Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A good fig

Default A good fig

I've been looking for a good rendering of fig and have so far tried:

- Marc Jacobs for men: nice but tries to apologize for being a fig by being too soft and "nice", like a fig leaf cut into a circle.
    - Diptyque Philosykos: a true fig leaf, which is a little too harsh and ashy to my nose. Almost makes me choke for a split second.
    - L'Artisan Premier Figuier Extreme: Similar to Philosykos to my nose with noticeable sandalwood.
    - Serge Lutens Bios et Fruits: I've been fooled into thinking this has fig in it. Couldn't find fig.

And today I tried what I think may be the best fig to my nose: Heeley's Figuier. This is a mature, sweet fig with hints of green grass and what smells like cucumber to me. The musk base and the rhubarb opening give it its uniqueness.

This could either be a beach scent worn with a Hawaii shirt and sandals, or a suit and tie scent. Very nicely done.

What's your favorite fig?

Default Re: A good fig

I am not a huge fan of the note, but my favorite is Armani Privé Figuier Eden. By far the best of the ones I have tried.

Smelled lartisans premier figuier and also figuier by heeley. Between the two, I preferred heeleys figuier

Ineke Hothouse Flower.

The sweet fig fruit in Un Jardin Mediterranee by Hermes.

Last edited by DanielPlainview; 21st April 2013 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I am not a huge fan of the note
    I can sometimes relate. Fig to me requires a certain mood. It can be made easier on the senses when layered with something sharp like pomegranate or honey suckle, in my opinion.

JC

The Diptyque does it nicely.

I don't like sweet, meaty fig scents, but I like Heeley's Figuier. It's dry and green and quite a realistic fig leaf. It's stark and very focused. My partner is also fond of Ninfeo Mio, which adds a nice citrus top note to a very subtle, green fig.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 21st April 2013 at 02:32 AM.

I'm not an expert in this category, but Salvatore Ferragamo PH is a very nice woody fig fragrance in a super-cool bottle that can be had for very little money. I can't imagine that any man looking for fig fragrances would be sorry to add this one to his wardrobe.

Richard by M Micallef does fig well.

Try Davidoff's Good Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I can sometimes relate. Fig to me requires a certain mood. It can be made easier on the senses when layered with something sharp like pomegranate or honey suckle, in my opinion.

JC
    Interesting idea. I need to try that.

Paul Kiler

I can't really speak to any of these other fig scents already mentioned, but I wanted to say that I have enjoyed the fig frag named "Kadota" from my fellow perfumer Mike Storer.

His website is down, he's been revamping. But if you'd like a sample, I could send you one, and if you wanted a bottle, I would pass on the request to Mike....
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Jardin de Kerylos is my favorite.

Ill throw one in for Mother - by Opus Oils

Potent and very smooth take on fig and cocoa/chocolate.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/320...c-by-Opus-Oils

Apart from that my vote would be for Philosykos
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I prefer sweet fig smells, the fruit rather than the leaves. So as well as the Hermes mentioned above, I like Fico di Amalfi.
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    The sweet fig fruit in Un Jardin Mediterranee by Hermes.

This also gets my vote from the frags I've tried - it has a radiant 'perfumey' edge to it as well as fig.

I'm also looking for a good fig fragrance and I'm busy testing them all. I liked Diptyque Philosykos but found it a bit weak as I did L'Artisan Premier Figuier Extreme.

I placed an order for Heeley's Figuier, but after seeing all the great suggestions above I cancelled it and ordered more samples instead

Salvatore Ferragamo PH, Good Life and Dune PH are my favourite fig leaf scents, in that order.
    Regards,
    Renato

How does the Ferragamo compare to the Dune, if I may ask? I am wearing Dune PH today but am interested in the other; would owning both be redundant?

Premier Figuier (Extrème) by L'Artisan Parfumeur (I find both versions quite different), followed by Philosykos and Jardin de Kerylos.

Other nice fig fragrances:
    Flagrant Délice by Terry de Gunzburg
    Wild Fig an Cassis by Jo Malone
    Ichnusa by Profumum Roma
    Bois Naufgragé by PG

I beg you to sample the HERMES before deciding. Jardin Mediterranee is everything you need.

Basenotes Plus

An inexpensive option (considering all the others that have been mentioned) is the original John Varvatos.

Not overly sweet but definitely not dry either, smooth, very natural smelling, has both the fig fruit and the leaf. Masculine, as there's a hint of leather in the base, sort of reminiscent of a soft leather jacket (ie: not a strong biker jacket scent, just very light interpretation of leather, or perhaps suede). The base has nice light woody accord too (sandalwood?) which works great.

It's an underappreciated little gem, flying under the radar as its not niche nor an expensive designer option. I like it a lot.

As mentioned Un Jardin Mediterranee and Jardin de Kerylos, plus Verveine Figuier by Phaedon.
    Always keep Ithaca on your mind. Cavafy

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I can't really speak to any of these other fig scents already mentioned, but I wanted to say that I have enjoyed the fig frag named "Kadota" from my fellow perfumer Mike Storer.

His website is down, he's been revamping. But if you'd like a sample, I could send you one, and if you wanted a bottle, I would pass on the request to Mike....
    Thanks for the offer, pkiler. I've made an order on some more samples so I don't want to overwhelm myself I'll get in touch with you if none of the samples turn out good.

JC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I beg you to sample the HERMES before deciding. Jardin Mediterranee is everything you need.
    LOL! It's on my sample list. Couldn't resist the idea of a mediterranean garden scent. Theperfumedcourt will probably take two sloooow weeks to get it to me. Ah well, what's life without the anxiety of anticipation?

JC

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I prefer sweet fig smells, the fruit rather than the leaves. So as well as the Hermes mentioned above, I like Fico di Amalfi.
    On my sample list I completely agree that the fruit smells better than the leaf. Moreover, most people who are allergic to fig are allergic to the waxy coating of the leaves, not to the meat of the fruit.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    An inexpensive option (considering all the others that have been mentioned) is the original John Varvatos.

Not overly sweet but definitely not dry either, smooth, very natural smelling, has both the fig fruit and the leaf. Masculine, as there's a hint of leather in the base, sort of reminiscent of a soft leather jacket (ie: not a strong biker jacket scent, just very light interpretation of leather, or perhaps suede). The base has nice light woody accord too (sandalwood?) which works great.

It's an underappreciated little gem, flying under the radar as its not niche nor an expensive designer option. I like it a lot.
    Yup. This isn't my favorite scent, but I do like it and I've been complimented while wearing it. To me, it's more plum/fig with spice and booze.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post

I've actually just finished a bottle of this. What I smell in it is tamarind. I grew up drinking tamarind drink so this was very familiar to me. I agree that it's very nice, and women love it, but the longevity is poor on my skin. Wish JV would make EDP versions of JV and Artisan.

Basenotes Junkie

Kokrico

Costume National Homme (EDP). Dominant juicy fig note with dry woods in the background. Huge staying power and sillage with obvious quality. It's my girlfriends favourite out all my fragrances.