Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy III for a man: EDT or Parfum?

This is a question about the vintage formulas. And I am the man Honestly, I don't know if this is a fragrance I'll be able to pull off, but I am still fascinated by the idea -- enough to blind-buy GIII in either EDT or parfum strength. I figure I can always find a better home for it if things don't work out between us.

So, are there appreciable differences in character between the two?

Default Re: Givenchy III for a man: EDT or Parfum?

Regrettably, I have never smelled the parfum, and I'm curious too. I'd imagine it to be very expensive, so if you can find it at a reasonable price, jump into it.

I don't see the problem with pulling off GIII. I find green chypres perfect for men, and GIII is probably was cleanest of them all.

cacio

I'm just curious about what makes it tempting for you to buy without having smelled it!

But for the record I love it and think it will definitely work on a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I'm just curious about what makes it tempting for you to buy without having smelled it!

Well, I could go on about that at some length I have tried a few "unisex" scents and found they work fine on me, with the exception of O de Lancome (too sweetly floral). And I have read reviews of other “women’s” scents in which the reviewers describe them as having masculine qualities - either a positive or negative, depending on the individual. Givenchy III is one of these.

But as to your question... I tend to like earthy, green accords; I love Givenchy Gentleman (vintage); also - and this may be the least rational - I feel drawn to G III because it was released the year I was born! I like to wear fragrances that evoke a sense of a specific time as much as anything else. And something about the descriptions of Givenchy III makes me think there’s a bit of 1970 right there in the bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I don't see the problem with pulling off GIII. I find green chypres perfect for men, and GIII is probably was cleanest of them all.
    Yeah, I've made up my mind to give it a go. Keeping an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    But as to your question... I tend to like earthy, green accords; I love Givenchy Gentleman (vintage); also - and this may be the least rational - I feel drawn to G III because it was released the year I was born! I like to wear fragrances that evoke a sense of a specific time as much as anything else. And something about the descriptions of Givenchy III makes me think there’s a bit of 1970 right there in the bottle.
    Thanks! It sounds like a good bet, then (and I'm the same year, so I do get what you mean). Hopefully you can find it to test, though, as it's not cheap.

In the meantime, have you tried any of the following:

YSL Y
    Scherrer by Scherrer
    Jacomo Silences
    Bandit by Piguet
    Sisley Eau de Soir ?

Of those, I'd recommend Silences first - it's a gorgeous dry, earthy green, and you can get it online for almost nothing.

The other one that springs to mind is PG's Corps et Ames. I prefer the original version, but the new "apaisante" isn't bad either. I think both are still available.

Good luck!

Indeed, green chypres were one of the 70s waves. I second some of Kagey's suggestions. Silences is relatively close to GIII. A touch earthier, but still neither particularly floral nor too dark. And, as said, it's still being produced, still good (unlike the current GIII, which is too light and citrusy), and inexpensive. Y is probably the closest to GIII, very clean too; not sure whether it's still in a good state (I doubt) or one has to buy vintage (I think vintage has a slanted Y).

Bandit is one of my top 3 perhaps - but it's a different story, it's a butch leather.

cacio

Kagey,
    Of the ones you listed, YSL Y is the only one I'm likely to have a chance to try for not too much money. And given how much I like some of the older YSL men's fragrances, Y could be one to check out as well. The Jacomo is not available here, and the others are going to be tough finds at a price I'm willing to pay. Still, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Kagey,
    Of the ones you listed, YSL Y is the only one I'm likely to have a chance to try for not too much money. And given how much I like some of the older YSL men's fragrances, Y could be one to check out as well. The Jacomo is not available here, and the others are going to be tough finds at a price I'm willing to pay. Still, I'll keep an eye out for them.
    Oh sorry - I saw the US flag and didn't catch that you're in Tokyo! Well, here's hoping you stumble across an opportunity to smell some of these.

Parfum all the way The depth of fragrance is not comparable between the two and longevity is so much better, needing just a small dab to smell heavenly for even the longest of days. None of the Edt or EdPs that I've smelled in vintage versions has survived this long without at least starting to lose the depth of the fragrance.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    Parfum all the way [...] just a small dab to smell heavenly for even the longest of days.
    Yep, I reckon I should just go all the way

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I got my hands on a 7ml (1/4 oz) parfum, NIB.
    I haven't opened it yet and must say I feel hesitant. It has quite an appeal just as an object.

The juice looks lighter in person, like the color of a nice whiskey.