Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The West Ridings of Yorkshire
    Posts
    95

    Default My enthusiasm is waning

    This may not be my first thread and I might have commented on a couple of things till now, but I'm still, "just starting out"
    I've been following so many interesting threads since joining and learnt so much; my tastes have already changed as a new world was introduced to me. I've successfully participated in a split, communicated in private messages with some great members, one in particular(you know who you are) and been given some honest expert advice.
    But I find myself now getting bored. How can that be? you ask, you've only just scraped the tip of the iceberg.
    While this may be true, it can't be denied that this blasted Aventus thing is pretty tedious and tiresome.
    It's the same thing over and over and over again, why can't members just learn not to respond to the same old arguments with the same old answers?
    It is for this reason, that if a dull member decides to comment with a dull argument as to why this same old, same old Creed Aventus disagreement should be rekindled every couple of days, I will do exactly what I'm asking others to do, ignore it. I'm not being rude and I certainly don't wish to offend, however......it's boring.

  2. #2
    Super Member VintagePoison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    I don't visit the Male Fragrance section much anymore due to the same reasons. The rest of Basenote is still fun and there are lots to explore! Try out some blogs, too.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

  3. #3

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    I have long wished for more subforums on the basenotes site.

    For a example of what can be done have a look at watchuseek, which is a website for watch collectors and enthusiasts. They offer subforums for different watch manufacturers, different styles of watches, different nationalities of manufacture, different price ranges, etc.

    i prefer this approach because it's easier for me to find information on a given subject. I can check out the threads for a particular manufacturer I'm interested in or get ideas about a specific style of watch without having to sort through an endless number of unrelated threads. This seems more organized and user friendly than simply lumping everything together in one place.

    Basenotes has added several new subforums over the years, which has helped, but these groups are rather ambiguous - just starting out, fragrance industry, etc. What goes into them is a matter of judgement by the posters and/or the moderators. A Creed forum, there's no mistaking what goes there!

    Basenotes has been reluctant to add subforums in the past, so I wouldn't expect this to change. But I feel your frustration and wish the material would be organized more efficiently.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The West Ridings of Yorkshire
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Watchuseek is a perfect example. I couldn't agree with you more.

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    77,523

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    It's best to just pick and choose what to read and comment on.

  6. #6
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The West Ridings of Yorkshire
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Well yes hednic, that's the obvious. There's nothing easier than just to ignore any thread that mentions the word Aventus, or Creed, for that matter and the problem is solved. Alas my dilemma is far more serious than just tedium. My problem is the disappointment when realisation hits, that certain Bn members, who previously I would look to for indirect advice and suggestions are really quite benign.

  7. #7
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    77,523

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Perhaps then a self imposed hiatus of an undetermined time is necessary until your enthusiasm returns, if it returns.

  8. #8
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The West Ridings of Yorkshire
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    "It is for this reason, that if a dull member decides to comment with a dull argument as to why this same old, same old Creed Aventus disagreement should be rekindled every couple of days, I will do exactly what I'm asking others to do, ignore it."

  9. #9

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    But I find myself now getting bored. How can that be? you ask, you've only just scraped the tip of the iceberg....it's boring.
    I've felt this way too, particularly with rgds to to the # of repetitive Creed threads, unfortunately, a forum like this can't be restricted, so just check the reviews on any new / old frag that u might be interested in buying in the near future and as Hednic said, take a self imposed hiatus from BN

  10. #10
    CologneFan85
    Guest

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    It's simple , just make your own topics or comment on non creed or aventus threads. Problem solved.

  11. #11

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    It's simple , just make your own topics or comment on non creed or aventus threads. Problem solved.
    this

  12. #12

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I have long wished for more subforums on the basenotes site.

    For a example of what can be done have a look at watchuseek, which is a website for watch collectors and enthusiasts. They offer subforums for different watch manufacturers, different styles of watches, different nationalities of manufacture, different price ranges, etc.

    i prefer this approach because it's easier for me to find information on a given subject. I can check out the threads for a particular manufacturer I'm interested in or get ideas about a specific style of watch without having to sort through an endless number of unrelated threads. This seems more organized and user friendly than simply lumping everything together in one place.

    Basenotes has added several new subforums over the years, which has helped, but these groups are rather ambiguous - just starting out, fragrance industry, etc. What goes into them is a matter of judgement by the posters and/or the moderators. A Creed forum, there's no mistaking what goes there!

    Basenotes has been reluctant to add subforums in the past, so I wouldn't expect this to change. But I feel your frustration and wish the material would be organized more efficiently.

    An amazing suggestion.
    Maybe a section for the duty free's all around the world ?

  13. #13
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The West Ridings of Yorkshire
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    The sub-forums opportunities are endless and a terrific idea. The tedious ones could carry on with empty discussions about the usual never ending story.

  14. #14
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    While you may find anything to do with Aventus boring, others obviously do not. There are a lot of threads I find quite boring, so I skip over them or begin and then stop reading them and find something I am interested in. And by the way, do you realize you just started yet another Aventus thread?

  15. #15

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    This thread is a perpetuation of the same Aventus threads that you are encouraging us to ignore.

    Is it really this serious????

  16. #16
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The West Ridings of Yorkshire
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Ok, I said I wasn't going to discuss this further, but I think you Creed lovers have to understand my point. Discuss, attack, defend offend...do what you want, I don't care. My argument was not Creed Aventus per se.

    My point was, as a new comer I enjoyed learning new things from people who I believed to be experts and knowledgeable in the field. I looked to certain Bn members to learn and pick up tips. It was only after a while that I realised that several of these experts probably were not as knowledgeable as I had originally thought, in fact, they were Creed Aventus mad, and for this reason I became disillusioned with them.

    So to summarise, discuss what you like. Slag each off (the fors vs the against) as much as you want. I don't care Try to understand that it's not necessarily Creed Aventus, Git, etc etc I find boring. It's the disappointment in who is discussing it. I ask therefore, that any other members who read this and think they have to defend their choice of threads, you don't.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    It happens. There's nothing wrong with taking a break or weaning down. Plenty of other things to do in life.

  18. #18

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Oh dear -- what a shame. There couldn't have been much there in the first place imo.

  19. #19

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    36 posts and you're already complaining.

  20. #20

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Personally, don't mind this format. I pick and choose what posts to read and comment on but I'm still very "new" here, especially compared to some of the OGs. It would be nice to have sub-forums based on manufacturer or type of scent. I think that would wean out some of the more repetitive topics on the boards.

  21. #21

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    I go on and off after my first surge of interest several years ago. The sheer variety is such that in six months there will be more at the usual places you visit. I can't pass up cruising a mall kiosk someplace new.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,146

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    At least 33% of the posts in this thread, so far, mention Aventus- and half of those are from the main complainant.

  23. #23

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    A Creed subforum would make Basenotes a lot more interesting place.

  24. #24

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    ...this blasted Aventus thing is pretty tedious and tiresome.
    It's the same thing over and over and over again, why can't members just learn not to respond to the same old arguments with the same old answers?
    It is for this reason, that if a dull member decides to comment with a dull argument as to why this same old, same old Creed Aventus disagreement should be rekindled every couple of days, I will do exactly what I'm asking others to do, ignore it...
    And yet you seem to have started a thread that has the potential to rehash old arguments about the scent which shall not be named, by adding yet another thread complaining about it.

    Not sure whether this is ironic or meta, or what, but in my day trolling meant something.

    I agree that it is boring, as are the numerous threads complaining that it is boring.

  25. #25
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The West Ridings of Yorkshire
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Last time to try and get my point over.

    I don't care about the discussions per se. How many times do I have to reiterate this!!!

    Have you never been disillusioned with anybody? Someone who you looked to for expert and passionate advice, only to find that they didn't live up to expectations. This is why my enthusiasm is waning. Without mentioning names, when reality hit that certain members are capable of writing and discussing the same chuffin things day after day after day, allow me to have my doubts about them.

    So, Darjeeling, or any other member who refuses to understand my point(I'm not asking for agreement) and is just looking for an argument, go do one. This thread was to express my cynicism in some learned Bn members capabilities to repeat the same old arguments. It's a little bit like children who don't know when to stop.

  26. #26

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    I have to agree with hednic, just be selective,
    and this is what i personally do.
    And for ur interest waning, dont worry it will come back

  27. #27
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    Last time to try and get my point over.

    I don't care about the discussions per se. How many times do I have to reiterate this!!!

    Have you never been disillusioned with anybody? Someone who you looked to for expert and passionate advice, only to find that they didn't live up to expectations. This is why my enthusiasm is waning. Without mentioning names, when reality hit that certain members are capable of writing and discussing the same chuffin things day after day after day, allow me to have my doubts about them.

    So, Darjeeling, or any other member who refuses to understand my point(I'm not asking for agreement) and is just looking for an argument, go do one. This thread was to express my cynicism in some learned Bn members capabilities to repeat the same old arguments. It's a little bit like children who don't know when to stop.
    I hope it isn't me you were looking to for my expertise. Was it me? It was me wasn't it. I apologise, my intentions were never to be some kind of "hero" in your eyes. I hope we can still be freinds.

  28. #28

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    I own over 200 bottles & my enthusiasm hasn't waned.
    I either easily satisfied or you're scrutinizing too hard.

    for swap/sale:





  29. #29
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The West Ridings of Yorkshire
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Dear hedonist222, I have no doubts that you are a passionate and knowledgeable member, in fact, you are one of the members that I have up to now held in high regard and valued your views.
    I truly hope that your apparent difficulty in understanding why my enthusiasm is waning is down to language barriers.

  30. #30

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Maybe another hobby may suit you better. After 40 posts if you already find this forum boring then perfumery obviously isn't really your bag then. That's fine and no problem. I hope you enjoyed some of it whilst you were here. Maybe we will see you on another interest forum to do with 20th century Italian pottery. There is no need for everyone to love perfume.

  31. #31
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The West Ridings of Yorkshire
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    If you are attempting to wind me up, you're doing a good job. The forum isn't boring, it's certain members who are boring. Now go a way, read my reasons why my enthusiasm is waning and don't try to be funny about other peoples interests. I can't believe that someone reading this thread is still unable to understand what I wanted to convey; no one can be that stupid. For this reason I have no doubts that you are just looking for an argument which I'm not interested in having.

  32. #32

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    If you are attempting to wind me up
    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    forum isn't boring, it's certain members who are boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    Now go a way,
    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    and don't try to be funny about other peoples interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    no one can be that stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    I have no doubts that you are just looking for an argument
    Blimey mate... get a grip ......

    No-one is looking for arguments or winding you up or being boring or being funny about interests or even being stupid actually.

    I fear that it is going to be quite impossible to have any positive conversations judging by all your posts which I took the liberty of reading before posting this. I suggest you re-read them yourself and you may see why many who have been here for years take exception to your remarks on a forum we are quite fond of. The people you are rude to about our own interest, those whom we might wish to defend as they are considered our friends.

    If you wish to participate in an active, lively and positive forum, then I suggest you put such matter in your input. You may find the reactions to your posts become more positive as a result.

    Good day sir, and over and out from me. I wish you all the very best in your efforts.

  33. #33

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    Dear hedonist222, I have no doubts that you are a passionate and knowledgeable member, in fact, you are one of the members that I have up to now held in high regard and valued your views.
    I truly hope that your apparent difficulty in understanding why my enthusiasm is waning is down to language barriers.
    No, your English is pretty good. I'd say at least 2nd generation immigrant.

    Jokes aside .

    I could not comprehend that your "enthusiasm would wane" due to a certain perfume being overtly popular.
    Therefore I chose to assume your enthusiasm wanes because of perfumes in general. Hence my initial response.
    What has your enthusiasm for perfumes go to do with a tedious and hyped perfume ? Maybe you weren't clear enough but I see no relation. It'd be like saying you avoid the beach because you get sunburned. Wear sun lotion and disregard Aventus threads.

    for swap/sale:





  34. #34

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    @misterhyde - maybe there will be something of interest to you in Italy.

  35. #35
    Basenotes Junkie lionheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    831

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    My enthusiasm has waned lately, only because, due to my personality, I completely overdosed on perfume, buying like 3 niches a month for a good while. Plus I'm addicted to other things, too, like bowties and ancient coins, etc. It happens. Now I'm getting my enthusiasm back. Thanks to an un-named Italian (wink!), I now have some majorly great suggestions as to where to buy Italian niches in my May travels to Italy.

    About the expert thing. Since I joined in 2009, I have never read anyone say of themselves, "I am an expert." I don't think any of our knowledgable brethren get on here to be resident experts. They are on here for the same reason we are. If they want to get involved in/obsessed with threads, subjects, frags, perfumers that are "over-discuessed," what of it? They have absolutely no responsibility to the rest of us. They are exploring a hobby, just as we are, and they have jobs where they have to be professional, just as we do.

    As they say, take what you want, and leave the rest.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

    "Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

    "It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

  36. #36

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    I read your original post and later explanations, and it it sounds like you're feeling disillusioned because certain members are not what you thought they were: experts. They rehash the same old arguments about the same old perfumes. Correct?

    I think - maybe - your initial enthusiasm was tied up with certain people, and that now that you see them in a different light, it has affected your enjoyment of the forums and perhaps the hobby. It's a hobby that many of us here feel passionate about, and you'll find many evangelists for a certain fragrance or a certain house, and they can be very convincing. But that doesn't mean they are knowledgeable.

    That said, there are very knowledgeable people here. It just takes time to get to know people and to get a feel for Basenotes. I think I got a pretty good handle on whose opinions and posts I hold in highest esteem after hanging around for about a year. I think the solution for you is patience. Very un-glamorous but probably true, like "eat your vegetables" and all the other stodgy advice your doctor gives you but you know is good for you.

    That said, I would venture to suggest a bit of patience when posting replies to your thread as well. Anger doesn't really excuse rudeness, and neither does the fact that most of us don't know each others names on the other side of the monitor. I particularly raised my eyebrows at your response to mumsy, who, I believe from her history here, is a fun and gracious lady.

    If you continue hanging out here I hope you will find it as fun as you did, and as enjoyable as most of us do.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

    -ROTS


  37. #37
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: My enthusiasm is waning

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It's best to just pick and choose what to read and comment on.
    BUT like I have said before...when you click on a thread entitled "your favorite tar note fragrance" and some dolt posts "Aventus isn't tar based, but you MUST try it!!!" I just want to scream...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Similar Threads

  1. Enthusiasm for your collection
    By dwrestle in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th February 2012, 06:29 PM
  2. Does your spouse/partner share your fragrance tastes and enthusiasm?
    By petruccijc in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 15th June 2008, 02:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •