Code of Conduct

Question Millesime Imperial Gone Bad?

First off - it's definitely not a fake.

When I spray the bottle of MI I just got (partially used), I get a TON of alcohol up top. Almost none of the 'melon' smell. Then the alcohol fades and I get the faintest whiff of melon for maybe 5 minutes, then it's gone for good. From there I get salt/marine/ambergris for the remainder of the time that it's on my skin. I have a sample that definitely smells almost nothing like this. Tons of melon, it's beautiful. This one... not so much, not a fan of earthy, musty scents.

It is a tester, and the lot number is etched in the glass (although obviously it was attempted to be removed). The juice is pretty clear. Pretty much what I'm asking is, did I get a bad batch or did my MI go bad? If so, any way to 'fix' it?

Default Re: Millesime Imperial Gone Bad?

From the way your describing it it sounds like MI, but you shouldn't be smelling a lot of alcohol. I'd return it if your not satisfied.

No way to prove except to do a side by side analysis on each hand at maybe another store selling the MI...Or get a new sample.

Return it. It may have been left in light or bad storage.

I'm sure you got a perfectly good bottle.

Well in mine it just seems like the ambergris is there from the beginning, really strongly. It almost eclipses the fruity notes. It makes the whole fragrance really musty and it's really disappointing. The sample I have is definitely MI, it just has the great fruity opening. I bought an empty bottle as well (for the cap) and the juice that is left in it smells way better than the bottle I got as well..

First of all, I love your screen name! House of Leaves right? Secondly, it sounds like you got the bad batch of MI. I dont usually get involved in all these Creed batch arguments cuz most of them are bunk, but it seems there is one batch of Aventus and one batch of MI that truly really are just not all that great. From these two bad batches is where all the annoying creed threads come from. The bad batch of MI is just like you described it: Ambergris heavy, and really salty with little or no fruity melon notes.

Yes! You are the only person to ever know the reference out of all the sites that it is my username! Haha. But man, that sucks if so wish I would've thought to look into that before I bought. I have it in the fridge right now, hopefully that might help the fruitiness come out a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by thehollowaytape View Post
    Yes! You are the only person to ever know the reference out of all the sites that it is my username! Haha. But man, that sucks if so wish I would've thought to look into that before I bought. I have it in the fridge right now, hopefully that might help the fruitiness come out a little more.
    I have actually read House of Leaves 8 times now. I have several editions of it and it is my all time favorite book. But yeah too bad about the MI. I doubt putting it in the fridge would help but you never know, and it certainly wouldnt hurt it.

Did you get this bottle from the sale/swap threads here on BN? I thought I saw a bottle available the other day that the owner said was really salty. Just curious if it was the same one.

It's a bad bottle you got there... i smelled mi like that before...either damaged by heat and light or just a very very bad batch
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Amazing book, my favorite as well. I actually got it off of eBay. It is about 30% used. I am so disappointed right now.

Just awful...
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

If you got it off ebay and its a tester you cant be so sure it's not a fake. Just sayin'.

It doesn't smell fake. It smells exactly like the other two do when they dry down. It has the white under the sprayer, it feels exactly like the other Creed bottle I have when it sprays, no signs of tampering, Tester - not for sale is etched into the glass as is the lot number.

What's the lot #? That'll tell you how old it is. It may have not been cared for properly and be very old.

I've never smelled alcohol in any creed!

No its not fake. Its the one bad batch of MI that exists out there. Its just unfortunate that you wound up with it. Thats why I rarely buy off of ebay. Sorry man!!!

You could always try to swap/sell it here in the marketplace. Just be up front about the batch variation so you dont piss anyone off. You could still probably get something for it. Or just put it back on ebay....Or throw it in the cavernous and ever changing labyrinth that exists beneath your house and let Holloway have something to wear while he goes crazy trying to find his way out.

I have a bottle exactly like that, which I got about 3 years ago. I think it might be spoiled or just old. My bottle was very salty to begin with but definitely original. Lately I sprayed a bit and got a huge hit of alcohol, almost like a gasoline smell, very faint melon and dries down to musk almost wood very shortly.

So...I ordered a sample from the perfumed court to compare, and yeah, it's the same except the sample has lots of melon, no alcohol smell, way less salt and dries down to a smooth warm smell.

Quote Originally Posted by checoivan View Post
    So...I ordered a sample from the perfumed court to compare, and yeah, it's the same except the sample has lots of melon, no alcohol smell, way less salt and dries down to a smooth warm smell.
    Its the same excepts its way different and not spoilt?

Whenever I've had fragrances spoilt, eg long exposure to sunlight and heat, the top notes are gone and the alcohol smell dominates it, the dry down may be reminiscent of the scent but usually you can smell some notes missing and the longevity and projection has been muted.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    What's the lot #? That'll tell you how old it is. It may have not been cared for properly and be very old.

I've never smelled alcohol in any creed!
    I can't quite make it out, since it has been mostly rubbed off. I can get '03W07' on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCollapse View Post
    No its not fake. Its the one bad batch of MI that exists out there. Its just unfortunate that you wound up with it. Thats why I rarely buy off of ebay. Sorry man!!!

You could always try to swap/sell it here in the marketplace. Just be up front about the batch variation so you dont piss anyone off. You could still probably get something for it. Or just put it back on ebay....Or throw it in the cavernous and ever changing labyrinth that exists beneath your house and let Holloway have something to wear while he goes crazy trying to find his way out.
    I'm thinking about the eBay part... if I had the house problem, I may be concerned with a bit more than fragrances though.

Quote Originally Posted by checoivan View Post
    I have a bottle exactly like that, which I got about 3 years ago. I think it might be spoiled or just old. My bottle was very salty to begin with but definitely original. Lately I sprayed a bit and got a huge hit of alcohol, almost like a gasoline smell, very faint melon and dries down to musk almost wood very shortly.

This is pretty much what I'm experiencing... damn you Creed and/or previous owner(s)!

Quote Originally Posted by Osi1s View Post
    Its the same excepts its way different and not spoilt?

Whenever I've had fragrances spoilt, eg long exposure to sunlight and heat, the top notes are gone and the alcohol smell dominates it, the dry down may be reminiscent of the scent but usually you can smell some notes missing and the longevity and projection has been muted.
    It could very well be spoilt... the bottle I have exhibits pretty much these exact properties.

Either way, thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like a bad batch :/
    - Mark

╔GO¤STE! ╔GO¤STE! ╔GO¤STE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I find it's a common occurrence that people find samples to smell better than bottles. It's like when you have a small amount, you enjoy it more - something psychological at work there? It's happened to me. Scarcity principle or something like that.

If you get stuff off ebay and testers or any unauthorized distributor, you have to worry that it's fake or not been kept in appropriate conditions. I know a lot of people want to gloss over that in the desire to save money.