Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Does Age Define Taste?

Everyone's different of course, but i'll bet the vast majority of people who buy Kouros are 35+

I'm hoping to graduate to Creeds when I hit 70...

Over all, no. However, marketing and susceptibility to marketing play a role in tastes.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

I'm of the 'Correlation does not imply Causation' camp.

After reading the OP, I'd think the title would be better "Does Age Determine One's Preference for a Fragrance?"

That said, I'd bet the mean age of those liking Kouros/Aramis/Polo etc. is quite a bit higher than the mean age of those that throw around the disparaging comments re the like. Likewise, I'd bet the mean age of the crowd currently fawning over Aventus is quite a bit lower than the mean age of those that don't like it or think it is average at best. I think it has alot to do with what is/was cutting edge, fashionable and/or otherwise appealing during the salad days of one's life.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

No. Money define's taste.

No but there's definitely a correlation between age and experience, and experience and taste.

IMO age has a bearing on possibly the sweeter aspects of taste. I veer towards the dry and well blended as I test more.

Does anyone find their taste in frags getting any sweeter as they go on sampling?
    Currently wearing: Civet by Houbigant

What a grand discussion.

After age 8, your olfactory ability is in decline. Later in life is a sharper decline.
    So there is the physical aspect.

Experience. Just like Sommeliers, the fraghead learns to discern notes and their origins with experience. There is also the fact that as you get older you care less and less what people younger than you think- eventualy you are going to outlive the target market...

Cultural. Socio-economic correlations are going to play a part, with variance.

Fragrance evolution. Just like food, wine, and just about every other hobby, the whole thing is evolving. There is better technology, newly discovered/created aromachemicals, and the Fragance Culture evolving.

If you think of fragrance as an extension of fashion, then if an older person likes to wear clothes that were popular a decade ago, they will probably like to wear fragrance from the same era.

Younger people, who follow the fashion of their time, will probably wear more contemporary colognes.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    IMO age has a bearing on possibly the sweeter aspects of taste. I veer towards the dry and well blended as I test more.

Does anyone find their taste in frags getting any sweeter as they go on sampling?
    I don't think so, but I do like a bit of sweetness. If I were to characterize my tastes, I'd say that I like orientals, green florals, chypres, and generally anything spicy. Yesterday I smelled a Victoria's Secret perfume that was floral and fruity, in fact, it was distinctly peachy, but in a very artificial way. Not to my liking.

Depends on many factors, as well as product categories and the way they are bought and use.

Chances are 50 yo men won't use the same clothes 20 yo kids use. In terms of music, things are not the way they used to be: 50 y guys will listen to some of the music listened by their sons. And some 50 yo guys will want to feel young again and they will behave in shopping terms, the way younger men do.

In terms of scents, memory does play an important role. So, some my age will buy a scent due to the memories they trigger. This might not be a rule applying to all, but... I bet it might be a reason behind some preferences.

On the other hand, I did change my tastes in olfatory terms.

I think it can, but only if the person in question remains open to experiencing new things. When I was younger, I had no taste really. At that point, I was just trying desperately fit in. Now, I am more selective. But I'm also open to new and unexpected things. I'm 41, but I know others my age who are stuck in the 80's still. Same hairdo, same decor, same fragrance. They are afraid, often, of looking to young and immature. However, I know some 70 year olds who are very 'with it'. They can enjoy new music, new styles of clothing, new foods, etc. It's all about whether or not you're willing to take risks. I think taking risks, intelligently, can lead to an improvement in taste.

Basenotes Plus

In my opinion it has less to do with age than experience.
    I sampled a fragrance this evening that was very obviously full to the brim with some synthetics that were not to my taste.
    Would someone of any age who only knew similar have rejected it as quickly?

With age comes perspective. Taste, for some, is only found in one's mouth.
    Last edited by The Colognnoisseur; 4th November 2013 at 05:02 AM.
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

There are some old and young people with appalling taste here. For instance, some of them actually wear A*men and think it smells 'attractive' and 'appealing'.

And that's just one example.

Quote Originally Posted by staticx View Post
    Absolutely not but with age (experience) your nose gets refined and taste changes automatically...
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    In my opinion it has less to do with age than experience.
    Agree with this way of thinking. Ideally the latter would increase as the former increases but it doesn't always happen that way.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I am still attempting to fully comprehend the intent or what the question is asking

Being considered as having taste or doing what is tasteful is a social construct mediated by marketing, consumerism, adherence to the status quo, income, exposure, culture, etc. From that perspective I would say that as we age most tend to become more conformed and abandon some of the more rebellious, non-conformist ways of our youth. In that respect, the average older fragrance shopper would likely purchase something they think would be more socially accepted by their peer group, income bracket and possibly dictated by marketing. With all that is readily available, I don't think that it would correlate to any specific fragrance genre like leathers vs. aquatics vs. chypres, etc. Also, there are many in all age groups that conform to social norms regarding fragrance choice, how many times have you seen threads that asks what is the perfect safe for work scent, the date night scent, the wedding scent, the panty-dropper, even crazy ones like the funeral scent for the deceased. Granted that you do indeed enjoy the fragrance, it depends on if your a trend setter or trend follower, a cookie cutter cat or a real live wire. Style over fashion, IMHO.

If the question is asking whether or not we develop a preference or desire for a particular fragrance genre, still, I don't think so. I think most like me and my fellow enthusiast will always like certain scents, always not like certain scents, grow to like some and grow to not like some, with no real rhyme or reason, most of us here are just chasing dragons and unicorns, trying to pull excalibur out of the stone. Whereas, most fragrance users and many of us in our pre-BNs life, would just be content using the same 2-3 scents for life, I see many who say that they wore xyz fragrance for umpteen years, and would have likely continued doing so, before finding BNs or becoming more deeply interested in fragrances.
    Last edited by PEARL; 3rd November 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Experience is important and easier to have when one is not very young.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    And as Oscar Wilde noted, "Youth is wasted on the young."
    LOL!

And experience is wasted on the old!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL!

And experience is wasted on the old!
    LOL, Red!

Age does not define taste. Taste defines taste. Many young people like and wear "old man" and "old woman" scents because they are sick of the plethora of men's aquatics and the numerous women's candy fruity gourmands offered all the time.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel