Code of Conduct

Default A Fall, hayride type of smell that's "American" to its feel?

I tried Bois Blond, and I love the idea, but the tobacco smell was too much. Any others that would fit? Apple, pumpking, hay, woods, anything along those lines?

EDIT: FYI, I have tried Ambre Narguile by Hermes and I bought it for selective use. No woodsy notes to it, no "hay".
    Last edited by noideawhatimsaying; 22nd April 2013 at 01:34 AM.

Default Re: A Fall, hayride type of smell that's "American" to its feel?

Tubereuse 3 L’Animale has some of what you are looking for, but not the whole picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Dior Homme intense has a baked apple feel and some woods (no obvious pumpkin, though). For hay, the reference is Chergui, but not enough fruits there.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Dior Homme intense has a baked apple feel and some woods (no obvious pumpkin, though). For hay, the reference is Chergui, but not enough fruits there.

cacio
    I despise, despise Chergui. So powdery, so feminine.

Carbone Balmain if you like woods. More like pencil shaving wood. Inexpensive as well.

Boss Bottled would fit that scenario for me

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing that came to mind for me was Spice and Wood from Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgator01 View Post
    Despise it. Way, way too peppery.

Post Thanks / Like

Cartier IV L'Heure Fougueuse. It might be just what you're looking for.

They're challenging, but you might want to consider Slumberhouse's Sova for the hay component (although it's more complex than that), and Norne for woods. Although I think you'd be hard pressed to map a fragrance onto such a feeling, these would probably be closer in that they're made in the Pacific NW and, even though they're not designed with Americana in mind, they certainly convey a woodsy, country-esque quality. Hard to describe, but worth looking into -- especially if you want to venture into real artistic perfumery and away from run-of-the-mill scents.

Actually, I just noticed your tobacco concerns, and that might kill these for you. I dunno, I'd give them a shot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    They're challenging, but you might want to consider Slumberhouse's Sova for the hay component (although it's more complex than that), and Norne for woods. Although I think you'd be hard pressed to map a fragrance onto such a feeling, these would probably be closer in that they're made in the Pacific NW and, even though they're not designed with Americana in mind, they certainly convey a woodsy, country-esque quality. Hard to describe, but worth looking into -- especially if you want to venture into real artistic perfumery and away from run-of-the-mill scents.

Actually, I just noticed your tobacco concerns, and that might kill these for you. I dunno, I'd give them a shot anyway.
    Thanks. I actually ordered a sample pack from them. So far, my favorite scents are A*Male's Pure Malt, CDG's Avignon, Etro's Messe de Minuit (arguably this can pass as what I'm looking for), Ambre Narguile, and the "standards" Acqua di Gio (purely for women, need a "clubby" scent) and L'eau D'issey Poure Homme.

Feel free to check my other thoughts here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0R09tTlE#gid=0

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Versace Eau Fraiche maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Thanks. I actually ordered a sample pack from them.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0R09tTlE#gid=0
    Just keep in mind that they're challenging, but weirdly rewarding. I think I looked your spreadsheet actually, and noticed that you liked Avignon -- which, I think, is a tough scent in some ways too (which is why I love it). The thing with Slumberhouse is just to try them and sit out the ride -- his stuff is more of an experience than anything in that Norne will really make you feel as though you're in a forest and Sova will make you feel as though you've been rolling in some hay while drinking heavily. The smokiness might take some adjustment -- especially in Jeke (if you're getting that) -- but it's hard to look at other scents the same way after spending some time with these. Fingers crossed!

Just keep in mind that they're challenging, but weirdly rewarding. I think I looked your spreadsheet actually, and noticed that you liked Avignon -- which, I think, is a tough scent in some ways too (which is why I love it). The thing with Slumberhouse is just to try them and sit out the ride -- his stuff is more of an experience than anything in that Norne will really make you feel as though you're in a forest and Sova will make you feel as though you've been rolling in some hay while drinking heavily. The smokiness might take some adjustment -- especially in Jeke (if you're getting that) -- but it's hard to look at other scents the same way after spending some time with these. Fingers crossed!
    Thanks so much. As mentioned, Bois Blond is PHENOMENAL initially then it hits so hard on the tobacco it smells like I've been smoking. Though it's worth a revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    it hits so hard on the tobacco it smells like I've been smoking.
    Oh, just you wait...

Post Thanks / Like

They're challenging, but you might want to consider Slumberhouse's Sova for the hay.
    My first thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    My first thought as well.
    Same. Do try Sova.

It probably doesn't have any of the notes you are looking for, but your request conjured up Itasca by Lubin for me.

Post Thanks / Like

What on earth is an "American feel"?

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgator01 View Post
    Yes. Many notes in this one remind me of fall. I love it so much I wear it all the time though.

Post Thanks / Like

Something between Old Spice (possibly, the vintage version) and Halston Z-14, two classical American scents, either apart or even layered suggest this feeling to me, apart from the hay notes, most of the other autumn-like notes of spice, woods, slight tobacco, some moss, even some pumpkin-like suggestions are more or less perceptible to my nose.
    Like a very aromatic, fragrant and mild autumn day, possibly during a stroll in the countryside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Perhaps high fiving and clapping in the cinema? :-p

CologneFan85

Pure Havane aor BOSS bottled

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Boss Bottled would fit that scenario for me
    I agree I cant put my finger to why But I can agree

- - - Updated - - -

And Bond No 9 NY Amber

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Sova and Dzing!

Very well written - I'll second every word here - i do hope u like an unique / bold concept, as Slumberhouse frags are such...

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Heh. I totally get what you're saying, and I think what the OP is referring to is "Americana" -- which, in itself, is profoundly hard to describe as a smell, let along in any other ways. But I think what he (?) might be getting at is something that mixes the natural environment with nostalgia. It's more of a constructed aesthetic than anything -- think along the lines of sepia tones, something oddly familiar and comforting, and less belligerence, ignorance, and crappy country music.

According to another thread, Josh described his intentions for the scent, stating that it should have "an almost contemplative/meditative type atmosphere, something leaning masculine and solitary and reminding me of the rustic settings around the estates where my grandparents lived, Tilghman Island and Tunis Mills (or more specifically, Leeds Landing)." Personally, I think he accomplished that very well.

Of course, you can get this sensation anywhere -- and none of the above is limited to an "American feel" -- but I think that might be what the OP is after. I suggested Sova because of the hay and booze, mainly because, as far as I know, all Americans are drunken farmers
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd April 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Why not just get some Hay? Or Fieno, if you are shopping in Italy.

Hay is complex enough that a simple tincture of hay absolute smells just great. I recommend Abdes Salaam's French hay: http://www.profumo.it/title/Hay/pid/197

Go right to the source and ask the horse . . .
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm about the only one, but I always got an "American Thanksgiving" feel from Burberry London. Everyone else says Christmas, which I can understand. But the baking apples and spice feel is, to me, more autumnal than early Winter. (This doesn't help with the hay, tho'. Sorry. )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cosmopolit View Post
    Why not just get some Hay? Or Fieno, if you are shopping in Italy.
    Right, there's also Santa Maria Novella's Fieno. (Which means "hay" in Italian.)

CologneFan85

[QUOTE=DaveStPaul;2948619]I know I'm about the only one, but I always got an "American Thanksgiving" feel from Burberry London. Everyone else says Christmas, which I can understand. But the baking apples and spice feel is, to me, more autumnal than early Winter. (This doesn't help with the hay, tho'. Sorry. )

couldnt agree more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Perhaps high fiving and clapping in the cinema? :-p
    I thought maybe burgers...