Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ordered 5 colognes, dislike all of them, need advice please!

Just got really into the fragrance world and blind bought a bunch of fragrances and 5 came in the mail today. I dislike all of them very much. Here are my thoughts
    Versace dreamer- honestly smells like something my grandma used to wear, so synthetic, no powder or vanailla like people described.3/10
    Midnight in Paris edt- putred,if I smell this for more than 5 seconds I will gag. The leather note is so synthetic and horrible, it's repulsive.2/10
    Givenchi PI- nothing special, smells like the vanilla lipgloss girls used to wear in middle school, but not as good,4/10.
    Cool water- wow, smells like a 10 dollar bottle of cologne from cvs or Walmart.smells like Brut after shave too me.2/10
    MJ legend -the best(and cheapest) of the 5.and that's not saying much.still smells very synthetic.i picture a fat old man wearing this.not memorable at all. 4/10

Why do people give these such good reviews? Is my nose just off? I would NEVER wear any of these. Returning all of them but the PI becuse the bottle is unique. I have dior homme and a sample of creed aventus coming. Hopefully I get one I like. For now le male and Touch will be my scents. Man what a let down.

Default Re: Ordered 5 colognes, dislike all of them, need advice please!

Sorry you had unpleasant experiences. People just react differently to different fragrances. I personally am fine with MIP, Pi, and Cool Water and own all three, but can understand and respect those who don't like them.

Advice: Don't blind buy bottles.

Midnight in Paris is one of my favourites. When I first smelled it, I didn't like it; A few months later I tried it again and liked it a lot.

Basenotes Plus

The only (and best) advice is not to buy blind.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

your nose is destined for niches, not designers
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I'm thinking so, always have had expensive taste, I guarentee I will LOVE creed, but 200 for a signature spring/ summer scent is not bad at all.its something ill wear daily so don't find a problem in spending the money on high quality.

...sample first...!
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

Try giving them more time, you will learn to appreciate it for what it is,
    and not what you want them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    I don't want them to be anything just a scent I love. Don't know enough about fragrances to want them to be anything but a enjoyable and pleasant smell to my senses.well ill keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Falco4758 View Post
    I'm thinking so, always have had expensive taste, I guarentee I will LOVE creed, but 200 for a signature spring/ summer scent is not bad at all.its something ill wear daily so don't find a problem in spending the money on high quality.
    The comment in bold up above had me laughing pretty good. Just because something cost 200$ does not mean it is going to be good. You may end up hating some of those as well or you may end up saying you like it because you know.... it cost 200$!
    Living each day one spray at a time

Banned
    Blog Entries

Versace dreamer- a great fragrance but the performance and note organization are both poor

Midnight in Paris edt- i like this one, but i have to be in the mood for it

Givenchi PI- it's good, i like it. i dont think i would buy it though.

Cool water - i really like it, i get a lot of compliments from it

MJ legend - never tried it

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    The comment in bold up above had me laughing pretty good. Just because something cost 200$ does not mean it is going to be good. You may end up hating some of those as well or you may end up saying you like it because you know.... it cost 200$!
    I Stated I like MJ legend the best out of the 5 and it was the 1/6 of the price of them so no, I wouldn't say I like something I didn't becuse of the price, that's just silly, people do that? Just need pleasant scents ,price is irrelevant! Ck be is one of my fav scents, 25 bucks for 4oz

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Versace dreamer- a great fragrance but the performance and note organization are both poor
    Haha, wtf does that mean? Longevity is stellar and it's a pretty seamless composition. Some people seem to have a problem with the juniper in the opening (I'll never understand why), but after that it's smooth sailing.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Shame, bad luck. But as others have said, you're better to sample until you're sure about getting a full bottle of anything.

Sample what you can in your local stores for free and order samples of niche hard to find stuff from somewhere like Luckyscent or the Perfumed court. Spend your time to find what you enjoy.

Then you'll be objectively able to spend your hard earned cash on full bottles of frags that you know you love.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Dependent

And your fall-back, Le Male, to me, smells like the cheapest crap fake vanilla to the point of literally nauseating me. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

On me none of these five are good. I sampled but did not buy blind. Long live decants.
    Currently wearing: Bamboo by Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    your nose is destined for niches, not designers
    I was thinking the same until he mentioned he was sticking with Le Male.

Either way, that's a bummer OP. Plenty of good info to be had around these parts, but don't take it at face value. The good news is, you should be able to unload all of those.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    yes....................
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Falco4758 View Post
    Just got really into the fragrance world and blind bought a bunch of fragrances and 5 came in the mail today. I dislike all of them very much. Here are my thoughts
    Versace dreamer- honestly smells like something my grandma used to wear, so synthetic, no powder or vanailla like people described.3/10
    Midnight in Paris edt- putred,if I smell this for more than 5 seconds I will gag. The leather note is so synthetic and horrible, it's repulsive.2/10
    Givenchi PI- nothing special, smells like the vanilla lipgloss girls used to wear in middle school, but not as good,4/10.
    Cool water- wow, smells like a 10 dollar bottle of cologne from cvs or Walmart.smells like Brut after shave too me.2/10
    MJ legend -the best(and cheapest) of the 5.and that's not saying much.still smells very synthetic.i picture a fat old man wearing this.not memorable at all. 4/10

Why do people give these such good reviews? Is my nose just off? I would NEVER wear any of these. Returning all of them but the PI becuse the bottle is unique. I have dior homme and a sample of creed aventus coming. Hopefully I get one I like. For now le male and Touch will be my scents. Man what a let down.
    Everyone has different tastes, no harm in that...

I personally like Cool Water, even love it in its vintage form, and I don't mind PI (while disliking the others on your list including the ones you have incoming samples of) but ask someone else and they may love or dislike all of them, or any combination between. The key is to not just read some reviews and make blind purchase decisions accordingly (or at least not until you know your tastes and the reviewer's preferences *very* well). I made most of my worst blind buy decisions early-on when I joined the site years ago based on hype and consensus reviews, and now have almost none of those early mistakes in my collection... Years later it is rare even with a blind buy that I am disappointed because I know my preferences much better.

All this said, you mentioned in a later post that you can guarantee you will love Creed... May I ask why you are so certain? The house gets a lot of hype, but you should know from your early experience with the fragrances you dislike that what others like may or may not mesh with what you like...

Good luck with the journey...
    Last edited by drseid; 23rd April 2013 at 09:54 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

You should check out the notes of VIW and perhaps buy a SAMPLE of Creed Virgin island Water on FragranceNet if you're interested. They're like $4.99

It's high quality Creed and fairly neutral.

Default Advice

Please, never buy blind. Those frags are all available in the high street and easy to sample. Otherwise, use an online sample shop.

Just keep sampling until you find something you like.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Santal by Floris

I have done that before and learned from mistakes . Try to sample always. Use reviews as a guide , but don't purchase depending on reviews. I would say sample depending on reviews and purchase out of your own experience .

Just go with your nose. Two things though: 1) many scents out there have changed over time and have been reformulated. Cool Water is one. I wore this as a signature scent in the early and mid 90s. I've never had more compliments in my life. The new version isn't bad but I don't get the green or smooth grapish feel I had before. 2) don't take reviews too seriously where you doubt your nose. I basically dont get or lime a high percentage of loved scents on here but really enjoy some panned ones. It's just my nose and skin. You have to realize that everyone here really enjoys this hobby so there may be a more intense view on things vs just someone sniffing around. You also might catch some notes or things discussed in reviews that make you go back a second time and enjoy them more.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    And your fall-back, Le Male, to me, smells like the cheapest crap fake vanilla to the point of literally nauseating me. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I agree with what you said about Le Male. I *adore* the ad campaign, the videos, the bottle. But the juice is simply disgusting.

Basenotes Junkie

Good luck returning fragrances that you've opened and sprayed.

You learn't from your mistake though, don't blind buy!

People keep giving the three of those scents that I own good reviews because, to most people they are good.

Same thing happens with clothes.

You don't agree with the significant number of positive views, and that's fine.
    However, scents are just tools. It's your choice - be unique and satisfied, or wear something that may engage persons you are interested in.
    Regards,
    Renato

Have you tried any green/aromatic ones with good-quality ingredients? Seems like you only try the sweeter ones, and how you can enjoy Le Male while hating some of those others makes no sense to me.

I dont care for any of those 5 either. my advice for next time would be to hit the Crystal Flacon boards and invest in a nice range of decants so you can get a feel of what you like, and not have to burn so much cash on a full bottle that you MAY or may not like.

Patience. Most fragrances takes some time to appreciate, more like acquired taste.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes