Code of Conduct

Default Sample Pass (USA): All 5 by The Exotic Island Perfumer Juan M. Perez

CLOSED to new participants: The Discovery Sampler is too lovely not to share. It includes:

Gardenia Exuberante
    Flor Azteca
    Magnolio de Verano
    Oudh Nawab
    Waters of Aswan

These are all EDP and potent, so the 1 ml vials could be experienced by at least 5 people. Sharing of impressions is welcome but not required. Last person will keep the samples. There's a nice review of the line at cafleurbon: http://www.cafleurebon.com/a-journey...mple-set-draw/

participants:

1. bogsc
    2. juanderer
    3. elizrj
    4. Genie Jeanie
    5. PalmBeach

Peace today, Lisa
    Last edited by SaNielsen; 12th May 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: participant order has changed

Default Re: Sample Pass (USA): All 5 by The Exotic Island Perfumer Juan M. Perez

I hope that you all enjoy the beautiful work of my good friend Juan, I KNOW you will...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Default Re: Sample Pass (USA): All 5 by The Exotic Island Perfumer Juan M. Perez

Lisa, I'd love to participate!

Welcome, bogsc!

Lisa, I will refrain from participation this time, but once again thanks for organizing the sample pass.

OT: Meantime, I am plotting Paul Kiler fragrances sample pass (see #2).

Excellent, Twolf, re: a Paul Kiler sample pass! I really like his "Carissa" and have been eyeing a sample set for myself from his line.

Lovely, but I do happen to have samples and a full bottle of Flor Azteca. Juan is a very gifted, and very sweet perfumer. Mourning the loss of the original formulas of Jungle Gardenia and Nectaroma, I find FA to be a wonderfull replacement, The fragrance is full and rich, more like a perfume then a cologne, sweet and deep to behold. This is a perfume to be worn deep in Summer, with a sexy little dress. Juan is generous with samples, too.

Bumping this up, as we're looking for more participants. If you like lush florals, this pass is for you!

SaNielsen, I would love to be involved. You always have such wonderful impressions to impart. I am going to be out of town from May 11 - May 24 so put me in whatever position works with that

thanks!!

Welcome, elizrj! I have put you somewhere in the middle. The list may shift around a bit.

Juan's fragrances just reminded me of the Georgia O'Keefe quote: "Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time."

Lisa

That quote is beautiful Lisa! Thanks for adding me

Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    Welcome, elizrj! I have put you somewhere in the middle. The list may shift around a bit.

Juan's fragrances just reminded me of the Georgia O'Keefe quote: "Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time."

Lisa
    I use that same quote when I speak about being quiet and listening to God...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Probably more folks would like to give these a try? I will be mailing to bogsc soon, but there's time to sign up....

I'd love to sample them, Lisa! "The Exotic Island Perfumer " is just too intriguing to pass up.

Basenotes Plus

Namesake perfumer? I'm in!

Welcome Genie Jeanie and juanderer. That's more like it! I can't wait to hear what you think of these lush compositions.

Basenotes Plus

If you need a 5th, I am more than happy to join the fun.

Welcome, Palm Beach. We'll stop with you.

Samples arrived yesterday! Many thanks Lisa! The packaging of this discovery set is just beautiful. I tried the Gardenia Exuberante this morning. Always worried that gardenia is going to wear me rather than the other way around, but that wasn't the case here. Did a bit of research and in addition to gardenia, the notes apparently include pineapple, golden peach, Italian blood orange, cardamon, dew soaked leaves, ylang ylang, jasmine and coconut. Found the gardenia lovely (nicely subdued) but other top notes were a bit sharp to me, at least for the first 20 minutes or so when I was huffing at my wrists pretty heavily. My guess is that this was the interplay of pineapple and green leaves? Ylang Ylang can be a tough note for me as well. I'm betting the others may be more up my alley and I'm very much looking forward to working my way through them.

Magnolio de Verano

Top Notes
    Bergamot from Reggio Italy, Bolivian Green Lemon, Green Mandarin, Grapefruit and Magnolia sprigs.

Heart Notes
    Magnolia Grandiflora Headspace, Solar Notes, Organic Bourbon Geranium from France and Rosemary Flower.

Base Notes
    Magnolia Wood, Ambergris, Orris Absolute, Sandalwood Absolute and White Musk.

Now this one I really really liked. Citrus top notes are beautifully blended. The transition to softly petaled magnolia and then wood was quite nice. Think it might bloom a little more in the heat. This is definitely a scent I'd like to spend more time with.

Flor Azteca

Unlike Magnolio de Verano, which I think would bloom in a truly lovely way in warmer weather, this is a scent that I think I'd enjoy best when it's a bit brisk outside. Of the 3 I've tried so far, it was the longest lasting on my skin. Notes listed on Perez's Etsy site:

Top Notes
    Fresh Mexican Tuberose, Massoia Bark (Accord) and Chocolatl.

Heart Notes
    Tuberose Absolute, Magnolia, Datura, Fresh Ginger and Pepper.

Base Notes
    Mexican Vanilla, Benzoin, Tonka Bean, Copal Negro, Smoky Woods and Mineral Notes.

I was amazed to see tuberose listed as both top and heart notes when I checked this morning, because almost all I smelled right off the bat and for quite some time was the fresh ginger and pepper, which my skin seemed to amplify. This is another one I need to spend more time with so I can begin to pick out the other notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Lisa, while I'm thinking about it, where did you get the discovery set? At the moment Juan Perez only has full bottles of Magnolia de Verano, Flor Azteca and Waters of Aswan on his Etsy site. I'm guessing the experience is much different when you can spray extravagantly rather than dab judiciously so I'd love to figure out a way to get multiple samples of the scents that I'd like to spend more time with so I can transfer them into a small atomizer for further testing. I think offering to split bottles of some of these scents with a few perfume buddies may ultimately be in my future!
    Last edited by bogsc; 11th May 2013 at 01:40 PM.

bogsc: I got the sample set on etsy. I guess he doesn't always have that available? I might be interested in a split of Flor Azteca sometime in the future.

Genie Jeanie has asked to be moved to later in the pass, so bogsc will be mailing to juanderer. I have adjusted the pass order in the first post.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    I might be interested in a split of Flor Azteca sometime in the future.
    That is one I am looking forward to very much. I had just been wondering if there were any copal-themed fragrances a couple of days before noticing the sample pass.

Flor Azteca is one of the ones I'd definitely consider splitting, along with the Magnolia!

Wore Oudh Nawab yesterday. This one was seriously tenacious! Both top and heart notes lasted a really long time.

Top Notes, Tumeric, Bergamot, Black Pepper, Heart Notes, Oudh from Borneo, Golden Myrrh from Somalia, Allspice, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Saffron, Persian Figs, Dates, Base Notes – Benzoin, Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Frankincense from Oman, Labdanum, Vetiver, Ambergris, Musks.

Definitely got snootfull of tumeric and Oudh right off the bat. Spices and Oudh lingered pleasantly for quite a few hours. Unfortunately was pretty occupied with visit to ailing parent when base notes would have been coming to the fore so didn't pay as much attention to them as I would have liked. I need to spend some more time with this one as well!

Gonna reach out to Juan on Etsy as soon as I've tried last sample to ask if/when he might have small samples of some of these for sale again so I can spend a little more time figuring out which ones I need to own via decants, if not full bottles.

Great reviews, bogsc! Looking forward to hearing what you think of the others. Maybe we should just go to Puerto Rico, find Sr Perez and hug him.