I guess it is easier to sell adg than mugler

I wouldnt put Bucheron in the same category, but she is probably right about frags like Bucheron being like by a more mature crown in general.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    And I was under the opinion Mugler was no country for old men. Go figure.
    I see what you did there

I think everyones given reasons sound pretty plausible, whilst I tend to think A*Men is designed for younger in mind they may not be the ones actually finding and buying the stuff as I tend to think most of them would stick to the well knowns AdG and CK etc.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Personally, I don't see an old man wearing Mugler. It would not be "normal".

Maybe what she did try to imply is that nobody is buying Mugler anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    I visited my local Macy's today to try out A*Men Pure Havene and Mugler Cologne. As I was sniffing them, the SA who is a middle-aged lady, told me that I am the only young man who has ever asked her about Thierry Mugler colognes. She told me they are more like "old men" colognes because everyone she has sold a bottle of Thierry Mugler to has been an older man. She then told me that usually deep and dark scents that Thierry Mugler likes to produce are preferred by older man and younger man like myself always gets the fresh scents. And she pointed out that this section of the fragrance counter (Thierry Mugler and Boucheron) are the old man fragrances that is why they placed them on the same counter.
    Find a new SA, at another retailer if necessary. That one is not being helpful.

Why can't old man wear TM ?.

Always keep in mind that sales assistants aren't experts. They don't go to school to study perfume. They don't undergo rigorous training. They're just guys and gals working hard at retail jobs to pay the bills and they're usually not particularly well paid. Very often, customers will know more about the products than the sales assistants, not because sales assistants are dumb. It's just that the person buying a product tends to be more invested in it than the person working at a place that sells it, especially if the product is related to work or a hobby. That's true for a perfume counter, and it's true for just about every other kind of retail too.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Mugler not so much, but Boucheron definitely skews 40 and over (I'm 45). Muglers are kind of ageless. The powder in Boucherons make them feel older.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I am of the opinion that most young men just starting out in the world of fragrance are influenced to do so by other young men already wearing fragrance or the open-and-sniff ads in periodical magazines (Calvin Klein, Ralph Loren etc.) aimed at younger men.

This is what I was going to say, that the less experienced fragrance buyers can only bring with them their own experiences, which would be as a percentage of their experience, more influenced by Media than an older person.

And I also agree with the SA that as a person gets older, that the darker heavier, more gravitas filled fragrances take on more importance for an older man. They help project gravitas to the world...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I would agree with Boucheron being brought by older guys but Thierry Mugler? Naw, don't agree with that.

Guys, she was just trying to say (suggesting) that Mugler is outdated. She didn't mean that old men were actually buying the Mugler perfumes.

P.S. I don't know if she was right in suggesting that Mugler is outdated. I just believe this was her intention.

That was not what she was saying.
    She was saying only older man buy Mugler from her experience, suggesting a vast majority of Mugler consumers are older men

I think you're leaving out relevant info. How old do you appear, and what was she pushing?
    I was in Macys two weeks ago purchasing a gift (ck one summer) and the frags being pushed
    were a)Le Beau Male JPG b)Salvatore Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale and c)Issey Miyake Sport.
    All Beaute Prestige products, all no go for me.
    I smell marshmallows!

That was not what she was saying.
    She was saying only older man buy Mugler from her experience, suggesting a vast majority of Mugler consumers are older men
    She's just one person. One person can be wrong. It happens.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I know her.
    yesterday was her second day at work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Always keep in mind that sales assistants aren't experts. They don't go to school to study perfume. They don't undergo rigorous training. They're just guys and gals working hard at retail jobs to pay the bills and they're usually not particularly well paid. Very often, customers will know more about the products than the sales assistants, not because sales assistants are dumb. It's just that the person buying a product tends to be more invested in it than the person working at a place that sells it, especially if the product is related to work or a hobby. That's true for a perfume counter, and it's true for just about every other kind of retail too.
    very true
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Very well said.

I seems the SAs comments were her legitimate opinion on her observations of who purchases Mulger. Might be incorrect from a factual standpoint, but it still may be her legitimate firsthand observation.

I had an SA at a perfume kiosk sniff New Haarlem that I had sprayed on a tester strip tell me it was disgusting but in the same breath tell me that thallium was the nectar of the gods...
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

It's Macy's! They don't know $#¡÷! And for the most part the stuff they sell is so mainstream it is boring. The most they know is thr number on their comission check. I am officially old now and wear whafever I want and like.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    It's Macy's! They don't know $#¡÷! And for the most part the stuff they sell is so mainstream it is boring.
    This.

Remember also that many of these people are not store SAs but private vendors.

So you go up to someone saying "do you have dior homme" and they will say "yes we do...it sucks and smells like a woman's purse....have you tried the new tom ford noir? it is amazing...ladies go crazy for this one" and of course that person works for TF not for Neiman Marcus like you assumed he/she did!

And here I was about to go buy pure havane or pure coffee in a week :3 dammit now I must listen to that SA and buy Bois du Portugal to smell young.

I say a man has a right to wear anything he pleases, be it One Million, Acqua di Gio, Derby or his wife's Shalimar.

It's all a personal choice what to wear.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It's true, Boucheron does skew to old...ladies, that foul floral stench that smells like a hot summer night at the Bingo hall after the air conditioning broke down and grandma and her girls were baking in their own juices at about 125 degrees...

As for Mugler, I don't know, I think older suit wearing crowd might enjoy the longevity as well as it's likeness to 80s power frags in terms of longevity and projection, but I wouldn't say the scents are "old" per se.

To the contrary, I find Mugler fragrances very youthful and energetic. By youthful I mean its perfect for people in their 20s and 30s.

The pushers are vendors, trying to get you into their products. Here's a tip, come in close to the beginning or end of store hours. Almost never a vendor there then. Don't let vendors push something you don't want by offering free stuff. Here's another, smell your shirt instead of coffee beans to clear your palate, it works better. I take pride in helping people find that one scent that makes them happy. I love fragrance, so ask me not them.

A gentleman works at Macy provide some good advices on my youtube page.

I always thought it was the other way around

I can see her reaction. (especially here in the U.S.). Most younger people here still gravitate heavily (probably 4 to 1) towards "fresh", "clean", "sporty" type fragrances. (ADG, Light Blue, etc). Granted, the sweeter scents and gourmand scents are making some in roads, but most of those are sweeter than Mugler's scents and don't have the strong older vibe of patchouli, tar, etc. (think 1 Million, La Nuit, Code, etc.). While the A*Men scents are sweet, they also do contain that bit of old powerhouse type masculine underpinnings that many associate with older men. At least that's the way most younger people here in the states that I know of would view A*Men. Basically, anything that has a bit of a edgy or animalic type note doesn't work here in the U.S. with the younger crowd. So they prefer either clean scents, or sweet scents that lean more feminine with no rough edges. Anyway, just my observations with several average younger buyers, so I can understand the SA's comments. I think it may be a bit different in Europe and other areas where they are more open to more musky and animalic type notes. But I can tell you, younger females in the U.S. don't usually like those types of scents (and that's basically who the average guy is buying it to please).

To be completely honest, I've never once smelled A*Men on anyone in public in my area. I just don't think it's a major seller here.
    Last edited by BrianH1016; 21st April 2013 at 07:15 PM.

LOL. Ok. If you want to be just like everyone else go for the mundane fresh frags.
    Jeez man, don't be afraid to be different. I was rocking PS Cologne when I was 17 w/o any problems (just for a comparison).

WTF is wrong with SAs? If I was working there and you came to try Pure Havane then I would tell you how awesome it was and how great it would smell on you and that it is perfect for your age group.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Two years back, I had my then 16 year old nephew spray A*men, Rochas Man and Animale Animale on his arms.
    At the time he owned about 60 scents, courtesy of his generous uncle.
    His reaction to all three was that they were disgusting - who would wear such things? He thought A*men the worst of the lot.

He's only a sample of one, but I suspect the SA may not have been far off the mark. Numerous youngsters are now growing up with very inexpensive but very fresh Axe/Lynx, Addidas, Playboy and Nike scents. The older orientals (from a dozen years ago) may well seem old to them.
    Regards,
    Renato

I sprayed some on my arm and asked her if she likes this smell. She told me "who would want to smell like tobacco". She also told me Mugler scents are just "weird". The thing is, she didn't try to push me to buy other scents, suggesting she is giving her genuine opinion.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes she is crazy.

The average SA has the I.Q. of the average blowup doll.