Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 58
  1. #1

    Default Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    I just wanted to share a bad experience I had when I was travelling in China, in 2009. I stayed there for 2 months, working on the international MBA program of my school. I was merely a teaching assistant at that time.

    On one of our days off, I decided to go to one of the big shopping centers/malls that are opening everywhere in Beijing. I took a taxi with the english teacher who travelled with our group. He helped students adjust faster to the new language. This guy, like myself, was gay, however he was much older than me and anyone could tell he was gay from his body language, voice etc. In my case, it is more difficult to detect since I don´t have some of the traits usually associated with being gay.

    We both shared a taxi to save some money. I was wearing a very large amount of Eau Sauvage, which I had sprayed all over my neck and chest using a handy 1oz atomizer. Probably more than 6 sprays and less than 10 sprays.

    The taxi driver was courteous to us when we were entering the taxi, but once we got inside, began to talk, and when Eau Sauvage started to fill the atmosphere of the taxi, he became angry. I did notice something was wrong, but it was only when the guy stopped the taxi and got out, that I became worried. He went to speak with a police officer (on a motorcycle) on the street, and was shouting in chinese and looking straight at us, very angry.

    I think he wanted to scare us, but I was not scared one bit. What could he accuse us of? I just ignored all that he was doing and after his outburst he returned to the car, without being accompanied by the police officer. He resumed the trip to the mall. We paid him and went out, scott free.

    So, the lesson that I learned from this experience is that some cultures are still adapting to the new reality concerning sexual freedoms, and the use of fragrances by men.

    Disclaimer: I am merely telling you a personal experience that I had. I don´t know if all taxi drivers in China would react in the same horrible way. I am merely telling what happened to me. Please don´t interpret what I said as a declaration that every chinese person is prejudiced against perfumes and against gays. Also, please do not assume that I am telling that there are a fixed set of rules which enable the detection of sexual preferences.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15,903

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Really it's a mystery why the taxi driver acted that way.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 23rd April 2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

  3. #3

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Really it's a mystery why the taxi driver acted that way.
    His conversation with the police most likely had nothing to do with your perfume.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    His conversation with the police most likely had nothing to do with your perfume.
    Homosexual sodomy was banned in the People's Republic of China from at least the twentieth century, until it was legalized in 1997. It was only in 2001 that homosexuality was removed from the official list of mental illnesses in China.


    If you had seen the way he looked at us, you would have understood.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Homosexual sodomy was banned in the People's Republic of China from at least the twentieth century, until it was legalized in 1997. It was only in 2001 that homosexuality was removed from the official list of mental illnesses in China.

    If you had seen the way he looked at us, you would have understood.
    This is very sad. I many periods of history, people have been persecuted and tolerated. Thank you for the note.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

  6. #6

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    And the worst thing is that the guy probably made the wrong association between "wearing perfume" and "being gay".

  7. #7
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    109,550

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    His conversation with the police most likely had nothing to do with your perfume.
    Agree.

  8. #8
    CologneFan85
    Guest

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Well most people are bothered by Fragrances. Its a love hate thing for the general public.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    Well most people are bothered by Fragrances. Its a love hate thing for the general public.

    But is it reason enough to call the police?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    But is it reason enough to call the police?
    How good is your Chinese?
    How good is your hearing?

    It's safe to assume you hate being prejudged and yet here you are judging the actions and motives of the cab driver.

    I've been to China and members of our group were gay. They were treated exceptionally well. We all were, except for an elderly couple from Florida who were rude rude rude.

    How badly did you stink up the cab? Surely you know enough about Chinese culture to know that wasn't appreciated. I think it's important to be respectful when visiting other countries. I'm not defending China's view on homosexuality. They're 10000% on the wrong side of history and morality with that - but this isn't a gay rights forum. It's a perfume forum.

    The cab driver probably didn't assume you were gay. He probably assumed you were rude for wearing that much perfume in his cab... unless you were going out of your way to make sure your sexuality was an issue, in which case, yeah he knew. Years ago, I dated a woman who was in her late 20s but still felt the need to rebel against her parents. Whenever her parents were around, she couldn't keep her hands off of me. They knew we were dating, but it was very important for her to make sex an issue. She needed them to know that we were having sex. It felt so childish to me. And disrespectful.

    I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume you do the same thing. I assume this because your entire identity on this forum seems to be wrapped up in discussing sexuality rather than discussing perfume. I'm a fierce gay rights advocate (not to mention an advocate for equality, period. That really matters to me). But this is a place to talk about perfume. Let's talk about perfume.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  11. #11

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    How good is your Chinese?
    How good is your hearing?

    It's safe to assume you hate being prejudged and yet here you are judging the actions and motives of the cab driver.

    I've been to China and members of our group were gay. They were treated exceptionally well. We all were, except for an elderly couple from Florida who were rude rude rude.

    How badly did you stink up the cab? Surely you know enough about Chinese culture to know that wasn't appreciated. I think it's important to be respectful when visiting other countries. I'm not defending China's view on homosexuality. They're 10000% on the wrong side of history and morality with that - but this isn't a gay rights forum. It's a perfume forum.

    The cab driver probably didn't assume you were gay. He probably assumed you were rude for wearing that much perfume in his cab... unless you were going out of your way to make sure your sexuality was an issue, in which case, yeah he knew. Years ago, I dated a woman who was in her late 20s but still felt the need to rebel against her parents. Whenever her parents were around, she couldn't keep her hands off of me. They knew we were dating, but it was very important for her to make sex an issue. She needed them to know that we were having sex. It felt so childish to me. And disrespectful.

    I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume you do the same thing. I assume this because your entire identity on this forum seems to be wrapped up in discussing sexuality rather than discussing perfume. I'm a fierce gay rights advocate (not to mention an advocate for equality, period. That really matters to me). But this is a place to talk about perfume. Let's talk about perfume.
    Thank you - saved me a lot of typing.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Perfumophobia is everywhere. Even in the least expected places.

    I wish I had taken a photo of the guy´s face as he looked at us. Then I would have undeniable proof that he hated us for whatever reason. Unfortunately, you will have to be satisfied with my word.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Please read this excerpt from an interview by the Wharton School from Pennsylvania with Michael Ziegler of Asia Development Enterprise:

    http://www.knowledgeatwharton.com.cn...1&languageid=1


    China Knowledge@Wharton: Who are your main customers?

    Ziegler: Our target demographic is women between 18 and 35. It's interesting that we are starting to catch younger customers. In the U.S., some brands are targeting girls 12 and 13 for their perfume business. In China, if you look at a girl of 18, she is much more receptive than a woman of 35, because she doesn’t have a preconceived concept that it's not a good thing. It's just a new thing to her. Women, as a rule, are much more open minded than men in China. There is no way, I mean, there is absolutely no way to sell fragrance to a man over the age of 40 in China. Impossible! They think it's too feminine or whatever. Absolutely not.
    Last edited by DanielPlainview; 23rd April 2013 at 08:49 PM.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15,903

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    DanielPlainview, no one is disputing what took place. The point is to talk about fragrances. If you are not sure why the cab driver acted that way, this thread is based on assumption. No disrespect to you or your sexual preference.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

  14. #14

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    I've spent time in Chinese cities.
    I've traveled with a man while there.
    I wore perfume there.
    I've been in plenty of Chinese cabs.
    I experienced no discrimination of any sort.

    There's nothing wrong with wanting to talk about sexuality in China, but basenotes is not the place.

    By the way... I could tell you amazing things about a cab ride through the Hutong, but I won't. Want to know why? ...because this is basenotes. We're here to talk about perfume.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  15. #15

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    I am talking about Chinese Men's reaction to perfume. They believe it is feminine or gay. And they see this as a negative thing. That is the point. And it is still about perfumes.

  16. #16
    CologneFan85
    Guest

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    But is it reason enough to call the police?
    I didnt say it was.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    522

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I've spent time in Chinese cities.
    I've traveled with a man while there.
    I wore perfume there.
    I've been in plenty of Chinese cabs.
    I experienced no discrimination of any sort.

    There's nothing wrong with wanting to talk about sexuality in China, but basenotes is not the place.

    By the way... I could tell you amazing things about a cab ride through the Hutong, but I won't. Want to know why? ...because this is basenotes. We're here to talk about perfume.
    The topic of the thread was fragrances in China and how they're perceived, until you changed the topic to sexuality in China. I think DanielPlainview has every right to discuss how fragrances are perceived in other cultures on here.

    If your story about the cab ride through Hutong isn't about fragrances, you're right, it's not for Basenotes.

    I find it quite interesting that he was so irate about it. I know the Chinese are very conservative, but Beijing is a rapidly growing city with a myriad of tourists. You'd expect a taxi driver to be understanding that he will encounter different cultures throughout his day, otherwise he would be angry all day every day. Not everyone will tone themselves down when travelling to a more conservative country such as China.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post
    The topic of the thread was fragrances in China and how they're perceived, until you changed the topic to sexuality in China.
    Read the thread from the beginning and you'll find this as the 4th post down.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Homosexual sodomy was banned in the People's Republic of China from at least the twentieth century, until it was legalized in 1997. It was only in 2001 that homosexuality was removed from the official list of mental illnesses in China.


    If you had seen the way he looked at us, you would have understood.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  19. #19

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    You should have asked him if everything is alright (whilst spritzing some more Eau Sauvage on you and your friend).

  20. #20

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    You should have asked him if everything is alright (whilst spritzing some more Eau Sauvage on you and your friend).

    LOL. Yes I should.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    522

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Read the thread from the beginning and you'll find this as the 4th post down.
    I did.

    I think it gives background information as to maybe why the taxi driver had an issue with the heavy use of perfume. From then on the thread continued back to being about fragrances and how they may have been perceived by the taxi driver.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    By the way, I tried to find a store that sold local, national, chinese perfumes, but couldn't find any. All that I found was the regular department store at the mall, which sold European and American perfumes.

    I don't know if China has a tradition of developing their own perfumes, but if the tradition existed once, it seems to be gone now.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    As has been pointed out, this is a community brought together by its mutual interest in perfume. As a gay woman I find the issue of cultural attitudes to homosexuality fascinating, but rather out of place in MFD. Can I remind people that posting to a thread for any reason, to argue, agree, condemn, bumps the thread and keeps it fresh. If this thread isn't of interest please do not post to express that view, please find or start a thread that does interest. If this thread is of interest, please keep the discussion about cultural attitudes to perfume and men/women wearing perfume, rather than cultural attitudes to gay men, the discussion of which I can happily recommend many forums for and books on the subject of. Thank you.

    D


  24. #24

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    I'm not a fan of Eau Savage either.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    how do you know he was complaining about you? this assumption is absurd.

    maybe he was complaining about something else on the road.

    you're very self centered & love drama

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume you do the same thing. I assume this because your entire identity on this forum seems to be wrapped up in discussing sexuality rather than discussing perfume. I'm a fierce gay rights advocate (not to mention an advocate for equality, period. That really matters to me). But this is a place to talk about perfume. Let's talk about perfume.
    completely agree with the above
    for swap/sale:



  26. #26

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Should have worn Aventus.

  27. #27
    Surfacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Day Dream
    Posts
    4,490

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Those damn Chinese cab drivers *shakes fist in the air*
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  28. #28

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    I just can't believe the OP thinks it's in any way appropriate to prejudge the people of an entire nation based on one experience in a cab where he admits he was wearing, and I quote:

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    a very large amount of Eau Sauvage
    The cab driver was courteous, until...

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    The taxi driver was courteous to us when we were entering the taxi, but once we got inside, began to talk, and when Eau Sauvage started to fill the atmosphere of the taxi, he became angry.
    The OP stank up a cab to the point where the driver got out. And what's the lesson he learned from this?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    So, the lesson that I learned from this experience is that some cultures are still adapting to the new reality concerning sexual freedoms, and the use of fragrances by men.
    #FACEPALM
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  29. #29

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I am talking about Chinese Men's reaction to perfume. They believe it is feminine or gay.
    All Chinese men?

  30. #30

    Default Re: Bad Experience in China: Eau Sauvage attracted The Police.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    All Chinese men?
    The older ones, like the taxi driver. Please read this exherpt from an interview by the Wharton Business School from Pennsylvania with Michael Ziegler of Asia Development Enterprise:

    http://www.knowledgeatwharton.com.cn...1&languageid=1


    China Knowledge@Wharton: Who are your main customers?

    Ziegler: Our target demographic is women between 18 and 35. It's interesting that we are starting to catch younger customers. In the U.S., some brands are targeting girls 12 and 13 for their perfume business. In China, if you look at a girl of 18, she is much more receptive than a woman of 35, because she doesn’t have a preconceived concept that it's not a good thing. It's just a new thing to her. Women, as a rule, are much more open minded than men in China. There is no way, I mean, there is absolutely no way to sell fragrance to a man over the age of 40 in China. Impossible! They think it's too feminine or whatever. Absolutely not.


    ----------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer: I am merely telling you a personal experience that I had. I don´t know if all taxi drivers in China would react in the same horrible way. I am merely telling what happened to me. Please don´t interpret what I said as a declaration that every chinese person is prejudiced against perfumes and against gays. Also, please do not assume that I am telling that there are a fixed set of rules which enable the detection of sexual preferences.
    Last edited by DanielPlainview; 23rd April 2013 at 08:24 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody here posting from China? Had experience perfume shopping in China?
    By ccspringer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29th August 2011, 07:00 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18th March 2011, 02:13 PM
  3. Are You Really Attracted to Her If............
    By Renato in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 6th October 2005, 02:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000